Costco Wholesale

Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

top employers!
Front/End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2016
a typical day at work is fastpaced cashing and packing with the store jam packed everyday there is no lazying around. co workers are diverse, managers are fun.
hardest part of the job: HEAVY. to lift heavy things in fastpaced motions would deteriorate your body, but you can just apply to other departments from within. working in the front end in night shifts is having to push carts outside in a middle of a snow blizzard, you have no choice.

most enjoyable part is there's no room for boredom, free samples two fifteen minute paid coffeebreak in an eight hour shift. be one of the first people to know what's on sale for the next week.

I was a fulltime student when i worked in costco and they never allow a less than 5 shifts a week for highschool or upgrading students. they only have student particular shifts for college/university students.

once you've been hired the greater the probability to be rehired again.

Seniority culture is both a pro and a con.
Pros
seniority, benefits, good pay, many inside opportunities, opportunity to grow, could become a lifetime career
Cons
heavy, seniority
Too many Chiefs, not enough indians
Front End (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB1 June 2016
You only get ahead by being a brown nosing gossip. Hard work and honesty are not appreciated. Rude members are allowed to do or say anything to employees.

Some coworkers and most of management likes to gossip and spread stuff around.

The only really good thing about Costco and working there is the pay and the benefits.

Job is high stress and management needs a big overhaul, in fact the higher up you go the worse it is (for the most part). Most of the managers have no people skills.

Praise is rarely given, but mistakes are quick to be pointed out.

Saint John warehouse is full of sexism towards both men and women.

There are too many husband/wife, BF/GF couples and relatives working at this location and favouritism shows.

Work is very physical and requires lots of standing but overall not bad.

Work/life balance isn't great, good hours given to favourite employees.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
see review, lots of these...
Great corporate culture and opportunities for advancement
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 July 2016
A typical day at work involves ensuring the cleanliness of the clothing area and interacting with coworkers to delegate responsibilities. I have learned the importance and effectiveness of teamwork in achieving goals. The management is very accommodating to the employees' needs and the coworkers very cooperative in and out of work. The hardest part of the job is the repetitive and unchallenging work while the most enjoyable part of the job is the employees and corporate culture.
Pros
Great corporate culture, opportunities for advancement, pay structure, job security
Cons
Repetitive unchallenging work
Great place to work, fun inviting atmosphere
Sales Auditor, Expense back up (Current Employee) –  Red Deer County, AB27 May 2016
Costco is a great place to work with good advancement, they have competitive salary and benefits, however it is difficult to maintain a full time position working in administration at Costco. I have learned how to work in an office environment, how to pay bills, audit sales, and work in the vault. My co workers are very pleasant people, the hardest part of my job is having to help out on the front end and pack groceries. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to fix mistakes and solve problems.
Pros
great hours
Amazing
Fryer Cook/ server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2016
Working for Costco Calgary was an amazing job such culture amazing people and over just one big family everyone was so kind friendly even the odd times people would get lunch for every one, i worked with an amazing group of ladies in the kitchen and had fun every day of work the management was so great always had such great laughs with my boss, a typical day would be fast pace and crazy such is fast food, hardest part of this job was the customers some people just got so impatient and it was hard to deal with at first but overcoming that wasn't so hard to do putting on a smile can make just about anybodies day, sadly only a temporary job
Pros
Amazing people
Good Overall
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 July 2016
Very good job for students and people who are willing to learn about customer service and marketing and want to advance in the company's hierarchy. If you are someone with a strong character and don't like to be told what to do, Costco is not the right place for you. Same as any other jobs, management could be better but also look forward to excel in whatever it is that you do.
Pros
Great benefits, adjustable schedule.
Cons
work on weekends, pressure all the time, fast pace work, have to be friendly with people.
Enriching, overall good working conditions, but management issues and work/life balance not good
Service clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 May 2016
It was an enriching experience, but the warehouse where I worked for clearly needs a more standardized management type. What I mean is (for example) that you could get different ways of seeing and applying the same procedures depending on who (among assistant-managers and supervisors) you would addressed the question or concern. It was a fun workplace at the beginning, but it is an energy consuming atmosphere, both in the psychological and the physical sense. The benefits (assurances, paid membership cards, higher salary than the minimum, etc.) were satisfying. Anyway, I am grateful for what I learned and the challenges that allowed me to improve my skills such as productivity, communication and autonomy.
Pros
well paid for the education required, students can work only during summer
Cons
working most of the times on week-ends, hard to settle vacations
Fast paced work environment, and sanitary procedures
Meat Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 October 2016
A typical day at Costco would be making hamburger consistently, and making sure our services run smooth. The thing I enjoy most about this job is the communication between associates, and learning new and more productive ways to clean, these aspects are important in keeping the meat department running efficiently. I know it was nothing personal, but the management had a tendency to be hard on the staff, and their work. The hardest part of this job would likely be the weakly case cleaning.( It's hard on the back) I have thoroughly enjoyed all of my co-workers, they have taught me the ins and outs of the meat department, and they are a very friendly group individuals..
Pros
Free Coffee and Occasional free food in the lunch room
Cons
Cold environment, work with potentially dangerous chemical
Fast Paced Work Environment
Photo Centre Manager / Asst Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 December 2016
Working in a warehouse environment is fast paced, which I thrive off of, nothing better than always being on the go while you are helping others. Having a company with long term employees has pros and cons, it speaks volumes for the company when they are able to keep long term employees, their wages and benefits are a huge part of that, however many of those individuals have developed a sense of entitled which can be challenging at times to coop with. Being able to listen and understand how to balance multiple personalities is one of the greatest challenges as a manager.
Pros
Free Samples
Cons
Consistency
Friendly enough place to work...
Night Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB13 June 2016
Costco is alright to work for in the short term. on the ground level the folks there are decent and hard working. We all got along pretty well and some good friendships came out of that experience. However as you cast your gaze upwards there is a certain and unmistakable "Click" culture from about the supervisory level all the way up to upper management. An almost "cast" feel and culture that makes the majority of ground level personnel on the floor feel as though they do not belong and are looked down upon and made to feel they are treated differently.

This unfortunately breeds resentment and erodes any sort of solid foundation for fostering a kinship and investment by the average floor worker into the Costco company or culture and instead laws the fertile foundation for mistrust, resentment, lack of care towards the quality of work. The culture needs to drastically change there before Costco can ever be truly one of the greats instead of just another generic big box, high turnover, low pay high demand and unsatisfactory place of employment.
Pros
decent friendly co workers of equal standing in company
Cons
click culture and an unmistakable "cast" system of leadership.
hard work but lots of fun
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC11 June 2016
I love my job. I look forward to seeing most of the people I work with every morning. We work hard but have a lot of fun. I have been working there for almost 16 years, but as time goes on, sometimes changes are made, and when you are use to many years of the same thing, sometimes change is a little harder to take.
Pros
great benefits, great bonuses, great hourly wage, free lunches quite often
Cons
Not alot of consistency.
Fast Paced Environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON13 June 2016
Competitive work place environment. Once pass probation, you can move up in terms of job advancement.
Pros
Durability
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2016
Good company, excellent benefits. Easy location to get to, friendly co-workers.

Be prepared to work hard, but also to be rewarded well for your efforts.
Very busy, repetitive, tedious at times
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK10 August 2016
Costco was a pretty good place to work, if you don't mind dealing with a lot of people all day, every day. It is constantly very busy.

I worked as a cashier, dealing directly with customers. This involved scanning and packing items generally, but also putting away returns, folding clothes, mopping, and facing aisles. It depends on how busy it is during various times of the day.

Most of the managers were pretty pleasant, though there is an open-door policy in place if there are any issues. There were opportunities for advancement occasionally as well.
Pros
$1.50 hotdogs
Cons
Standing on concrete all day, lots of people
Costco Wholesale - Very busy, fast pace, and successful business
Front End Assistant and Merchandise (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON8 September 2016
- must be very attentive and ready to go always
- learned many front end positions and tasks, as well as merchandise
- managers have many employees to watch over and direct
- co-workers are happy for the most part
- hardest part of the job is the fast pace and constant flow of members
- most enjoyable part is member satisfaction and marketing programs to members
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Always busy, no time to really catch a breath
Overall Great company to work for
Part time Cashier/Assistant/ Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 March 2016
Typical day at work depends on department usually involves greeting customers, many regulars that visit to purchase items as well as promoting their products. Through this workplace you will learn the importance of time management, Interpersonal Skill as well as the ability multi tasks. Coworkers are amazing, friendly, and helpful, Hardest part of this job is the unstable scheduling. Overa;; the company is a prime place to work at with both great benefits and Cultural diversity to learn from.
Pros
Easy to balance work and life
Cons
Unstable Schedules
Costco
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  rockyview county,Alberta28 November 2016
Typical day starts later in the afternoon and goes until 11:00 due to I was doing night stocking and making all the produce look full before the next day. Management was awesome as long and you were honest with them and gave them enough notice they would work with you to give you days off
Pros
everyone took coffee breaks at the same time
Working at costco was a great experience
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC2 June 2016
The work atmosphere was great, and the coworkers as well as management are all nice people, adding to the enjoyable atmosphere when working there. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up with the enthusiasm of the employees have at times, as constantly talking to the hundreds of customers that pass through is very tiring, but at the same time, is the most enjoyable part of the job as well. Being able to communicate to all kinds of different people i otherwise would not have the chance to is something i greatly appreciate.
Productive, Effort, Time Management
Morning Stocker (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 September 2016
Stocking early in the morning & installing tires when the store is open. I have learned to manage my time & help my co-workers when they fall behind. management is easy to communicate with & there is always someone available to handle any issues. The job is very versatile, & I have been in many departments. I have met many people & have enjoyed working along side many of them.
Awesome place to work at!
Warehouse associate/ Front end associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 May 2016
Coscto was an amazing employer for all age groups. They provided competitive wages, excellent promotions, and always provided us with a great environment to work at.

4.2