Crown Cork and Seal

Crown Cork and Seal Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Crown Cork and Seal
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 3, 2014
Pros: salary was favorable, staff was amiable
Cons: company went out of business
The atmosphere was positive and my promotion to shop steward was rewarding. The staff got along well and management was fair which led to good productivity and opportunity for overtime.
The hardest part of the job was occasional weekly hours.
A typical day at a work included most hours on forklift.
Getting to know my peers was the most enjoyable part – more... of work.
I became skilled on the forklift and learned to use larger forklifts at crown Cork and Seal. – less
A excellent place to work
Human Resource Assistant (Former Employee), Alsip, ILOctober 14, 2014
Pros: love people
Cons: i do not like to be idle, i have to keep busy.
I love the challenges and stepping up to everyday issues and figuring out how to solve them, and always looking ahead. I love to have additional responsibilities.
Great place
Production Line Maintainer (Current Employee), La Crosse, WIJuly 1, 2014
Great place to work, fantastic wages. Just not for me. Long hours, very hot conditions.
Small Warehouse
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Spartanburg, SCJune 17, 2014
Pros: running different machines
Cons: continued to run out of work so had to clean when there was nothing to do
Learned how to run several different machines. It wasn't a lot of workers so I was able to run my machine with not a lot of noise and management was ok never had a problem with anybody.
Great for thirteen years until new Plant Manager came.
Driver (Former Employee), Aurora, ILMay 4, 2014
I worked at Crown Cork and Seal's Aurora, IL plant (#058) for fourteen (14) years and felt that it was the best job that I never had in my forty-five years of working for many different firms. The pay and benefits were decent for my semi-skilled job as a Forklift Driver. The people were decent also, better than at some of the places I have worked. The – more... Plant Management treated us fairly, for the most part. In return, I came to work every day for (14) years and worked as hard as I could for Crown Cork and Seal, Inc.

Then, in 2013, everything radically changed at the Aurora Plant #058. Corporate Headquarters in Philadelphia trucked in a new Plant Manager and he turned everything upside down in a desperate effort to cut costs and increase Crown Cork and Seal's profits. In just eight (8) months, he laid off almost 20% of the workforce. The last lay-off was ordered just two weeks before Christmas.

The problem was that my former employer's old, long term customers were threatening to drop them and purchase their products from overseas supplies at a much lower price. The Plant Manager at Crown Cork and Seal's Aurora, IL facility wanted to have sixty-four (64) workers do the same work that ninety (90) workers previously had done. He also expected them to do all that work with the same attention to Quality and Safety . . . . IMPOSSIBLE.

Late in 2013, the Management did some really stupid things. They put signs on all of the bathroom MIRRORS that said . . . "Meet the new person responsible for your SAFETY." Apparently, providing the employees with a safe workplace was too costly and the Management did not want to take responsibility for that any more.

Further evidence that Crown Cork and Seal may have ABANDONED THEIR COMMITTMENT TO SAFETY is apparent in they way that I myself was treated in December of 2013.

Plant #058 had always had two (2) Forklift Drivers per shift, ever since 2001. The previous Management did not want us driving around a crowded plant . . ."with our hair on fire." They knew that, with two drivers per shift, costs might be a little higher; however, better quality and much improved SAFETY would justify it.

Crown Cork and Seal (Aurora) laid-off the very best of all the drivers last December 11th and then told an average driver (ME) that I had to do DOUBLE the work that I had done for the past thirteen (13) years. I am sixty (60) years old and I knew that it would be impossible for me to do all of that work safely. I called several members of Management and expressed my Safety concerns via voicemail messages; however, they did not even have the decency to call me back and talk about the issues involved with suddenly doubling the workload of a sixty-year-old man.

A few days later, I received a letter in the mail telling me that I had been FIRED, effective immediately. Apparently my fourteen (14) years of great attendance and hard work meant absolutely NOTHING to Crown Cork and Seal.

After firing me they did everything they could to block me from getting any unemployment compensation. I had to live on cash advances until I could find enough work to pay my bills. I'm certain also that they gave slanderous references to many of the prospective employers I applied with. I now work fifty (50) to sixty (60) hours every week in a new field Senior Health Care.

In conclusion, I advise folks to NOT get aboard that sinking ship known as Crown Cork and Seal, Inc. My credit is ruined and my retirement plans are damaged, but I least I didn't have a heart attack at C. C. & S. or accidentally hit someone with a forklift truck. – less
Factory
Coil Line Assistant (Former Employee), Perrysburg, OHApril 16, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: factory closed
Drove a forklift most of time working in warehouse and on production line. warehouse, loading and unloading trucks, production, quality control. Management not to involved in the day to day operations. Loading steal plate in to hopper for production by hand. Driving the forklift truck.
nice place to work
Accounting Clerk A/Receptionist (Former Employee), Dayotn OHMarch 11, 2014
it was nice place to work, the staff was easy to get a long with, not very hard job but no room for promotion
family like culture
Staff Accountant (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: free health insurance
Crown is a great place to work where co workers become a second family. Unfortunately the company is very "old school" and does not offer benefits such as flex time. Many employees are content with Crown so there is not a lot of movement until someone retires, which has a trickle down affect.
Good Atmosphere
Palletizer Operator (Former Employee), Conroe, TXOctober 18, 2013
I onloy worked here temporarily but in the time I did it was a decent job. The only thing I have to say is that they put me in a position and didn't instruct me properly as to what to do.
excellent job, terrible social environment
Mechanic (Former Employee), Lawrence, MaAugust 31, 2013
Pros: pension, pay rate, advancement opportunities, health insurance, union protections
Cons: break time conflicts, poor moral, very difficult social culture
The job is physically strenuous. It is dirty and loud. They wear ear plugs that block out sounds, including the human voice. The plant runs continuously and newbies are expected to pick it up on the fly without production stoppages. One of the bosses is a bully and will pressure his employees to bypass safety protocols, whip tools, and scream obscenities. – more... He will retaliate against dissenters and support the bad behavior of his favorites. In the summer it can reach 110 degrees and break times are *limited.*
However, it is a union shop. The pension is very good, unheard of these days. The health insurance policy is very good and the pay is a livable wage. There is room for advancement, especially for mechanically inclined employees.
The shop is majority male. There are a lot of issues with bigotry and sexism. The shifts are twelve hours, average 42 hours per week. Expect to work 7pm to 7am for your first ten years of employment. There are yearly layoffs that tend to be brief. – less
Used to be a good place to work at the Alsip R&D Technical Center
Ex-Crown Employee (Former Employee), Alsip, IL R&D Technical CenterAugust 31, 2013
Pros: company has a number of perks
Cons: no advancement and poor management
I used to like working here but was frustrated with not being able to advance. You never knew when the next wave of layoffs were coming and when it did, I saw people who worked hard and had value to the company get laid off while others who literally do nothing day to day are allowed to ride out there retirement. Definitely favoritism going on at the – more... Alsip R&D location. Most of Management were always trying to get noticed one way or another and coming up with goofy ideas which was frustrating to staff and it usaually turned into a circus. Company loyalty surely does not exist here. – less
Very exciting place to work.
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Aurora, ILJuly 8, 2013
Pros: profit gain share.
Cons: thirty minute lunch breaks.
The employees are all very nice people to work with. The hardest part of the job is working in a non-air conditioning warehouse.
good place to work for basic jobs
Quality Control Inspector (Former Employee), Aurora, ILMay 28, 2013
Pros: work 3-4 12 hour shifts free health insurance, shoes, uniform.
Cons: poor upper level management, too many chiefs for the amount of indians it has.
if you enjoy being a low level employee this place rocks however if your job seems unnecessary they will cut it in the event of a bad year of budget
Busy
Production (Former Employee), Massillon, OHFebruary 19, 2013
Made lids and package them in totes or bags. Clean the work area when the machine went down
Challenging and rewarding
Quality Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Aurora, ILFebruary 16, 2013
Pros: great benefits, responsibility, great co-workers
Cons: long hours, stressful at times
I was hired on as a temporary employee at Crown Cork and Seal just doing the basics of an office job with data entry and filing. I worked from 6-2:30 Monday-Friday and found myself yearning for more work because the little that I had was hard to fill an 8 hour day. Luckily about a month into my employment my boss asked if I could handle more responsibility – more... which of course I replied yes! She gave me a lot more tasks to do including handling mill claims, writing and updating standard operating procedures (SOP), inspecting all HFI products, audits and calibrating the gauges on an as needed basis. I went from work 40 hours a week to 60 hours a week and I loved every minute of it. I had a lot of responsibility and even though it was very stressful at times I loved the people that I worked with and I loved my bosses. The only reason I left was because I couldn't work the long hours and go back to school. I still stay in contact with my boss and some of the co-workers and I am thankful for all the knowledge I gained at Crown. – less
management
Fork Lift Operator (Former Employee), Portland, ORJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: bbqs and pizza feeds
Cons: they closed there doors .lied to employees
i learned a lot about the can making industry how to operate a fork lift. load and un load trucks the management would lie to your face tell you one thing and do another thing
Good Money Lots of overtime
Line Maintainer (Former Employee), Hanover, PAOctober 16, 2012
Pros: money
Cons: hours
Good Place to Work. Good Employees. Stressful Environment but the money makes up for it.
Not family friendly
In Line Machine Mechanic (Current Employee), Spartanburg, SCMarch 12, 2012
laid me off three times in 3 years. Management micro menages.

About Crown Cork and Seal

Crown Holdings wants to pop a top on profits. The company is a leading global manufacturer of consumer packaging; steel and aluminum food – Read more