Being a WEP firefighter provides knowledge and experience that fire departments look for in new recruits. This challenging and rewarding opportunity offers you the ability to maintain and enhance your previously acquired skills while responding to emergencies or performing required station duties.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE APPLICATION FORM LOCATED AT
A 12 month commitment to the work experience program is required, with the exception of those hired to a career fire department during their program. Daily duties of the WEP firefighter is balanced between, but not limited to; fire suppression, technical rescue, medical response, fire prevention, public education, company fire inspections, pre-planning, maintenance duties of equipment and fire station, as well as community events.
WEP firefighters work a standard daytime shift routine Monday to Friday and are scheduled for duty coverage on weekends on a rotational basis.
WEP firefighters live at the station. Sleeping quarters are bunk type dorms accommodating both men and women. Full laundry, cooking, washrooms, showers, and lounge facilities are provided at no cost. Other amenities include wireless internet and television.
WEP firefighters will be remunerated for response to emergencies, attendance to regularly scheduled training, and standby duties.
In addition WEP firefighters receive $1800.00 which can be taken in the form of education allowance or stipend to assist with living expenses. A complimentary pass to the Creston and District Community Centre for swimming and gym is provided to WEP firefighters to help maintain physical fitness and offer a form of recreation.
Enhancing your skills to assist you in your career search is our priority.
WEP firefighters are mentored by experienced training and fire officers. You will participate in specialized WEP training evolutions, regular training sessions with department, assist in training paid-on-call firefighters and personal development education. You will also have self-directed training opportunities from the department and through your training allowance through the College of the Rockies, Justice Institute of British Columbia and others hosted by Creston Fire Rescue.
Certificate courses may include; Strategy and Tactics, Fire Service Instructor, Emergency Scene Traffic Control, Rapid Intervention Team, Emergency Vehicle Operator, Pumps and Pumping, Incident Command System 100 – 300, Fire Officer 1 and many more.
Within the program WEP firefighters certify to Emergency Medical Assistant First Responder Level 3 with spinal, AED and Imminent Child Birth endorsements. WEP firefighters have the opportunity to share their previous acquired skills through development of lesson plans and drills to challenge the paid-on-call fighters.
Specific to WEP firefighters instruction in resume writing and interview skills will be provided to set you a part.
Work Experience Program Entrance Requirements
- Canadian Citizen or Landed Immigrant.
- High School Graduate.
- 19 years of age or older.
- NFPA 1001 - Firefighter 1&2 or equivalent certification.
- Consent to Criminal Record check.
- In-depth personal record check.
- Driver’s License with Air Brake Endorsement, driver's abstract with no more than 3 points.
- Doctor's Medical Clearance or Certificate of Fitness; Fit Tech, CPAT or York.
- Commitment to a 12 month Work Experience Program.
- Advanced level of First Aid Training
- First Responder Level 3
- Occupational First Aid Level 3
- Emergency Medical Responder
- Primary Care Paramedic or equivalent
- Previous firefighting or other related work
- Technical, Trades or equivalent level
- Post Secondary Academic Diploma
Please Ensure The Following Documents Are Attached To The Application:
- Ensure all of the application is complete.
- Current within 10 days, Driver Abstract Attached
- Photocopy of your driver’s license; both sides.
- Copies of Transcripts referred to in your application
- Copies of all course Certificates referred to in your application
- Consent for Criminal Record Check has been detached and submitted to your local RCMP.
DOWNLOAD APPLICATION AT www.creston.ca/Firefighter-Work-Experience-Program
You may scan all application information and copies of documents and certificates and email.