CSX Employee Reviews

good pay and benefits
conductor / locomotive engineer (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJune 6, 2016
Working for CSX was a job that I liked. However it is a job that when working for this company you do not see a lot of time at home. You will miss a lot of holidays with family, school events for your kids and things like that. Otherwise the job was great. The pay was good and the company overall was pretty good to work for. If you are a family man I would suggest a different job if it bothers you being away from family.It is more suited for a single person with no ties.
Pros
good pay and benefits.
Cons
never home
Good Pay and Benefits with bad work/life balance
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYMay 10, 2016
A typical day for me is taking a train from Louisville to Cincinnati, resting at a hotel, then bringing a train back. I learned that enjoy being a locomotive engineer. Local management seems to be fair and typically care about their employees, upper management not so much. My co-workers are a great bunch that I enjoy to be around. The hardest part of the and really the only thing I don't like about it is the lack of schedule and lack of sleep. Always being on call and never knowing when you're going to work, day or night, any hour. The most enjoyable part of the job is the travel, operating locomotives, and the comeradere you develop with co workers.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
bad work/life balance with the lack of a schedule
No day was ever the same and there was always something new to learn
Service Desk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 20, 2016
While working at the data center at CSX I learned numerous helpful thing which enriched my knowledge of technology. I learned how to troubleshoot and deploy hardware and software while maintaining good customer relations. The environment was enjoyable and I even got to practice using my network skills aiding users and entire sites that were down
Pros
learning, challenges, training
Cons
structure changes
good place to work
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 7, 2016
was on call 24/7 i enjoyed getting called for work and once getting there i would get all the necessary paper work that was needed to perform the task that I was ask to perform.once this was done I would then prepare to go to the Train and assume responsibility of my train.Me and my crew would then try and perform our duties as safe and proficient as we could
Pros
bonuses
Cons
dont remember any.
good pay and benefits
Locomotive Engineer (Current Employee) –  Walbridge, OHJune 18, 2016
A lot of rules and responsibility. Safety is the most important thing. Management always puts pressure on when things aren't going as planned but otherwise helpful. Most co-workers are great to work with.Hardest part is being on call working alot of different jobs until you have been there a few years until you can hold a regular position, being on call 24/7/365. Pay and benefits.
Overall good company
Payroll Analyst (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 20, 2016
This is a good company to work for, however as with many companies promotion is more often based on a network of friends and not actual qualifications. Benefits are good, and pay is as well however the culture of the workplace can vary depending on the people, and particularly the management that you work among. Overall I would recommend this company to anyone offered a job, but be prepared for people with agendas and to play the politics game with coworkers and managers alike.
Pros
Pay, tuition reimbursement
Cons
Who you know and are friends with, not what you know when being promoted
Good place to work, Need to be closer to home
Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 23, 2016
I work at CSX for the maintenance of way (MOW) we repair and build track and maintain our 57 miles of track. Typical day would consist of job briefings and work detail, which could include installing rail, track ties, surfacing, gauging, excavating, installing switch points and frogs. I have learned how to manage people better and to get jobs done in a timely safe manner. Management has changed a lot in the past couple years here, it's become all college graduates with no experience and nobody to guide them which has brought morale down. hardest part of my job is waiting for track time because we can't work if they are running a lot of trains. best part of the job is working with the guys in my gang.
Pros
co-workers, pay
Cons
management, vacation time
Learning experience
Intermodal Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Bedford Park, ILMay 18, 2016
Responsible for Troubleshooting brakes, brake beams, control rods, brake shoes and making sure piston travels are correct so that the cars on the train carrying supplies can leave out of the terminal 100% inspected and completed by making the proper adjustments to ensure our customer products are being properly cared for.
Manager of Car and Locomotive Shop
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 14, 2016
Review previous shift turnover. Delegate repair work to union employees. Safety job briefing at the beginning of the shift. Maintain yard checks throughout the shift and analyze work throughout rail yard. Correct deficiencies on various yard projects throughout the shift
Pros
Great Benefits andSafe Environment
Cons
Company cut backs and sparatic furloughs
CSX Transportaion
Manager safety and operating practices (Current Employee) –  OhioMarch 10, 2016
CSX is a great company to work for and provides excellent benefits. Most jobs are a non-typical schedule meaning you don't see a lot of weekends or holidays off. I am very thankful to have the opportunity to work with CSX. They have given me a tremendous amount of training in several areas. In a management position, you are often required to work with very little supervision. You must be able to account for your time as required.
Pros
Salary, Insurance, Retirement
Cons
Job security
Goor cowokes that cared about easck=h other
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Clifton Forge, VAMarch 17, 2016
Poor work schedule would only get a two hour phone call to report to work 24 hrs a day 7 days a week
Some management were more against you than to help you
Typical work day was up to 12 hrs a day
Good pay and benefits
Good coworkers that took care of each other
Pros
Good Pay, amount of vacation days, coworkers took care of each othe
Cons
lack of work schedule, Lack of instrucion from management
Productive and Fair Work Environment
Document Scanning Clerk (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 7, 2016
I am on a one year assignment working with CSX Transportation in the Imaging Services Department. I am working in an environment where we all work as a team. The management team allows their employees to give their input on any area that they feel will benefit the workflow. The most time consuming part of the job is the quality control process. We have to review scanned documents and correct any identifiable errors. The easiest part of the job is the scanning and prepping process. Overall the job is enjoyable because of the individuals that I work with.
challenging, self gradification and rewarding
Train Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 14, 2016
Very exciting career choice. I was fortunate to have worked in a high
energy high stressful environment and succeed until retirement. I
worked for CSX 39 1/2 years and it has afforded me and my wife of
42 years a good life.
Pros
income, professional envirement, helping move Americas freight
Cons
working nights, weekends and holidays
• Over 8 years of IT experience in the areas of Object Oriented Analysis, Design, Development, Testing, Deployment.Expertise in Server side developmen
Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 2, 2016
Proficient in developing advanced web-based applications design and development using Java, J2EE, Servlets, JSP, JSTL,Full stack,Struts, Spring, Hibernate, ANT, Eclipse, XML, XSLT, JDBC, WSAD and Databases.
Great benefits if you can keep a position.
Field Support Lead Clerk (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 23, 2016
Csx is currently combining jobs in all crafts streamlining operations. A lot of good people are finding themselves with a choice of moving or having no job. That's a tough pill to swallow when the company newsletter is constantly bragging about the profits they're making.
Pros
Good benefits and compensation
Cons
No job security and low morale.
Very challenging and diverse work environment.
Class 1 Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day was to work as safely and follow rules and guidelines as per outlined in the manuals.
There was never a day after leaving work that i did not learn something.
Management was very proactive and were very helpful in every way possible.
The hardest part of working my job title was the challenges, and decisions i made on a daily basis.
The most satisfying part of my job was the employees i worked with and the challenges it brought me.
Work environment forces you to produce results at a high level.
Mechanical Manager (Current Employee) –  CleFebruary 23, 2016
CSX has provided me with wide variety of work experience as a manager. Being on call 24/7 and having to work multiple shifts has taught me how to prioritize and make good decisions in a small time frame. I have traveled and been exposed to several locations which has allowed me to learn from different operations while pciking up the better qualities of each operation.
Pros
Constantly learning new things, problem solving skills constantly developing, and use of wide network.
Cons
24 hour on call, move based on company need, and job stability.
Be prepared for any shift
Plant Manager (Current Employee) –  Albany County, NYApril 15, 2016
Working for the railroad is very challenging. There is no consideration paid to work life balance and you need to be prepared to work long hours with inconsistent days off. The pay and retirement is great but those with a family or active personal life will struggle to be happy.
Pros
Pay, retirement
Cons
No work/life balance
Everyone is nice and help each other as needed
Carman (Former Employee) –  Willard, OHFebruary 26, 2016
Days seemed to go by fast, everyone was very nice and down to earth. Management was awesome, Hardest part of this job was just knowing all the specs and tolerances of each part. Most enjoyable part is having co-workers who appreciate you and even though they re higher on seniority they treated you the same as everyone else.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Being laid off
Fun and challenging place with great rewards
Freight Train Conductor (Current Employee) –  Wyoming, MIMarch 18, 2016
The hardest part about the job is being on call 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. The co-workers are always willing to help. The management is always there to listen to any issues. The job can be mentally and physically demanding. A shift can be anywhere from 6 hrs to 16 hrs long depending on the job.