Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Fast paced work environment, co-workers and senior professionals are very helpful and knowledgable.
MARKETING ASSOCIATE (INTERNSHIP) (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 January 2017
I usually working on weekends due to my classes and other activities on weekdays. I started my day at the membership counter, attended department meetings and performing all over the week to complete the targets. Best part was the customer interaction. I am now more punctual, a good listener, and excellent problem solver.
Pros
Benefits and attractive salary
Cons
located outside the city
Great Company
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS13 December 2016
I work very hard at Costco, I start early in the morning and my job is extremely physical and fast-paced. I have really amazing management, and they are very hard workers as well. They work right along side of us each day and they are great people, who lead by example.

The best part of each day is taking pride in a job well done and being appreciated for doing such hard work.

The hardest part of the day is the extremely physical demands of being a merchandiser.
Fast Paced Work Environment
Photo Centre Manager / Asst Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 December 2016
Working in a warehouse environment is fast paced, which I thrive off of, nothing better than always being on the go while you are helping others. Having a company with long term employees has pros and cons, it speaks volumes for the company when they are able to keep long term employees, their wages and benefits are a huge part of that, however many of those individuals have developed a sense of entitled which can be challenging at times to coop with. Being able to listen and understand how to balance multiple personalities is one of the greatest challenges as a manager.
Pros
Free Samples
Cons
Consistency
Fast paced and customer (member) oriented work environment.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON15 December 2016
A typical day at Costco begins at 5am.The first 3 to 4 hours are very labour intensive.The floors have to be swept to remove all wood pieces from the floor that have been left behind from the forklifts moving skids of materials onto the floors all night.I probably walk 5 miles accomplishing this.It was tough at first,but now it has become routine with the benefit of feeling healthier as I have lost 15 lbs.The management is very appreciative of our hard work in getting the store ready for opening every morning and constantly thanks employees for doing a good job.Once the store is open I enjoy helping our customers locate items in this massive store that they cannot locate.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
working every weekend
Fast pace but fun work place
Assistant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC15 January 2017
Although the beat you have to follow is very fast, it's easy to fall into a rhythm during a shift. The coworkers are all incredibly nice and helpful, while the management can seem a bit frigid and occasionally biased. Would not recommend if you're a student as the hours aren't incredibly flexible.
Pros
Free Membership Card, very good salary, friendly coworkers
Cons
Long hours, cold management
fun environment where hard work and dedication are recognized
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2017
early mornings for stockers are easy to get used to, the workers and management are helpful and fair. good hard work was always recognized and praised. fast paced work means that as you are rarely working in the vicinity of others it is hard to get to know others on a personal level.
Pros
good and fair management, flexible shifts.
Cons
early mornings, short shifts
Productive and fun. Well established and organized.
Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 January 2017
I loved the employment opportunity I had with Costco as a Seasonal staff member from Oct. '16 - Dec. '16.
Management has an open door policy and they are always approachable. I love working with the public. I would return there without doubt if I were given the opportunity. (Kitchener Store)
Pros
Staff, Management
Cons
Heavy lifting for long stretches of time.
Productive, Energetic
Customer Service Attendant/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB15 November 2016
Costco Canada Liquor was a very enjoyable place to work. Customers coming in and asking for recommendations for wine/ spirits made me become more interested in wine and spirits. Before working at the liquor store I knew nothing about wines and spirits; my time here helped me expand my knowledge on the industry.
Pros
Fun Inventory, Pizza Party
Amazing place to work for.
Front End Packer/Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS4 January 2017
Costco was an amazing place to work for and I would recommend it to anybody. They have amazing pay raise opportunities, they pay 100 dollars a year for shoe vouchers, give away free turkeys at Christmas and give steady raises based on hours worked. They treat their employees well and are extremely fair to long-term employees regarding time off. An employee can earn up to 5 weeks vacation, depending on how long they have been working for the company, and make up to 25.00 an hour without becoming a manager. Costco also gives its employees a free executive membership, which lets them earn back on their purchases at the warehouse. There is also a yearly bonus for long-term employees.
Pros
Amazing staff, discounts, pay raises, yearly bonus
Cons
Too much gossip between managers and co workers, not enough managerial boundaries
good place but not enough training
Meat Counter/Meat Wrapper (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 December 2016
I enjoyed my time at Costco but I felt like I did not receive enough training. when I did make a mistake I explained that I needed more training but never got it.

I felt it was very "clicky" with the groups of people that worked there.
I was very fortunate with the people that I had worked with.
Pros
pay was decent
Cons
not enough training
Faced paced place
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 January 2017
I was seasonal employee. I worked whatever they asked and whatever hours were assigned to me. I was on time and did productive work. Co-workers are very friendly and managers were satisfied with my work.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
No one says that I am no longer working there, just didn't have my schedule and didn't go to work anymore
Great Enviroment
Front End Assistant and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 November 2016
Due to the fact that I was seasonal and tried to stay on I had a unpleasant experience when they only kept people who had family or friends already working there. I felt they were unfair especially since some of the people they kept had made big mistakes and had warning given to them.
Pros
Good Pay, Lots of Hours
Cons
Unfair management
Costco is a very good place to work
Merchandiser & Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 January 2017
I enjoy most facets of my job with Costco.

A typical day includes physical labor as I work as an early morning (5:00am) merchandiser. This means that I am one of the first people in every day and am responsible for getting the business ready for open.

I have a management team that makes me feel part of a team. The majority of management I work with push me to do my best and promote my personal success. My co-workers are the best part of my job. They are genuinely good people who make my day even better.

The hardest part of my job can sometimes be the fast pace required on a daily basis. While most days are better than others, some require a great face lift on the way merchandise is presented due to the influx of new product or general wishes of management.
Pros
Free membership, benefits
Cons
Fast pace (occasionally), missed communication opportunities
Sample food or other items from Costco Pwd on unpaid breakes only
Bakery/SSOP's (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON10 January 2017
* a typical day at work
- Well it's hard work it pays of at the end of the day when it is said and done

* what you learned
- To work around the others to avoid interference with your cleaning and their work and be collaborative team player with other duties responsibilities and etc...

* management
- Very well run place, looking after their employees needs as well as their customers

* your co-workers
- Most of your co-workers are helpful and understanding people are great to work with

* the hardest part of the job
- At times removing stubborn hardened flour as well as stains from the ovens and racks

* the most enjoyable part of the job
- When the work gets done and the smiles you get from the bakery manager and the management. Also sometimes when you assist customers needs as well
Pros
Very good pay. sometimes in the cafeteria free buffets
Cons
Seasonal
Fast paced work environment, and sanitary procedures
Meat Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
A typical day at Costco would be making hamburger consistently, and making sure our services run smooth. The thing I enjoy most about this job is the communication between associates, and learning new and more productive ways to clean, these aspects are important in keeping the meat department running efficiently. I know it was nothing personal, but the management had a tendency to be hard on the staff, and their work. The hardest part of this job would likely be the weakly case cleaning.( It's hard on the back) I have thoroughly enjoyed all of my co-workers, they have taught me the ins and outs of the meat department, and they are a very friendly group individuals..
Pros
Free Coffee and Occasional free food in the lunch room
Cons
Cold environment, work with potentially dangerous chemical
Costco
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  rockyview county,Alberta28 November 2016
Typical day starts later in the afternoon and goes until 11:00 due to I was doing night stocking and making all the produce look full before the next day. Management was awesome as long and you were honest with them and gave them enough notice they would work with you to give you days off
Pros
everyone took coffee breaks at the same time
Costco Wholesale - Very busy, fast pace, and successful business
Front End Assistant and Merchandise (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON8 September 2016
- must be very attentive and ready to go always
- learned many front end positions and tasks, as well as merchandise
- managers have many employees to watch over and direct
- co-workers are happy for the most part
- hardest part of the job is the fast pace and constant flow of members
- most enjoyable part is member satisfaction and marketing programs to members
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Always busy, no time to really catch a breath
Work was fast paced but manageable with the skills I hold.
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC13 December 2016
We would be given various tasks on which we would use our skills given to us through training. Work side by side with our co-workers and management to deliver customers with a pleasant experience from the best of our abilities.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Customer Harassment
Productive and good workplace environment
Bilingual Contact Centre Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 January 2017
It was a very good first experience in Call centre but what I liked is the similarity with the administrative job. Day at work was very busy, no time to answer private calls; co-workers were very friendly; job itself very demanding in terms of patience and accuracy.
Productive, Effort, Time Management
Morning Stocker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2016
Stocking early in the morning & installing tires when the store is open. I have learned to manage my time & help my co-workers when they fall behind. management is easy to communicate with & there is always someone available to handle any issues. The job is very versatile, & I have been in many departments. I have met many people & have enjoyed working along side many of them.

4.2