CSX Employee Reviews

High stress, no work-life balance and layoffs galore
Management Employee (HQ Office) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL15 December 2016
CSX is not what it used to be. The environment is tense and employees are on edge. More than 4,500 people have been furloughed or laid off over the last 18 months or so. Work-life balance is non-existent and you are expected to be available 24/7. There is no security at the company and I would strongly urge anyone interested in this company to think twice before joining. The pay is good, but definitely not worth all the stress and headache. The company is very military-style culturally and new ideas and ways of thinking are not tolerated. The mission statement says the company is "progressive" but it is far from that.

If you enjoy being micro-managed or don't have a family, friends or hobbies - then this is the company for you.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Old-school mentality, no work-life balance
Overalls good company to work for
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL30 September 2016
CSX is a good company. Great compensation and benefits but the environment is very challenging and demanding. It is a 24/7 environment even in HR so you can expect to work over 50 hours a week including weekends, nights, and during vacation. Checking email on your phone is a constant to keep up. You must have flexibility and plenty of free time. Also the majority of the employees are unionized. Senior leadership have good intentions but can be one sided often. As a result, its hard to reinforce policies consistently across all business units and employees know it. Its slow to progess upward unless you impress the right people early in your career. Otherwise you will find yourself trying to reinvent yourself to stay challenged.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Great company
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL3 September 2016
CSX Transportation is a great company in which to be employed. The benefits and compensation are very good.

Most employees are very safety oriented especially in an operations setting in the field. Some know the rule book by heart and can recall any rule and recite it without prompting.

Training is probably the best part of CSX from an advancement standpoint. While I was there I was trained on aspects of the business that I never dreamed I would ever know. The general feeling is the more you know the better an employee you will be.

I've held several positions there both contract and non-contract and there was hardly a day that could be considered typical. You literally learn something new everyday.
Pros
Great benefits, compensation and development opportunities
Cons
Management can be a bit narrow minded
A tough, stressful occupation, with choice of family life, or money
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GA24 January 2017
Great benefits, good retirement. Can be seriously dangerous if you arent alert and safety conscious. A lot of nepotism among higher management. An insurance policy known as "run-off " insurance is a must. Everyone that works as union labor has been run-off at least once. Many rules are arbitrary and pointless. Many managers are nothing more than rule enforcing evaluators with no job experience. A lot of managers have a quota of discipline. In Jacksonville Division, a manager was required to have 60 test failures per month. Most resulting in days off without pay. The other engineers and conductors were great comrades and friends, trying to do the job safely and remain injury free. All while locked in an adversarial relation with managers who were expected and pressured to fire them. Money was good. Stress terrible.
Pros
Benefits excellent, money very good.
Cons
Days long and tiring.
Hard work decent people & fair management
Jockey / Yard Driver (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OH3 November 2016
Coming in the door it could be a lot to learn and very hard work. This job is for people who are ok with working outside. It didn't take long for me to work my way up to a jockey driver considering i have my CDL and knew a little about the container business. Management is very fair to those that come to work and not to play around. The hardest part of the job is being the ground man & coming in the door that will be your first position. The most enjoyable part about the job is working from the jockey truck. You still have to work hard & be productive but talking to co workers over the radio makes time go by or if you're the quiet type you can just stay to your self
Great Pay and Benefits Bad Management and NO LIFE
Crew Management Clerk-Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL21 September 2016
Extremely short staffed was forced to work 16 hour shifts and on average 64 hours a week and would only be notified of being forced within minutes of the next shift starting making it extremely difficult to have a family or to plan anything. We were not allowed to leave the job once the shift started so you would have to plan your meals for 16 hours with minimal sleep in between shifts as if you were on the extraboard you would be subject to call 2 hours prior to the shift. The upside great benefits and pay. Good job for a young person with no kids or family who only wants to work and make money.
Pros
pay, benefits, job is not too complicated
Cons
excessive hours, unreasonable management, no real way to move out the crew management department
Tough political corporate culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL24 August 2016
Between an insane amount of "special projects" in addition to your regular duties and its aggressive office politics, it is a difficult place to work. If you can navigate political landmines and manage to get on the good side of someone important, there is opportunity to be successful. If you like to genuinely work hard and be rewarded for the work you do, this is not the right place for you.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
low trust, unsafe to express varying opinions, ineffective HR
Productive, beneficial but time consuming
conductor/ rco (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA5 July 2016
Csx is not for the faint of heart. A very dangerous hands on career that commands one hundred percent dedication. The management isn't bad, but can be very unreliable like any other job. I have learned how to be more efficient with my time as you operate on a schedule that is not solid at all. The hardest part of the job is just that, living your life at the mercy of a phone call to come in that you can never predict, 24 hours a day. They thing that makes it all worth l=while is the immaculate benefits, travel and opportunity to meet new people while having employment that is very essential to the entire world.
Csx
Intermodal Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GA26 January 2017
Work day may consist of any where from 8 to 16 hour workdays. I learned a great deal of loading procedures and operating front loaders for containers. Management was ok but only worried about the job and not the employees. The hardest part of the job was the long hours that was demanding and the most enjoyable part was working with others to accomplish the goals for the day.
Pros
Great Pay
Very corporate environment
Human Resource Specialist Transportation (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL14 August 2016
The company is large and very corporate. The executives and senior management can be disconnected from their staff at times but it's because it's a very large company with thousands of employees. The Headquarters building downtown Jacksonville has their own cafeteria with good food so you don't have to walk several blocks for lunch. The company pushes for donations for United Way and cares about charity. You are expected to work 40+ hours per week or whatever it takes to get the job done. The company is already well established in their growth so it may take a while for advancement because someone has to retire or quit for a position to open up (depending on what department you work in or if you are willing to relocate). The company has a good pension.
Great job, with no job security
Engineering- Machine/Vehicle Operator, Foreman (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MI2 February 2017
Great job with great pay, but absolutely no security. Management could not care less about our job and the company constantly cut or relocated jobs for no reason. The company always preached safety but would expect you to break rules in order to get the job done faster.
Pros
coworkers, different job sites, pay, pension
Cons
healthcare, management, job security
Good Pay and Benefits with bad work/life balance
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KY10 May 2016
A typical day for me is taking a train from Louisville to Cincinnati, resting at a hotel, then bringing a train back. I learned that enjoy being a locomotive engineer. Local management seems to be fair and typically care about their employees, upper management not so much. My co-workers are a great bunch that I enjoy to be around. The hardest part of the and really the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of schedule and lack of sleep. Always being on call and never knowing when you're going to work, day or night, any hour. The most enjoyable part of the job is the travel, operating locomotives, and the comeradere you develop with co workers.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
bad work/life balance with the lack of a schedule
Pay, benefits & Pension only positive
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, NY26 August 2016
CSX is a railroad that is continuously trying to streamline their operation. Their approach these days is do more with less. Jobs are constantly being cut throughout their entire system. CSX fully holds contractual employees accountable for everything and it is a constant management vs contractual employees. The work life balance is non-existent. CSX is not a good fit for someone that is not willing to have inconsistent days off and a home life.
Positive Work Environment
Administrative Assistant / Special Projects (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL15 February 2017
I was a Contract Employee working as an Administrative Assistant to one of the Vice Presidents of Purchasing and Materials. A typical day would start with getting any special duties from my direct report and acting accordingly. I would schedule all of her travel arrangements, meeting, lunches, etc. Assist the other workers within my area as needed. I was responsible to maintain and organize contracts with vendors for the railroad. I assisted with the purchasing of ice and salt for the entire railroad and ensuring the products were received as required by CSX. I participated with cost saving projects and help implement any changes required. I took minutes during various staff and vendor meeting and published them to the appropriate staff. The work place culture was very professional and safety oriented. The time I spent at CSX I was very enjoyable, the work was challenging and I am grateful for the opportunity to have been part of the team.
Pros
Challenging, focus oriented, saftey concious.
Cons
Contract employee
Great pay, but terrible company and management.
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GA1 June 2016
I actually didn't hate my time with the company. Had some nice co-workers and the job was actually fun. Management and the CEO on the other hand were terrible. They preach safety out here but will turn a blind eye to it until it effects production. They give you a rule book the size of a phone book and you are expected to memorize them all. Yeah like that's possible especially when you have a rule revision every week! Kiss your social life goodbye. Everything is based around seniority so you'll basically be on call for the foreseeable future. Then the worst part is this is a billion dollar company that wants to nickel and dime you. Paychecks would regularly be short and claims would regularly be denied for work you had done. I've also never seen a company spend so much money training a person just to fire them on a whim. The company has lost touch with what makes it work and that's the employees. I'd recommend this job to a younger person as it has great pay and no education necessary, but for someone with an established family it would be hard since you basically wouldn't see them.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management, have to fight for your money, no work/life balance.
Co-Workers like family. Pay and benefits good. Diversity and inclusion poor. Union vs. Management conflicts strong.
Management (Former Employee) –  Headquarters and Field6 September 2016
CSX is an overall good place to work. The change in leadership has negatively impacted the culture and employee satisfaction. Significant layoffs, do more with less management, no real concern for safety and diversity as there had been in years past. Good old boy politics at an all time high.
Overall good company
Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL20 March 2016
This is a good company to work for, however as with many companies promotion is more often based on a network of friends and not actual qualifications. Benefits are good, and pay is as well however the culture of the workplace can vary depending on the people, and particularly the management that you work among. Overall I would recommend this company to anyone offered a job, but be prepared for people with agendas and to play the politics game with coworkers and managers alike.
Pros
Pay, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Who you know and are friends with, not what you know when being promoted
Fun workplace, not so fun management
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Martin, Shelby, Paintsville, and Russell, Ky16 July 2016
I'll admit, I loved the job. Most of the men I worked with were like brothers. That helped a lot since there's not much time for family life. Be prepared to miss a lot of holidays and birthdays while working. There is NO job security. If it gets slow, you get laid off. The union is a joke. It belongs to the company.
Pros
Pay and benefits, employee brotherhood
Cons
Being away from family, frequent lay offs, union dues are the same as flushing money down the toilet
Solid Company with Many job opportunities
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MI5 August 2016
Working for CSX allowed me to learn all aspects of the Sales and Transportation business. Allotted many opportunities to expand my career from Intermodal, Auto Operations to Sales in the commodity of Metal. The company is competitive and open to building employees up to their fullest capabilities.
Productive, great place to work and love working outdoors and with others to get the job done.
Conductor/Remote control operator (Former Employee) –  Willard, OH25 January 2017
Switching out freight cars to build outgoing trains
Learned the importance of safety and working as a team
Hardest thing to deal with was the weather and being outside in all the elements.
Management is very strict on how the job has to be done.
Even though being outside in rain or shine I enjoyed doing it.

2.8