Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Great Work Place
Wrapper and Food Preparation (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 November 2017
Costco has a wide variety of jobs that offer great benefits and pension over time. Feels like you're part of a big team. Lots of good people to work with.
Student Summer Job
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON10 November 2017
They only allow students to work during the summer months and pay decent hourly wages to students. It allowed me to save up money for the next school year without worrying about working full time while in school.
Pros
higher wages
Cons
Long Hours
Very Fast Paced Environment
Deli Worker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 November 2017
Very fast paced environment. A lot was expected to be done in a short amount of time. Lots of food was wasted instead of being donated to food bank and less fortunate.
Best retailer to work for
Front End Cashier/Representative (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON6 November 2017
Costco Wholesale remains the best retailer to work for. I had felt that I was working for a big retail giant being a strong company with good moral and ethical values and an emphasis on the business customer retention. Costco worldwide with close to to more than 800 business locations . I feel honored and proud to say that I am still part of this big retail giant."
Pros
Cons
Honestly, Nothing bad to say
Great Place
Seasonal Front-End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 November 2017
Company cares about employees. How to advance within the company is very clearly laid out. Hires internally before externally. Great company culture. Would have continued with this company if it was not for school conflicting with ability to do so.
employees make it
Parking Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB2 November 2017
As usual there is more focus in management than on the grunts. And the grunts get shafted. Depending on the department of course it could be better or worse
Fast paced
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 November 2017
This was a very busy environment. A little too demanding sometimes but you learn to adjust yourself to your situations. I didn't get the hours I expected, but took what I could get.
Pros
raises were great
Cons
not enough hours and no life for myself
Great place
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB30 October 2017
Definitely the place you want to work at all your life. It is a place if you want to move up in the company fast and has great benefits. After your 3 months with Costco you receive 3 free Costco cards for you and your family, they never have to pay again.
Pros
Great benefits
Advice to managment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC30 October 2017
Jim Sinegal was the founder of Costco. He knew that if you kept your employees happy the rest would take care of its self. Since his retirement, this has changed and it shows. The employees are treated militantly now. If you are 1 minute late from your lunch, they record it. After 3 of these there is disciplinary action. WTF? Please get back to treating your employees like the assets they really are. Audit your employees happiness to the level you do everything else in your company. I was a manager for 24 years there. I know what I'm talking about.

Pros
Stability and the benefits are good. With the right Warehouse Manager, this can be a good place to work. Promotions are made from within. So there are managers in high positions that are not suited for the position they're in.

Cons
They will say the words "we understand people work to live not live to work" but in reality this is not the case. The general happiness of the employees is sorely in need of an upgrade. Costco is operated like all the classic American Corporation are. Everything is about the investors and not about the employees. You must "drink the Koolaid" to be promoted. Thinking is not welcome, it's done for you so just do what we say.
Pros
See above
Cons
long hours for Management.
I'm sure it's a great company and workplace for most people.
Morning Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 October 2017
I got the job as a part-time morning merchandiser. I've been there a week and I'm already about to quit. Let me explain:

Let me start by saying, it's definitely a great place to work if that's what you want as a career. Costco is very good with advancement within the company. Work hard and you will move up. In fact, most of the management and head office employees are hired internally.

As a new employee I was just kind of used as an extra set of hands. I did not receive any training. They kind of just told me what to stock and what to clean up. After the store opened, they told me to pack carts at front end.

A couple of the employees noticed that I wasn't actually getting trained and went out of their way to show me the ropes as much as they could while doing their job which was awesome. It was just weird how management kind of just threw me into the fire and I didn't get proper training. Not even any safety training.

What I don't like about this company is that they act like they pretty much own you in that they expect you to have "open availability" and therefore are not flexible whatsoever. They refuse to work around other schedules. In fact, you're not going to get hours if you're in school which is why they have that student program. I'm not a big fan of this because most students need to at least have a part time job while they're in school.

The shifts I was given were 6am-10am with the option of staying until 2:30 if I wanted to go the full 8 hours which was nice. I'm not sure that this would've continued on if I stayed.

If you like your weekends,
  more... this job isn't for you because shifts on the weekend are pretty much guaranteed.  less
Pros
Fast-paced, pay
Cons
Physically demanding, No weekends
fast paced placed to work
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON24 October 2017
it is a fun, and fast-paced place to work with lots to learn and opportunities to grow. there can be high stress moments however your coworkers are always there for you like family
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC17 October 2017
Have been working at Costco for 5 years and really enjoy the experience. Hard workers do get noticed and have great opportunities to advance in your career. great benefits
benefits
Cons
When it comes to Manual labour jobs it is great
Merchandising - Stocker (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON16 October 2017
The pay and job security is top notch when compared to other similar jobs like wal-mart. There are plenty of opportunities to advance, and large pool of jobs (bakery, cashier, meat, forklift driver, cafeteria, tire shop) that are easily accessible should you wish to change
Pros
secure
Cons
physically tiring
Good atmosphere, nice people
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 October 2017
A typical day at work was serving food samples to customers who come by, taking up their concerns, questions, comments and complains. A typical work day was 10 - 12 hours long.
Pros
Socialization
Cons
Long Hours, A lot of standing
It's a good temporary job if you are still in highschool
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 October 2017
I worked in the sampling department, and it wasn't the best experience the breaks were awful but it was an easy job it doesn't require a lot of work but it is eight hours of standing with just one break.
Productive work enviroment
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 October 2017
Working at costco made me realize that always being good to your paid members has its benifits and that learning to work in a fast pace comminuty has its perks
Demonstrator (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 October 2017
enjoy working with lots of customer to be served with. A fast paste work area and lots of fun having doing the job even the salary is not really good and not full time.
Pros
free food taste
Cons
short hours
great place to work
Sales representative/Merchandise (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON2 October 2017
Just an absolutely, great place to work. Great incentives, free membership for self and family. Benefits are fantastic. I wouldn't have left if there was a location close to where I now live.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
not located in owen sound
good experience
Pharmacy Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 September 2017
If you work at Costco you can handle eyverywhere in the world,,,,,,,,it was a very good experience and I have learn a lot, but the hours is so tough especially the managers mostly give the better schedules by seniority of employees.and rates of payments in compare to the volume of the job is so so low.
I worked as the advisor
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 September 2017
I like to work im costco amd it also give me much gcilities butmy schedule don’t match with the job. So, I am looking for a new job. I am very happy and also give my best if you give me an opportunity.
Pros
lunch
Cons
12 hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2