CPI Corp

CPI Corp Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Never working for this company again
Photographer (Former Employee), WinnipegSeptember 29, 2014
Pros: hour lunches
Cons: everything
Terrible experience, you get treated like garbage, no bonuses, no raises. Overworked and underpaid.
CPI
Manager (Former Employee), newmarketApril 14, 2014
Working for CPI was a great job it was fun and challenging. I loved the mix of creativity and professionalism.
Horrible management, treats employees with overall disrespect
Photographic Services Sales Representative (Former Employee), Belleville OntarioAugust 28, 2013
Pros: you get a discount at sears
Cons: everything else
You come into work and deal with rowdy children and get paid "a competitive salary" (.25 over minimum wage) constantly harassed by management for not brining in sales and when you do bring in sales you didn't do good enough. Management is so scattered brained and doesn't care about you unless you bring in $1000 in sales on one person. The District Manager – more... expects you to do things she should be doing. They are so understaffed, I was practically working every single day and when I wasn't a manager was there doing nothing and complaining you aren't bringing sales up. I will NEVER return to this job. My district manager didn't even care enough about me to say bye, and I know she was working that day. Do not bring yourself to work here, fast food is better then this. – less
Productive and positive place to work, you have to be good with kids to work here.
Part Time Photographer (Current Employee), Aurora, OntarioFebruary 21, 2013
Lots of fun learning new photography skills, patience is required when working with children and busy times in the store.
absentee management + unqualified staff + low quality products = unhappy customers
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2013
Pros: 1 hour lunch and (low season)
Cons: long hours, often without a break (peak season)
CONS
Every day presented new challenges:
-There were a lot of unhappy customers due to poor quality printing from the lab or poor quality photography from the untrained/unqualified staff.

-The most difficult part of the job was trying to help the unhappy customers. Many of them had been ignored/left unresolved by either the manager or previous staff – more... members, and their cases often became long term issues.

-There was no system in place to track and monitor the quality, nor shipping/receiving of the products.

-The management seemed to only care about the sales numbers, rather than the individual clients or the quality of the products.

-The number of tasks assigned for the day was often unrealistic; many of the tasks, such as cold calling customers, are for strictly increasing sales numbers/bookings.

-Tasks that would benefit the productivity and general maintenance of the studio is discouraged in favour of tasks that increase sales, resulting in messy/disorganized studios.

-Co-workers are not necessarily photographers, as the rate of pay is too low for any serious photography professional. Despite the Sears Quality Guarantee, the photography unfortunately reflects this.

-There is a discord when the high expectations of customers are met with the low level of product quality.

PROS
-The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the nice customers and children that come into the studio, and creating their memories through photography.

-Genuine appreciation from the customers that were happy with quality photography.

-I learned a lot of techniques for photographing groups and maintaining control in the studio. – less
Awful company with shockingly terrible treatment of employees!
Associate/Photographer (Former Employee), Central Alberta, CanadaOctober 14, 2012
Pros: getting to see cute kids on a daily basis, customer relations.
Cons: everything!!!!
I spent three years in total at this job. All I can think of to begin with is that they need a complete make over.

I took the job thinking that I would be trained properly on how to work the camera and the equipment in the studio, only to learn that there was no real training available from head office. I was thrown in during busy season (December) – more... and expected to run the studio by myself within the first week of working there.
When the manager left the company to pursue another career, I was offered the managerial position WITHOUT a pay raise.

For the two following years, I was never offered a raise, but the work load piled on higher and higher. I am to understand that the raises are given out once per year in April, and even though I was working sometimes 6-7 days in a row, I was still not eligible for a raise, because my 'PRS' or 'sales' weren't high enough.

In December of 2011, I finally got the opportunity to spend some time abroad, so I quit my job with an offer from the current manager to come back if I wanted to.
I came back home after my opportunity came to an end, and resumed my position, after a complicated re-hire.
I spent three weeks without a paycheque because they changed the system in the computer for clocking in and out, and because the DM had forgotten to contact head office about me being a rehire.

The first phone call in which I spoke to her about it, she had the audacity to ask me if I was going to "stick around this time" (after being an employee, working two consecutive Christmas seasons with only myself and the current manager holding the studio afloat, both of us being the only reliable employees they could find to work).
Meanwhile, I was 'promoted' to full time hours, seeing as we were in need of extra coverage at the studio.

Not two months later, the studio hours were cut, meaning I could no longer be afforded the hours to obtain full time, seeing as the manager was required to have full time. I asked the DM why, and as she explained it to me, she did not see our studio to be "high volume" (even though our goals were chillingly similar to the busiest studio in our district with four employees, as opposed to our two) and that there needn't be more than one employee working per day.

After this happened, the goals were raised and instead of having to shoot 6 poses per session, we now had to incorporate 12 'sellable' poses, meanwhile taking passport photos and delivering printed portraits to previous customers... all with one person a day. I can safely say I've never wished I could clone myself more.
When the equipment broke down or got dirty, it also became the employee's prerogative to fix and/or clean the item. Technical help was based in the United States and would usually be unreachable by telephone (eg. ~30 calls ahead of you etc.) and once reached would be largely unhelpful. In my three years of employment, I had only seen a field tech twice. The camera was loose on its tripod and the lights malfunctioned frequently. The curtains used for floor posing would often get dirty and needed to be taken home to be washed.
The software was dated and unable of fixing blemishes, and the print lab was printing things wrong, more often than not. Customers complained constantly about not having Photoshop and misprints, and only having one employee working per day.
When the studio ran out of things like envelopes and paper and till tape, the DM told us to purchase supplies out of pocket and wait until she would be around to refund us.
On Wednesdays, the manager or a tenured employee would be required to take half of their lunch and spend it on a conference call ("but clock in for it!"), and on Mondays, you were required to take the monetary deposit of cash to the bank... on your lunch hour.

And that was only the tip of the iceberg.
NEVER WORK FOR THIS COMPANY IF YOU VALUE YOUR SELF-WORTH AND BEING RESPECTED!!!!! – less
A fun job if you enjoy working with people, especially kids
Manager, Portrait & Passport Photographer (Former Employee), Leduc, AlbertaOctober 12, 2012
Pros: if you like free portraits, you will get a portrait package as a christmas gift if you have been with the company for a while!
Cons: taking home laundry to wash without getting paid for it, long hours, no raises, bonuses only paid when team does well (not based on individual ability)
If you like being overworked and underpaid (No raises), you will be stuck in a dead-end position without renumeration or appreciation!!
Good place to work nice environment
I managed the sales the recruitments (Former Employee), Québec, QCSeptember 9, 2012
Pros: theres always chances to move up in the company
Cons: you work alone and if there s no clients it can be a long day
A day of work at the photo studio consists of calling the clients to have a better idea of how to plan there session to best suit there needs. Recruiting new costermors in store and finding new ways to do so. Taking seances followed by showing our products and closing the sale. Answering the phone taking passeport photos Making and seperating the orders. – more... conferance calls and making the money deposit once a week.
The hardest part of the job is only one employee works at a time. But the most enjoyable part is the challenges and meeting the clients and getting to know them. – less
Fun Job
Studio Manager (Former Employee), Tell City, INOctober 6, 2014
Pros: fun and creative job
Cons: pay could have been better and could never get a day off
I really loved working here. I have a real passion for photography and I loved being able to put my creativity into my job buy taking families portraits. It was a very rewarding job, but I ended up having to work alot of overtime and getting a day off was IMPOSSIBLE. The pay could have been a little better. Unfortunately, the company actually went under – more... and no longer exists...or so I hear. – less
Photographer
Manager of Portrait Studio (Former Employee), Greenville, MISeptember 6, 2014
Cons: shut down
·As a photographer, I have many different task to accomplish, such as

·Work to create and keep a family environment.

·Use people skills and be patient with children and parents.

· Use my skills and abilities to interact with sales.
Productive and great work environment
Manager/Billing (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 20, 2014
Pros: was able to work with great people with positive attitudes
Cons: i was required to work every holiday except for christmas.
A typical day at work would be having interaction with several clients, answering a high volume of phone calls, following up with past customers and doing reports, inventory and nightly paperwork.

During my time with CPI, I learned many things; management, inventory control-monthly, quarterly and yearly, auditing policies and procedures, ordering and – more... managing supplies, making schedules, training, coaching, evaluating, counseling and corrective actions of employees, bookkeeping, schedule allocation, HR, such as signing employees up for benefits, pay raises, vacation, sick and PTO time.

The management team was great, very professional and had a positive attitude. Everyone was a real team player.

The hardest part of my job was the long hours and working every holiday except for Christmas day. I worked 6-7 days a week which was approximately 70 hours a week. But I enjoyed my work so I didn't mind at all

What I enjoyed most about my job was completing each task and meeting all the deadlines and exceeding company expectations. It felt good knowing that all of my hard work and dedication was recognized and appreciated. I also enjoyed working with each and every one of my associates and the entire management team. – less
fun place to work
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Moreno Valley, CAJuly 7, 2014
customer service, cashiering, photography, sales. Hard part was the equipment used to take photos. Loved taking photos and being a part of lasting memories for customers.
Productive workplace with ample opportunity to grow within company
Studio Manager (Former Employee), Nashua, New HampshireJuly 5, 2014
I learned communication, how to be personable, and leadership skills while working for CPI corp. The hardest part of the job was to try and make every customer happy, however that was also the most enjoyable part of my job. Creating memories to last a family a lifetime is very rewarding.
There out of business for a reason
Store Manager Salaried (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIJune 16, 2014
Pros: fun working with people and kids
Cons: managers are lazy no support, terrible training
They suck and thankfully they are out of Business. They closed down due to poor business strategies.
Company filed bankruptcy
Studio Manager/Photographer (Former Employee), Bristol, TNApril 13, 2014
Company filed bankruptcy due to not meeting their goals. They had some employees who didn't care about their jobs.
THERE FOR SHORT TERM DOING INVENTOR DETAILING
CONTRACT Designer (Former Employee), Solon, OHApril 2, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: there are none
DID INVENTOR DETAILINGS OF STEEL SLITTER. GOT ALONG WITH EVERYONE
Challenging Yet Rewarding Workplace
Studio Manager/ Photographer/ Sales Representative (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVMarch 24, 2014
Pros: the rewarding feeling of meeting a daily sales quota. learning to move in a fast paced environment.
Cons: no health care.
I through face to face interactions produced photographic Images that last a lifetime and I also sold those images. I met the daily and monthly personal and team sales goal. At CPI I learned how to acquisition effectually. I also kept up to date on current studio procedures and policies to be sure compliance was met. I maintained the studio and did – more... a weekly store inventory. I reported to my district manager on a regular basis. – less
great company overall
Photographer (Former Employee), Norman, OKFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: close to home good pay rate as well as benifits
Cons: too much gossip
the days went by fast easy and fun!! I learned people skills, multi-tasking, and training skills.
Fun environment
Studio Manager (Former Employee), Morristown, TNFebruary 14, 2014
By far the best job I ever had. However, the company is no longer available.
Studio Manager
Studio Manager/ Sales Manager /Team lead (Former Employee), CaliforniaJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: working with families and photography
Cons: bad management
I loved working with the families and children. Photography is a great creative outlet. However the company was poorly managed and didn't care about employees. Company went out of business in 2013

1 2 3 4

About CPI Corp

CPI gets the picture. The company, recognized as a longtime leader in portrait photography, operates more than 3,080 photographic – Read more