CSX Employee Reviews

Overall good company
Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 20, 2016
This is a good company to work for, however as with many companies promotion is more often based on a network of friends and not actual qualifications. Benefits are good, and pay is as well however the culture of the workplace can vary depending on the people, and particularly the management that you work among. Overall I would recommend this company to anyone offered a job, but be prepared for people with agendas and to play the politics game with coworkers and managers alike.
Pros
Pay, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Who you know and are friends with, not what you know when being promoted
CSX Transportaion
Manager safety and operating practices (Current Employee) –  OhioMarch 10, 2016
CSX is a great company to work for and provides excellent benefits. Most jobs are a non-typical schedule meaning you don't see a lot of weekends or holidays off. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to work with CSX. They have given me a tremendous amount of training in several areas. In a management position, you are often required to work with very little supervision. You must be able to account for your time as required.
Pros
Salary, Insurance, Retirement
Cons
Job security
Challenging career with great long term rewards
Foreman/ Conductor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 7, 2016
CSX is a class 1 freight railroad company that challenges their employees to give 100% everyday. The company is extremely adamant about safety. Their rule book is 400 pages front and back and you are required to acknowledge and follow every one of them every day. You must be able to multitask in harsh environments and problem solve with little to no help. You have no schedule as you work on call and will sometimes spend extensive hours in a hotel. coping with stressful situations is a must. Personally I enjoy the challenges every time I go to work as the job is anything but boring or mundane.
Pros
Competitive wages, vacation, decent salary, top notch retirement
Cons
Furloughs, poor management relations, on call schedule, outdoors
If you can keep it....
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Avon, INJanuary 19, 2016
The job is good and the pay is great. One problem is that your home life is pretty much gone. I knew this going into it, so I knew what to expect. I'm just giving a heads up to people that are very family oriented. This job isn't for you. The biggest problem is job security. You never know when you may be furloughed or when you may get called back. They hire a ridiculous number of people and then end up laying them all off. I have a year and a half and can't hold a job now. I've been furloughed 3 times. Now is not the time to join the railroad. Aside from that it's an awesome job. If I were able to hold a position and feel comfortable in it, I would definitely recommend it as a place to work. Again, it's just not something to look into due to the current economic conditions.
Pros
Pay, benefits, work involved
Cons
Job security, away from home
Great benefits if you can keep a position.
Field Support Lead Clerk (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 23, 2016
Csx is currently combining jobs in all crafts streamlining operations. A lot of good people are finding themselves with a choice of moving or having no job. That's a tough pill to swallow when the company newsletter is constantly bragging about the profits they're making.
Pros
Good benefits and compensation
Cons
No job security and low morale.
Goor cowokes that cared about easck=h other
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Clifton Forge, VAMarch 17, 2016
Poor work schedule would only get a two hour phone call to report to work 24 hrs a day 7 days a week
Some management were more against you than to help you
Typical work day was up to 12 hrs a day
Good pay and benefits
Good coworkers that took care of each other
Pros
Good Pay, amount of vacation days, coworkers took care of each othe
Cons
lack of work schedule, Lack of instrucion from management
Railroad culture
Engineering Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2016
The culture at CSX is a tight group of dedicated professionals. the pay and benefits are good and employees hire on and stay for a career. each employee seems to take ownership of the company.
Co workers are great but management is horrible!
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Garrett, INNovember 1, 2015
People are great, engineers and conductors, management is archaic
with a us against them attitude. That the individual has nothing of value to add. Safety isn't the main focus, like the company is touting in the adds, moving freight is the only thing that matters. pay is ok and benefits are above average only due to union agreements. If you like long hours terrible working conditions and management that will not appreciate you this is a great place to work!!
Pros
benefits and co workers
Cons
hours and management
Good place to work, Need to be closer to home
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 23, 2016
I work at CSX for the maintenance of way (MOW) we repair and build track and maintain our 57 miles of track. Typical day would consist of job briefings and work detail, which could include installing rail, track ties, surfacing, gauging, excavating, installing switch points and frogs. I have learned how to manage people better and to get jobs done in a timely safe manner. Management has changed a lot in the past couple years here, it's become all college graduates with no experience and nobody to guide them which has brought morale down. hardest part of my job is waiting for track time because we can't work if they are running a lot of trains. best part of the job is working with the guys in my gang.
Pros
co-workers, pay
Cons
management, vacation time
Poorly Managed
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Great pay and benefits. Unions need to be stronger. Management is always on the prowl(literally hiding in bushes) to pull you out of service. Could be furloughed at anytime because it's a constant feast or famine struggle in transportation. Anyone that does work here, I would not recommend making any major purchases within the first 10 years of employment because RR unemployment does not pay well.
Great Company for the Hard Working
Roadmaster (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYJanuary 19, 2016
CSX is a great company for those who are willing to work hard. They do require a lot of time but it is worth it.

The time and energy that they require will be hard to get used to when an employee first starts but they will quickly adjust and enjoy the work.
The day starts at 0700 and ends around 1530 on a good day. It has been longer a lot but the pay is great and the benefits excellent.
Productive and Fair Work Environment
Document Scanning Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I am on a one year assignment working with CSX Transportation in the Imaging Services Department. I am working in an environment where we all work as a team. The management team allows their employees to give their input on any area that they feel will benefit the workflow. The most time consuming part of the job is the quality control process. We have to review scanned documents and correct any identifiable errors. The easiest part of the job is the scanning and prepping process. Overall the job is enjoyable because of the individuals that I work with.
Large scale locomotive shop
LOCOMOTIVE ELECTRICAN (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYNovember 30, 2015
Was a great job, cutting edge of technology, safety was first, good co-workers, and good benefits. Worked as a journeyman electrician for 15 1/2 on 3rd shift injury free my whole career. Troubleshooting broken down locomotives with schematic prints and multi-meter and electrical tools was my primary job. After repairs were made engine was taken outside and qualified and sent to the ready field for service.
Pros
All 8 hours were paid
Cons
Only had 1 10 minute break and a 20 minute lunch for your whole shift
Very corporate environment
Human Resource Specialist Transportation (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 14, 2016
The company is large and very corporate. The executives and senior management can be disconnected from their staff at times but it's because it's a very large company with thousands of employees. The Headquarters building downtown Jacksonville has their own cafeteria with good food so you don't have to walk several blocks for lunch. The company pushes for donations for United Way and cares about charity. You are expected to work 40+ hours per week or whatever it takes to get the job done. The company is already well established in their growth so it may take a while for advancement because someone has to retire or quit for a position to open up (depending on what department you work in or if you are willing to relocate). The company has a good pension.
love the work
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 15, 2016
great co and money. hard work but worth the effort. Lots of off hours. on call 24/7. great health benefits and ways to advance your career.
Fast paced environment, safety always a priority in every work location whether in office or outside locations. 24/7 business
Terminal Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 14, 2016
Overall good work environment, safety violations usually require employee terminations or at least suspensions. The key to working in this business is to understand fully the task requirements, follow the written rules associated with the tasks involved, perform the tasks to the best of your ability, adhering to costs, customer satisfaction and care of plant, equipment and fellow employees.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits, employees look out for one another, all duties are performed safely and to specifications
Cons
Weather
Very challenging and diverse work environment.
Class 1 Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day was to work as safely and follow rules and guidelines as per outlined in the manuals.
There was never a day after leaving work that i did not learn something.
Management was very proactive and were very helpful in every way possible.
The hardest part of working my job title was the challenges, and decisions i made on a daily basis.
The most satisfying part of my job was the employees i worked with and the challenges it brought me.
Decent job pay and benefits
conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 11, 2016
A good company to work for but there is no job security. Working on call is difficult when it comes to planning your life. Management is helpful at times.
Pros
Pay and benfits
Cons
Hard to plan anything, no schedule
Everyone is nice and help each other as needed
Carman (Former Employee) –  Willard, OHFebruary 26, 2016
Days seemed to go by fast, everyone was very nice and down to earth. Management was awesome, Hardest part of this job was just knowing all the specs and tolerances of each part. Most enjoyable part is having co-workers who appreciate you and even though they re higher on seniority they treated you the same as everyone else.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Being laid off
Productive, beneficial but time consuming
conductor/ rco (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 5, 2016
Csx is not for the faint of heart. A very dangerous hands on career that commands one hundred percent dedication. The management isn't bad, but can be very unreliable like any other job. I have learned how to be more efficient with my time as you operate on a schedule that is not solid at all. The hardest part of the job is just that, living your life at the mercy of a phone call to come in that you can never predict, 24 hours a day. They thing that makes it all worth l=while is the immaculate benefits, travel and opportunity to meet new people while having employment that is very essential to the entire world.

2.8