Covenant House

Covenant House Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Average day at work
Prep Cook (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 26, 2014
Pros: great experience in the kitchen
Cons: very strict when it comes to daily duties
typical day at work would basically be the same thing every day.. clean, prep food, cook, serve the food, and clean again. what i had learned while working there was that you can learn a lot of new things in the kitchen, such as how to properly cut an onion or any other type of vegetable. my boss was very strict when it came to things we should of been doing the second we got into the kitchen. remind you it was a program. basically one step before actually working in a real kitchen. so kind of like a trial run for 4 months. but i was not able to complete the program. the hardest part of the job was to follow constant direction from our chef. he would be telling us what to do every 5 seconds.. metaphorically speaking. but that is what it seemed like. the most enjoyable part of the job was the hands on learning i got to experience from the chef. basically how to cook a lot of things that i didn't know how to make. which was a great experience.
Chanllenging and Fun Workplace
Youth Worker (Former Employee), Vancouver, BC, CanadaOctober 14, 2013
Pros: going into a job that you love everyday.
Cons: can be emotionally draining sometimes.
On an avergae day at work I would be responsible for 8 - 10 youth who I work with consistently and who remain under my care while they are residing within the shelter program. They are to 'check-in' with me twice a day. At the check-ins we discuss how their day went. Challenges they may have faced. We discuss job interviews they may have attended, family issues they may be dealing with etc. I also assess their immediate needs and future goals and help them to attain these things which will lead to gaining independence and independent living. The hardest part of this job is when a youth is struggling very badly because we do work with youth with drug and alcohol dependancy and with mental health issues. It is difficult when someone you're working with is struggling but necessary boundaries need to be put in place. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with people all day. The smaller victories and experiencing a youth starting to apply healthy habits to their life is very rewarding.
Pleasant work environment
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 23, 2013
Pros: flexible hours
The only bad thing about my actual job at Covenant House is that it was a one year contract that is coming to an end and there is no position available for me to stay. I learned a lot from all my co-workers and specially from my direct supervisors.
Every day was a little busy with all the volunteer applications and inquiries that we receive but we were able to handle them very well and try to respond all the people that may match our needs, but our positions are limited and we can not bring everyone to volunteer even if we wanted to.
The hardest part of this job was when my direct supervisor left sick and I had to deal with everything for a while; specially during Christmas time which is our busiest time of the year.
The most enjoyable part of working here is the work environment and that you are serving the community.
great people
Payroll Clerk (Co-op placement) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2013
Pros: lots of free food and event
Cons: it not easy to learn.
I learned about people and workplace. No complain nothing overall everything is good.