Crate and Barrel Employee Reviews

Good experience
Training provided
Good management
Flexible work hours
Good place to start work
Merchandise discount
Quality products on display
Clean work area
Crate is family
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 July 2017
While working at crate and barrel it legitimately felt like one big family that cares for each other and is full of dependable people. The management staff treat you as if your equal to their level, rank is but a tittle to them and that what made going to work so fun. We all got together outside of work and were truly friends inside and outside of work. While working for this company it never felt like work more like helping each other keep our 'home" running efficiently.
Pros
you will inherit a new family
Cons
you'll never want to leave
Great place to work, but very low hours motivated me to quit.
Warehouse and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 June 2017
Most days were fun and engaging, I've worked in a few warehouse/retail environments and crate and barrel was very comfortable as far as retail goes. My coworkers were lovely and a lot of fun, the culture was incredible.

I eventually quit after missing two shifts, humiliating I know. I'd stopped checking the scheduling app because shifts were so rare for me. I was a part time employee who had been trained for both sales and warehouse work, but I was lucky to get more than 3 hours week, down from 35 hours a week during the holiday season. I stopped being able to continue investments or pay bills, and despite asking many managers about the situation I was always told that all part time employees were dealing with this, and there was nothing they could do.

The company hired more people while many employees, not just myself, were on austerity hours. This was very frustrating and I quit.

I'm sad that my employment ended with them the way it did, I really enjoyed the culture and the people and I would've kept working there had they kept giving me a reliable salary.
amazing
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 June 2017
This retail was a great experience. Very recommended if you're interested in retail. The management was great and took care of their employees. Highly recommended.
Great working environment! Very nice products.
Sales and Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 June 2017
Enjoyable job with fun, positive people. Flexible scheduling. I gained a lot of knowledge and experience dealing with customers and working in a fast paced retail business.
fun work with staffs
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2017
Crate& Barrel is so elegant that I love there to see many different items. also new arrival. people are very friendly, helped. many customers come in the store brought some Glassware and Kitchen Tools most of them. Items high quality.
Pros
always host small party
Cons
12 pers hours
Welcoming and relaxed
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 March 2017
Very kind and supportive team. Learned to manage small groups of people, while ensuring productivity for smooth work days. Teams were always acknowledged for accomplishments and hard work, without overwhelming sense of pressure. On busy days, have to be quick to problem solve and meet clients' needs, and on slow days were able to learn/practice new skills.
Pros
Fun, relaxed work environment
Cons
Can get hectic trying to multi-task on busy days
Fun workplace
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 February 2017
Working here is great but the pay and hours are not the greatest. I recommend working her if you want a second job for more income.
higher salary or discount persentage
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 December 2016
company does not honor the hard work of its team enough! salary is so low compare to the work load. there is no real appreciation program as some other companies have.
nice colleague and manager
Merchandising Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 November 2016
crate and barrel has good place to work, there are nice colleague and manager and helpful. i like this place although the wage is low.
very fun, and work friendly environment.
Crate & Barrel, south centre (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2016
had a great time working here for the seasonal warehouse, always had something to do, and always had clear instructions of what needed to be done.
Pros
great hours
Management issues and unreasonable expectations of staff responsibility without compensation
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 January 2016
Management in store and at the higher levels were the biggest problems with this company. They don't seem to realize that minimum wage with no benefits, working just shy of full time hours without being a full time staff member due to budget constraints, does not make for happy, healthy employees. When you spend all your life working and can still barely afford rent and food it's not a good fit.

The number of times lower level staff members, as a higher authority access on the computer system, were left essentially in charge of the floor while the managers had all store meetings, without being compensated with thanks or proper salary level, was laughable. Lack of advancement within the company was another issue. If you have long term staff who are trained and competent in higher level job qualifications, why would you pass them over for the few promotions that come up and hire from outside, starting from scratch? It's not good for morale.

If it weren't for the relationships that grew with my coworkers I would not have stayed as long as I did. I have some lifelong friends from this store

This kind of work situation is to be expected from lower level customer service jobs, but Crate & Barrel touts itself as a higher end option for customers, you'd think they be that for employees too.

This is a fine job for someone looking to get out of the house on a part time basis for some extra cash, but it is not a job to live off of.
Bon emploi pour un étudiant
Associée aux ventes (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC28 December 2015
Les heures de travail sont flexibles.
Les employés sont gentils et la clientèle peut être difficile ou agréable.
Ok but Not Great
Customer Service/ Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Office and Back of House26 October 2015
Honestly Crate was not the worst place in the world to work, it just was not the place to try to build a life.
There is constant turn over of management because the moment they are hired it is made very clear that they will not be capable of having normal home or social lives, this is also very true of all full time associates as all schedules are released at the last possible moment Friday night for the following Monday.
Also the Hiring management very rarely take into consideration what is actually needed for individual departments to run smoothly and never ask for full timers impute with how productivity could be improved.
This is a good place for a student or part timer looking for nightshifts.
Pros
easily accessible by transit
Cons
not considerate of "Home Life" expectations
Great starting job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga4 October 2015
While I was looking for to start my career, I took on a job at Crate & Barrel as a seasonal worker. They had awesome management, great customers, and nifty gadgets. Don't get me wrong, it is still retail, but of all the retail places I worked at -- this one was so well managed. If you needed a longer lunch break, no problem! Just let the manager know and it would be done. I was sad when I didn't get hired on after the seasonal run, but the manager I had put in a great reference that got me the career job I currently work at!
Pros
Discounts on awesome products (nice gift ideas), Good management, Paid team meetings
Cons
Early morning set ups
crate and barrel
Merchandise Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 July 2015
I look forward to hear back from you to further discuss my role at my current work place at Crate and Barrel as a merchandise associate who specializes in store design, floor stocking and general merchandise.
Great place
Sales Expert (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 June 2015
I enjoyed living and working with Crate family for more than a year. Good people and vibe, amazing company to work for with a great culture.
Une journée de camions
Commis de marchandisage (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC5 June 2015
Deux fois par semaine des camions provenant des États-Unis, viennent déchargés de la marchandises afin de remplir l'inventaire du magasin.
Ainsi, cela consiste à identifié tous les articles avec leur SKU et se référer au rapport qui nous indique le nombre d'articles que nous devons déposer sur le plancher des ventes, le nombre d'articles que nous devons déposer pour les commandes en souffrance, ainsi que le nombre d'articles allant dans l'entrepôt.
Mon travail à moi est de prendre en charge les articles qui vont sur le plancher des ventes, et de trouver leurs maisons. Dans la majorité des cas, l'article à été remplacé par un autre puisque nous n'avions pu celui-ci en réserve.
Par la suite, je me charge d'étiqueté tous les articles que j'ai positionné pour que les prix soient visibles facilement pour les clients.
Pros
Souvent des événements avec repas gratuits
Cons
Travail sur de longues heures (peut marcher jusqu'à 20 km par jour)
Fun work place
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary Ab6 May 2015
When I first came in I would grab my headset then start unloading the merchandise from the truck while I was unloading people would call up for items so I would locate the item and bring it down to the customer. I learned categorization skills. management was good, never really talked to them. the hardest part of the job was making sure that I put the right item in the right spot. most enjoyable part is when I was working there a lot of my friends were also so I would always have at least one person to go on break with.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Messy work place
Part-time Seasonal Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2015
There is always something to do at crate and barrel. The co-workers there are lovely and always eager to help. The only con I would have to say would be there would need to be more team work required. Some people are left doing more work than others.
Pros
Friendly enviornment
Cons
More team work effort required

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Crate and Barrel. Our community is ready to answer.