Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

productive
Front End Assisstant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 November 2017
Company has a very strong management structure. Working in the tire sales department was a big leaning curve for me. I learned a lot on this job which will give me help all my life
A company that cares about their employees
Cashier/Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 November 2017
Typical day at work is essentially very fast paced. There are high expectations because the company values their reputation. The employees are paid better wages and offered benefits that not many other companies offer.
Very fast paced
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 November 2017
It is a fast paced environment where you have to be able to pack groceries quickly and efficiently. If you are not able to do this, then this job might not be for you.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 November 2017
Costco has a good work atmosphere and is a great place for students to work as they are really flexible and also have an CSRP program which allows students to have days off when needed for extra studying time.
amazing team and great opportunities.
Front End Service Clerk and Membership Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC21 November 2017
Working for Costco is great, along with the fact that everyone is a team player. Teamwork is what you can get and what you can see when working for this company. You will be given the opportunity to work in the majority of the departments depending on your experience and skills. But they never limit you, because there are always new opportunities for you to experience. Even if you don't have experience in a department, they'll give you training so that you'll feel confident enough to do it yourself. I was personally given the opportunity to work in many departments. Every day at work a new door is opened for you. Your voice and your concerns will be heard and will be considered. The company always has your back. Whatever the situation may be, you always have your leaders backing you up and helping you every step of the way.
Pros
doors are opened to new opportunities and new challenges
Cons
hours are unpredictable, some shifts are worked outside in harsh weathers
Fun and Safe work environment
Front End Assistant/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 November 2017
Working at Costco was great since it taught me to communicate better with customers and be able to manage busy workflow. The best thing about Costco is my coworkers- they were just great and made every day at work enjoyable.
Best Workplace for students
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB17 November 2017
I learned how to be responsible.
A typical day at work began with greeting customers, encashing and processing their orders, answering their queries, updating them about upcoming promotions and events, towards the end of the day we greet customers and assist with cleaning the store.
Management is very responsible and welcoming to new staff.
Workplace culture is responsible and understanding.
I didnt find anything difficult at work. I had issues with commuting to this place from my house, but that is a very personal problem.
Meeting new people.
Pros
Sunday Premium, Workers Compensation, Cpp, Student Benefits.
Cons
Close to airport, far from university residence.
Retail
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2017
The best part about working at Costco is the health care benefits as well the people you work with. The salary is higher then most retail jobs however its hard to justify it based on the housing market in Toronto. However most of us stay at Costco because of our co-workers but management can be a pain sometimes.
Productive and Hard Working
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON16 November 2017
A typical day at Costco is dealing with member(s) questions, helping members when they need a hand with a large item and stocking the shelves at night time for members to shop from the next morning. I learned how to deal with members from the good and difficult times, I learned how to communicate better with my fellow co workers, and I also learned how to become a team player while working with fellow co-workers as well. The hardest part of the job is probably dealing with not so nice members and learning how to deal and cope with them in a proper manner. The most enjoyable part of the job is stocking at night time and finishing your isle on a strict time limit, in a neat and clean fashion.
Benefits
Cons
Working Every Weekend
Productive workplace that teaches you many skills with great opportunities to advance in the company, with good benefits.
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 November 2017
A typical day at work is fast pace, efficiency is a must. With it being a wholesale you we have members of all sorts coming to buy for business, their own personal use or even recreational and having happy members is a high expectancy at Costco, for employees. We need members satisfied and we do anything to make their visit easy and memorable so that they come back because they pay for our service. Enjoyable part of the job is that what ever department you work in that all employees are helpful to one another. Also from time to time the warehouse gives back to all employees for good work performance and excelling in sales. Hardest part of the job is to prepare for when ROM come to the buildings to make sure we are maintain and trying to excel in Costco standards.

Want to know more about Costco Wholesale?

Ask a question
Great Work Place
Wrapper and Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 November 2017
Costco has a wide variety of jobs that offer great benefits and pension over time. Feels like you're part of a big team. Lots of good people to work with.
Student Summer Job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON10 November 2017
They only allow students to work during the summer months and pay decent hourly wages to students. It allowed me to save up money for the next school year without worrying about working full time while in school.
Pros
higher wages
Cons
Long Hours
Very Fast Paced Environment
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 November 2017
Very fast paced environment. A lot was expected to be done in a short amount of time. Lots of food was wasted instead of being donated to food bank and less fortunate.
Best retailer to work for
Front End Cashier/Representative (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON6 November 2017
Costco Wholesale remains the best retailer to work for. I had felt that I was working for a big retail giant being a strong company with good moral and ethical values and an emphasis on the business customer retention. Costco worldwide with close to to more than 800 business locations . I feel honored and proud to say that I am still part of this big retail giant."
Pros
Cons
Honestly, Nothing bad to say
Great Place
Seasonal Front-End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 November 2017
Company cares about employees. How to advance within the company is very clearly laid out. Hires internally before externally. Great company culture. Would have continued with this company if it was not for school conflicting with ability to do so.
employees make it
Parking Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB2 November 2017
As usual there is more focus in management than on the grunts. And the grunts get shafted. Depending on the department of course it could be better or worse
Fast paced
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 November 2017
This was a very busy environment. A little too demanding sometimes but you learn to adjust yourself to your situations. I didn't get the hours I expected, but took what I could get.
Pros
raises were great
Cons
not enough hours and no life for myself
Great place
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB30 October 2017
Definitely the place you want to work at all your life. It is a place if you want to move up in the company fast and has great benefits. After your 3 months with Costco you receive 3 free Costco cards for you and your family, they never have to pay again.
Pros
Great benefits
Advice to managment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 October 2017
Jim Sinegal was the founder of Costco. He knew that if you kept your employees happy the rest would take care of its self. Since his retirement, this has changed and it shows. The employees are treated militantly now. If you are 1 minute late from your lunch, they record it. After 3 of these there is disciplinary action. WTF? Please get back to treating your employees like the assets they really are. Audit your employees happiness to the level you do everything else in your company. I was a manager for 24 years there. I know what I'm talking about.

Pros
Stability and the benefits are good. With the right Warehouse Manager, this can be a good place to work. Promotions are made from within. So there are managers in high positions that are not suited for the position they're in.

Cons
They will say the words "we understand people work to live not live to work" but in reality this is not the case. The general happiness of the employees is sorely in need of an upgrade. Costco is operated like all the classic American Corporation are. Everything is about the investors and not about the employees. You must "drink the Koolaid" to be promoted. Thinking is not welcome, it's done for you so just do what we say.
Pros
See above
Cons
long hours for Management.
I'm sure it's a great company and workplace for most people.
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2017
I got the job as a part-time morning merchandiser. I've been there a week and I'm already about to quit. Let me explain:

Let me start by saying, it's definitely a great place to work if that's what you want as a career. Costco is very good with advancement within the company. Work hard and you will move up. In fact, most of the management and head office employees are hired internally.

As a new employee I was just kind of used as an extra set of hands. I did not receive any training. They kind of just told me what to stock and what to clean up. After the store opened, they told me to pack carts at front end.

A couple of the employees noticed that I wasn't actually getting trained and went out of their way to show me the ropes as much as they could while doing their job which was awesome. It was just weird how management kind of just threw me into the fire and I didn't get proper training. Not even any safety training.

What I don't like about this company is that they act like they pretty much own you in that they expect you to have "open availability" and therefore are not flexible whatsoever. They refuse to work around other schedules. In fact, you're not going to get hours if you're in school which is why they have that student program. I'm not a big fan of this because most students need to at least have a part time job while they're in school.

The shifts I was given were 6am-10am with the option of staying until 2:30 if I wanted to go the full 8 hours which was nice. I'm not sure that this would've continued on if I stayed.

If you like your weekends,
  more... this job isn't for you because shifts on the weekend are pretty much guaranteed.  less
Pros
Fast-paced, pay
Cons
Physically demanding, No weekends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2