Crate and Barrel

Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
LOVED IT!
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 12, 2014
Pros: lunches, pay, co workers
Cons: busy
Best Retail sales job ive had in a long time the environment was inspirational. the teamwork was fantastic. Overall I LOVED WORKING THERE.
Wonderful people, great product
Sales associate / Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 10, 2014
It is easy to work for a company that sells good quality products for a fair price and is willing to teach you about anything.
Not enough
stock associate (Former Employee), Robson street VancouverJuly 21, 2014
Pros: flexible schedulle
Cons: wage
My previous jobs were as the name said just jobs, now I want to have a career here in Vancouver BC. I studied Electromechanical engineering in Portugal and I need an accreditation to work in my field here. But first I want to get inside the industry and then study at the same time that I'm working.
productive and fun workplace
Sales Advisor (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCNovember 27, 2013
I loved CB2. It was a great company to work with and the management and staff are great.
I have always worked with clothing retail so I found it a great and exciting challenge to work in a store with fashion forward furniture and concept. I learnt a new way of customer service approach where you deal with the clientele on a one to one basis. It's more – more... personal and sometimes you end up having an on going retail relationship with them because they come back and ask for you. I got to deal with designers, interior designers and the movie industry which was a whole other ballgame compared to working with personal buying for your home.
The hardest part of the job was honestly when it slowed down and there wasn't much to do and I like it to be busy and always have something to do. I found it hard sometimes to deal with a customer that has experienced an unsuccessful delivery (the service provided to them) or the furniture it self was not satisfying in quality and so forth because you get blamed for everything but we had a great management team that would guide us through it or take over to fix the problem at hand.

I loved the staff and that made working there enjoyable and easy. we all helped each other out instead of working against each other. We have a shared commission instead of individual so it was important that everyone pulled their weight. – less
Great customer and wonderful product
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2013
Pros: great staff discount
Cons: poor salary and management
Meeting the great customers that come in to Crate and Barrel and working with some fantastic Furniture and Housewares product makes working at Crate and Barrel an interesting opportunity. Working as a part of the Merchandising team requires you to be fit because it is a lot of physical work but overall very rewarding. Most of the Housewares Sales staff – more... are wonderful. The Management team is weak and some of the Commission Sales staff are unjustifiably unpleasant. – less
Great exposure to home design sales
Department Manager (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 21, 2013
Pros: discount, most people, the company itself
Cons: sales pressure
The highlights for me were the part/full time sales staff - they were truly awesome coworkers, the discount (40% if I remember correctly) and being able to have your own little "home" of a department for a little while.

Even though you are still responsible for the sales throughout the entire store, it was still nice to know that your little oasis – more... was your biggest feat - and it was fun to maintain!

The only things I could say that is a con; sales pressure can be immense (but that's in any management job in retail) and unfortunately not everyone you work with will you see 'eye to eye' with. – less
management
management (Former Employee), Miami, flDecember 2, 2014
• Manage and motivate the team to increase sales and ensure efficiency
• Employee of the quarter multiple of times, with the highest sales
• Training new employee as well as coaching
• Event coordinator for the weekly and monthly events
• Manage store operation with key holding responsibility; opening and closing
Outgoing place to work.
Sales rep (Former Employee), Pasadena, CANovember 24, 2014
Very fun lots to do in a day. Learn something new everyday. New products/iteams.
Fun Homestore Team
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Manhasset, NYNovember 17, 2014
Everyone at the Manhsset location is great to work with. Since I started there, I could comfortably ask anyone whatever question I had. A typical day on the housewares sales floor consists of greeting and assisting customers while maintaining the core visual standards. The management team is okay, but there could be improvements in standards that they – more... must follow. At work I have the opportunity to learn about all the different products we sell and share that information with other associates as well as customers. I would say the hardest part of being on the housewares team is that there is no formal training on the furniture pieces that are used on the floor. SO when a customer inquires about it, we as associates lose credibility. If there was a quick snapshot of all the pieces on the housewares floor - name, price point, colors - would be a valuable resource. – less
A Learning Experience
Sales Lead/Floor Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 6, 2014
As a floor manager at Crate&Barrel, I spent a lot of time on the sales floor working with associates and customers on a daily basis. I ensured associated provided the WOW experience to or customer and I also provided WOW experience when working with customers in selling and dealing with customer service issues.
Best Retail Experience
Sales/ Retail (Current Employee), Indianapolis and Los AngelesNovember 3, 2014
Pros: organized, vested employee interest, competitive wages
Cons: should be a stand alone store.
I began as a PT seasonal Merch Associate last holiday season at the Indianapolis location. It was immediate apparent that the company actually cared about their employees.

Management displayed very organized and organic enthusiasm for the product and co-workers. The most enjoyable nights were Tuesday night's closing crew. From sales team to Merch team, – more... everyone was very close-knit.

Crate and Barrel is also wonderful for those who invest interest in travel. There were many co workers at the Indianapolis store that had transferred from other cities in the U.S.

I ended up transferring out to LA location and was able to transfer with my position out to The Grove location. – less
Poor management has made this a company to avoid.
Full time stock/merchandise associate (Former Employee), Westport, CTOctober 17, 2014
Pros: great co workers
Cons: poor magement, lack of advancement possiblity
The management of this company (from corporate to each individual store) has only gone down in the last 5 years. A lack of leadership has made it a miserable place to work. Management fails to listen to its employees. Opportunities are very few and far between to move up and if there is one, it takes more then just hard work to get it. If you know what – more... I mean.

Co-workers (non management) for the most part are wonderful. The best part of working there was getting to work with such amazing people and build friendships with them.

The hardest part of the job was that on a daily basis, nobody had a real clue of what we were supposed to accomplish. The managers rarely communicate with each other so we would end up doing tasks multiple times. – less
very productive
picker / stocker / loader and unloader (Former Employee), NJOctober 8, 2014
Pros: everything
this was a good job only thing i had problems with was the fact i was hired threw an agency
Crate & Barrel was a wonderful learning experience.
Floor Manager/ Store Sales Manager Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 1, 2014
Pros: great, hardworking staff.
Cons: not the best management in the world.
The brand became really corporate when they sold the company.
Great first job experience
Office Assistant/Department Manager/ (Former Employee), San Jose, CASeptember 26, 2014
I loved working for Crate and Barrel. I started from the lowest postion and was able to work my way up. Its great how they promote from within. I learned so much from the merchandise to life lessons that will forever help me along the way. Management was great, always understanding and willing to connect with you on a more personal level than I have – more... seen before. The hardest part of the job was not being able to solve a problem. Since I worked in customer service I was always fixing the mistakes and it was hard when the proper solution was not avaiable. The most enjoyable part of the job was all the experience I was able to get in my 5 years there. – less
Fun place to work, great co-workers!
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kittery, MESeptember 7, 2014
Pros: fun product, great co-workers
Cons: occasional unreasonable customers
As an outlet sales associate we did a little bit of everything from working the sales floor and solving customer service issues to stocking product. Working here I've learned a lot about the products that are offered at Crate & Barrel as well as how outlet retail functions. The manager are were always fair and cared about the associates and always listened – more... to concerns and were happy to help. My co-workers were wonderful and were always happy to help and support each other in order to work as a team. The hardest part of the job was being on my feet all day and the frustration of trying to find certain products that were supposedly in stock as well as trying to explain outlet pricing to customers. The most enjoyable part was being able to help customers find really great products that would work well for them. – less
Best retail job I have ever had.
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee), Leawood, KSAugust 25, 2014
Pros: great culture, fun environment, decent pay for part-time, long lunches
Cons: can be physically demanding, customers can be a hassle
This was the perfect part-time job to have during my final years of College. The culture of the Crate and Barrel was my favorite part. They cultivated a positive, fun environment without it feeling too forced, as well as encouraging friendship and interaction between co-workers. The job can be very hectic and physically demanding but wasn't anything – more... that any other retail outlet demands. The managers worked very will with my changes in schedule due to school and other obligations and were very understanding of emergencies. I have gained some great friends and memories from this job experience and I recommend Crate and Barrel to anyone needing some part-time work to get them through college or the holiday season. – less
Easy Job Not great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 19, 2014
Pros: $10.00, easy
Cons: management, hours, sometimes coworkers
If you are looking at Sales you will you only be part time. There are no full time Sales or Merchandizing that they are hiring for ever! They will work long hours, 8hrs, they tend to be boring and just exhausting.
You learn the basic of registrar, ordering,back orders and lots LOTS of product knowledge. If you are lucky, you will learn some thing along – more... the way like the back room or back order. They do not like Sales team in the back at all! You more then likely get in some kind of trouble.
Management... like many places you got your good ones and just terrible ones. For the sales, they show you who their favorites are!!! Half the time. I just wanted to do my job and not be bothered by them. If you need help they are their for you just like everyone else is. Something on registrar have to be approved my a manager and they can take a while to come get to you. Often times leaving you and the customer annoyed with the wait time. I did not fill welcomed by them if i had to share a problem or concerns. They just email each (other management) other and share with the problem that someone shared with them in confident. Often times, They keep quite and look the other way. Just so they do not get involved.
Co-workers, they know how to work around the system and the so called "favorites ones" will take advantage of it. Often leaving the floor and returning just to be seen on occasion for their whole shift. They have lazy-er employees just like everywhere but you know who they are here and so does management.
Parking here (Houston) is just a mess! Not worth standing on your feet for hours and walking 5 miles to get to your car. Unless you catch the bus, if you are lucky!

CEO is no longer apart of the company! That's saying something! – less
Productive and great people to work with
Lumper (Former Employee), Tracy, CAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: close to home, good working environment
Cons: n/a
Crate and Barrel was a excellent place to work. My co-workers were all really down to earth good people. Can't really complain. Time did fly during work
The people you work with makes the environment a great atmosphere.
Merchandise Team (Current Employee), Boston, MAAugust 15, 2014
The people, the product is what makes Crate & Barrel a fun and joyful place of work.

1 2 3 4 5

About Crate and Barrel

Working directly with European ateliers and factories to import their products, Crate and Barrel was among the first retailers – Read more

Crate and Barrel Photos