CSX Employee Reviews

Fast paced , challenging.
Intermodal Service Rep. (Former Employee) –  Bedford Park, IL22 June 2017
On a typical day at work I would enter 600-800 trlrs/cont. into system.
I learned how to manage people that really did not want to perform. I also learned to multi-task. The people at CSX are definitely cut throat. The managers were ok. The hardest part of the job was the other people who worked there. They didn't really care about doing the work, and this in turn made me work harder. The enjoyable part of the job was working with consolidatiors, cust.serv. reps, and truck drivers.
Benefits
Cons
Other employees
A safty focused co.
Engineer / Conductor (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VA21 June 2017
opinion , work day stats when your called, learned to work safely at all times, management enforces safety from their perspective, culture is being away from home 12 + hours,
Pros
free family picknicks
Cons
long days and stay away from home in hotels.
Workplace that is committed to safety
Railroad track inspector (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL17 June 2017
I worked for csx for 4 years, I had to resign due to family matters or otherwise I wouldn't have left this job. They are committed to safety, both for their employees and for the safe operation of trains.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, and a regular schedule
Typical workday
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN15 June 2017
Nice Place to work. Clean environment safe place to work. Management was cool. Work schedule was very flexible and conducive to my family lifestyle...
Intresting and fun and challenging place to work
Train Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD15 June 2017
This Company has had many changes in my 23 years of employment.
I have always felt that there has been a good give and take as both a union employee and a management employee
The people are great to work with and for the most part are all keyed in on one common goal to make the company better.
Railroad Job
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN14 June 2017
Working for the railroad is the best job I've ever had and hope it will be my lifelong career. However, it is very hard to work for some of the railroads as they are very money-driven and do not seem to care about the workers that they may hurt in the process of chasing the dollar bill. The railroads are constantly trying to trim as much cost as possible to increase profits. This often means people lose their jobs. Currently, CSX has hired a new CEO and he is making rapid changes to the current operating practices. He is also consolidating and closing resources, which means people either have to move or are released from their jobs. Meanwhile, the employees that are left are required to do more work without any more training or guidance. It's a good paying job with excellent benefits, thanks mostly to the unions, but I'm not sure how long the constriction of manpower, equipment and locations can continue.
Pros
Good paying for little to no college education, great benefits
Cons
Management can be fickle, Upper management doesn't care what happens to the laborers
was a great job
Machinist/700 Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Avon, IN12 June 2017
worked their 12.6 years. loved the job and people. the last 2 years a new manager came in and it became so hostile that 7 lower managers quit. in the last 6 months the pressure being put on craft employees forced some to quit. taking jobs with less pay, benefits and little to no retirement. a large percentage of the work force was then laid off. would go back?
Pros
job security, benifits
Cons
management
stress and strain
Retired (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, NY12 June 2017
The industry as a whole is interesting work. The corporate culture at CSX fosters low morale and thus, low productivity...............................
Pros
The pay and benefits
Cons
Managerial attitude and structure for advancement is something out of the mid-20thC.
We are there to work not play games
Phosephate Eng (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FL11 June 2017
The day starts off with a safety meeting then we talk about what work we must do where and how we are to do the job and who is to work together or by themselves then we set out to do our work. We work until lunch or dinner breaks. Then return to our jobs until time to leave. and then we clean all tools put them away in their proper places clean up our selves and get ready to leave for home . While we work we try to do our jobs the safest Quickest way possible and we try to do good work. The hardest part of the job is when things do not work right like tools breaking or hot or cold conditions making it harder to work or things not coming apart or going together the right way. And we must work together as a team. and we find that our jobs work better ,faster we enjoy doing our work. T.hat would be the best part of the job . The most enjoyable part of our job is seeing the job completed on time and done right..
Pros
We always enjoyed lunch from the company for working safe
Cons
short water breaks are good in hot conditions
was a good job
DIESEL ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  IN7 June 2017
good job until new ceo ruined the company just for more money with major cuts and layoffs making over a billion dollars in profits wasn't enough has to get more so sad
Good Thing Gone Bad
Manager (Current Employee) –  Selkirk, NY6 June 2017
CSX has been secure job up until the CEO changed if you have the right connections you'll do well. At the moment the future of the company is unknown with extreme cuts to the workforce. The work is hard, but you learn to appreciate it. Overall, it's a good company with many risk, and attitudes. The dynamic is changing more into performance driven instead of quality performance.
Pros
Pay and Benfits
Cons
Work/Life Balance and Time off
New leadership focuses solely on costs
Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL6 June 2017
CSX has a history of a strong culture based on core values of safety first; customer focus throughout all departments and achieving results ethically. With the advent of new leadership selected by Wall Street, the company is transitioning from a long term focused, sustainable and value added platform for earnings to an immediate move to implement a low-cost-provider strategy. The transition will be challenging for employees, until a balance status quo is achieved. The attributes that made CSX a great place to work will be be sacrificed to achieve a low cost operation.
Pros
Healthy but not overly generous compensation and benefits
Cons
Work life balance and culture
worst place to work
Utility worker (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MD3 June 2017
the job is a great job. the work is interesting and fun. management is horrible. they look for reasons to fire people. all the head guys are worried about is making a dollar
Pros
good pay
Cons
management is the worst causing it to be a terrible place to work
Great Place to work
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL28 May 2017
Awesome place to work, everyone is willing to help. There are plenty of opportunities within the company to allow someone to get any experience they want to.
Pros
Work Life Balance
Cons
On-call 24x7 during rotation
Engineering (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL27 May 2017
Great culture. Very busy, nights and weekend work as well. Four weeks a year vacation after five years of service. Pension and 401K plans included.
Csx
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Fitzgerald, GA25 May 2017
Well paying company and when your not furloughed it's a great job. In my 3 years of working for csx I believe it would provide for a good life for your family.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No home life
No Life
Conductor/Engineer Trainee (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, AL24 May 2017
Be prepared to miss children grow up and not have a life really outside of work. You are on call 24 hrs 7 days a week. You don't get paid holidays except if you work certain jobs. Just be prepared to live out of a travel bag.
Sr. Java Full Stack Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL24 May 2017
I have learn a lot from team and work culture and ethics they follow.
Transition from water-flow methodology to Agile was good.
there was opportunity to learn different technology.
Paid well, can be stressful at times
Assistant Manager Customer Operations (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL24 May 2017
My position is a fast paced high pressure one that can lead to many stressful days or working on your off days. However, we are compensated well for it
Pros
They pay, benefits, pension
Cons
High stress, unfulfilling
fast paced
Conductor/ Control Operator/ Foreman/ Switchman (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, AL 3610423 May 2017
A typical day consists of a fast paced always changing work schedule that challenges the mind and requires constant use of mental and physical skill. its given me a great outlook on the ability to please coworkers an customers each and everyday.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CSX. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8