Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Well organized workplace, fun to work
Costumer Service (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 24, 2016
Workdays went by so fast from the structured shifts I was given. Each day I was doing a different task and I loved it. The co-workers were so friendly and so knowledgeable about every product in the store. I learned a lot from one month of working there.
Pros
Flexibility with your shifts
Cons
Cant work more than 8 hour shifts per day
Hard work, but fun.
Food Service Assistant - Food Court (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 23, 2016
I wake up early to get the kitchen ready of the never ending wave of customers. This part of Costco is definitely a faster paced part. No time for stopping. It certainly doesn't get boring there though, anything can happen and my co-workers were very nice and exciting.
Pros
Kept me active, never boring, good supervisor
Cons
A lot of hard work, lots of heavy lifting, never stops, could get too busy at times
Easy, repetitive and a pleasant place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 12, 2016
Started off as a cashier assistant and my job was to work with the cashier to make the member's transaction as smooth as possible. I also sometimes had to assist with bringing the buggies back from the corrals. My overall time spent at Costco was great but I require daily challenges and change in a job therefore, I had to leave
Pros
Employees are the friendliest people I have ever worked with.
Cons
Hard to get full time.
Good student position
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLAugust 29, 2016
8.5 hour shifts
little bit of everything you can do
something different every day
management was good to work with
countless co-workers
very flexible when you needed time off
Pros
good work environment
Cons
long shifts on a hard concrete floor hurts back and feet
Too many Chiefs, not enough indians
Front End (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBJune 1, 2016
You only get ahead by being a brown nosing gossip. Hard work and honesty are not appreciated. Rude members are allowed to do or say anything to employees.

Some coworkers and most of management likes to gossip and spread stuff around.

The only really good thing about Costco and working there is the pay and the benefits.

Job is high stress and management needs a big overhaul, in fact the higher up you go the worse it is (for the most part). Most of the managers have no people skills.

Praise is rarely given, but mistakes are quick to be pointed out.

Saint John warehouse is full of sexism towards both men and women.

There are too many husband/wife, BF/GF couples and relatives working at this location and favouritism shows.

Work is very physical and requires lots of standing but overall not bad.

Work/life balance isn't great, good hours given to favourite employees.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
see review, lots of these...
Great team enviroment
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCAugust 8, 2016
Extremely busy environment. Co-workers are friendly. Management supports staff. Communication could improve in regards to management roles and job functions within the warehouse.
Pros
schedule posted for 3 weeks
Cons
schedule always fluctuating
Valuable experience gained from working at Costco
Front-end Assistant/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 3, 2016
Working at front-end in Costco Wholesale, allowed me to be gain valuable experience. I learned how to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment, alone and with a team. As well as, better my communication skills that provided me to achieve good relations with everyone, including customers, employees and managers.
Pros
Lenient with time-off requests
Cons
Night shifts
Fabulous training, benefits and safe work environment
Lead of the Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 12, 2016
I learned numerous things working with the company for 7 years. Maintaining the cleanliness of the building, equipment while working in a team atmosphere.
Pros
Great benefits and pay
Cons
The long commute
Great people, safe environment, warm co-workers, healthy work.
Merchandising/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCAugust 18, 2016
Really enjoy the people I work with. Costco is a family oriented business which balances lives needs. Great choice for families and good people who want to work safe and be healthy doing it.
Unprofessional
Pharmacy Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 12, 2016
Fast paced pharmacy , constantly short staffed. New comers so unwelcome. High work pressure, bossy pharmacy techs, unfriendly, always passing snarky remarks. Very unprofessional in a professional job site. :)
Pros
Pay on time
Cons
Unprofessional job site
Working with Costco team was one of the most enjoyble and productive jobs I have ever had. Appreciate this opportunity very much.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 13, 2016
A usual shift at Costco Pharmacy would start with greeting my team. In the pharmacy everyone is smiling even when we are very busy, and that used to make our hardest day still fun. I have learned how to mix compound, receive and send faxes, type all kind of prescriptions including hospital orders. I have also learned how professionally communicate with doctors and their office team. One of the hardest parts of working for Costco was the very high volume of phone calls I used to answer everyday. However, having supportive and organized team is always a key to a successful work day. And for the most enjoyable part of the day, I would say, was typing all prescriptions and leave the pharmacy knowing that the morning team will start fresh with no need to worry about undone prescriptions.
Pros
Free lunchs. And free turkey for Thanksgiving
Cons
Extremely busy all the time
bad management at this location
Loss Prevention Investigator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 22, 2016
not very enjoyable no movement and no big support from any managers. good for people who like an easy unproductive job was let go for doing my job. managers know nothing about loss prevention
Pros
free samples
Overall a wonderfull place to work.
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 17, 2016
Costco has some of the best employers I've had the pleasure working for. As a union setting, co-workers and members of seniority become a tight-knit community always looking out for one another's best interests. Once employed, hard workers can easily be promoted within and often become life-long employees.
Pros
Very friendly, open and understanding atmosphere.
Cons
Working evening shift often meant not being home until 11:00 pm.
Best merchandiser and wholesale store.
Stcokist (Current Employee) –  Courtenay, BCMay 22, 2016
They are the best in their products and their service, they are dynamic in nature and well organised. Moreover they are having employee discounts and breaks. The management is cooperative and the work ethics is friendly.
Pros
breaks and meals sometimes
Cons
Negligible
Overall Great company to work for
Part time Cashier/Assistant/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 11, 2016
Typical day at work depends on department usually involves greeting customers, many regulars that visit to purchase items as well as promoting their products. Through this workplace you will learn the importance of time management, Interpersonal Skill as well as the ability multi tasks. Coworkers are amazing, friendly, and helpful, Hardest part of this job is the unstable scheduling. Overa;; the company is a prime place to work at with both great benefits and Cultural diversity to learn from.
Pros
Easy to balance work and life
Cons
Unstable Schedules
costco was fun but there was not enough hours.
Sampler (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABJuly 7, 2016
I loved giving out samples at COSTCO. While working there I consistently beat sales targets. Unfortunately vendor cancelling demos resulted in a lack of hours.
Pros
Great variety of lunches, enjoyable work
Cons
lack of hours
very good company to work for
Tire Technician (Current Employee) –  East Gwillimbury, ONSeptember 8, 2016
costco has a great environment for employees and members, great open door policy can talk about work related or personal problems etc. management is great very understanding and listen to what you have to say.
Amazing workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 14, 2016
Amazing environment. I enjoy working there. You can schedule any day(s) off as long as you are available. Sometime you have to rush to do your duties, but this is part of this job.
Pros
You can schedule any day
Cons
Can't work full time
Fun place with good people and management that cares
Night Merch (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCMay 1, 2016
Management listens
Typical fixed hours
Good long term benefits
Reviews benefits/wage every year
some co-workers are good, some are boring and rude
You can try other positions within company to not feel redundant
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
can be boring after a while
Enriching, overall good working conditions, but management issues and work/life balance not good
Service clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 3, 2016
It was an enriching experience, but the warehouse where I worked for clearly needs a more standardized management type. What I mean is (for example) that you could get different ways of seeing and applying the same procedures depending on who (among assistant-managers and supervisors) you would addressed the question or concern. It was a fun workplace at the beginning, but it is an energy consuming atmosphere, both in the psychological and the physical sense. The benefits (assurances, paid membership cards, higher salary than the minimum, etc.) were satisfying. Anyway, I am grateful for what I learned and the challenges that allowed me to improve my skills such as productivity, communication and autonomy.
Pros
well paid for the education required, students can work only during summer
Cons
working most of the times on week-ends, hard to settle vacations

4.2