CSX

Great benefits
Train Conductor (Former Employee), Greenwood, SCAugust 11, 2014
great place to work
great benefits
everyday is something different and enjoyable
Good job with good pay, away from home alot.
Conductor (Former Employee), Mobile, ALAugust 10, 2014
Pros: good pay, stable company
Cons: manual labor outdoors, working away from home alot
After running some tests we take a train from Mobile to New Orleans. Standard runs is you work on the lines. As for working in the yard, we build trains by operating the engines with remotes and communicating with switchmen on radios to rearrange tracks.
The hardest part of working on the line is being away from home half the week or more.
great pay/ bad schedule
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 5, 2014
freight conductor can be an enjoyable job. hardest parts of the day may include working outside and high stress situations. I have gained a vast knowledge of mechanical experience I did not have.
Excellent wages!
Clerk (Current Employee), Grafton, WVAugust 4, 2014
CSX is an excellent company regarding compensation. However, job security does not exist.
Bittersweet Career
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDAugust 1, 2014
Pros: health and retirement benefits
Cons: way too many to name; no holiday pay, on call 24 hours 6 days a week, harassment by management, the list goes on.
Although I appreciate and take pride in my railroad career and enjoy working outdoors while knowing that my efforts keep our economy moving, I also have to consider the work environment provided by local and regional management is deemed hostile. Ask any employee of this railroad and they will tell you, CSX "hires to fire". From local management hiding – more... in the bushes (literally) watching you as you work with sole intentions of trying to catch you making a safety infraction, to the Company's blatant disregard to honoring contracted union agreements, there's no wonder why many of its employees are literally there for the money, not the quality of life. – less
Married to the job
Roadmaster/Supervisor (Former Employee), Social Circle, GAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: family/home life
CSXT provides fantastic pay and benefits and opportunity for advancement. However, the work to family time ratio is very stressful on the home life. Safety is an issue with any railroad and must be top priority for the company and employee. CSX offered a great opportunity to learn a new field of engineering and management, for which I am grateful. I – more... met a lot of great people and built relationships with clients in management that I still maintain today. – less
Not a place for a family
Locomotive Engineer and Safety Representative (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 15, 2014
Not where you want to work if you have a family. Long hours away from home, on call, and no consideration for things that come up out of the blue
drive all the brand new vehicles before anyone else does
Driver (Former Employee), jessup MDJuly 3, 2014
good place to work, the pay rate is great , great benefits, learn alot about vehicles
Very fun and up tempo.
Switch Crew Operator (Former Employee), Jacksonville floridaJune 30, 2014
this was a very hard working job. I prepared for each day as if it was my if it was my first day at work.
my job duties
Railroad Conductor (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 22, 2014
• Supervise the switching, loading/uploading, breaking or making up of trains.

• Travel with the train its assigned route. Inspect all equipment on cars prior to departures. Receive and review instructions from instructions from dispatchers, Yardmasters, and station agents and ensure all train orders, signals and railroad rules and regulations are – more... complied with.

• Prepare required reports, including train bulletins, switch industry work order, etc. Utilize onboard computer systems to process payroll and other information.

• Assist and instruct crews to couple and uncouple cars, operate switches, and make minor repair to car railcars. Including replacing heavy couplings or air brake hoses. – less
Fun, never boring, outdoor job
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJune 12, 2014
Loved not being behind a desk all day. Drove a freight train from Mobile, AL to New Orleans, LA. Team-effort job. Bosses kept in constant communication to make sure we had everything we needed.
Alot of good people work here
electrician (Former Employee), Allston, MAJune 10, 2014
Pros: allowed to take company truck home
Cons: job safety
At times could be too much work put on one person.But overall a good place to work with good benefits.
Fun and Safe place to work
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 9, 2014
Busy, busy full of safety, dealings with State projects, providing estimates, processing invoice. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing that safety measures were met.
Hard job,very demanding
Railroad Conductor (Current Employee), Etowah, TNJune 5, 2014
Pros: great benefits and great money
Cons: no schedule
Work all hours of the day and night.They are tough.I learned patience,wisdom and people are not always what they seem.Management is hardcore.Some co-workers are great but most are terrible human beings.Hard to get use to no schedule is the hardest part of the job.Most enjoyable part was quitting time.
Good safety oriented company
Yardmaster (Current Employee), Lima, OHMay 12, 2014
if you are in the T&E crafts it is a completely different lifestyle. Be prepared to not see milestones in your childs life and other family gatherings.
Productive and Challenging Workplace
Trainmaster (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMay 8, 2014
Managing Train and service employees and meeting deadlines as it pertains to building trains and departing trains
Good Benefits
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Hinton, WVMay 5, 2014
Good pay and benefits but with very little time at home. Management system was very hard to work for.
A lot of grey area when you are new.
Freight Train Conductor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 4, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: management
U never know where you will be. You might not have a job or you could be making well over six figures. Crew was awesome but management sucked! A good amount of stress but you are well compensated.
Hard work/16 hour days
Yard Jockey (Former Employee), Kearny, NJApril 27, 2014
Great pay but questionable practices. Safety important but efficiency overshadows safety.
Excellent company to work for with a team work environment.
Superintendent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 19, 2014
Pros: knowing at the end of the day that i had made the correct decisions to meet company expectations
Cons: hours occasionally interfered with personal responsibilities.
A typical day at work would begin at five a.m. and often would end as late as ten p.m. with on call responsibilities. I learned how to work with many different individuals with different backgrounds and personalities: utilize these people in positions that cater to their strengths. The hardest part of the job was to prioritize work and be proactive – more... in a short amount of time that would meet the company expectations and serve the customers in a timely and efficient manner without disruption. The most enjoyable part of working for CSX was knowing I had performed to the best of my abilities and being rewarded each year through the Performance Management Evaluations. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About CSX

CSX, based in Jacksonville, Fla., is a transportation company providing rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services. – Read more