CSX Employee Reviews

Productive, and rewarding
Freight Car inspector, repairman (Former Employee) –  Casky, KY16 January 2017
Csx is a very rewarding company to work for as a carman. There is routine but something different every day. Hard work, but you are rewarded for it. Great benefits, medical, retirement, holidays etc.
Pros
knowledgeable seniority, good training.
Cons
periodic furloughs
Very rewarding job
Conductor (Former Employee) –  New Castle, PA20 December 2016
This job is very rewarding. Each day you go in, you're assigned a route for the day, or days. Typically you stay in a hotel for the night of your trip, or at least in my experience as a conductor. They pay is very well for not having a college degree. Although you are not guaranteed holidays or weekends, that's told upon interview. You're on a 24/7 call schedule, with rotating guaranteed off days. I would say the hardest part of this job is that there is a possibility of missing important events with family and friends. The most enjoyable part this job is being able to travel, and support yourself and family very well financially. Overall, this is a great trade to get into.
High stress, no work-life balance and layoffs galore
Management Employee (HQ Office) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL15 December 2016
CSX is not what it used to be. The environment is tense and employees are on edge. More than 4,500 people have been furloughed or laid off over the last 18 months or so. Work-life balance is non-existent and you are expected to be available 24/7. There is no security at the company and I would strongly urge anyone interested in this company to think twice before joining. The pay is good, but definitely not worth all the stress and headache. The company is very military-style culturally and new ideas and ways of thinking are not tolerated. The mission statement says the company is "progressive" but it is far from that.

If you enjoy being micro-managed or don't have a family, friends or hobbies - then this is the company for you.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
Old-school mentality, no work-life balance
Railroad life
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MI20 November 2016
This is a great job for the individual who never wants a wife or a family. Once hired you will be expected to work on your rest the rest of your life, spending more time in motels than your own bed.
Pros
Wages and healthcare
Cons
Never home for very long.
Professional Transportation
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA15 November 2016
Delivery of freight based on customer satisfaction is usually fact based, however the hours are long and the schedule drastically changes without much of a warning. More time is spent at work than home by far.
Pros
Excellent benifits and retirment plan
Cons
No quality of life outside of work
Serious Work
Frieght Train Conductor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MD10 November 2016
Safety is the number one goal. To move products across the country take a lot of people that are dedicated to getting a job done in the safest manner.
Life Style
Railroad freight Conductor and Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hinton, WV8 November 2016
Quality of life is Questionable. Hire you to fire you. Spend more time in a hotel than at home. Great benefits, though. Labor contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. Pay averages out to about $12 per hour.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Its not just a job. It`s a life style
Hard work decent people & fair management
Jockey / Yard Driver (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OH3 November 2016
Coming in the door it could be a lot to learn and very hard work. This job is for people who are ok with working outside. It didn't take long for me to work my way up to a jockey driver considering i have my CDL and knew a little about the container business. Management is very fair to those that come to work and not to play around. The hardest part of the job is being the ground man & coming in the door that will be your first position. The most enjoyable part about the job is working from the jockey truck. You still have to work hard & be productive but talking to co workers over the radio makes time go by or if you're the quiet type you can just stay to your self
I loved my job...it was the best job on the railroad and the pay was exceptional
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tarrant, AL28 October 2016
My job title at CSX Transportation was Clerk. ..I had my own vehicle and I answered calls from the YardMasters to swap out crews or to go pick up crews off of train...that's what my job entailed 90% of the time and the other 10% was clerical work. I maintained the Crew Room Train printers...delivering orders to crews and running Rosters to fill jobs for next shift. I never knew if I was going to work 8 hrs or 16 hrs. ..If they told me to stay then I had to stay and that was one of the down sides to the job. My job terms were different than the Conductor's and Engineer's...they are under a totally different agreement and have to deal with so much more than the Clerk's. CSX bought out the clerk jobs so I was out of a job that I thought I would retire from...no one expected it or seen it coming and I feel like the company could have done things different! I'm a hard worker and a loyal employee...the experience just made me want to rise above and to be the best that I can be for the next career that I choose to embark on!
Pros
The pay was exceptional and the job itself was laid back and so unstressfull
Cons
Back to back 16hr shifts and never knowing if you were going to have a job
Opinion
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Lynchburg, VA26 October 2016
Overseeing the development of conductors and engineers on a daily basis and making sure customers are serviced in a safe and timely manner.

Typical day is making sure crews have all equipment needed to do their jobs safely and efficiently.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Exhilarating work with great benefits. Home time/family time greatly sacrificed however.
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TN19 October 2016
Great experience!!! Job requires total dedication to task at hand to ensure safe operations.... The most rough cut, detail oriented, innovative group of individuals you'd ever meet.
Fast pace
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MD11 October 2016
Fast pace have to follow rules and understand rule books learn hundreds miles rail road name of signals mileposts sidings be able to work under pressure stay away from family for days on end work full 12 hrs shifts in all weather work holidays
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hrs days in hotels
Interesting
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL7 October 2016
I always enjoyed working with the people at CSX. They made working for them very easy. I always got my assignments done and complete in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all of the other drivers. I could not drive until I heard from the other drivers. This made my Job a little complicated but for the most part the job itself was very rewarding and I dealt with very good and motivated people.
Pros
great people
Cons
short breaks
Very good company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC5 October 2016
Everyone cared about your job as well as their own.

Wanted you to succeed and the company as a whole.

Very good,clean work environment - up-to-date equipment.

Became close friends with many girls I worked with.

Many of the gentlemen treated women fairly and with courtesy.
Pros
Excellent gifts and benefits.
Cons
Too many women, lots of back-biting
Java Developer
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL5 October 2016
Worked as Java Developer , very good place to work on Java web technologies.

No pressure environment.

Good working environment.
Overalls good company to work for
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL30 September 2016
CSX is a good company. Great compensation and benefits but the environment is very challenging and demanding. It is a 24/7 environment even in HR so you can expect to work over 50 hours a week including weekends, nights, and during vacation. Checking email on your phone is a constant to keep up. You must have flexibility and plenty of free time. Also the majority of the employees are unionized. Senior leadership have good intentions but can be one sided often. As a result, its hard to reinforce policies consistently across all business units and employees know it. Its slow to progess upward unless you impress the right people early in your career. Otherwise you will find yourself trying to reinvent yourself to stay challenged.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Work life balance
nice workplace, friendly people
driver for PTI (Former Employee) –  Martin, KY26 September 2016
I would go to Erwin TN, and pick up a crew take them all the way back to Martin ky. I learnt a lot about trains, the crew members was always so friendly.
fun work place
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL25 September 2016
for work place to work and good company good pay and good traveling would love to work for the company again. I learn how to tmr. the management was good to work for. I had some good co-workers that I work with. the hardest part of the job was being away from home. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and the pay
Great Pay and Benefits Bad Management and NO LIFE
Crew Management Clerk-Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL21 September 2016
Extremely short staffed was forced to work 16 hour shifts and on average 64 hours a week and would only be notified of being forced within minutes of the next shift starting making it extremely difficult to have a family or to plan anything. We were not allowed to leave the job once the shift started so you would have to plan your meals for 16 hours with minimal sleep in between shifts as if you were on the extraboard you would be subject to call 2 hours prior to the shift. The upside great benefits and pay. Good job for a young person with no kids or family who only wants to work and make money.
Pros
pay, benefits, job is not too complicated
Cons
excessive hours, unreasonable management, no real way to move out the crew management department
Unappreciated employees
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OH14 September 2016
Company does not try and work with employees but instead tries to intimidate and bully. Very difficult life style with being on call 24/7/365. No room for error with this company, looks to terminate for any and all mistakes.

2.8