CSX

CSX Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent pay, horrible supervisors
Mechanical Manager Trainee (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 14, 2014
Pros: training, pay, & benefits
Cons: horrible supervisors
I was initially excited about starting a career with CSX. Their trainee program was excellent as well as the pay and benefits. Unfortunately there are supervisors that need to learn what leadership is and that threatening employees with their bonus is not an effective management technique. Due to the hostile work environment in the field I decided to – more... part ways with CSX and seek other opportunities. – less
You are just a number with this company 35yearys
Maintainer (Former Employee), JaxOctober 7, 2014
Pros: like my job
Cons: hated the management gps big brother watching 24/7
I gave them 35years 24/7 when I hurt my back they attacked me personally and made me look like a villain. Do Not Trust Management . They say they care about you and safety is first, But you better get the job DONE! I have had two back surgery and still can not function . My live is done!
was only in training
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Massena, NYOctober 6, 2014
Work on call, with 10 hour rest. I was almost done with OTJ training when 2 people moved from down state to work the position I was hired for, so I was released!
was only in training
Conductor Trainee (Former Employee), Massena, NYOctober 6, 2014
No home life
Freight Conductor (Former Employee), Parkersburg, WVSeptember 29, 2014
This is a company for someone who isn't married and doesn't have kids. Excellent pay and benefits but little to no home life. Always on call can turn your life upside down.
Worst Employer Doesn't Care about People
Intermodal Service Worker (Current Employee), Fairburn, GASeptember 29, 2014
I have never worked at a job where management blatantly mistreats its employees and the corporate headquarters turns a blind eye. There is a culture of employee retaliation and hostility. We work in scorching heat with no air conditioning, most of our equipment is inoperable, and there is a manager who continually brutalizes and intimidates employees – more... and is constantly promoted. It is a modern slave, sweat shop and I am surprised that this company has not been sued out of business. I hate to be so negative but one day I am afraid that there will be an instance of workplace violence because of the harsh and unfair work conditions. – less
Not a job for everyone, more of a lifestyle. 0 home life 100% at mercy of company
Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYSeptember 28, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else
This company makes high demands on its employees and their families. Time at home is limited. It is a all or nothing job. Pay does not quite cover the hostile treatment of employees and threats of suspensions or terminations for infractions.
Won't Hire Without a Degree
Contractor (Current Employee), FloridaSeptember 27, 2014
Pros: apparently a nice place to work if you can get in
Cons: no jobs for the common person
Forget about working for this company unless you have at least a bachelors degree. Even the the customer service/administrative jobs require high level degree. Too bad I never got my masters in customer service. It seems a 4 year degree and no experience trumps 20+ years experience. Some of the job titles sound made up as well.
Good Company
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Garrett, INSeptember 23, 2014
Pros: good schedule
Cons: administation
Good company overall. There are a few people in the company that can make it a bad work experience, but overall the structure of the company is solid and a good place to work.
Excellent company with quality benefits
Logistics Coordinator (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 23, 2014
Well run company with high standards. The work environment was pleasant.
Only the most fun job I ever held, and we actually got paid for it!
Special Projects Manager/Sales & Marketing Manager (Former Employee), Huntington, WV/Chicago, IL/ Baltimore MarylandSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: large salaries and bonuses for exceeding your sales goals; a collegial atmosphere, great benefits and healthcare.
Cons: long hours when you're doing a big deal, or putting together or analyzing the annual fiscal year's budge.
I am not kidding when I say that late on Friday afternoons, after a week of working hard, in the Coal Department, we all used to stand around and marvel at how we could actually get paid for something we loved to do so much. The typical day starts out at 0700 to be on the call with the Operating staff, because they're much closer to what's going on – more... on the ground than you are, and you'd better know if something's gone wrong, or if things are operating the way they should. You have to learn everything - not only how the railroad operates, the time tables, where it runs, your competition's prices (and most of the time, it's not another railroad), what the utility pays for both fuel and transportation, broken out for each element, and you have to learn how the utilities or industries in your district operate, what coal they use, how is it unloaded, and a vast amount of other facts. And it's endless, because you're always trying to get that next customer. CSX Management is fabulous! Their philosophy is to push decision-making down to the lowest logical level, where the most facts are known. The hardest part of the job, is just learning the above for the first time - after that, it's not bad. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you are truly a "family", so everyone helps out everyone else when they need it, and everyone knows the basics of everyone else's personal lives, so that when a tragedy happens, you mourn with your work family as well as your blood family. I would not have traded a minute of my time at CSX because I got to do so many fun things all the time. A wonderful place for a young person to start what is probably a lifetime career. – less
On call environment
Conductor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 9, 2014
Good pay but always on call and not much management support.
It's a productive, safety oriented atmosphere
Machine Operator, , Foreman, Track Laborer (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: worked outside, had good people whom had your best interest in mind
Cons: could be a very race bias atmosphere.
Your day starts with a safety briefing, then morning moment of silence for prayer, then you line up your work for that day and go to work.

I learned to work safely and have a safety oriented outlook.

Some management was enjoyable but, at the same time there were those who simply didn't know there job.

I enjoyed co-workers for the most part but, there – more... are always exceptions to the rule.

The feeling of accomplishment was the biggest enjoyable part for me, knowing I was apart of this work. – less
Terrible
conductor trainee (Former Employee), Arbutus, MDSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: you get a paycheck
Cons: many
A typical day with CSX is in one word terrible. The actual job itself isn't the problem, if you like being outside and doing semi- physical work its not bad. The problem is with management and coworkers. First we will start with everyone you come in contact with is paranoid that management is " watching you" and that you shouldn't trust anyone. Management – more... on the other hand bashes coworkers and places the blame on everyone else besides themselves. Lets talk about training. You will constantly keep asking for a schedule that you will get hours before you will be expected to be at work. Once you're at a yard and assigned to a crew thats it you will just keep hearing about things that have nothing to do with the actual work and more of "Management is watching you" and tired stories from the "glory days of railroading". you will be part of the union which is a complete joke and waste of your money because if you do something wrong while in training or before a 90 day period after training they will do nothing fort you. All in all wasn't the job for me or any reasonable thinking competent human being. – less
Laid back kind of job
Transportation PTI (Current Employee), Newport News, VASeptember 5, 2014
Pros: flexable schedules
Cons: low pay, no team work, lack of benefits
No supervision, very unorganized, very unprofessional. Co-workers are not team players. The hardest part of working with PTI is staying awake on third shift.
railroad ties
railroad ties (Former Employee), McKees Rocks, PAAugust 31, 2014
Pros: hrs
Cons: nothing
busy and loved the work. steady and enjoyed who i worked with
Amazing company, they take care of their people well
Carman (Current Employee), Newport News, VAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hard to get hired
CSX is 2nd to none in the area of taking care of their people. Would recommend the job to anyone.
Great benefits
Train Conductor (Former Employee), Greenwood, SCAugust 11, 2014
great place to work
great benefits
everyday is something different and enjoyable
Good job with good pay, away from home alot.
Conductor (Former Employee), Mobile, ALAugust 10, 2014
Pros: good pay, stable company
Cons: manual labor outdoors, working away from home alot
After running some tests we take a train from Mobile to New Orleans. Standard runs is you work on the lines. As for working in the yard, we build trains by operating the engines with remotes and communicating with switchmen on radios to rearrange tracks.
The hardest part of working on the line is being away from home half the week or more.
great pay/ bad schedule
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 5, 2014
freight conductor can be an enjoyable job. hardest parts of the day may include working outside and high stress situations. I have gained a vast knowledge of mechanical experience I did not have.

1 2 3 4 5

About CSX

CSX, based in Jacksonville, Fla., is a transportation company providing rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services. – Read more