Covenant Transport Employee Reviews

Used to be a good place to work for before the changes to profit, profit, and profit.
In house personnel (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN16 October 2013
Covenant Transport was a good company to work for initially. However with the changes in the economy the company changed as well. I have worked at Covenant Transport for many years and witnessed the changes from being a company that was not only concerned with its driving staff but in house staff as well to becoming more concerned with profit. Covenant laid off many workers cut many jobs and then cut benefits. Covenant Transport hides under the disguise of being a Christian Company but I can say that it no longer fulfills that statement. Covenant workers are overworked and underpaid.
Pros
In house employees are home daily
Cons
Castastrophic health insurance only
Learning Place
customer service (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN11 January 2016
I started after high school and learned a lot of trucking. Meet a lot of new people. They have a lot of meeting so it is hard for management to help you make a lot of choices on your own. Lots of hard work and long hours.
Wonderful benefits
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN17 June 2015
I had more opportunities to learn different and more challenging skills that my job required. My co-workers were excellent and helped me learn more about different areas in my job. The hardest part of my job was having to work on weekends and holidays.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
worked holidays
Lots of driving
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN31 May 2016
I enjoyed being on the road for the 3 months I worked with this company, I was able to see a lot of the country delivering loads and picking them up
Great support team. Great recovery system for breakdowns ect.
Commercial Driver Trainee (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga Tn.22 March 2012
Overall the orientation was very good. I felt respected the entire time. Unfortunatley the trainee pay was really low.The trainer I had was a canibis smoker. I could smell it on him a few times while he came back to the truck. He was also a lady monger. I forgive the man though. I left because my past exp was not considered and the starting pay after training was really low. The equipment is good and they take good care for it. The dispatchers after a few weeks out there may forget your name. Most dispatchers are ignorant anyway. Great benefits. If I had to do it again, I would have stayed with them. Over all it is a good company with good people to work with. I would say go for it especially if you are a protestant christian. If you are a Catholic Christian take care and keep your religion to yourself, or else.
Pros
great equipment, dedicated, good enviroment at home terminal, com data, trainee ops, otr, qualcom, severe weather updates, no ice driving or chain up, good miles
Cons
low pay, must drive teams, home time can get mixed up, you have to get pushy with dispatchers
Company does understand the drivers side
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Tennessee6 April 2016
Loved to work for this company. They trained me, they gave me a truck and where up to date with technology making it easy for me to deliver payloads safely and accurately even if I had never been to the area.
Pros
Caring Company
Cons
Never let them send you on grehound
Productive and fun workplace
O-T-R Truck Driver - My Covenant Id# 1144342 (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN. 374194 June 2015
DUTIES: Delivering goods from East coastal of Florida to West coastal regions of California in the United States to manufacturers to places of business as a over-the-road driver.
Pros
Great salary.
Cons
Home away from others.
Demanding occupation
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN27 October 2015
Main objective was to deliver the freight in a safe and timely manner, in order to carry out this task, America requires the truck drivers to undergo intensive training and once employed actively in the position to adhere to the stringent (DOT) safety rules which entails driving to the trucks log which prohibits the driver from driving too many hours and thus getting ample sleep and rest.
There was not much interaction with peers and management because I was employed as a solo driver which meant working independently most of the time. The hardest part of the job was probably the time frame that a driver was out on the road which was 3 to weeks at a time. If you married with kids, this was not an ideal situation but when that time came to head back home state, unhook the trailer and drive the truck back to the wife, it made it all worthwhile.
Pros
Got to see America
Cons
Away from home for long periods of time
High-Stress atmosphere with limited positions for interior advancement.
Broker (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN29 November 2013
Typically expected to work 50+ hours per week on a 40hour salary. Benefits were downgraded from Blue Cross Blue Shield to a lower quality Cigna coverage. You must also work weekends.
Pros
Excellent vacation time incentives. Weight Room in House to promote employee health.
Cons
Your job is always in jeopardy due to lower cost temps.
great place to work. not much room to move up
Truck Repair Technician (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN23 September 2012
great place to work,lots of benefits.multiple shifts,learned how to work on truck here,hardest part is switching from one truck to the other.helpful management
Pros
8 or 10 hour shifts
Cons
shorts breaks, expensive health benefits
Recruiting Clerk
Assisting recruiters (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN5 January 2016
Typically day includes meeting drivers and verifying employment and driving history. Very fast paced and goal driven company. The hardest part of the job was having too many drivers in one weeks time. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people. The owner and family are very nice people and allow the employees to have a spiritual meeting every Wednesday at lunch. Great environment to work for.
great company
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  California8 February 2016
covenant was my favorite company, i liked the pay and the conditions, wished the had more loacal opportunities, i reccomend people here all of the time, best company ive worked with
Pros
good pay
Cons
home time
good for students
OTR student team driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN5 August 2013
they rip you off. this is the first company I started with. mandatory teams. they pay 30cpm split between two drivers. miles suck, layover and detention happens a lot with no compensation.
Pros
good trainers
Cons
bad pay.
great company to work for an great pay
Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN23 August 2013
I would recommend people to this company also great travel 48 states an miles are great too you would love the travel around the world with this company
Pros
N/a
Cons
good benifits
Student Based Company
OTR Team Driver (Former Employee) –  TN26 March 2015
Is this company good to get a quick year or two in for experience? Yes. Is this company one you want to retire from? By no means. Covenant Transport started off pretty good with me going through their military program and all. This made pay a lot better. I was making 0.44 cent per mile for half miles as a team driver for my first year. You figure up your pay per mile with hazmat retention, team hazmat pay, mileage pay, and per diem mileage pay. This all added up to what I just put up there. I made an average of $1000 a week. Sometimes more and sometimes less. Got a penny raise per mile after one year of no accidents. Pretty sad raise. My Co driver and I drove as many miles as possible in a week. At times going over 6000 miles a week. Management has changed this year in 2015. A new fleet manager decided to start talking to us with complete disrespect and like we were children. Attitude every day is what we would get. We ended up standing up for ourselves and refused a load for the way we were treated and talked to. We ended up being terminated in Texas and had to find our way to Florida from there. Being terminated by them was the best thing to happen to my Co driver and I. We now are doing business with companies that actually respect drivers and don't treat you like dog feces. If you can avoid this company, I recommend it, unless you can't get employed elsewhere. They say they are Christian and family oriented. It's a play of words. My whole family is Christian, these people are far from it. You deserve better than this. This pay is decent as a team driver for  more... your first year or two. Just remember, you're nothing but a number that they have no problem replacing the next day. Once you're in, you're a number.  less
Pros
First year pay (team only), Always had been home on time, Some "ok" dispatchers (if you're lucky).
Cons
Force dispatch, under staffed, disrespectful management, under valued, easily replaceable, pushed to become a trainer, trainers can't sleep much, you can't pick your loads obviously
Bad company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN4 April 2014
Bad company the lie and do not treat there people good they have no care for your family. Lowest pay. Dirty old equipment.
Pros
Cons
Pay and benefits, they don't care about your family needs
Very religious and fired me after first major accident
Professional OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN20 November 2015
I was not cited by police and no damage to other vehicles or injuries. This accident happened on October 21-22, 2015 in Dallas when there were 500 accidents on the city's poorly drained roads, but I was fired anyway.
Guaranteed to work your tail off
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN5 August 2014
I'm just gonna start rambling:

You are required to have a 4-year degree to get a job on the operations floor at Covenant.

Everyone gets hired through a temp agency at first. When you're offered a job in operations, they promise you that in 3 months you'll be hired on by Covenant, making $36,400 and then $39,000 in 6 months with the potential for quarterly bonuses. So, you do what any young professional would do in said situation and bust your butt for the company so that they'll hire you. Next thing you know, it's been 7 months, and you're still making $12 an hour through Randstad.

It's an okay place to work if you can manage stress well, just typical office politics and bureaucracy. Also, be warned that they are an extremely rightist, Christian company. Prayers will be said at meetings and pizza parties. The phrase "thanks Obama" will be used by the owner, who is (unfortunately) very involved in the business.

Management starts out very encouraging when you are brand new, but after about three weeks, you are thrown to the sharks. The work itself is tough to learn at first but can be enjoyable once you start to get the hang of it.

Most everyone has to stay past 5 to get their work done. This is not somewhere you can get away with clock-punching.

Operations floor employees are also required to work weekends (both Saturday and Sunday) every fifth week (that's right -- 12 straight work days once every month) without any additional pay for the salaried employees.
Pros
good money and benefits once (if!) they hire you; brand new cubicles, carpet, and office chairs; some cool co-workers
Cons
working weekends is required, shady temp-to-hire situation, exhausting work load
GOOD CO.
DISPATCH/DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN19 December 2012
OTR WORK WAS GREAT YOU GET TO SEE THE US. AND CANADA OUT ON THE ROAD FOR 3-8 WEEKS OUT
Pros
benefits are great trucks are good shape
Cons
you will be on the road 3 to 8 weeks out
Not a bad company
Company driver (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TN16 June 2014
This is a decent company. I would work for them again if I had to, but not my first choice
Pros
decent pay, decent benefits
Cons
not great with home-time

2.9