CSX Employee Reviews

Hard work decent people & fair management
Jockey / Yard Driver (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OH3 November 2016
Coming in the door it could be a lot to learn and very hard work. This job is for people who are ok with working outside. It didn't take long for me to work my way up to a jockey driver considering i have my CDL and knew a little about the container business. Management is very fair to those that come to work and not to play around. The hardest part of the job is being the ground man & coming in the door that will be your first position. The most enjoyable part about the job is working from the jockey truck. You still have to work hard & be productive but talking to co workers over the radio makes time go by or if you're the quiet type you can just stay to your self
Interesting
DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL7 October 2016
I always enjoyed working with the people at CSX. They made working for them very easy. I always got my assignments done and complete in a timely manner. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with all of the other drivers. I could not drive until I heard from the other drivers. This made my Job a little complicated but for the most part the job itself was very rewarding and I dealt with very good and motivated people.
Pros
great people
Cons
short breaks
Overalls good company to work for
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL30 September 2016
CSX is a good company. Great compensation and benefits but the environment is very challenging and demanding. It is a 24/7 environment even in HR so you can expect to work over 50 hours a week including weekends, nights, and during vacation. Checking email on your phone is a constant to keep up. You must have flexibility and plenty of free time. Also the majority of the employees are unionized. Senior leadership have good intentions but can be one sided often. As a result, its hard to reinforce policies consistently across all business units and employees know it. Its slow to progess upward unless you impress the right people early in your career. Otherwise you will find yourself trying to reinvent yourself to stay challenged.
Pros
Compensation and benefits
Cons
Work life balance
Overall a good company.
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Avon, IN3 September 2016
CSX is overall a good company to work for when you work. Layoffs are expected and it's often hard to stay on any certain job. I've never had a problem with management. My favorite part of the job is getting to work outside and feeling like a part of something bigger. Working on call and never knowing for sure when you will go to work makes planning anything hard and is my least favorite part of the job. In the end I would say employees are justly compensated for all the inconvenience.
Great Pay and Benefits Bad Management and NO LIFE
Crew Management Clerk-Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL21 September 2016
Extremely short staffed was forced to work 16 hour shifts and on average 64 hours a week and would only be notified of being forced within minutes of the next shift starting making it extremely difficult to have a family or to plan anything. We were not allowed to leave the job once the shift started so you would have to plan your meals for 16 hours with minimal sleep in between shifts as if you were on the extraboard you would be subject to call 2 hours prior to the shift. The upside great benefits and pay. Good job for a young person with no kids or family who only wants to work and make money.
Pros
pay, benefits, job is not too complicated
Cons
excessive hours, unreasonable management, no real way to move out the crew management department
Pay, benefits & Pension only positive
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Former Employee) –  Selkirk, NY26 August 2016
CSX is a railroad that is continuously trying to streamline their operation. Their approach these days is do more with less. Jobs are constantly being cut throughout their entire system. CSX fully holds contractual employees accountable for everything and it is a constant management vs contractual employees. The work life balance is non-existent. CSX is not a good fit for someone that is not willing to have inconsistent days off and a home life.
Tough political corporate culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL24 August 2016
Between an insane amount of "special projects" in addition to your regular duties and its aggressive office politics, it is a difficult place to work. If you can navigate political landmines and manage to get on the good side of someone important, there is opportunity to be successful. If you like to genuinely work hard and be rewarded for the work you do, this is not the right place for you.
Pros
pay, benefits
Cons
low trust, unsafe to express varying opinions, ineffective HR
Very good company to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NC5 October 2016
Everyone cared about your job as well as their own.

Wanted you to succeed and the company as a whole.

Very good,clean work environment - up-to-date equipment.

Became close friends with many girls I worked with.

Many of the gentlemen treated women fairly and with courtesy.
Pros
Excellent gifts and benefits.
Cons
Too many women, lots of back-biting
Co-Workers like family. Pay and benefits good. Diversity and inclusion poor. Union vs. Management conflicts strong.
Management (Former Employee) –  Headquarters and Field6 September 2016
CSX is an overall good place to work. The change in leadership has negatively impacted the culture and employee satisfaction. Significant layoffs, do more with less management, no real concern for safety and diversity as there had been in years past. Good old boy politics at an all time high.
Fast paced environment, safety always a priority in every work location whether in office or outside locations. 24/7 business
Terminal Operations (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA14 August 2016
Overall good work environment, safety violations usually require employee terminations or at least suspensions. The key to working in this business is to understand fully the task requirements, follow the written rules associated with the tasks involved, perform the tasks to the best of your ability, adhering to costs, customer satisfaction and care of plant, equipment and fellow employees.
Pros
Excellent compensation and benefits, employees look out for one another, all duties are performed safely and to specifications
Cons
Weather
Great company
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL3 September 2016
CSX Transportation is a great company in which to be employed. The benefits and compensation are very good.

Most employees are very safety oriented especially in an operations setting in the field. Some know the rule book by heart and can recall any rule and recite it without prompting.

Training is probably the best part of CSX from an advancement standpoint. While I was there I was trained on aspects of the business that I never dreamed I would ever know. The general feeling is the more you know the better an employee you will be.

I've held several positions there both contract and non-contract and there was hardly a day that could be considered typical. You literally learn something new everyday.
Pros
Great benefits, compensation and development opportunities
Cons
Management can be a bit narrow minded
Very corporate environment
Human Resource Specialist Transportation (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL14 August 2016
The company is large and very corporate. The executives and senior management can be disconnected from their staff at times but it's because it's a very large company with thousands of employees. The Headquarters building downtown Jacksonville has their own cafeteria with good food so you don't have to walk several blocks for lunch. The company pushes for donations for United Way and cares about charity. You are expected to work 40+ hours per week or whatever it takes to get the job done. The company is already well established in their growth so it may take a while for advancement because someone has to retire or quit for a position to open up (depending on what department you work in or if you are willing to relocate). The company has a good pension.
fun work place
Freight Conductor (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL25 September 2016
for work place to work and good company good pay and good traveling would love to work for the company again. I learn how to tmr. the management was good to work for. I had some good co-workers that I work with. the hardest part of the job was being away from home. the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and the pay
Hostile and miserable place to be employed
Crew Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL22 July 2016
It's a company that takes and takes and takes and gives nothing back, it's the type of place that will reward you for one week for something done and then punish you the next for the exact same thing. There is people in charge who have absolutely no knowledge of what's being done, and therefore there is no accountability held towards things done inaccurately, and they cut cut cut and expect more and more out of people while trying their best to tear you down and replace your job.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Hours, lack of life, no reward, hostile
Fun workplace, not so fun management
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Martin, Shelby, Paintsville, and Russell, Ky16 July 2016
I'll admit, I loved the job. Most of the men I worked with were like brothers. That helped a lot since there's not much time for family life. Be prepared to miss a lot of holidays and birthdays while working. There is NO job security. If it gets slow, you get laid off. The union is a joke. It belongs to the company.
Pros
Pay and benefits, employee brotherhood
Cons
Being away from family, frequent lay offs, union dues are the same as flushing money down the toilet
Professional Transportation
Trainmaster (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA15 November 2016
Delivery of freight based on customer satisfaction is usually fact based, however the hours are long and the schedule drastically changes without much of a warning. More time is spent at work than home by far.
Pros
Excellent benifits and retirment plan
Cons
No quality of life outside of work
Productive, beneficial but time consuming
conductor/ rco (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA5 July 2016
Csx is not for the faint of heart. A very dangerous hands on career that commands one hundred percent dedication. The management isn't bad, but can be very unreliable like any other job. I have learned how to be more efficient with my time as you operate on a schedule that is not solid at all. The hardest part of the job is just that, living your life at the mercy of a phone call to come in that you can never predict, 24 hours a day. They thing that makes it all worth l=while is the immaculate benefits, travel and opportunity to meet new people while having employment that is very essential to the entire world.
Life Style
Railroad freight Conductor and Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hinton, WV8 November 2016
Quality of life is Questionable. Hire you to fire you. Spend more time in a hotel than at home. Great benefits, though. Labor contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. Pay averages out to about $12 per hour.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Its not just a job. It`s a life style
Solid Company with Many job opportunities
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MI5 August 2016
Working for CSX allowed me to learn all aspects of the Sales and Transportation business. Allotted many opportunities to expand my career from Intermodal, Auto Operations to Sales in the commodity of Metal. The company is competitive and open to building employees up to their fullest capabilities.
Furlough
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Cumberland, MD1 July 2016
This is a good company to work for and in the city they are in provides a great living. The problem came with the furlough process, as soon as I completed training and was a full fledged conductor I was furloughed for nine months and unfortunately bills had to be paid and the kids wanted to eat so I looked for and found other employment before being called back-at 2AM.
Pros
Great job. Loved riding in the trains.
Cons
Furlough process

2.8