CSX

CSX Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
High Energy and Ever changing work enviroment
Logistics Operations Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 25, 2015
Pros: challenging work
Cons: absolutely no home life
14 hour work days with a 5 day on 2 days off schedule. Ive learned how to make rapid decisions on the fly in a fast paced work environm ent. I have great co workers which is the most enjoyable part of the job. the hardest part of the job is work /home life balance..there is none!!!
great people
car inspector (Former Employee), West Springfield, MAMarch 25, 2015
it was a job with a lot of responsibility. and total concentration. your live depended on it everyday. and so did the decisions that i made would be life threatening for my fellow workers.
good pay, bad management
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Walbridge, OHMarch 13, 2015
Pros: pay
Cons: what work schedule
The company works its way to finding ways to hang you out to dry. They work to fire you the moment you mark up as a conductor. The only benefit was the pay and health.
Work with alot of wonderful people and travel everyday.
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee), Willard, OHMarch 11, 2015
Pros: great benefits and pay.
Cons: away from family and miss alot of events with the family. not a family oriented company.
CSX is not a family oriented place to work. I have been there 15 years and alot has changed. You work everyday, even when you are sick as a dog. The only thing that keeps a person going is the great people we work with. The work we do takes a toll on our health daily. Our jobs aren't the hardest, but we have very stressful jobs and are not treated very well by our managers.
enjoyed working with this company.
locomotive engineer (Former Employee), cayce scMarch 10, 2015
Pros: available training
Cons: lack of communication between employees and management.
working for CSX has helped me to understand the different aspects of teamwork in Transportation. I have learned that it takes a team effort to accomplish the goal of customer satisfaction. This has to come from everyone working together. My co workers are the best part of this job. The diversity of working with so many different people brings a lot of fun to the job.
Good job
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 9, 2015
its a good job but be prepared for a lopsided work life balance. Pay is good but must be able to adapt to the lifestyle. Management really has no clue what is going on.
I loved working for CSX, But hours and Travel were not conducive to family life
Freight Conductor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 8, 2015
I always wanted to work for the Railroad and was given the chance CSX. I did very well at school for Conductor training and was looking forward to making this job my home. Unfortunately that was not going to happen. My wife and children were not happy with me being gone for the long hours and even days at a time and the 110 mile round trip was not much fun either after working long hours. I wish that I would have had a solution to the problem but the only one was to stop working for the railroad for my family. I am now doing some contracting work on my own to fill in the gap until I am able to find a permanent position elsewhere.
Good Over all
Conductor (Former Employee), Decatur ILMarch 7, 2015
Pros: money
Cons: noe
It is a great place over all. The only bad thing is they tend to over hire sometimes and that leads to being layed off. Just go by the rules and dont cut corners.
great place to work
Locomotive Engineer / Freight Conductor (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMarch 2, 2015
Pros: different work environment everyday.
Cons: long hours
love working at csx-transportation the job changed everyday. i loved working out doors in all kinds of weather,loved running the trains and going to different parts of the country.
Culture where people make the difference
Talent Acquisition Talent Advisor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 26, 2015
CSX has improved the culture significantly during the time I've been here (21 years). I appreciate working in an environment where I feel valued.
Great place to work.
Lead Technician (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: good working conditions. great employees to work for. recognition for a job well done.
Cons: remote communications
8 to 10 hours a day to include after hour response to remote user. Accepted, troubleshot and resolved an average of 15 tickets and at least 3 projects per day. Learned how to install, upgrade hardware and software. Became ITIL certified, learned how to use Active Directory and how to troubleshoot the network connectivity issues. CSX management went out of their way to ensure that we technicians had the full corporation of all CSX employees when it came to resolving PC issues. I was invited to join all inclusion Groups within the company and was always recognized for my Military Service during the annual Military Appreciation Day and Parade. I was rewarded with a monetary bonus for a job well done on many occasions. The coworkers at SouthPoint are super techs, I was not to fond of the other tech work ethics at the other locations, but had to fill in to help them from failure on resolving tickets and projects. The hardest part of the job was not being able to connect with the Remote users due to communications issues. My most enjoyable part of my job was how I was treated by all the CSX VIPs, managers and clerks.
Very demanding
Conductor (Former Employee), Cumberland, MDFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: great pay and benefits
Cons: horrible work/life balance, managers are overly strict
This job will take everything you have, plus a lot more. The work/life balance is non-existent. You are on call at all times.

Beyond that, the benefits cannot be beat. If you are able to do this job, you will reap a lot of rewards.

Management can be too strict at times. There is a culture of not caring about life outside of work. When it is time to go to work, there are no excuses.
Great pay but its tough life to live
Conductor (Former Employee), MAFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: great pay, exciting job
Cons: no personal life, can be called to work anytime
A great paying job that is fin at times. Has great challenges that never seem to go away. You will need to learn a lot and practice safety in everything that you do day in and day out. It is really tough to have a personal life and work the railroad at the same time, be sure that this job is for you before you take it.
Fast paced working enviroment.
Train Dispatcher (Former Employee), Calumet City, ILFebruary 5, 2015
A normal day at work consist of getting to work, at least 15-30 min early to receive an in depth dispatcher turnover. Becoming aware of the locations and disposition of each and every train and train crew on my territory. One of the major qualities/skills I learned to hone was the ability to multi-task and work under pressure. My co-workers, the way we worked, or my motto was the key to continuous movement of trains was safety and communication. If anything deviated from our original plan, say a train has engine failure or inadequate power, we would have a contingency plan to keep rail traffic moving. Roughly, the hardest part of the job was adverse weather snow, ice, flash floods, wash outs. The most rewarding part of the job is being able to accomplish the daily objectives given to me by my Chief Dispatchers and successfully move rail traffic through the Chicago rail corridor.
If you dont mind getting after it.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Richmond, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Good pay that will support you and your family insurance is great. Depending on your craft your family time may be short at times, but it evens out.
Treats employees well, but you never know if you might lose your job
Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: uncertain job security, difficulty in advancing within, corporate politics affect their decisions
CSX treats their employees well, pays well and spends a lot of time on development.

Advancement is not easy within the company. Also, being a publicly held company there are lay-offs when business is down and you never know if you might be laid off. I unexpectedly lost my job after they putting me through a special one-year mentorship program established for high-performing employees. To get accepted I had to apply, answer essay questions, get 2 letters of recommendation and pass a panel interview. They choose only 15 employees out of 3,000 employees for these special programs. Then a few months after graduate the program, reaching all my goals, they eliminate my job.
Trainmaster (Former Employee), Atlanta DivisionJanuary 27, 2015
Awful work and life balance in the field/transportation which is only slightly acceptable due to great pay, but that feeling quickly disappears and you simply hope they relocate you to another location and increase your pay before you get tired of 24/7 on call or 10+ days on 2 off,
CSX Life
Imaging Analyst & Contract Research, CSX (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: casual days, allowed to manage your work without contraints of micro management.
Cons: outdated applications, non integrated systems.
A typical workday at CSX Properties Group requires the use of many technical applications to aide in decision making. This includes geo-spatial mapping tools, image storage systems, reports, and contract databases. I learned to utilize data across many platforms to achieve a dynamic result. Management offers guidance in effectively analyzing researched information and presenting results to the initial requestor. Both employee and manager are mutually held accountable for planning, implementing and reporting Annual Goals. The hardest part of the job was locating uncaptured stored records and matching with data from source material. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the team to improve processes to streamline production of work.
Liked working For CSX
Locomotive engineer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 20, 2015
I was I didn't decide to go to work for The new company, CSX was always good to there employees and Stressed safty and rule compliance.
Safety is a way of life
Process Improvement Manager (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: everything!
Cons: possible lay-off
We do not walk and talk on our phones and we back into ALL parking spaces. We also ALWAYS use hand rails and wear all personal protective gear within 25 feet of trains and the rail.

1 2 3 4 5

About CSX

CSX, based in Jacksonville, Fla., is a transportation company providing rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services. – Read more