Costi Immigrant Services Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Productive and wonderful to place to work with amazing team work
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
In a typical day in my position as a case worker assistant stars with making sure what client i will visit that day and get all the information ready for the visit. Also Throughout the day I completed various administrative duties, including preparing client's reports and maintaining those reports in the agency database as well answering phones, and drafting documents and emails.
Everyday I learn different things, since we always work with different type of clients. The fact that we always work with different clients allows me to learn how to improve my cultural sensitivity skills. Being respectful with my coworkers and be able to communicate well with them and with my clients are very important skills in this type of work.

There is not a hard part on this job. I will say that the challenging part of this job is to work with strict deadlines. Also reducing and managing caseloads are challenging, however with great planning skills and case management skills makes the scenario way different.

The most enjoyable part of my job is to work as a team work, and making our clients to have access to their needed services. I also enjoy working with different people from different cultures and different way of thinking,since I always learn different things .
Pros
Great team work
Cons
walking a lot
Employment Consultant
Employment Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 January 2017
Good office environment. Poorly managed though. Not good business/organizational people. Nepotism by middle management.
Need to better screen and filter new hires/employees.
Rate of pay could be better. Immigrant services marginal.
Pros
Hours of work.
Cons
Poor/Incompetent management.
I just happen to have a Manger that was mean
Corporate Marketing & Events (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2016
I feel as a whole it was a nice place to work. Very friendly and eager people work at non profits. They just trusted some managers that were not terrific people.
Not so productive
Student Placement (Former Employee) –  Richmondhill19 September 2016
there were times that workers were not as productive, felt like Waste of time and money of taxpayers. Workers did more gossiping than working.
Pros
diverse employees and clients.
Cons
Not effective management
Costi provided a place and an opportunity for me to serve a global community. My experience was both a teaching and learning experience.
Childcare worker (Former Employee) –  Markham,Richmond Hill, Caledonia27 November 2015
I enjoyed working with about 4 different programs in 4 different locations. E.G.From working with 2 other people,to working with 1 other person; and from working with specific age-groups to mixed age groups;from working with long-term care to short-term Care and from working in one locations at a time to working at alternative locations in a month! And eventually working by myself.
I leant more about my ability to adapt and to be flexible and how much I like Changing my environment to caete new outlooks and a variety of experiences.. In addition to that,I learned that I worked well with others as wel as by myself, I know how to handle people and children from all walks of life in different set-ups with ease. My interpersonal communication skills were sharpened.

. The hardest part of my job was dealing with children's separation anxiety; and learning how to emotionally detatch myself from children, soon after helping them settled in. Because most of these programs are not designed as long term as ordinary Day Cares,due to the nature of the clientelle,alot of stress was involved.. The parents used the programs,as needed,while pursuing other goals or services like L.I.N.C ,ESL programs,Employment, Settlement or Job workshops services and left accordingly. CNC was designed as Care for New Comers in transition.

The most enjoyable part was engaging in activities with children of all ages,alot of whom had not had opportunities to learn and play! Seeing their glee faces while learning to play with different toys and games was fulfilling to me. Watching them laughing AND
  more... opening up into self-expressionsuages,with curiosity,even in their own languages was pure joy. The best part was when they did not want to leave! The parents were always in awe of how much the children felt safe andcomfortable in a fun program provided,even in the shortest possible time spent in the program. The case workers were eager to bring children whose parents were having a hard time with discipline. That gave me an opportunity to challenge myself and to put my extensive work experience with children of all ages to the test.  less
Pros
work time frame: 8:30-4 p.m
Cons
fewer hours in terms of pay
Good Organization, nice work environment and management.
General Counselor (Current Employee) –  North York, ON31 July 2015
Good Non for Profit Agency, nice and considerate management, fixed schedule, unionized organization, which gives it’s employees certain level of protection, unfortunately limitations in professional growth as well as salary increase.
Productive and friendly workplace
Part-time LINC Instructor (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 March 2015
I teach a computer-assisted language learning class to 18 adult newcomers. The hardest part of my job is to accommodate teaching the individual needs of the learners.
Pros
good pay, location, facility
Cons
few hours
Always fun
Accounting Instructor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON26 December 2014
The interaction with the students, meeting them where they are at academically, in some cases helping them solve minor private problems, preventing them from achieving academically. Fostering a learning environment. Achieving great results that students report to Director. Having fun, whilst controlling the classroom.

This is for all companies I work for. It is the attitude I bring to the classroom
good place to meet many people and understand immigrants
Office Administration (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2014
*Costi is a ognization for immigrants and refugees to help their settlements and English.

*Explain curriculums via phone, and via person
*Take a assessment test.
*Make an appointment with a counsellor
Pros
Job culture is very good.
Cons
no salary because it's volunteer job
attention for inmigrants services
Housing Worker internership (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2014
house workers
application for subsidize housing
winter warm
volunteer experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 June 2013
I enjoyed the six months that I spent volunteering at Costi immigrant services
Pros
good experience to put on resume
Cons
no cons
Productive workplace characterised with new discoveries
Intern( Administrative Assistant) (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 April 2013
As an intern, I work as administrative assistant helping newcomers with international qualifications assess the variety of opportunities that are available to them. Each day, I respond to prospective clients' enquiries, giving them information about the organization's programs and eligibility criteria, sometimes directing them to other services they can fit into.

I learnt the customer services procedures (answering of calls and forwarding of such to appropriate officer) in relation to different categories of people, workplace hazards & Harassment, my rights and that of others.

My co-workers are a fun to be with. Despite being an African, I don't feel segregated and they are always ready to assist me whenever the need calls for it. In a nutshell, I see them as my family.

The hardest part is the silence I experience especially on days when there were few or no call-in / walk-in clients. However, I spent those periods in gathering information about opportunities that abound for me to help me improve in the discharge of my duties.

The most enjoyable part is seeing satisfaction and approval in the faces of our clients. I'm always happy knowing I have been able to give hope to someone. Also being part of my work agreement with my employer, I find joy in studying online and attending job fairs, seminars & training workshops.
Pros
networking