CSX Employee Reviews

Hostile and miserable place to be employed
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 22, 2016
It's a company that takes and takes and takes and gives nothing back, it's the type of place that will reward you for one week for something done and then punish you the next for the exact same thing. There is people in charge who have absolutely no knowledge of what's being done, and therefore there is no accountability held towards things done inaccurately, and they cut cut cut and expect more and more out of people while trying their best to tear you down and replace your job.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Hours, lack of life, no reward, hostile
Very demanding hard to balance work and personal life.
Engineering Manager (Roadmaster in Training) (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 21, 2016
There is never a dull moment on the railroad. Most of the time you work long hours in the extreme conditions of the weather. This job is very demanding because it requires you to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Fun and productive work place.
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 21, 2016
Awesome place to work for.
All the full time agents are very knowledgable and helpful.

This place is great with tons of laid back time, especially the weekend.
Fun workplace, not so fun management
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Martin, Shelby, Paintsville, and Russell, KyJuly 16, 2016
I'll admit, I loved the job. Most of the men I worked with were like brothers. That helped a lot since there's not much time for family life. Be prepared to miss a lot of holidays and birthdays while working. There is NO job security. If it gets slow, you get laid off. The union is a joke. It belongs to the company.
Pros
Pay and benefits, employee brotherhood
Cons
Being away from family, frequent lay offs, union dues are the same as flushing money down the toilet
okay job
Field Clerk (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 11, 2016
The benefits are good but you are always having to think if you are going to have a job the next day because of cuts that corporate was pushing.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
Corporate Management is always wanting to cut off jobs
Productive, beneficial but time consuming
conductor/ rco (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 5, 2016
Csx is not for the faint of heart. A very dangerous hands on career that commands one hundred percent dedication. The management isn't bad, but can be very unreliable like any other job. I have learned how to be more efficient with my time as you operate on a schedule that is not solid at all. The hardest part of the job is just that, living your life at the mercy of a phone call to come in that you can never predict, 24 hours a day. They thing that makes it all worth l=while is the immaculate benefits, travel and opportunity to meet new people while having employment that is very essential to the entire world.
Furlough
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MDJuly 1, 2016
This is a good company to work for and in the city they are in provides a great living. The problem came with the furlough process, as soon as I completed training and was a full fledged conductor I was furloughed for nine months and unfortunately bills had to be paid and the kids wanted to eat so I looked for and found other employment before being called back-at 2AM.
Pros
Great job. Loved riding in the trains.
Cons
Furlough process
good pay and benefits
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Walbridge, OHJune 18, 2016
A lot of rules and responsibility. Safety is the most important thing. Management always puts pressure on when things aren't going as planned but otherwise helpful. Most co-workers are great to work with.Hardest part is being on call working alot of different jobs until you have been there a few years until you can hold a regular position, being on call 24/7/365. Pay and benefits.
fun
freight conductor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 16, 2016
fun but not good for new family. hard to get paid correctly. layoffs happen often. Work in all types of weather. But training is paid
Productive and Enjoyed working at CSX
Tableau Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 13, 2016
a great honor to work at CSX. Enjoyed working with different teams, applications and with business. I really appreciate that the company allows flexibility in your workday. My co-workers are easy to work with, and I feel supported by team leads.
good place to work
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 7, 2016
was on call 24/7 i enjoyed getting called for work and once getting there i would get all the necessary paper work that was needed to perform the task that I was ask to perform.once this was done I would then prepare to go to the Train and assume responsibility of my train.Me and my crew would then try and perform our duties as safe and proficient as we could
Pros
bonuses
Cons
dont remember any.
good pay and benefits
conductor / locomotive engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 6, 2016
Working for CSX was a job that I liked. However it is a job that when working for this company you do not see a lot of time at home. You will miss a lot of holidays with family, school events for your kids and things like that. Otherwise the job was great. The pay was good and the company overall was pretty good to work for. If you are a family man I would suggest a different job if it bothers you being away from family.It is more suited for a single person with no ties.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
never home
Great pay, but terrible company and management.
Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAJune 1, 2016
I actually didn't hate my time with the company. Had some nice co-workers and the job was actually fun. Management and the CEO on the other hand were terrible. They preach safety out here but will turn a blind eye to it until it effects production. They give you a rule book the size of a phone book and you are expected to memorize them all. Yeah like that's possible especially when you have a rule revision every week! Kiss your social life goodbye. Everything is based around seniority so you'll basically be on call for the foreseeable future. Then the worst part is this is a billion dollar company that wants to nickel and dime you. Paychecks would regularly be short and claims would regularly be denied for work you had done. I've also never seen a company spend so much money training a person just to fire them on a whim. The company has lost touch with what makes it work and that's the employees. I'd recommend this job to a younger person as it has great pay and no education necessary, but for someone with an established family it would be hard since you basically wouldn't see them.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management, have to fight for your money, no work/life balance.
Learning experience
Intermodal Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bedford Park, ILMay 18, 2016
Responsible for Troubleshooting brakes, brake beams, control rods, brake shoes and making sure piston travels are correct so that the cars on the train carrying supplies can leave out of the terminal 100% inspected and completed by making the proper adjustments to ensure our customer products are being properly cared for.
fun place to work
CSX/ AJRS head supervisor/ manager (Current Employee) –  Jessup, MDMay 16, 2016
Very productive, must be able to work long hours and be able to handle any stress issues that occur. You will get your hands dirty.
Good Pay and Benefits with bad work/life balance
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 10, 2016
A typical day for me is taking a train from Louisville to Cincinnati, resting at a hotel, then bringing a train back. I learned that enjoy being a locomotive engineer. Local management seems to be fair and typically care about their employees, upper management not so much. My co-workers are a great bunch that I enjoy to be around. The hardest part of the and really the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of schedule and lack of sleep. Always being on call and never knowing when you're going to work, day or night, any hour. The most enjoyable part of the job is the travel, operating locomotives, and the comeradere you develop with co workers.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
bad work/life balance with the lack of a schedule
• Over 8 years of IT experience in the areas of Object Oriented Analysis, Design, Development, Testing, Deployment.Expertise in Server side developmen
Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 2, 2016
Proficient in developing advanced web-based applications design and development using Java, J2EE, Servlets, JSP, JSTL,Full stack,Struts, Spring, Hibernate, ANT, Eclipse, XML, XSLT, JDBC, WSAD and Databases.
Great Career
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 28, 2016
CSX is a great company to work for if you don't mind being away from home. You have to stay "marked up" i.e. ready for work and on call to make decent money. if that is what you are willing to do and don't mind being called in at ANY time...
great place to work if you can handel fiberglass
SHEET METAL WORKER (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYApril 26, 2016
great place to work, good people to work with, good benefits, no room for advancement, management is ok, work in fiberglass, four days of work then four days off
No day was ever the same and there was always something new to learn
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2016
While working at the data center at CSX I learned numerous helpful thing which enriched my knowledge of technology. I learned how to troubleshoot and deploy hardware and software while maintaining good customer relations. The environment was enjoyable and I even got to practice using my network skills aiding users and entire sites that were down
Pros
learning, challenges, training
Cons
structure changes

2.8