Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in Canada

Learn a lot about :
Customer service
Managing Cash
House keeping skills
Overall a good experience , but it cloud have been better.
Pros
N/A
Cons
You have to work outside, day in day out, sometimes of the year
Excellent wages/benefits; Management structure needs work
Major Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABApril 14, 2016
In the sales department, most of the work was initiative based, which meant you'd have to pace yourself to stay busy if customer help level was low, otherwise most duties would be completed in 0.5-1 hour. Make sure warehouse was "show-time ready" every day, with all product faced and store kept clean, and assisting customers as well as other departments as needed. Management would fluctuate with how much attention was paid to the sales department, typically either non-existent or overly micro-managing, no happy medium. Got to deal with whole spectrum of customers, ranging from tech-savvy to clueless providing full range of customer satisfaction/interaction practice. Business-casual atmosphere was nice but had trouble defining at any given time where exactly it stood. Because of necessities of membership, theft and undesirable customer levels were quite low. Co-Workers were generally semi-educated, with fluctuating levels of morale dependent on policies being enforced at the time. Employees who did more were given more to do and kept to higher standards than others occurring in every department, which was cause for much disruption, due to unfair work loads/expectations. Management team had highly inappropriate behaviour with more attractive employees, causing favoritism and a few scandals which should have led to immediate firings based on company policy but almost always never did. Fairly good all-round camaraderie among employees, with a few exceptions. Hardest part of job was learning to deal with hypocrisy of policy enforcement, and exaggerated neediness of clientele  more... due to average age of customers and degree of self-entitlement. Best part of the job was by far the money and secondarily friendly atmosphere among hourly employees.  less
Pros
Good working hours, particularly weekends;good pay;good benefits;generally nice atmosphere
Cons
VERY hypocritical policies/enforcement, employee harassment, gender-based favoritism
Easy, repetitive and a pleasant place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 12, 2016
Started off as a cashier assistant and my job was to work with the cashier to make the member's transaction as smooth as possible. I also sometimes had to assist with bringing the buggies back from the corrals. My overall time spent at Costco was great but I require daily challenges and change in a job therefore, I had to leave
Pros
Employees are the friendliest people I have ever worked with.
Cons
Hard to get full time.
its good
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 9, 2016
I learned to talk to people professionally . I could talk to people freely which Costco environment taught me this thing.
I am working for flowers so I do work by myself only
I love my job.
Pros
friendly enviornment
Cons
short hours
Active and boisterous workplace.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONApril 7, 2016
Costco is a great stable company to work for with amazing hardworking employees. There is constant work throughout the week and double the amount on weekends, which I thrive on. The management are a bit oppressive but they do try their best to have employment meetings often to better improve our working environment.

It takes a certain type for person to be able to work for a growing company like Costco. There are all types of people you will be dealing with on a day to day basis. I'm grateful for the opportunity of being able to work with different departments and gaining more knowledge of the workforce.

The only downfall is the heavy work labour occasionally due to the larger volume of goods sold. Aside from the hard labour, I take pleasure working with members and providing excellent customer service and I've also grown great professional relationships with the regular members.
Valuable experience gained from working at Costco
Front-end Assistant/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 3, 2016
Working at front-end in Costco Wholesale, allowed me to be gain valuable experience. I learned how to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment, alone and with a team. As well as, better my communication skills that provided me to achieve good relations with everyone, including customers, employees and managers.
Pros
Lenient with time-off requests
Cons
Night shifts
Costco Wholesale is a wonderful company to work for , besides I am always eager to work in Office Administration
Merchandiser/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 3, 2016
I always enjoyed my work and job duties at the store, especially in the peak time of Christmas and Valentines, it was so much enthusiastic to work over such a big firm.
Pros
Optimistic and confident
Cons
quick decision maker
High paced job and being able to assist customer when needed
Front End Attendant (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 3, 2016
Front End Cashier, so on feet for 8 hours a day
Patience with people
No problem with any task that was assigned to me
Miss them terribly also
Being around the people that come thru the store
Pros
The people
Good place to work, just get on the right peoples' good side
Part time worker (Current Employee) –  GTA, ONApril 2, 2016
Many different positions in varied departments, can always pick up extra hours. Very limited full time opportunities.
Pros
Varied mix of employees
Cons
Favouritism
Most challenging retail store
Front end assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 2, 2016
Costco is easily the most challenging retail store to work for, but with that, you also get best pay out of all the retail stores.
Long and Boring Days
Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCMarch 31, 2016
I was employed at Costco as a full time night merchandiser; however, once I started working there I was only provided three shifts a week and some of which did not match my job description at all. I did not mind night merchandising but other jobs where not for me.
Pros
Breaks every two hours
Cons
Gave me less hours then promised
good place to start
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 30, 2016
i learnt a lot thing according to big company, every day iu learn new things and good atmosphere with seniors and coworkers
productive fun work place
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 29, 2016
I learned much about customer service and how to deal well with difficult customers and situations. Had a great team environment. Management was very approachable and understanding.
Pros
Strong team environment
Cons
Angry customers
Night Merchandise Stocker (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCMarch 22, 2016
Pays very well especially for a job of it's simplicity. Take safety precautions very seriously making it feel like a very safe place to work.
Pros
extra pay on sundays
Cons
Strict policys
An Amazing Place To Work At
Permanent Part-Time Stocker (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCMarch 21, 2016
Working there was the best thing i have ever done in my life and theirs room to grow and make a life out of it!! The staff is very friendly, positive energy and working as a team.
Pros
Tuesday group talks
Cons
None really
Overall a wonderfull place to work.
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 17, 2016
Costco has some of the best employers I've had the pleasure working for. As a union setting, co-workers and members of seniority become a tight-knit community always looking out for one another's best interests. Once employed, hard workers can easily be promoted within and often become life-long employees.
Pros
Very friendly, open and understanding atmosphere.
Cons
Working evening shift often meant not being home until 11:00 pm.
Working for Costco
Cook/Server (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 16, 2016
It was a fun amazing job, i got the chance to interact with people every day, always help when I could and people were very nice, my coworkers show initiative to help me produce work faster and better every day. overall working for costo was a great job.
Pros
3 breaks a day and great managment
Cons
Not enough people
Overall Great company to work for
Part time Cashier/Assistant/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Typical day at work depends on department usually involves greeting customers, many regulars that visit to purchase items as well as promoting their products. Through this workplace you will learn the importance of time management, Interpersonal Skill as well as the ability multi tasks. Coworkers are amazing, friendly, and helpful, Hardest part of this job is the unstable scheduling. Overa;; the company is a prime place to work at with both great benefits and Cultural diversity to learn from.
Pros
Easy to balance work and life
Cons
Unstable Schedules
Morning Merchandising
Merchandising Warehouse Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMarch 10, 2016
Great place to work, fun but very strict and disciplined environment. Early start at 5 am. Good character builder. Great environment and job security for college on their CSRP program
it was ok
Seasonal Worker (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 10, 2016
Everyone was very positive and hard working but it was very unorganized in the morning, there was never a set schedule of what you have to do you just pick up whatever you think needs to be done if there are no managers around. all in all it was a positive but rushed environment
Pros
most days granted overtime when asked
Cons
still not enough hours

4.2