Salary: $76,763 – 98,288 annually, plus a comprehensive benefits package
Hours: 35 hours/week, Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Position type: Salary, Management
Closing Date: March 8, 2013 or until a suitable applicant is selected
Reporting to the Director of Planning & Development Services, the successful applicant will:
- Establish an economic development vision for the County.
- Pursue projects and opportunities that will provide long term economic sustainability for the County of Grande Prairie.
- Prepare strategic plans and initiate economic development initiatives. To pursue projects and opportunities that will provide long term economic sustainability by identifying and promoting new business or industrial opportunities as well as working with existing ones to promote improvements and expansions.
- Research, write and present related portfolio reports, memos and discussion papers to the Director of Planning & Development and/or Council for feedback and direction as required.
- Maintain active contact with relevant agencies at all levels of government and with the Chamber of Commerce. Participate in regional economic planning activities as required and act as a facilitator and coordinator of interactions between government, business and industry.
- Prepare and monitor an extensive promotional plan as well as prepare press releases in coordination with the Communications Coordinator when acting as a spokesperson to the media for areas of economic development activities.
- Establish and maintain contacts with the local and provincial tourism agencies as well as distributing the relevant information to potential users.
- Provide public relations through a variety of activities such as trade shows and other public functions.
- Attend meetings of various government, community, and business groups as well as submitting reports as required. Must also coordinate a variety of economic development committees.
- Post-secondary degree in one of the following disciplines: Tourism, Marketing, Economics or Recreation.
- Five years related experience.
- Knowledge of formal and informal political processes as well as knowledge in existing government sponsored economic development initiatives and programs.
- Ability to conduct economic, demographic, and market research as well as be able to track the relevant information and organize it into usable data.
- Ensure all work related information is kept confidential as per policy and in accordance with Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Qualified applicants may apply in confidence to:
Human Resources Coordinator
County of Grande Prairie
10001 – 84th Avenue
Clairmont, AB T0H 0W0
(780) 532-9709 (confidential fax)
Email: hr @ countygp.ab.ca
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.