CSX Employee Reviews

Hands on craft
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FL21 May 2017
My employment with CSX has always been an on call basis type of career. I have learned that safety is a way of life and that no job is so important, no task is so urgent , that you can not take the time to perform your job safely.
Pros
Benefits and pay
Cons
management and seniority base
Right Results Right Way
System Administrator (Positive Train Control (PTC) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL18 May 2017
People are an asset. Upper management hires the right people to represent . Attitude among employees are great. Lot of smart people to work around and be mentored.
Pros
Lots :)
Cons
Be more Inventive less conservative :)
Used to be a great place to work
IT Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL15 May 2017
While it's understandable that the new leadership wants to show results to their shareholders the cost to over 1000 jobs and the major shift in culture away from a reasonable work life balance has made CSX a very unstable employer.
Pros
Paid for MBA and PMP
Cons
Unstable work atmosphere, poor work/life balance
Great Benefits and job security
Intermodal Service Employee, Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KY4 May 2017
This job made me want to continue with my education and advance my career. I enjoyed my time here but felt that I reached the ceiling for my time with the company
benefits
Cons
limited possibilities
Very micro managed
Mechanic Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL4 May 2017
Good place to work for just the moral is always dead. Can't really move nowhere because of why should I work any harder than the deadbeat beside me attitude. We all make same money attitude. Just follow the rules and do your work with quality and you will be fine.
Pros
Home life, safety, and great benefits
Cons
Low moral
Bad Management but good pay
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OH2 May 2017
Management his hired right out of college and does not understand railroad operations. They give you good benefits and good pay so you will put up with all the bullcrap. No career advancement for craft level employees.
tough place to work now.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Field Location2 May 2017
Field Location- little if any interaction with superior. Long days, 24x7 including holidays and weekends. Culture has changed with new CEO. 1000 managers cut in March. Another 1000 coming next year, Most are unaware if they will have a job in the near future.
Pros
salary
Cons
hours, future
Busy workplace.
Locomotive Engineer/Conductor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD1 May 2017
Working at CSX can be a very difficult challenge. The management team is constantly trying to justify their job with the upper management, as opposed to trying to be effective managers. The pay is what I would call "so-so", in my opinion. They could pay us better for what we do.
Pros
Steady work, somewhat decent benefit package.
Cons
Poor management, no work schedule for younger employees.
Great company to grow as a professional if you can handle the railroad schedule
Employee (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LA1 May 2017
pros: Company has a wide variety of jobs that enable you to succeed in various situations. Good pay, benefits

cons: Hours are not family friendly, Unionized work. rewarded for start date and not production.
aweful!
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA29 April 2017
This place is terrible! The pay and benefits are nice but they will hide in the weeds or wherever to try to fire you from the day you start until the day you leave.
Former Employee
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL28 April 2017
Enjoyed working there until the hostile takeover and was shown the door. I am sure the new regime will get the shareholders what they want, but for the rest of the people left...good luck.
Strong Company
Manager of Locomotive Distribution (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL28 April 2017
CSX is a strong company, however, recent leadership is focused on cutting cost. Leadership generally doesn't value the work that you complete, and the work/ life balance is non existent.
Family to Work Ratio
Training Instructor II (REDI) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA27 April 2017
Not an family oriented base company. Requires to be available most weekends and under staff that will allow for reasonable time off to attend family functions without using vacation time for every occurrence.
Pros
graet benefits and pay
Cons
Uncertaintly on work schedule
Hard work, terrible schedule.....great pay and benefits.
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Marysville, OH27 April 2017
Always on call. Work weekends and holidays on all shifts. Adverse weather conditions. Must have the ability to memorize several rail yards with acres of multiple tracks.
Great pay and benefits! CSX has workers with GEDs making over $100k per year. Over the last 10 years, industry on average, has lowered health benifits by 12%.....CSX has increased health benefits by 14% over the same time period.
Pros
Hard work, terrible schedule
Cons
great pay and benefits
Managed a multi-million dollar railroad yard
Manager (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NY27 April 2017
Typical day is extremely stressful and busy. I learned that you have to be extremely organized to be productive. Management allows you to work together to solve problems. Workplace culture can be stressful because of the nature of the jobs and type of work performed. The hardest part of the job is the stress associated with downsizing and closing other locations. The most enjoyable part of my job is the people.
Pros
Salary, Benefits
Cons
Downsizing
Great benefits
Manager Unit Train Operation (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL27 April 2017
Was a great company to work for, but with the new CEO, it will not be. They offer exelent benefits. It requires long hours, with minimum days off. Not alot of appriecation from managment.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Long hours, Poor Managemnet with all the changes
Job pays well be prepared to travel
Technical Special Agent (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL25 April 2017
Great job and atmosphere, but like all corporation you have to worry about job cuts which CSX is notorious for. Things are constantly changing with the railroad if you do get hired make sure you keep your resume updated.
Pros
pay
Cons
job cuts
Overall good experience
Intern (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL25 April 2017
Overall good experience. Had a supportive and knowledgeable manager. A lot of restructuring and job cuts in March 2017 create a stressful work environment.
Fun place to work and truly professional people
Manager Car Design (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL25 April 2017
Working in an ever changing environment that is challenging and rewarding. Designing new railcars or modifying existing railcars is a unique experience.
Pros
Great gym in the building, good cafeteria, great benefits and pay.
Cons
Good old boy network, job hiring not very ethical.
Railroaded
Freight Conductor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TN23 April 2017
Not a bad job if you don't mind the layoffs. I worked for CSX for three years and was laid off 90% of the time. Great job if you have the seniority to hold a job. Poorly managed company all the way around. No communication.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CSX. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9