CSX

CSX Employee Reviews

Railroad culture
Engineering Training Instructor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 6, 2016
The culture at CSX is a tight group of dedicated professionals. the pay and benefits are good and employees hire on and stay for a career. each employee seems to take ownership of the company.
Great job
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 3, 2016
CSX is an amazing company to work for and are head strong towards ultimate safety as the number one priority. They provide adequate training.
Railroad work can be exciting
(FMLA) Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 3, 2016
I truly enjoyed my career working at CSX. It was the best job I've ever had. I enjoyed working with a diverse group. I enjoyed all the challenges it brought me.
Career job with advancement oppurtunties, great benifits and retirement.
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GAFebruary 1, 2016
A CSX conductor has a lot of responsibilities, first part of a typical day is to have a safety/Job briefing we I identify what safety precautions we are going to implement for the days work, we then discuss our dispatcher messages which informs us work limits, speed restrictions and potential cautions that could affect our attended route. We then go over our work order that tells what our train is made up of, we have to analyze our work order to make sure there aren't any type of speed, height, weight or hazarders restrictions that make up our train. If we are a "Key" train meaning a train with a combination of 20 or more hazards material by class and code, that we have the appropriate paper work on them along with an a emergency phone number. once we complete our job briefing we either have to get permission to either built or get on our train and go by either or our train master or dispatcher or yardmaster. Your day can vary either you are working in a yard (building trains), working Industries(delivering specific cars to Customers) or working on the road(Taking a train to a different station, yard or terminal). The day may vary day by day but the same beginning process Safety/Job briefing and the end of the day reporting the work being done to a Train Master or Railroad Dispatcher still remains Safety is our biggest concern at CSX all day every day!
Pros
Great Pay, benfits and Retirement.
Cons
Layoffs.
CSX Sucks
Locomotive Engineer (Former Employee) –  Erwin, TNJanuary 28, 2016
DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR CSX!!!
It is a sinking ship!!!
Culture sucks!!!
You might as well have CSX as your spouse!!!
Management are all stupid!!!
Poorly Managed
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 26, 2016
Great pay and benefits. Unions need to be stronger. Management is always on the prowl(literally hiding in bushes) to pull you out of service. Could be furloughed at anytime because it's a constant feast or famine struggle in transportation. Anyone that does work here, I would not recommend making any major purchases within the first 10 years of employment because RR unemployment does not pay well.
Priceless
Conductor/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INJanuary 24, 2016
I loved working in the construction industry. I worked as a laborer/carpenter and an equipment operator. we roofed and framed mostly and we had a great crew.
The people are great
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 22, 2016
On any given day there are new challenges from working long hours to dealing with the elements. There are not many jobs that allow you to make a good leaving and be with good friends. We are more like family than coworkers. The work is hard but the team work makes it rewarding.
Pros
the pay is great
Cons
work gets cut off some times
good place to work
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Parkersburg, WVJanuary 22, 2016
salary is very good,only downfall was not knowing when you were going to work,on call 24hrs a day. good people to work with.
Csx corp
Lead Tiedown (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2016
As long as "SAFETY" and "RULES" guidelines are/were followed, the job was/is pretty easy. Learned how to be a better leader, I was trained to job brief and train new hires. Making goals when in extreme cold, heavy snow conditions or thunder storms. Working with a lot of great people and crew members.
Pros
Great Overtime Potential
Cons
Paid into two retirement tier, one for self and one for spouse. Even if you dont have a spouse.
Lay offs
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Willard, OHJanuary 20, 2016
Fun job if you don't mind being away from home. Constant lay offs with economy fluctuations. Great pay and benefits with private retirement.
Great Company for the Hard Working
Roadmaster (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYJanuary 19, 2016
CSX is a great company for those who are willing to work hard. They do require a lot of time but it is worth it.

The time and energy that they require will be hard to get used to when an employee first starts but they will quickly adjust and enjoy the work.
The day starts at 0700 and ends around 1530 on a good day. It has been longer a lot but the pay is great and the benefits excellent.
If you can keep it....
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Avon, INJanuary 19, 2016
The job is good and the pay is great. One problem is that your home life is pretty much gone. I knew this going into it, so I knew what to expect. I'm just giving a heads up to people that are very family oriented. This job isn't for you. The biggest problem is job security. You never know when you may be furloughed or when you may get called back. They hire a ridiculous number of people and then end up laying them all off. I have a year and a half and can't hold a job now. I've been furloughed 3 times. Now is not the time to join the railroad. Aside from that it's an awesome job. If I were able to hold a position and feel comfortable in it, I would definitely recommend it as a place to work. Again, it's just not something to look into due to the current economic conditions.
Pros
Pay, benefits, work involved
Cons
Job security, away from home
Great place to work.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 15, 2016
CSX is a wonderful company to work for and the pay and benefits are hard to match anywhere else. The only downside to working for CSX is that if you don't have any seniority, it is likely that you will not be working long before you are furloughed.
Decent job pay and benefits
conductor (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 11, 2016
A good company to work for but there is no job security. Working on call is difficult when it comes to planning your life. Management is helpful at times.
Pros
Pay and benfits
Cons
Hard to plan anything, no schedule
Challenging career with great long term rewards
Foreman/ Conductor (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 7, 2016
CSX is a class 1 freight railroad company that challenges their employees to give 100% everyday. The company is extremely adamant about safety. Their rule book is 400 pages front and back and you are required to acknowledge and follow every one of them every day. You must be able to multitask in harsh environments and problem solve with little to no help. You have no schedule as you work on call and will sometimes spend extensive hours in a hotel. coping with stressful situations is a must. Personally I enjoy the challenges every time I go to work as the job is anything but boring or mundane.
Pros
Competitive wages, vacation, decent salary, top notch retirement
Cons
Furloughs, poor management relations, on call schedule, outdoors
Stable company.
Intermodal Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLJanuary 5, 2016
Solid company. Slow movement due to union structure. Seniority matters more than education in the union ranks. Company is fairly solid and is experiencing growth in a lot of areas.
Pros
Cheap benefits, great retirement, decent wage
Cons
Union.
GREAT PLACE TO ADVANCE
SUPPORT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Martin, KYDecember 29, 2015
GREAT PLACE TO WORK AND WOULD LIKED TO HAVE ADVANCED FURTHER. A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK STARTED AT 8:00 AND FINISHED AT 4:00. WORKED WITH A LOT OF GREAT PEOPLE.
Pros
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Cons
GOOD RETIREMENT, HEALTHCARE
Fun worksapce
Developer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLDecember 15, 2015
I had a good chance to learn the subject in this company. This was my first project in US. I mostly worked back-end Java. I worked on Hibernate, JPA, SOAP and RESTful Webservices.
Great
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Hialeah, FLDecember 9, 2015
Great Job, i love the professional environment. Every employee make sacrificing contributions toward customer satisfaction