CSX

CSX Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
On call environment
Conductor (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 9, 2014
Good pay but always on call and not much management support.
It's a productive, safety oriented atmosphere
Machine Operator, , Foreman, Track Laborer (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: worked outside, had good people whom had your best interest in mind
Cons: could be a very race bias atmosphere.
Your day starts with a safety briefing, then morning moment of silence for prayer, then you line up your work for that day and go to work.

I learned to work safely and have a safety oriented outlook.

Some management was enjoyable but, at the same time there were those who simply didn't know there job.

I enjoyed co-workers for the most part but, there – more... are always exceptions to the rule.

The feeling of accomplishment was the biggest enjoyable part for me, knowing I was apart of this work. – less
Terrible
conductor trainee (Former Employee), Arbutus, MDSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: you get a paycheck
Cons: many
A typical day with CSX is in one word terrible. The actual job itself isn't the problem, if you like being outside and doing semi- physical work its not bad. The problem is with management and coworkers. First we will start with everyone you come in contact with is paranoid that management is " watching you" and that you shouldn't trust anyone. Management – more... on the other hand bashes coworkers and places the blame on everyone else besides themselves. Lets talk about training. You will constantly keep asking for a schedule that you will get hours before you will be expected to be at work. Once you're at a yard and assigned to a crew thats it you will just keep hearing about things that have nothing to do with the actual work and more of "Management is watching you" and tired stories from the "glory days of railroading". you will be part of the union which is a complete joke and waste of your money because if you do something wrong while in training or before a 90 day period after training they will do nothing fort you. All in all wasn't the job for me or any reasonable thinking competent human being. – less
Laid back kind of job
Transportation PTI (Current Employee), Newport News, VASeptember 5, 2014
Pros: flexable schedules
Cons: low pay, no team work, lack of benefits
No supervision, very unorganized, very unprofessional. Co-workers are not team players. The hardest part of working with PTI is staying awake on third shift.
railroad ties
railroad ties (Former Employee), McKees Rocks, PAAugust 31, 2014
Pros: hrs
Cons: nothing
busy and loved the work. steady and enjoyed who i worked with
Amazing company, they take care of their people well
Carman (Current Employee), Newport News, VAAugust 30, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: hard to get hired
CSX is 2nd to none in the area of taking care of their people. Would recommend the job to anyone.
Great benefits
Train Conductor (Former Employee), Greenwood, SCAugust 11, 2014
great place to work
great benefits
everyday is something different and enjoyable
Good job with good pay, away from home alot.
Conductor (Former Employee), Mobile, ALAugust 10, 2014
Pros: good pay, stable company
Cons: manual labor outdoors, working away from home alot
After running some tests we take a train from Mobile to New Orleans. Standard runs is you work on the lines. As for working in the yard, we build trains by operating the engines with remotes and communicating with switchmen on radios to rearrange tracks.
The hardest part of working on the line is being away from home half the week or more.
great pay/ bad schedule
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INAugust 5, 2014
freight conductor can be an enjoyable job. hardest parts of the day may include working outside and high stress situations. I have gained a vast knowledge of mechanical experience I did not have.
Excellent wages!
Clerk (Current Employee), Grafton, WVAugust 4, 2014
CSX is an excellent company regarding compensation. However, job security does not exist.
Bittersweet Career
Freight Conductor (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDAugust 1, 2014
Pros: health and retirement benefits
Cons: way too many to name; no holiday pay, on call 24 hours 6 days a week, harassment by management, the list goes on.
Although I appreciate and take pride in my railroad career and enjoy working outdoors while knowing that my efforts keep our economy moving, I also have to consider the work environment provided by local and regional management is deemed hostile. Ask any employee of this railroad and they will tell you, CSX "hires to fire". From local management hiding – more... in the bushes (literally) watching you as you work with sole intentions of trying to catch you making a safety infraction, to the Company's blatant disregard to honoring contracted union agreements, there's no wonder why many of its employees are literally there for the money, not the quality of life. – less
Married to the job
Roadmaster/Supervisor (Former Employee), Social Circle, GAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: family/home life
CSXT provides fantastic pay and benefits and opportunity for advancement. However, the work to family time ratio is very stressful on the home life. Safety is an issue with any railroad and must be top priority for the company and employee. CSX offered a great opportunity to learn a new field of engineering and management, for which I am grateful. I – more... met a lot of great people and built relationships with clients in management that I still maintain today. – less
Not a place for a family
Locomotive Engineer and Safety Representative (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJuly 15, 2014
Not where you want to work if you have a family. Long hours away from home, on call, and no consideration for things that come up out of the blue
drive all the brand new vehicles before anyone else does
Driver (Former Employee), jessup MDJuly 3, 2014
good place to work, the pay rate is great , great benefits, learn alot about vehicles
Very fun and up tempo.
Switch Crew Operator (Former Employee), Jacksonville floridaJune 30, 2014
this was a very hard working job. I prepared for each day as if it was my if it was my first day at work.
my job duties
Railroad Conductor (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJune 22, 2014
• Supervise the switching, loading/uploading, breaking or making up of trains.

• Travel with the train its assigned route. Inspect all equipment on cars prior to departures. Receive and review instructions from instructions from dispatchers, Yardmasters, and station agents and ensure all train orders, signals and railroad rules and regulations are – more... complied with.

• Prepare required reports, including train bulletins, switch industry work order, etc. Utilize onboard computer systems to process payroll and other information.

• Assist and instruct crews to couple and uncouple cars, operate switches, and make minor repair to car railcars. Including replacing heavy couplings or air brake hoses. – less
Fun, never boring, outdoor job
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJune 12, 2014
Loved not being behind a desk all day. Drove a freight train from Mobile, AL to New Orleans, LA. Team-effort job. Bosses kept in constant communication to make sure we had everything we needed.
Alot of good people work here
electrician (Former Employee), Allston, MAJune 10, 2014
Pros: allowed to take company truck home
Cons: job safety
At times could be too much work put on one person.But overall a good place to work with good benefits.
Fun and Safe place to work
Engineering Assistant (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLJune 9, 2014
Busy, busy full of safety, dealings with State projects, providing estimates, processing invoice. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing that safety measures were met.
Hard job,very demanding
Railroad Conductor (Current Employee), Etowah, TNJune 5, 2014
Pros: great benefits and great money
Cons: no schedule
Work all hours of the day and night.They are tough.I learned patience,wisdom and people are not always what they seem.Management is hardcore.Some co-workers are great but most are terrible human beings.Hard to get use to no schedule is the hardest part of the job.Most enjoyable part was quitting time.

1 2 3 4 5

About CSX

CSX, based in Jacksonville, Fla., is a transportation company providing rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services. – Read more