Crowe Horwath LLP

Crowe Horwath LLP Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Internship trainee (Former Employee) –  Pulau Pinang3 February 2017
My workplace culture is quite fun and competitive. Everyone has a positive working attitude and quite friendly, they willing to teach and help me when i meet some unsolved problems.

The management in that company is systematic. Besides, the hardest part in my job is when clients ask me some tax issues that i'm not really understand, so i have to seek some advice from my senior in order to help my clients.
Pros
Gain a lot of experience
Cons
A lot of files need to handle
Under-staffed
Senior Accountant - Fed Tax (Former Employee) –  New York, NY2 October 2016
Can be a fun place to work if the office politics stopped. Zero work life balance. There is a major disparity in who gets promoted and salary increases.The current CEO is working tirelessly to make positive changes and new initiations. All in all I am optimistic about the direction of the company.
Great Work Environment
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GA12 January 2017
Crowe Horwath is a great firm that provides employees with great benefits and a great environment to work in. We have free sodas, snacks, and coffee in our break room and the occasional catered in lunch. Even though the firm is the 7th largest firm in the nation, the Atlanta office is still relatively small. I like this for I was able to meet and get to know most coworkers. The work itself can be cumbersome at times but that I knew would be the case considering it's a public accounting firm. The hardest part of the job is the learning curves you have to get over. However, Crowe does a good job of giving you all the training you need so it's not as hard as it may seem at first.
Great career opportunities, poor compensation.
Staff Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA28 August 2016
I began here out of college and had a great training experience. I was placed in San Francisco and began working during the busy season. there was many long working weeks and work life balance was slim during busy season which is to be expected in Accounting. I was disappointed with compensation, living in SF, the cost of living is extremely high. I did not feel like I was compensated appropriately to live in one of the most expensive cities in the US.
It all depends on what area of the firm you work in.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IL20 February 2017
Firm leadership is forward-looking and inspiring. Crowe is an accounting and consulting firm, and I assume that the reality of the work is relatively close to the ideals espoused at the firm. However, the people in the "support" groups, such as Marketing, Human Resources, IT, etc., live a different reality.

Because these groups are considered cost centers, their resources are less than what is necessary to bring about the expected results in any reasonable manner. In addition, the firm bureaucracy presents difficulties with accomplishing anything substantive or bringing about real change. The stress leads to a lot of complaining and backbiting and not enough trust and effective teamwork. It also leads to people taking the easy route (e.g., cutting corners, pleasing only a particular partner, saying what people want to hear) rather than doing the right thing (what is right for the firm as a whole, telling the naked truth).

The overall culture is fairly conservative. More flamboyant, creative, or otherwise unusual types are not encouraged to be themselves and don't necessarily fit in. There's a nice "Midwestern" vibe - which can be a good thing but often results in passive aggressive behavior when people choose to be polite and not say directly what they mean.

I honestly believe that the accounting and consulting professionals do excellent work that brings value to the companies the firm works for. They don't stay with the firm long if they're not incredibly smart and hard-working. However, the support groups suffer from the daily stress of being undervalued and subject
  more... to unrealistic demands for good work done quickly without the resources needed to deliver it.  less
Pros
Nice people, smart people, growing firm that's in good financial health; very good benefits
Cons
Stressful every single day
Best Places to Work
Partner (Former Employee) –  Sherman Oaks, CA10 February 2017
After merging with Crowe, Horwath ("Crowe") in 2008 I found it to be a fantastic place to work. They are an expanding national CPA and consulting firm employing over 2,400 employees. I was a partner in Grobstein, Horwath & Co., LLP until the merger at which time I was retained as a partner in the bankruptcy and litigation consulting practice. The firm was very much people oriented and constantly received Best Places to Work awards in several states. In terms of the bankruptcy practice I really enjoyed the work, particularly with the professionals in the various law firms. Unfortunately, our work was negatively impacted by the improving economy and it resulted in making the decision to retire in March, 2015,
Pros
The professional environment, the caring for its people and most importantly working with our clients
Cons
Nothing with respect to the firm itself.
Great job
Healthcare Consultant (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN10 January 2017
This job was very focused and a driven environment. This is a very innovative place to work, so be ready to bring your ideas to the table. The benefits were amazing.
Great place to get experience and learn
Staff Auditor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI28 October 2016
Really great place to get experience and grow in the accounting industry. Good people. Good culture. I would suggest it to anybody looking to work in public accounting.
An autocratic setup with many areas for improvement.
Audit Associate (Current Employee) –  Dubai, DU29 July 2015
A budding organisation with great potential, but is dragged back by inefficient management and support staff.
It needs to realize that its employees are its biggest assets and without proper development, training and incentives, they are going to remain demotivated.
Needs to raise the bar a couple of notches in order to bring itself to the level of the Big 4
Pros
Fixed work hours, Salaries paid on time without delay, Quick decision making.
Cons
Over-burdening of employees, Negligent managers, Poor support staff, Extreme cost-cutting environment, Low importance on employee development and morale, Demotivated & unsatisfied colleagues, Poor pay and benefits, Politics galore
it was a good learning for a starter
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ras al-Khaimah12 September 2016
I learn many things to become independent the management was to friendly my co worker help me a lot I enjoyed my work place and my office staff. There was not much of pressure.
Excellent firm to start your career at
Audit Senior - Business Risk, Internal Audit (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GA28 January 2017
I learned a lot and gained a lot of valuable experience. It is an excellent work-place. The people are excellent and the environment is really nice. Everyone is very helpful.
Horrible management
Team Administrator (Former Employee) –  Perth WA29 August 2016
disgusting management and mistreatment of staff, the staff are dropping off every week. Manager is arrogant and will not train or assist the staff in any way.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Staff and Sr. Audit Staff
Senior Staff - General Audit (Former Employee) –  Oak Brook, IL28 November 2016
Crowe Horwath is a public accounting, consulting, and technology firm with offices across the globe. Connecting deep industry and specialized knowledge with innovative technology, our dedicated professionals create value for our clients with integrity and objectivity.
Great for Career Coasting, Not for Development
Senior Valuation Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Brook, IL20 July 2015
This is a good company for those who are willing to settle. The work-life balance is great, people are great, and the pay is reflective of market. However, do not expect to learn too much here. People come here to ride out their careers, so don't expect active engagement or interest in your career plans. It is steady for now, but the industry will be shaken up resulting in unplanned losses. Not as safe as you think. If you are willing to trade time for money, then this might be a great place for you. If you are a hard-charger and want to progress in your career, look elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Disengaged Leadership; Limited investment in marketing/development; Menial raises
good
Senior Staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL7 August 2016
good company to work for. good benefits. good people who are fun and a good learning opportunity. overall i would recommend it to a friend
Fair pay
Intern - Assurance (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FL30 March 2016
Friendly staff and good pay. Long hours but that is to be expected in accounting. All things considered, a good company to start a career.
Learning experience to start career
Senior Staff Auditor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MI17 January 2013
A typical day includes auditing financial statements of a client company with an audit team of 3-4 co-workers. Through the experience I have learned how certain companies in various industries operate from a financial perspective, and also how to work in a fast paced environment. Management from the audit perspective is usually organized and effective, but at times could show a disconnect among offices company-wide. A majority of my co-workers were younger professionals, and were great people to work with. The hardest part of the job is the nature of the work as it is difficult to be interested in auditing financial reports. The best part of the job is the flexibility in scheduling and the variety of company's and industries our clients operate in.
Pros
job security & advancement
Cons
management, work/life balance
Just a job...
Manager (Former Employee) –  Largeoffice4 March 2013
Not rewarding in any sense of the word but can be a great start for entry level grads who want 2-4 yrs experience before going to something else. If you can travel a lot and hit your charge hours budget you can churn along; if you don't, it's best to start looking. Raises are small & bonuses are insulting unless you're a superstar in a very hot business line.

4 weeks vacation is misleading: that's vacn & sick & personal time combined and the firm has the option to require that you use it during slow periods.

Yes, there have been layoffs in the last 18 months - the reviewer who disputed this is wrong. It's done very, very quietly - sometimes people just seem to vanish.
Pros
nice people, training, premiums for travel
Cons
pay increases / bonuses, slow growth, silo culture
Overall Good
Senior Audit Staff (Current Employee) –  South Bend, IN4 October 2016
The company has a lot of flexibility in what you want to do and depending on the people you work under you can have a lot of one on one time.
Review 1
Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJ24 August 2013
It was a pleasure to work for a company with great culture and values. This was a company who cared about the employees and was clear communicating the expectation and direction were the company was going, even during the toughest economic times. Career development opportunities were offered to all employees.
Pros
Compensation, great culture and management.
Cons
Personally - long commute.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crowe Horwath LLP. Our community is ready to answer.