Costi Employee Reviews

Great place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 October 2017
The staff are polite and kind and they support each other in the team they work. I didn't work there for very long and I wish I could have kept the job.
Pros
Excellent Team
Cons
Lack of strong resources to help clients
Great place to work if you have a good manager.
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 October 2017
A great employer to work for with the exception they need to evolve with changing times. Professional Development required for staff, a bit more structure should be in place, performance appraisals should be a must. The union should be made obsolete. Overall however some locations are excellent to work at. They support individuals looking for a new pathway. I loved my job there.
Pros
I have an excellent manager. She's not one of the lifers, innovative, smart and always looking for ways to grow projects.
Cons
If you end up with a bad manager, your life will be difficult as upper management doesnt address any of those issues.
Productive and wonderful to place to work with amazing team work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
In a typical day in my position as a case worker assistant stars with making sure what client i will visit that day and get all the information ready for the visit. Also Throughout the day I completed various administrative duties, including preparing client's reports and maintaining those reports in the agency database as well answering phones, and drafting documents and emails.
Everyday I learn different things, since we always work with different type of clients. The fact that we always work with different clients allows me to learn how to improve my cultural sensitivity skills. Being respectful with my coworkers and be able to communicate well with them and with my clients are very important skills in this type of work.

There is not a hard part on this job. I will say that the challenging part of this job is to work with strict deadlines. Also reducing and managing caseloads are challenging, however with great planning skills and case management skills makes the scenario way different.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to work as a team work, and making our clients to have access to their needed services. I also enjoy working with different people from different cultures and different way of thinking,since I always learn different things .
Pros
Great team work
Cons
walking a lot
Clients are newcomers to Canada and it is fun on a daily basis meeting people from different backgrounds and always learning from them.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT & OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2017
A very fast paced environment and always learning new things from people coming to the center. Always researching on programs offered in Ontario, whether free or paid and at the end of the day you are very resourceful.
I really appreciate the managers of all locations within the organization for their support and team spirit.
Pros
Very good and motivating working environment
Cons
Job security depends mostly on funding from Provincial and Federal Governments
Productive and organized within a healthy environment
Assistant Facilitator (Former Employee) –  York, ON1 September 2017
Each day was different. The management team were very supportive and encouraging. Everyone said good morning and talked to you - they never made it feel like you were alone. The hardest part of the job is that it was very fast paced and since everyday was different, you had to learn new things each day and pick it up really quick. The most enjoyable part was that we hosted job fairs and workshops and went out of the office once in a while.
Pros
Free lunches, team lunch and meetings, meeting lots of people, flexible schedule
Cons
One day can be very long, or lots of overtime hours
Great, Rich in expertise and very update admin
Assistant Support Worker (Former Employee) –  670 College St. Toronto On3 June 2017
It was a great opportunity for me to work with COSTI. Although it was a short time, but I learned many useful job related skills. I wish to get a chance with them again.
Completed Project for COSTI
Data Migration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 April 2017
Building was fairly dilapidated but that is to be expected with non-profit. Overall, my experience was pretty good, I thought everyone there was happy to help as needed. Pretty casual environment overall.
Employment Consultant
Employment Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 January 2017
Good office environment. Poorly managed though. Not good business/organizational people. Nepotism by middle management.
Need to better screen and filter new hires/employees.
Rate of pay could be better. Immigrant services marginal.
Pros
Hours of work.
Cons
Poor/Incompetent management.
I just happen to have a Manger that was mean
Corporate Marketing & Events (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
I feel as a whole it was a nice place to work. Very friendly and eager people work at non profits. They just trusted some managers that were not terrific people.
Not so productive
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Richmondhill19 September 2016
there were times that workers were not as productive, felt like Waste of time and money of taxpayers. Workers did more gossiping than working.
Pros
diverse employees and clients.
Cons
Not effective management
Review of experience with Group Homes and Housing help Centre
Housing Help Worker (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 April 2016
I have demonstrated experience working in Group Homes and Housing Drop-in Centre, and providing support to Case Workers, Housing Workers & other Social Workers in the helping process.
Costi Immigrant Services.
Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 March 2016
I worked as a representative at Costi immigrant services. It was a useful platform for new immigrants to get all the help they needed in order to settle in Canada. Everyone there was very friendly and always ready to help. A lot of different services were provided to new immigrants including children and youth services, employment , family and mental health, language training, skills training,
Pros
Providing services to new people immigrating to Canada
Cons
Longer hours and Unpaid (Volunteer)
Very conducive environment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  1700 Wilson Avenue16 March 2016
Working at this company,meeting different people everyday, assisting with whatever they want. The workers are so friendly and lively. The job is so easy.
Productive, friendly environment
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON11 December 2015
Working and interacting with clients and their children, also running workshops and answering phones. Exceptional co-workers.
Pros
Meeting new people everyday
Costi provided a place and an opportunity for me to serve a global community. My experience was both a teaching and learning experience.
Childcare worker (Former Employee) –  Markham,Richmond Hill, Caledonia27 November 2015
I enjoyed working with about 4 different programs in 4 different locations. E.G.From working with 2 other people,to working with 1 other person; and from working with specific age-groups to mixed age groups;from working with long-term care to short-term Care and from working in one locations at a time to working at alternative locations in a month! And eventually working by myself.
I leant more about my ability to adapt and to be flexible and how much I like Changing my environment to caete new outlooks and a variety of experiences.. In addition to that,I learned that I worked well with others as wel as by myself, I know how to handle people and children from all walks of life in different set-ups with ease. My interpersonal communication skills were sharpened.

. The hardest part of my job was dealing with children's separation anxiety; and learning how to emotionally detatch myself from children, soon after helping them settled in. Because most of these programs are not designed as long term as ordinary Day Cares,due to the nature of the clientelle,alot of stress was involved.. The parents used the programs,as needed,while pursuing other goals or services like L.I.N.C ,ESL programs,Employment, Settlement or Job workshops services and left accordingly. CNC was designed as Care for New Comers in transition.

The most enjoyable part was engaging in activities with children of all ages,alot of whom had not had opportunities to learn and play! Seeing their glee faces while learning to play with different toys and games was fulfilling to me. Watching them laughing AND
  more... opening up into self-expressionsuages,with curiosity,even in their own languages was pure joy. The best part was when they did not want to leave! The parents were always in awe of how much the children felt safe andcomfortable in a fun program provided,even in the shortest possible time spent in the program. The case workers were eager to bring children whose parents were having a hard time with discipline. That gave me an opportunity to challenge myself and to put my extensive work experience with children of all ages to the test.  less
Pros
work time frame: 8:30-4 p.m
Cons
fewer hours in terms of pay
Good Organization, nice work environment and management.
General Counselor (Current Employee) –  North York, ON31 July 2015
Good Non for Profit Agency, nice and considerate management, fixed schedule, unionized organization, which gives it’s employees certain level of protection, unfortunately limitations in professional growth as well as salary increase.
Productive and friendly workplace
Part-time LINC Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 March 2015
I teach a computer-assisted language learning class to 18 adult newcomers. The hardest part of my job is to accommodate teaching the individual needs of the learners.
Pros
good pay, location, facility
Cons
few hours
Great opportunity to learn
Administrator Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2015
Everyday there is a new thing to learn at Costi, they provided a range of opportunities to utilize my transferable skills. I am doing my student placement here and the staff are very supportive.
Always fun
Accounting Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON26 December 2014
The interaction with the students, meeting them where they are at academically, in some cases helping them solve minor private problems, preventing them from achieving academically. Fostering a learning environment. Achieving great results that students report to Director. Having fun, whilst controlling the classroom.

This is for all companies I work for. It is the attitude I bring to the classroom
Fun workplace with great co-worker
intake worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto ,On28 May 2014
• Involved in all aspects of Reception Center, working with refugee families and individuals by doing intake,
• Facilitate RAP orientation sessions to ensure warm welcome and easier settlement of clients
• Provided supportive settlement services to newly arrived immigrants through interpretation services and on-going client support
• Assisted housing counselor in securing permanent accommodation for clients
• Escorted clients to various appointment including healthcare, applications of identification, and financial services
• Conduct fellow up on client assessment while ensuring they are receiving fellow assistant.
• Implement life skill workshop and ensure that the client were able to become an effective members of the community
Pros
free lunches
Cons
A lot of reading