Crowe Horwath LLP Employee Reviews

Fair pay
Intern - Assurance (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 30, 2016
Friendly staff and good pay. Long hours but that is to be expected in accounting. All things considered, a good company to start a career.
An autocratic setup with many areas for improvement.
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Dubai, DUJuly 29, 2015
A budding organisation with great potential, but is dragged back by inefficient management and support staff.
It needs to realize that its employees are its biggest assets and without proper development, training and incentives, they are going to remain demotivated.
Needs to raise the bar a couple of notches in order to bring itself to the level of the Big 4
Pros
Fixed work hours, Salaries paid on time without delay, Quick decision making.
Cons
Over-burdening of employees, Negligent managers, Poor support staff, Extreme cost-cutting environment, Low importance on employee development and morale, Demotivated & unsatisfied colleagues, Poor pay and benefits, Politics galore
Great for Career Coasting, Not for Development
Senior Valuation Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, ILJuly 20, 2015
This is a good company for those who are willing to settle. The work-life balance is great, people are great, and the pay is reflective of market. However, do not expect to learn too much here. People come here to ride out their careers, so don't expect active engagement or interest in your career plans. It is steady for now, but the industry will be shaken up resulting in unplanned losses. Not as safe as you think. If you are willing to trade time for money, then this might be a great place for you. If you are a hard-charger and want to progress in your career, look elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Disengaged Leadership; Limited investment in marketing/development; Menial raises
Great career opportunities, poor compensation.
Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 28, 2016
I began here out of college and had a great training experience. I was placed in San Francisco and began working during the busy season. there was many long working weeks and work life balance was slim during busy season which is to be expected in Accounting. I was disappointed with compensation, living in SF, the cost of living is extremely high. I did not feel like I was compensated appropriately to live in one of the most expensive cities in the US.
Horrible management
Team Administrator (Former Employee) –  Perth WAAugust 29, 2016
disgusting management and mistreatment of staff, the staff are dropping off every week. Manager is arrogant and will not train or assist the staff in any way.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Good place to start career
Senior Associate - Financial Advisory Services (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 20, 2016
You can grow and learn a lot from the different engagements you work on. I assume the Company is similar to other accounting firms out there.
Pros
Mobile enviroment
Cons
good
Senior Staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 7, 2016
good company to work for. good benefits. good people who are fun and a good learning opportunity. overall i would recommend it to a friend
Workplace
Audit Senior (Current Employee) –  Melaka, MalaysiaMay 27, 2016
We are working under safety and friendly environment, our working time are flexible. Under 5 years working life in Crowe Horwath, I learn a lot of audit skill.
Pros
Time flexible
Learning experience to start career
Senior Staff Auditor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 17, 2013
A typical day includes auditing financial statements of a client company with an audit team of 3-4 co-workers. Through the experience I have learned how certain companies in various industries operate from a financial perspective, and also how to work in a fast paced environment. Management from the audit perspective is usually organized and effective, but at times could show a disconnect among offices company-wide. A majority of my co-workers were younger professionals, and were great people to work with. The hardest part of the job is the nature of the work as it is difficult to be interested in auditing financial reports. The best part of the job is the flexibility in scheduling and the variety of company's and industries our clients operate in.
Pros
job security & advancement
Cons
management, work/life balance
Great place
Audit Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLMay 20, 2016
I love Crowe. I have nothing bad to say. It really was a great experience. I really enjoyed working there as an intern in their audit service.
Just a job...
Manager (Former Employee) –  LargeofficeMarch 4, 2013
Not rewarding in any sense of the word but can be a great start for entry level grads who want 2-4 yrs experience before going to something else. If you can travel a lot and hit your charge hours budget you can churn along; if you don't, it's best to start looking. Raises are small & bonuses are insulting unless you're a superstar in a very hot business line.

4 weeks vacation is misleading: that's vacn & sick & personal time combined and the firm has the option to require that you use it during slow periods.

Yes, there have been layoffs in the last 18 months - the reviewer who disputed this is wrong. It's done very, very quietly - sometimes people just seem to vanish.
Pros
nice people, training, premiums for travel
Cons
pay increases / bonuses, slow growth, silo culture
Good Company
Senior Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  South Bend, INApril 25, 2016
The company is trying hard to keep employees happy. I travel a lot in my group. There are very long hours during tax season.
Review 1
Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJAugust 24, 2013
It was a pleasure to work for a company with great culture and values. This was a company who cared about the employees and was clear communicating the expectation and direction were the company was going, even during the toughest economic times. Career development opportunities were offered to all employees.
Pros
compensation, great culture and management.
Cons
personally - long commute.
Good to Excel
"Audit & Tax Associate" (Former Employee) –  Islamabad PakistanNovember 28, 2015
I was satisfied with my stay at Crowe Horwath. Management is taking good care of things. Friendly environment, good clients and great office atmosphere.
intern audit services
Intern, Audit Services and Financial Advisory (Former Employee) –  Milano, LOMSeptember 10, 2015
Given the importance of audit services, many senior executives and audit committees look to Crowe Horwath International member firms for efficient procedures, the value of their work, and personal service. Your organization stands to gain in multiple areas - reputation, insight, service, and cost - by finding experienced auditors who truly value your business.
Lively and friendly culture
Auditor Trainee (Former Employee) –  Kuala Lumpur, MalaysiaMarch 6, 2015
-Typical day in CH:
Orientation was detailed, simple and fun

-Knowledge learnt :
Fundamental work for audit procedure, teamwork, interpersonal skills

-Management in CH:
Very organized and well-structured

-Co-workers:
Friendly and willing to assist and share information and knowledge

-Hardest part:
Being assigned to audit a small dormant company

-Fun part:
Being able to expose to different industry in 3 months time and able to make connection.
Pros
friendly culture
Cons
distance from home
Many opportunities to advance, steady work, good pay
IT Risk Consultant - Senior Staff (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2014
The job has seasonalities (really slow in Feb-April; extremely busy in Oct-Jan), but it's got a lot of perks. 4 weeks of PTO, great health/dental benefits. Work from home a lot if I'm not at a client site. Depending on how you view the travel, it can be a pain or a great joy. Most of us travel anywhere between 40-70% in the year. You get to keep the travel rewards, however...I've had many a vacation "for free" due to rewards from business travel.

As far as the actual work itself, it's challenging, but anyone above you is willing to help you out and will give you opportunities to advance your career. You have the flexibility to go into another business unit, or even transfer to another location if you want.
Pros
travel, work from home
Going downhill FAST
Senior Staff (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2012
Crowe is a slowly sinking ship. They've undergone huge layoffs across the board to the point of ridiculousness. Everyone is tiptoeing around wondering if they are going to be the next to be fired. Morale is very low. I haven't received a bonus in three years (and even when I did, my bonus was a joke).

The firm is very cheap and short-sighted. They've cut nearly all admin staff and a ton of their marketing and other support staff. They have been reducing the number of partners by way of demotions and layoffs. This means there is little or no opportunity for advancement for senior-level management, and therefore they can't recruit new senior talent. This will really hurt them over the long run.

Crowe's motto has always been that it is the unique alternative to the Big Four. However, with every change that management makes, it becomes more and more like the Big Four but at a much inferior level (lower compensation, less recognition, less respect).

Crowe has undergone a number of acquisitions in recent years which have worked out poorly. Similarly, the CEO fields calls on a daily basis where other firms are inquiring about making Crowe an acquisition target.

My advice is to stay away from Crowe. I don't think it will be around for much longer.
Pros
people are generally approachable and down-to-earth
Cons
huge layoffs, management is very short-sighted and slow to react, poor recognition, inferior talent pool
Intern oriented
Tax & Advisory Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 6, 2015
Made me understand the practical aspects of accounting and finance.
As an Intern understanding the practical aspect was paramount to becoming a qualified accountant.
Pros
long breaks as I was an Intern
New Name, Same Old Culture
Senior Audit and Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 25, 2014
My impression of this firm is that they reward the shrewd and the heartless, and integrity is not at the top of the priority list. Work life balance is about what you'd get at Big 4. Travel is often. If you don't like banks or schools, you probably won't like it here.
Pros
niche explosure for banking and schools
Cons
limited growth potential, frequent travel, high turnover, management