Crawford & Company Employee Reviews in Canada

Nice place to work, but they screw you over.
CSR / Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONMarch 31, 2016
Both my signifigant other and I have worked at crawford, I was a CSR - dispatch and my other half is a telephone adjuster. I got hired on, and had to take 2 weeks for training (i had to pay a babysitter due to my kids not being in school) Right when my training was over, my first day by myself there was absolutely nobody i could go to if there was a problem. I was told i'd be working 6 hours a night, when in reality id be there for maybe 1.5-3 hours..... 5 days later I was fired because I "made too many mistakes" nobody told me about these "mistakes" i was making or even told me how to correct them. My other half has been working there since his Co-Op they had him as a contract worker, a co-worker passed away and he took over her position (still contract, refused to make him a salary worker) He applied every time there was a opening salary position, but they kept turning him down. Now AVIVA has pulled out all their business at his office and they are laying everyone off. Now Both my SO and I are jobless and are scrambling to find new work so we dont end up on the streets. I am very disappointed in how they have treated him.
Pros
Second day of working i got free lunch.
Cons
training isnt as thorough as it should be.
Crawford Review
Supervisor of Collections (Current Employee) –  KWOctober 8, 2015
Crawford & Company provided me with an environment to grow as a supervisor. To take the knowledge in my field and put it into practice. Crawford also provided me with a work life balance. Providing me with a schedule that met both of our needs.

I had a great team to support me, and an excellent management team. The other teams I worked with had great supervisors as well, who where not only great at their jobs but willing to help me get up to speed as the newest supervisor to the team.
Pros
Great Work Life Balancce
Horrible Management
CSR Administration & Intake (Former Employee) –  WaterlooJuly 15, 2015
I would never recommend Crawford & Company as a place of employment. They treat their employees unfairly and fail to follow through with promises of advancement. I worked there for a year and had to get out of their before I lost my mind. Management (especially the new Manager) have no idea what they are doing. They are sending their departments overseas yet still hiring new ppl just to string them along, its horrible. The previous reviews talking about how good Crawford is seems a bit sketchy. I can only assume that they are either part of management or new employees. The Waterloo branch has the worst turn around for New Hires vs Employee's quitting. They can't seem to keep an employee longer then a year and a half. A job should not have so much stress for such little pay. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY
Pros
okay start time wage
Cons
Horrible management, bad hours, empty promises
Underpaid, over worked
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONSeptember 30, 2014
Underpaid, over worked. Don't expect a raise, but expect to be piled with work. Initial training was very elaborate, but further training on higher client lines was minimal (read it by yourself). Schedule preferences are not to your preferences, but theirs, so if you have prior engagements expect a fight. Management is not well trained; Team Leaders do not give sound advice. Additionally, there is a high turn over rate and the office is usually understaffed, which means there is more work. When busy, breaks are not allowed
Pros
great people
Cons
poor management and pay; over worked
Good place to work. Staff is very nice to get along with and very accommidating
Office Administrator (Auto Appraisal Division) (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, OntarioJuly 22, 2014
I enjoy working. Any job that was given to me I did to the best of my ability. I was trained very well. There was times that the job was very demanding but you just put your mind to it and it all works out. I have great supervisors and Management. They were willing to challenge me in my job and I never let them down.
Pros
lots of new things to learn and always given the chance to try
Cons
no benefits as i was contract
The most forward thinking innovative place I've worked at in the past 20 years
Adjuster (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaMarch 30, 2014
A place where I am treated like an adult, I am not micro managed, I am encouraged. The benefits are great, very flexible work schedule, state of the art technology, very pro active management, this company gets things done and at high speed. Everything is at your finger tips, set up to succeed. There is no formal training so if you aren't a self starter and need a lot of guidance and to be lead by the nose then this is not the right place for you. If you like being given responsibility, very slick streamlined no double handling work then this is a great environment. Probably the only place in 20 years that I have felt like a valued individual instead of a number or cog in a wheel. This is a dynamic, innovative company that isn't stuck in the past. Other companies should be watching for this one because while the fat cats sit back and provide 2+ week turn around times companies like this are swooping in and servicing in hours rather than weeks...
Pros
the most flexible working conditions i've ever had, proactive, get treated with respect
Cons
no formal training
Productive and fun work place with great atmosphere.
Office support for P&C and AB adjusters (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 2, 2012
I was a sussort for P&C and AB adjusters my everyday duties included assembly of various reports, letters,scanning, faxing,photocoying,filing,CMS entry like attaching scanned documents,docketing,reserves adjustment, monitoring new claim inbox. I also was a back up for the switchboard and mail room.
I was an english teacher in Poland so working there was a great new experience for me learned a lot especially all the office oriented tasks. Loved working among the people that were there the co-workers as well as the management.
The hardest part i think maybe was the monitoring of the new claim inbox. I liked everything about that job it gave me the ability to work independently as we as a team member
Good job, no security
Claims Care Agent (Former Employee) –  180 King St. EastApril 7, 2014
The job overall was moderately fun and not difficult at all. I was really looking forward to working in the position for awhile.

However as soon as I completed my training I was let go (after countless good reviews during training, passing all my courses and great reviews while on the phone) because I filled out my schedule preference sheet to my preferences instead of what they wanted.

The company has a reputation of firing people for the silliest of reasons and I was a victim of it.
Pros
easy job, good pay
Cons
management does not care about you
A good place to work and learn from the ground up.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 20, 2013
My day was filled with multi-tasking from the time I started with Crawford. A typical day was claims intake and set up, typing daily correspondence, assisting clients, to processing the mail and courier.

I learned the claims process from the ground up by working at Crawford as well as being introduced to multiple software systems and being allowed to become proficient on each and every one of them.

My co-workers in all four branches were some of the nicest, friendliest, most helpful people you would ever meet. We would help train each other, be each other's back up. We made a good team.

The hardest part of the job was remembering all the protocols of each and every one of our clients, thank goodness we were provided with resources to help us with that.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was helping people when they needed us.
A good job
Agent of the administrator (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 14, 2014
A typical day at Crawford included speaking with clients and answering their inquiries. I was also assigned to retrieve voicemails and return their call. Some clients were rather difficult due to their claim being at a standstill. I learned a lot about the Residential School Settlement, what defines a class action and how it works. The most enjoyable part of the job was speaking with our clients and hearing their stories. Although some stories were quite disturbing, it was encouraging to hear about them overcoming their unfortunate situations. Unfortunately, not everyone had a positive conclusion to their stories and it was very difficult to hear how their lives had been so negatively impacted due to their time in these schools.
claims adjuster
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 18, 2014
-handle claims
-learned how to handle different claims and deal with different types of people
-management is okay
-having to face work overload
-co-workers
Pros
people
Cons
expectations of overtime without pay, excessive work demands
Excellent Employer
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawford & CompanyMarch 24, 2014
I worked at Crawford for 17 years first in the Healthcare Division, then the Adjusters division when Healthcare in Niagara closed. When we were busy it was a great atmosphere to work in and great people with varying personalities. When we lost a big contract, the office began to slow down which unfortunately led to layoffs. I have no ill feelings towards the company.
Pros
great employer
Cons
being laid off
An interesting experience to develop, experience and pursue knoweldge.
Senior Claims Specialist (Adjuster) (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJune 7, 2013
- interesting,busy and fullfilling
- gained valuable knowledge
- reasonble
- very understanding
- demands on the employee
- meeting with external clients (lawyer, mediators, service provider.
Pros
emcompassing of different skills to provide excellent service
Cons
exceptionally time sensitive
Productive and fun to work at.
Reception, Mailroom, Filing, Photo copying. (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 5, 2012
I worked at Crawford & Company for the summer, it was only a summer job because I had school starting in September and it was full time all the way in Mississauga.
It was really productive, and a very fun place to work at. Most of the time it was very busy, but that's what I liked.
Pros
good lunches
A work week at crawford and company
Software Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJanuary 28, 2014
My typical day
• Created and executed automated software test plans, cases and scripts to uncover, identify and document software problems and their causes.
• Contributed to the QA process improvement and documentation for support in Department Audits.
• Take an active role in backlog grooming to ensure all requirements given are testable and well understood.
• Lead QA status meetings at the daily scrum.
• Ad Hoc Status Reporting on QA status
• Support the project team in all aspects of the project life cycle
• Tested all Web Services between the .net in house application to external systems such as External Bank’s, Appian workflow, Navision accounting services as well as the online claims processing applications
• Applications tested in .Net, ASP.Net, Appian, HTML%, Crystal Reports with the back end of SQL and MySQL. Run simple SQL scripts to validate data within the application directly from the database.
• Pinpointed previously undiscovered flaw in new software release, resulting in formal commendation letter from the department head
• Identified the root cause of intermittent interoperability glitch in the software, leading to a better release
• Conducted formal and informal product design reviews throughout the software development lifecycle to provide input on functional requirements, product designs, schedules and potential issues. Leveraged my communication to communicate effectively with software design team, quickly gaining their respect and becoming a valued, “go-to” team member on challenging test cases
I learn everything that you see above.
Management was great,
  more... they were flexible in hours
co-works were amazing, cause we worked as team and not as individuals
The hardest part of the jobs is that there was not enough hours in a day.
The most enjoyable part of the jobs is seeing the end result of a successful project.
Pros
speaking with co-works and getting their fee- back
Cons
that it was a contract
Social activities are always planned to encourage integration: Table tennis tournaments, Golf tournaments, Halloween contests.. etc
IT Application support specialist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMay 28, 2013
Excellent work environment, high level of professionalism and work ethic.
Great Co-Workers, Slow to Change
Bilingual Representative (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONJuly 2, 2014
I got along well with everyone, but process improvement is not front and centre for my division.
Pros
great people
Cons
slow to change, not very open to feedback