Covenant House Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Work-Life BalancePay & BenefitsJob Security & AdvancementManagementCulture
new peer mentor program
Facilitator/Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 25, 2016
Fun, engaging, a great learning experience and opportunity. A really cool new program that can help a lot of people with similar lived experiences
Supportive enviroment and great team to work with.
Human Resources Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 21, 2015
Covenant House is the largest privately funded agency in the Americas providing shelter, food, immediate crisis care, and an array of other services to homeless and runaway youth.

Great worklife balance and supportive co-workers.
Chanllenging and Fun Workplace
Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC, CanadaOctober 14, 2013
On an avergae day at work I would be responsible for 8 - 10 youth who I work with consistently and who remain under my care while they are residing within the shelter program. They are to 'check-in' with me twice a day. At the check-ins we discuss how their day went. Challenges they may have faced. We discuss job interviews they may have attended, family issues they may be dealing with etc. I also assess their immediate needs and future goals and help them to attain these things which will lead to gaining independence and independent living. The hardest part of this job is when a youth is struggling very badly because we do work with youth with drug and alcohol dependancy and with mental health issues. It is difficult when someone you're working with is struggling but necessary boundaries need to be put in place. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with people all day. The smaller victories and experiencing a youth starting to apply healthy habits to their life is very rewarding.
Pros
going into a job that you love everyday.
Cons
can be emotionally draining sometimes.
Pleasant work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 23, 2013
The only bad thing about my actual job at Covenant House is that it was a one year contract that is coming to an end and there is no position available for me to stay. I learned a lot from all my co-workers and specially from my direct supervisors.
Every day was a little busy with all the volunteer applications and inquiries that we receive but we were able to handle them very well and try to respond all the people that may match our needs, but our positions are limited and we can not bring everyone to volunteer even if we wanted to.
The hardest part of this job was when my direct supervisor left sick and I had to deal with everything for a while; specially during Christmas time which is our busiest time of the year.
The most enjoyable part of working here is the work environment and that you are serving the community.
Pros
flexible hours
great people
Payroll Clerk (Co-op placement) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2013
I learned about people and workplace. No complain nothing overall everything is good.
Pros
lots of free food and event
Cons
it not easy to learn.