Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews in Canada

Very busy, repetitive, tedious at times
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKAugust 10, 2016
Costco was a pretty good place to work, if you don't mind dealing with a lot of people all day, every day. It is constantly very busy.

I worked as a cashier, dealing directly with customers. This involved scanning and packing items generally, but also putting away returns, folding clothes, mopping, and facing aisles. It depends on how busy it is during various times of the day.

Most of the managers were pretty pleasant, though there is an open-door policy in place if there are any issues. There were opportunities for advancement occasionally as well.
Pros
$1.50 hotdogs
Cons
Standing on concrete all day, lots of people
productive and cooperative with the crews goals at work
Cashier/Kitchen crew (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONJuly 19, 2016
a busy day at work where I learn to be initiative with the work that the crew cannot handle. I meet assigned task on time with cooperation with other coworkers. My coworkers are in need of leadership where I sometime take over and the hardest part of the job is where coworkers does not cooperate when its busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is when preparing the menu to serve because its quiet at that time.
Great corporate culture and opportunities for advancement
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJuly 15, 2016
A typical day at work involves ensuring the cleanliness of the clothing area and interacting with coworkers to delegate responsibilities. I have learned the importance and effectiveness of teamwork in achieving goals. The management is very accommodating to the employees' needs and the coworkers very cooperative in and out of work. The hardest part of the job is the repetitive and unchallenging work while the most enjoyable part of the job is the employees and corporate culture.
Pros
Great corporate culture, opportunities for advancement, pay structure, job security
Cons
Repetitive unchallenging work
Good Overall
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 6, 2016
Very good job for students and people who are willing to learn about customer service and marketing and want to advance in the company's hierarchy. If you are someone with a strong character and don't like to be told what to do, Costco is not the right place for you. Same as any other jobs, management could be better but also look forward to excel in whatever it is that you do.
Pros
Great benefits, adjustable schedule.
Cons
work on weekends, pressure all the time, fast pace work, have to be friendly with people.
Costco - A fun place to work
Merchandiser Employee (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONJune 17, 2016
Employees are extremely nice and helpful as well as the managers.
Learn how to interact with customers, understand their needs.
The shift includes stock early in the morning, 4-9 am or late at night, 5-11pm. During store hours you assist customers, pack carts, or clean aisles. The number of customers may seem intimidating, but it is not after a days work there.
Pros
cheap lunch, good pay
Cons
barely any shifts
Working at costco was a great experience
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 2, 2016
The work atmosphere was great, and the coworkers as well as management are all nice people, adding to the enjoyable atmosphere when working there. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the enthusiasm of the employees have at times, as constantly talking to the hundreds of customers that pass through is very tiring, but at the same time, is the most enjoyable part of the job as well. Being able to communicate to all kinds of different people i otherwise would not have the chance to is something i greatly appreciate.
Great place to work, fun inviting atmosphere
Sales Auditor, Expense back up (Current Employee) –  Red Deer County, ABMay 27, 2016
Costco is a great place to work with good advancement, they have competitive salary and benefits, however it is difficult to maintain a full time position working in administration at Costco. I have learned how to work in an office environment, how to pay bills, audit sales, and work in the vault. My co workers are very pleasant people, the hardest part of my job is having to help out on the front end and pack groceries. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to fix mistakes and solve problems.
Pros
great hours
Amazing
Fryer Cook/ server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
Working for Costco Calgary was an amazing job such culture amazing people and over just one big family everyone was so kind friendly even the odd times people would get lunch for every one, i worked with an amazing group of ladies in the kitchen and had fun every day of work the management was so great always had such great laughs with my boss, a typical day would be fast pace and crazy such is fast food, hardest part of this job was the customers some people just got so impatient and it was hard to deal with at first but overcoming that wasn't so hard to do putting on a smile can make just about anybodies day, sadly only a temporary job
Pros
Amazing people
hard work but lots of fun
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJune 11, 2016
I love my job. I look forward to seeing most of the people I work with every morning. We work hard but have a lot of fun. I have been working there for almost 16 years, but as time goes on, sometimes changes are made, and when you are use to many years of the same thing, sometimes change is a little harder to take.
Pros
great benefits, great bonuses, great hourly wage, free lunches quite often
Cons
Not alot of consistency.
Serious workplace with a fun environment that makes working enjoyable
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJune 2, 2016
Customer satisfaction is huge and I feel Costco has helped me develop that skill to use on the job, and my daily life. The hardest part of the job would be the restocking at night but that is also the most enjoyable part. Costco teaches efficient work and time management, as well as verbal form of communication between members and employees
Productive workplace with many incentives
Stocker/Front End Assistant/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 1, 2016
Costco is a great place to work. I learned a lot of skills, the biggest of them being attention to detail. However, due to seasonal contracts it was hard to advance within the company. One of the hardest parts of the job is to work around customers as the store is big and very well known.
Pros
Great wage and benefits
fun work environment
Merchandiser/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 29, 2016
packed with members and always a mess on the tables. i learned you need to work fast while helping members. management was very helpful when needed. helping the members find the things they need even if it isn't in clothing. i got to interact with new people everyday and got help from my co-workers when needed.
Pros
you get ice cream/ food
Cons
have to park all the way in the back
days went by quickly, always had something to do
Cashier Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSApril 27, 2016
I would engage in many different types of conversations while unpacking and repacking people's cart with their items. The management made sure you had your breaks at the right times and made sure you were always up to date with the security and health information. The hardest part of the job would have to be, standing on your feet for 8+ hours at a time and dealing with 'difficult' customers. I really enjoy the people I work with and the different stories they share.
Pros
pay is above minimum wage
Cons
hours are not flexbile
Repetitive, but easy
Cashier and Member Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  531August 23, 2016
Easiest job I have ever had.
If you get in, you are very lucky.
They pay their employees really well and give great benefits - not just to full time employees, but part time as well. They have a great work program for employees attending college or university.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, Easy
Cons
Same thing every day
Hard work, but fun.
Food Service Assistant - Food Court (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBApril 23, 2016
I wake up early to get the kitchen ready of the never ending wave of customers. This part of Costco is definitely a faster paced part. No time for stopping. It certainly doesn't get boring there though, anything can happen and my co-workers were very nice and exciting.
Pros
Kept me active, never boring, good supervisor
Cons
A lot of hard work, lots of heavy lifting, never stops, could get too busy at times
Easy going workplace. Lots of interaction between Coworkers and Customers.
Meat Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCAugust 19, 2016
Working in the meat department once you get there , you start working. Its a enjoyable work place because you're not isolated and surrounded by customers and co workers.
Pros
$4 dollar increase on wage on Sunday.
Cons
A lot of bending over while refilling merchandise.
Well organized workplace, fun to work
Costumer Service (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 24, 2016
Workdays went by so fast from the structured shifts I was given. Each day I was doing a different task and I loved it. The co-workers were so friendly and so knowledgeable about every product in the store. I learned a lot from one month of working there.
Pros
Flexibility with your shifts
Cons
Cant work more than 8 hour shifts per day
Salary is good, but work is hectic.
Food Demenstrator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 20, 2016
A typical day of work would be first of all, checking with PWD Manager, getting all the stuff need for the demonstration, setting up the table for the demonstration, following clean procedures, wearing gloves, apron, hair net, and uniform, marking down information on sheets, and talking about products.
Easy, repetitive and a pleasant place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCApril 12, 2016
Started off as a cashier assistant and my job was to work with the cashier to make the member's transaction as smooth as possible. I also sometimes had to assist with bringing the buggies back from the corrals. My overall time spent at Costco was great but I require daily challenges and change in a job therefore, I had to leave
Pros
Employees are the friendliest people I have ever worked with.
Cons
Hard to get full time.
Good hours, good people, good work
Cashier Assistant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCJuly 7, 2016
I worked at Costco for the 2015/2016 winter season. My supervisors were all very nice and helpful towards me, ensuring that I knew what to do, and providing my with constructive criticism when needed in a friendly manner. My hours were flexible, and my pay was very good.
Pros
Flexible hours

4.2