CPI Corp Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and fun workplace
PRODUCTION ELECTRONIC TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Concord, ONApril 4, 2016
Productive and fun workplace, good benefits, good management, good place for job and carrier, nice co- workers, ways for carrier, good placement, big parking
Fast pace, Creative, Fun Environment
District Manager, (Former Employee) –  Manitoba - Western OntarioAugust 12, 2015
Managing multiple stores in two separate divisions was both challenging and rewarding. Everyday was different and although planning was essential, change was inevitable and being able to think on your toes and adapt was crucial. Creative ways of running the business was rewarded and often recognized between peers. There were challenges and targets and lots of great competition to keep you engaged and motivated. There were multiple support tools and resources on how to be successful.

Getting involved and showing teams how to be successful was encouraged, which allowed more hands on training and great manager employee relationships that in the end built team support. Managers were leaders and worked with the team.

The hardest part of the job would be work life balance. There were times that working around the clock was mandatory for a successful business. However there were times that you cold take that time in the off season.

Great career!
Pros
Make your own schedule, creative environment, many growth opportunities
Cons
Some unexpected travel
Photographer
Studio Associate / Photographer (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BCMay 4, 2015
90% of the time you will be working alone, managing the studio and handling retail.

They hire you as a photographer even if you do not have any photography experience at all. And don't expect to have proper training. The training given is just a surf the CPI website and read. For a "profesional" photography service that they claim to offer, employing people with no experience in photography is very untruthful with their clients.

Management-wise, you are left alone without proper training managing a great number of clients complaining because the stores only require one person to do the job for a 2-3 person job.

You will be taking passport photos, portrait photos, handling cash, receiving shipment, and you need to finish on-time. If you go over store hours because you can't manage to close the store / studio alone with the amount of clients, you also don't get paid overtime.

The experience was so bad I didn't even care to last more than a month. It was a total waste of time and energy.
Pros
Cons
Management, No-Overtime Pay, Always low on staff, low pay.
Fun place to work
Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto,ONOctober 7, 2014
My day working there ,were responsible and having fun taking pictures ,after that,the responsibility selling packages ,cash operator. Always greet customer with a smile on ,making then feel comfortable, some times working alone all day made me learn and practice more and more about customer service.
My co-workers was a real team ,honesty ,friendly and professional.
The hardest part was when I wanted to do something more or different but I had to keep on The company rules.
Everything was enjoyable ,I was learning and showing growth ,the most enjoyable was feel professional,solve problems alone in a fast paced Environment,made me feel happy ,it was a kind of a job I was doing like hobby a thing you know how to do ,what to say ,how to solve ,makes you go happier to work ,because you wont have any complains and this is the better thing for me never having complains.
Pros
clients compliments
Cons
work sundays
Never working for this company again
Photographer (Former Employee) –  WinnipegSeptember 29, 2014
Terrible experience, you get treated like garbage, no bonuses, no raises. Overworked and underpaid.
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
everything
Picture Me Portrait Studio
Studio Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances,OnJune 9, 2014
I managed one of their studios and found it very rewarding. To be able to photograph family memories and firsts. The only downside to where I was working was I could only have part time staff because we were located in a small town and it was hard to find someone who would take a part time position and keep it.
CPI
Manager (Former Employee) –  newmarketApril 14, 2014
Working for CPI was a great job it was fun and challenging. I loved the mix of creativity and professionalism.
Was good but no support
Walmart portrait studio (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert skJanuary 21, 2014
When I started my manager was really nice she decided to quit I was the only one work district wouldn't help me they didn't even really hire anyone to help me out working 7 days a week
Horrible management, treats employees with overall disrespect
Photographic Services Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Belleville OntarioAugust 28, 2013
You come into work and deal with rowdy children and get paid "a competitive salary" (.25 over minimum wage) constantly harassed by management for not brining in sales and when you do bring in sales you didn't do good enough. Management is so scattered brained and doesn't care about you unless you bring in $1000 in sales on one person. The District Manager expects you to do things she should be doing. They are so understaffed, I was practically working every single day and when I wasn't a manager was there doing nothing and complaining you aren't bringing sales up. I will NEVER return to this job. My district manager didn't even care enough about me to say bye, and I know she was working that day. Do not bring yourself to work here, fast food is better then this.
Pros
you get a discount at sears
Cons
everything else
Love photgraphy.....company policy and practices suck!
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntJune 25, 2013
Loved photography and the rewards of pleased customers, disliked the smile searching, contact calls and the late lunch. You have to be a pushy person to sell the high priced bundles, my training was not done correctly and my DM is rude. They write you up for zero shoot days and can fire you after three strikes....zero tolerance for a low economy......take a different job!
Productive and positive place to work, you have to be good with kids to work here.
Part Time Photographer (Current Employee) –  Aurora, OntarioFebruary 21, 2013
Lots of fun learning new photography skills, patience is required when working with children and busy times in the store.
absentee management + unqualified staff + low quality products = unhappy customers
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2013
CONS
Every day presented new challenges:
-There were a lot of unhappy customers due to poor quality printing from the lab or poor quality photography from the untrained/unqualified staff.

-The most difficult part of the job was trying to help the unhappy customers. Many of them had been ignored/left unresolved by either the manager or previous staff members, and their cases often became long term issues.

-There was no system in place to track and monitor the quality, nor shipping/receiving of the products.

-The management seemed to only care about the sales numbers, rather than the individual clients or the quality of the products.

-The number of tasks assigned for the day was often unrealistic; many of the tasks, such as cold calling customers, are for strictly increasing sales numbers/bookings.

-Tasks that would benefit the productivity and general maintenance of the studio is discouraged in favour of tasks that increase sales, resulting in messy/disorganized studios.

-Co-workers are not necessarily photographers, as the rate of pay is too low for any serious photography professional. Despite the Sears Quality Guarantee, the photography unfortunately reflects this.

-There is a discord when the high expectations of customers are met with the low level of product quality.

PROS
-The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the nice customers and children that come into the studio, and creating their memories through photography.

-Genuine appreciation from the customers that were happy with quality photography.

-I learned a lot of techniques for photographing
  more... groups and maintaining control in the studio.  less
Pros
1 hour lunch and (low season)
Cons
long hours, often without a break (peak season)
Awful company with shockingly terrible treatment of employees!
Associate/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Central Alberta, CanadaOctober 14, 2012
I spent three years in total at this job. All I can think of to begin with is that they need a complete make over.

I took the job thinking that I would be trained properly on how to work the camera and the equipment in the studio, only to learn that there was no real training available from head office. I was thrown in during busy season (December) and expected to run the studio by myself within the first week of working there.
When the manager left the company to pursue another career, I was offered the managerial position WITHOUT a pay raise.

For the two following years, I was never offered a raise, but the work load piled on higher and higher. I am to understand that the raises are given out once per year in April, and even though I was working sometimes 6-7 days in a row, I was still not eligible for a raise, because my 'PRS' or 'sales' weren't high enough.

In December of 2011, I finally got the opportunity to spend some time abroad, so I quit my job with an offer from the current manager to come back if I wanted to.
I came back home after my opportunity came to an end, and resumed my position, after a complicated re-hire.
I spent three weeks without a paycheque because they changed the system in the computer for clocking in and out, and because the DM had forgotten to contact head office about me being a rehire.

The first phone call in which I spoke to her about it, she had the audacity to ask me if I was going to "stick around this time" (after being an employee, working two consecutive Christmas seasons with only myself and the current manager holding the studio afloat,
  more... both of us being the only reliable employees they could find to work).
Meanwhile, I was 'promoted' to full time hours, seeing as we were in need of extra coverage at the studio.

Not two months later, the studio hours were cut, meaning I could no longer be afforded the hours to obtain full time, seeing as the manager was required to have full time. I asked the DM why, and as she explained it to me, she did not see our studio to be "high volume" (even though our goals were chillingly similar to the busiest studio in our district with four employees, as opposed to our two) and that there needn't be more than one employee working per day.

After this happened, the goals were raised and instead of having to shoot 6 poses per session, we now had to incorporate 12 'sellable' poses, meanwhile taking passport photos and delivering printed portraits to previous customers... all with one person a day. I can safely say I've never wished I could clone myself more.
When the equipment broke down or got dirty, it also became the employee's prerogative to fix and/or clean the item. Technical help was based in the United States and would usually be unreachable by telephone (eg. ~30 calls ahead of you etc.) and once reached would be largely unhelpful. In my three years of employment, I had only seen a field tech twice. The camera was loose on its tripod and the lights malfunctioned frequently. The curtains used for floor posing would often get dirty and needed to be taken home to be washed.
The software was dated and unable of fixing blemishes, and the print lab was printing things wrong, more often than not. Customers complained constantly about not having Photoshop and misprints, and only having one employee working per day.
When the studio ran out of things like envelopes and paper and till tape, the DM told us to purchase supplies out of pocket and wait until she would be around to refund us.
On Wednesdays, the manager or a tenured employee would be required to take half of their lunch and spend it on a conference call ("but clock in for it!"), and on Mondays, you were required to take the monetary deposit of cash to the bank... on your lunch hour.

And that was only the tip of the iceberg.
NEVER WORK FOR THIS COMPANY IF YOU VALUE YOUR SELF-WORTH AND BEING RESPECTED!!!!!
Pros
getting to see cute kids on a daily basis, customer relations.
Cons
everything!!!!
A fun job if you enjoy working with people, especially kids
Manager, Portrait & Passport Photographer (Former Employee) –  Leduc, AlbertaOctober 12, 2012
If you like being overworked and underpaid (No raises), you will be stuck in a dead-end position without renumeration or appreciation!!
Pros
if you like free portraits, you will get a portrait package as a christmas gift if you have been with the company for a while!
Cons
taking home laundry to wash without getting paid for it, long hours, no raises, bonuses only paid when team does well (not based on individual ability)
WORST job I have ever had!
Portrait Phtographer (Former Employee) –  NanaimoOctober 11, 2012
This was the absolute, hands down WORST job I have ever held. I am not just compaining because I have a poor work ethic and things did not work out, I have successfully held high level jobs and am a post-secondary graduate who needed an in-between job and thought this might be fun. However, they pay you next to nothing for the ammount of work,dedication and responsibility they expect you to have, no wonder they cycled through 4 employees during the 3 months I was there and always looking for new ones (yes, I could only take 3 months). Always under staffed and lack of training leaves you high and dry in the photography studio on your own ....DO NOT work here
Cons
long days, lots expected of of you for little pay, horrible training
Okay to work at, overwhelming a lot of the time.
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCSeptember 18, 2012
Long days on your feet.
Lots to learn, crammed into short days.
Management is good, for the most part.
Co-workers are friendly.
Hardest part is knowing what to do during a day and how to go about it.
Enjoyable working with people and helping them create memories.
Good place to work nice environment
I managed the sales the recruitments (Former Employee) –  Québec, QCSeptember 9, 2012
A day of work at the photo studio consists of calling the clients to have a better idea of how to plan there session to best suit there needs. Recruiting new costermors in store and finding new ways to do so. Taking seances followed by showing our products and closing the sale. Answering the phone taking passeport photos Making and seperating the orders. conferance calls and making the money deposit once a week.
The hardest part of the job is only one employee works at a time. But the most enjoyable part is the challenges and meeting the clients and getting to know them.
Pros
theres always chances to move up in the company
Cons
you work alone and if there s no clients it can be a long day
Training
Non Violent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJuly 24, 2012
Non violent Crrisis intervention training program, is one of the requirements to accomplish the health care pro
Busy and exciting work environment
Seasonal Photographer/Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONApril 20, 2012
- During the Christmas season, the studio becomes extremely busy and is filled with clients whose ages range from two weeks old to 90 years old.
- Being both a photographer and a salesperson, I had to multitask and juggle both tasks as my co-workers were often busy with other clients.
- After a 30-45 minute photo-session with the clients, I would digitally edit the photos and then present the edited photos, allowing the clients to choose from a variety of designs, sizes, colours, etc.
- What I learned from this position is that time is of the essence. Time management is absolutely essential and deadlines are extremely important (i.e. If one photo session, editing session or sales pitch is prolonged, the appointments for the remaining clients are postponed, resulting in the entire team to fall behind on the scheduled appointments)
- This position has taught me to take initiative and help my co-workers when they required it most.