Covenant House

Covenant House Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Chanllenging and Fun Workplace
Youth Worker (Former Employee), Vancouver, BC, CanadaOctober 14, 2013
Pros: going into a job that you love everyday.
Cons: can be emotionally draining sometimes.
On an avergae day at work I would be responsible for 8 - 10 youth who I work with consistently and who remain under my care while they are residing within the shelter program. They are to 'check-in' with me twice a day. At the check-ins we discuss how their day went. Challenges they may have faced. We discuss job interviews they may have attended, family – more... issues they may be dealing with etc. I also assess their immediate needs and future goals and help them to attain these things which will lead to gaining independence and independent living. The hardest part of this job is when a youth is struggling very badly because we do work with youth with drug and alcohol dependancy and with mental health issues. It is difficult when someone you're working with is struggling but necessary boundaries need to be put in place. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with people all day. The smaller victories and experiencing a youth starting to apply healthy habits to their life is very rewarding. – less
Pleasant work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
The only bad thing about my actual job at Covenant House is that it was a one year contract that is coming to an end and there is no position available for me to stay. I learned a lot from all my co-workers and specially from my direct supervisors.
Every day was a little busy with all the volunteer applications and inquiries that we receive but we were – more... able to handle them very well and try to respond all the people that may match our needs, but our positions are limited and we can not bring everyone to volunteer even if we wanted to.
The hardest part of this job was when my direct supervisor left sick and I had to deal with everything for a while; specially during Christmas time which is our busiest time of the year.
The most enjoyable part of working here is the work environment and that you are serving the community. – less
great people
Payroll Clerk (Co-op placement) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2013
Pros: lots of free food and event
Cons: it not easy to learn.
I learned about people and workplace. No complain nothing overall everything is good.
Staff Accountant (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 26, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: communication with staff
A truly great place to work with an excellent mission. The staff that I work with are great people who are all committed to the organization.
The orgnization is very hel[ful for the youth that is displaced from their homes.
Residential Advisor (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: the opportunuty to assist the students in need.
Cons: the ability to advance within the organization is limited.
A typical day working at Covenant House can be very rewarding one minute and stress based the next due to the different teens that are being assisted.
The staff attempts to help the students in all areas of their lives including education, medical, housing, health, mental health and job readiness. Unfortunately, some of the residents that reside in – more... the facility have daily activities which include disrespecting the staff, fighting, drug and alcohol usage along with refusal to obey the rules and regulations which have been implemented.
At times there are no outside situations that occur and affect the staff from assisting the residents, then again sometimes there are days where the clients refuse to cooperate and the attempts to help them fail.
The salary does not equate to the work that is being completed, – less
Very interesting!!
Case Manager/Residential Advisor (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 26, 2014
Pros: free lunch
Cons: nothing
Assisted over one hundred homeless youth by finding appropriate housing.
Kept relationships very professional able to assess and help the youth regardless of issues and problems.
Compensation/Benefits were good. They paid for Master or a PhD if you have a Bachelor from a credible college.
They loved other Cultures. They give you a day off and paid for – more... your other independent day or other important date. You need to talk to administration and tell them your need as a collegue. – less
very good
Chef (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 19, 2014
covenant house I work there for ten and a half year clearing cooking servicing food seasoning all kind of meat we get to enjoy time I work 5 day a week every another weekend off it was good so we get layoff in 2011 so I move on with my life.
Working in this Dietary Department was just like being with FAMILY!!!
DIETARY COOK/SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Dayton, OHJune 13, 2014
Pros: benefits
MANAGEMENTS NEEDS TO BE IMPROVED...THIS IS A BIG ISSSUE!!!
A Gaudaruian
Intake Processing Specialist (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJune 5, 2014
Covenant house typical day at work would consist of watching the teens. Also helping them find jobs, with different programs to help the young adults to get on their feet. Checking the young adults in and out of the shelters.
Good job to get your feet in the non profit sector
Outreach Case Manager (Current Employee), Orlando, FLMay 28, 2014
Pros: great if you love direct service, free breakfast, lunch and dinner
Cons: high turnover
This is a good entry level job. There seems to be room to move up. I was only there for a year but I saw a lot of upward mobility. Each one is different so I can only speak of the one I worked at. The people I worked with for the most part loved what they did however they weren't getting rich and there was always a high turnover.
good job for a part time worker ( student) with strong interpersonal skills
Telefundraiser (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 17, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: boredom from sitting behind a desk
*Covenant house (telefundraising) is an ideal part time job for students. Duties include (calling patrons for donations for homeless women in shelters).
*Must be personable and patient
fun atmosphere
GND/DRIVER (Former Employee), Cumberland, mdApril 1, 2014
Pros: lunch
Cons: constant moving
Its primarily a nice place to work, co workers are fun and supportive as well as our clients we takecare of....the hardest part of the job is to be in so many places at the same time. most enjoyable is spending time with our clients
relaxed
To assist clients (Former Employee), Cumberland, MDMarch 6, 2014
Pros: job hours
Cons: financial pay scale
Helping assess elderly clients with daily functions. I learned to be more receptive to disabilities. The management point of view was very passive. The co-workers were great very helpful. Te hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was knowing everyday I was helping another person.
Covenant House is a nice place to work.
Case Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: knowledge/experience, encouraging youth's and helping community.
Cons: the ration of staff to residents on the unit.
Covenant is a good place to gather experience when working with a diverse population. While working at Covenant House I was able to get a better understanding of the needs and hardships faced by LGBTQ youth's as well as youth's dealing with mental health and substance abuse. The most enjoyable part of my job is taking the time out to listen. A lot of – more... times when I meet with a client the conversations are centered around their employment, education or housing goals. Sometimes the youth just needs someone to listen and feel like they are being heard. I am supported by my supervisors as well as my coworkers. We all work together as a team to maintain the stability/structure of the older females unit. The hardest part of my job would be when I work evenings and have to shut the floor down. With the population that I work with no one ever wants to go to their rooms when the floor is closed, which is understandable as they are teenagers. This generally takes a lot of verbal coaching but eventually the youths agree to go inside of their assigned rooms. – less
GREAT POSITION TO LEARN A LOT ABOUT SOCIAL WORK
Youth Advisor (Current Employee), Atlantic City, NJJanuary 12, 2014
Great job to learn the different aspects of working in the social work field.
Amazing and life-changing internship
Intern (Former Employee), Newark, NJJanuary 8, 2014
• Found shelter for homeless youth and expecting mothers.
• Helped organize events for the organization and worked with the outreach program to assist target populations.
Donations to the Covenant House in a fast pace job.
Donations Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 1, 2014
On a daily basis i start by opening the clothing room by myself and cleaning and organizing things that were not put in place when case managers come to the room with out clothing room staff.
Staff of 3 that ran the program hands on. A co worker and supervisor.
Daily donation pick ups
Me and one of my co workers go through bags of donations and determine – more... by ourselves what the residents can utilize and what can be given to the next good will.
Nothing was hard about the job. I like to work at a fast pace job. I enjoyed the way clients looked and felt when they received there donations. Not all the residents that came to the Covenant House can feed or cloth themselves and to see a smile on there face for something i helped with was exciting. – less
Enjoyable place to work
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Trotwood, OHNovember 18, 2013
Pros: residents and co-workers
Cons: manager
Typical day at work consisted of 1-2 halls to clean in nursing home. Each hall had 8 rooms. My manager at this job was very nice. He made our job feel like more than just a day to day job but, sometimes seemed like he didn'treally care about our job. My co-workers became very good friends of mine which I still keep in touch with two of them today. The – more... hardest part of my job was becoming close to the residents and then them passing away. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to see all the residents everyday. – less
Interesting work, very physical
Sous Chef (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLOctober 30, 2013
Pros: helping the community
Cons: no dishwasher
Interesting work, day to day food preparation for 80 residents in a homeless shelter. Eight to ten hour work day. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping the kids. Giving them a good meal. The management company is called food management associates. There is no incentives and the executive chef is a poor manager. The hardest part of the job is – more... dealing with the incompetence of the executive chef and having no one to turn to. – less
Fun co-workers
Executive Secretary - Planned Giving Department (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 14, 2013
Pros: great location
Cons: top management unfair
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the clients

1 2 3