Costco Wholesale

2.1K reviews

Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Useful skills are gained but its Not a very Challenging job for a University student- Go in, do your job, and leave
Morning Stocker (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJuly 30, 2014
Pros: sunday pay, flexible with school, you gain some useful skills on the job (team player, working hard, communication skills)
Cons: very boring and repetitive, you're thrown in any department at times without warning, ridiculously short staffed, favoritism, lifers are too comfortable (over-rely on you), they are never happy most of the time which makes going to work bothersome, management is disorganized, lack of communication, work-life balance isn't that great, company policies are run based on seniority
I have been working there for almost 2 years now and though there are some positive aspects to working there like the pay and flexibility with school, my experiences working for Costco have been negative and I'm not impressed with the way the company works. Yes its true that they treat their employees well, but you basically have to work there for years to get what you want. A company like this runs its ideals based on seniority, so the people who have been there the longest tend to get what they want such as vacation, certain days off and so on. The managers can be nice people, but they really need to do a better job in terms of how they run the company and pick favorites which is lame. They help you out and such by letting you know what needs to be done but communication among employees is absolutely terrible. Work life balance for a college student is better when you're going to school because you only work there weekends, but the summer is horrendous for that. I told my manager that I wanted friday, saturdays off till September and she said it was fine, but these past weeks my days off changed which just ruins your week because you have to change your plans and whatnot and I wasn't even told about it.

In my case, I'm in University, so I don't get weekends off unless I book it off in advance due to their policy. Also another issue I've noticed working for this company, especially since I've been there a while is that they like to over-rely on you (students particularly) which gets annoying because they never hire anyone part time. You have to start off seasonal, and the – more... managers decide whether they want to keep you on or let you go. Most people there just work there because they like the money but are never happy which creates a negative work environment, and if you work hard like I've been told by several co-workers and managers, they become too dependent.

The hardest part of the job is knowing that I have to go in and do it every single day until something better comes along and that people there are way too comfortable, especially the people who have degrees, the hours are not that great either. Working at 4am 5 days a week is tiring and routine, they aren't ideal hours for a college student. Also, people who are older than I am act like its high school , gossip and all that. Honestly I can't remember the last time I enjoyed this job. The only good thing was when the managers were not around as well as some of the lifers. Regardless I've met some cool people who have told me to stay in school and get an education so I can be happy and successful in life later onwards. Getting an education is good so you can get a good career. – less
Might as well find something better while you can, especially if you're a student
Morning Stocker (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaJuly 30, 2015
Pros: Work is easy to grasp, the CSRP makes things easier, you work with some good people
Cons: the hours suck, alway short staffed, never get weekends off, terrible management, favoritism, lifers, bad scheduling
My day is usually boring and all that. I go in, stock stuff before the store opens then find something to do before my shift is done. Overall, Its not a place where I want to work at after my degree. The management is pretty horrible. I get that you go in to do your job, but even that alone doesn't satisfy them. Managers should thank their coworkers as we work hard to do what you want. Some (not all) Coworkers don't treat you that great even if you work hard on the job. Yes you work as a team but a lot of people I work with have no ambition. I've been there almost 3 years and trying to move to the front end because a lot of younger staff work there, and the hours are more realistic. That's another thing, these hours aren't ideal, and if you're late you get a write up. Scheduling is horrendous as they make mistakes quite a lot on the schedule and I have to remind them what days off I originally gave them. I don't get benefits since I'm a student which is find cause its just temporary till I find something better. The job nature is fairly boring, routine and repetitive. Its just the people you have to work with at times that make it unbearable. Overall they "treat their employees well" but that doesn't mean that they value you as a person. The hardest part of the job I would say is that it can be physically challenging but that's about it. Also, once you do it over time, you don't really learn anything, and its not really a fun environment since people there just do it for the paycheck rather than passion. Most enjoyable part of the job is that the people who have been there – more... for too long know what their doing so it makes your work easier when someone tells you how to do something. All in all, Costco needs to take into consideration the value of how hard employees work. If you don't like it, might as well find a job that will make you happy in the long run rather than working there for years which has made some people go crazy. – less
90 day right to terminate ABUSED !
Front End Assistant (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABDecember 29, 2015
Pros: free executive membership, free Christmas turkey
Cons: they take back the executive membership when they let you go.
The COSTCO Winterburn rd. location in Edmonton,Alb let over 20 employees go on Christmas eve this year 2015 (shortage of work was on our ROE), who does that !.
My position at COSTCO was front end assistant, or better known as 'the person that boxes your groceries' . I didn't mind to work one bit,kept me busy and active,made the day go by quickly.
However.........
1.) At the winterburn rd costco in edmonton, when retrieving boxes from the box bins as they come to the to the front end, was just embarrassing, belittling and just unnecessarily humiliating. other front end assistant fighting over 'the good boxes', elbowing each other, stepping on each others feet, no ability to share with their co-workers, a general 'every man for himself attitude'. I've never seen anything like it at other costco locations throughout the city.
2.) NO COMMUNICATION between front end managers,especially on Saturdays and Sundays when 5-6 front end managers were in. All given different orders, to different front end assistants and no one's communicating who's doing what...when.
3.) They allowed the ethic workforce to speak their native language, making those of us that don't understand feel, awkward and uncomfortable, who's to say that aren't talking about others in an inappropriate manner. What you do on your private time is fine,working around others...not professional at all !
4.) While employed there, I seen well over 100 different employees come....and go. (should have seen it coming). I should have put 2+2 together and realized then at COSTCO ABUSES the 90 right to terminate policy.
 – more...
5.) MYTH: Costco employees get a discount on products. No, costco employees DO NOT get a discount.

If your looking for a 'forever job' this is not the place for you.
However I will say this...I did like all the management personnel, they were nice, understanding and helpful. Gotta say this...they were very polite when they laid us all off on Christmas Eve. – less
Horrible management, no work/life balance
Front End (Former Employee), Balzac, AbJuly 21, 2015
Working for Costco meant paycheques so low I could not afford to pay the rent. Five hour shifts both weekend days and 3-4 late nights per week. I am over 35 and I was scheduled for 5 hr shifts till 10:30 while I watched 20 somethings leave 8 hr shifts at 6-7 pm. I have a little person to put to bed. At less than $14/hr I had to pay out much of my wages for babysitters. They think it's reasonable to change your shifts the night before and literally tell staff to ensure to check the schedule every day before they leave to see if more/less hours added or start times changed etc- literally- less than 24 hrs notice and they do it if you are off the previous day too- seriously ridiculous. There is a long term " manager" there with absolutely no skill in managing people and no professionalism whatsoever. Her name begins with P and she is a serious bully. She literally tried to give me trouble for going to the bathroom early on an open shift one Sunday morning. I was less than 5 minutes. I stood up for myself so she didn't like me, but she has a very bad rep for bullying staff ( many are 18 -24 yrs old) and the corporation does not care. This is the culture. Fear. Everyone is afraid to speak up because pay and benefits don't get good until you've put up with their culture for 3 years and maybe you'll kiss enough butt to get on full time. I've watched semi- fit, able bodied men in their 30's and early 40's stand around jingling keys in their pockets acting important inside under the heaters while staff- supervisors and cashiers that are over 55 and one over 65 are running around the – more... parking lot in a snow storm bringing in buggies. Disgusting. This is at Balzac Costco in Ab.
The ONLY thing that made this job bearable was how amazing the people can be. Most are lovely, wonderful people. But those are the seasonal staff. Most who had much self respect and a basic need to earn enough to survive didn't stick around long. – less
Productive and fun place to work with great co workers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 21, 2013
Pros: lots of opportunities
Cons: had to work long hours on weekends
Customer Service Representative
• Responsible for customer service in all departments. Duties included answering customer inquiries, problem solving and providing detailed and efficient information and product knowledge;
• Worked with new and current customers in the development of new accounts and the implantation of new systems, policies and procedures;
• Assisted in the training of new customer service representatives and associates;
• Experienced in working with large sums of money, receiving and recording cash amounts, cheques and charged payments. Preparing daily cash bullet deposits and maintaining and balanced cash vault; and
• Generated repeat business through successful client follow ups
Merchandiser
• Supervised the handling of goods. Verified that items were carefully managed and precisely placed in the warehouse;
• Maintained a clean and show-time ready work environment; and
• Established teamwork improvements in warehouse, along with assisting coworkers with completion of daily tasks

Food Preparation and Service Assistant
• More than 3 ½ years of experience;
• Maintained personal hygiene, food handling, equipment safety and sanitation certificates completed;
• Food preparation and assembly; cleaned and maintained a food-safe and hazard free work environment; and
• Professional communicating skills with customers and other staff members
Professional Warehouse Demonstrator
Cashier/Drive thru/Trainer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONAugust 16, 2015
Pros: Free Samples
Cons: Standing for Long Periods at a time.
A typical day working at Costco would consist of standing at my sample table interacting with different customers who would try my samples and decide whether they wanted to buy the product. I would stand at my table for most of the day, helping customers find my product in the store. This job has definitely taught me how to interact with customers a lot more by asking them questions about the food they have just tried, meeting different types of people and dealing with certain situations at work as well. Our management team was split up between three different woman and we usually only spoke to them when we had an issue with the products, seeing our schedule and having them order more product for us while we were on the floor sampling. The hardest part of the job would most likely be trying to sell the product if you have a product on the table that people might not like, for example; New Organic Cereal.. It was very hard to sell this because not many people were interested and then at the end of the day your sales would not be very good, so its definitely harder trying to sell something to someone when they don't like it. I really enjoyed interacting with customers, I would meet all different types, some really liked to talk to you and you would get to know people because they always cam into Costco during the week. I really like talking to people was always interested in hearing their input on what i was sampling.
Working for one of the biggest company in the world
Aide-Commis/Marchandiseur (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJuly 23, 2014
Pros: ambiance, employee benefits
Cons: the fact that sometimes i had to start at 4 am.
Costco is know for the quality of its product, the quality of its services and especially for the way they treat their employees. I worked as a merchandiser and at the front of the store at the customer service.

As a merchandiser the recipe is simple; every morning, starting at 4 am, we have to sort out all the merchandise we received and place it at there respective spots. Of course we also had to clean the alley and leave them clean and secure for the customers

When it comes to customer service, I touched a lot of responsibilities; pack the purchases of the members (customers), help them in anyway possible (if they forgot an item, I'll go get it for them, if they need help to put all their items in their car. On top of all that, always be happy and helpful. I also had to work in the parking lot, I took care of all the carriages , as well as the general coordination of the parking lot. Making sure it secure for the customers or anybody.

Working at Costco helped me to really understand how to take care of a customer, as well as how to to be organized.

I really had a great time working at Costco, the ambiance between all the employees was incredible; everybody was friend with everybody, everybody helped each others. Throughout my stay as a Costco worker I really grasp the idea of "Team Work"
Costco - Great Environment to Grow
Lot Attendant and Cashier Assistant (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, OntarioJuly 26, 2014
Costco is a great environment and workplace for individuals to grow and learn and also gain valuable experience. A typical day a work would be is communicating with members of Costco by answering questions they might have on products Costco offers and concerns they have towards it. Also helping the cashiers load and unload the products in and out of the cart and helping Costco maintain a clean environment. Sometimes this can vary because you can be helping out in other departments too which can be beneficial as you gain experience. Management at Costco are there to help anytime it is needed and are there to help excel an employees skills by telling them what improvements they can do and what additional tasks they can perform in order to achieve a certain goal. The employees at Costco are very friendly and are there to help another co - worker when they are in need. Teamwork is a key skill in this workplace in which is a beneficial skill they can be learned from. There is no difficulty within this job because there are individuals around you that can help you to get the job done easier and efficiently. The enjoyable part of this is the fast paced environment that makes an individual be ump on their feet and feel energized. Overall, Costco is a place to gain valuable and cherishable experience in the long run.
Hard, rewarding work with high starting pay and huge opportunities for advancement
Stocker/Packer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2015
Pros: good starting salary, quick pay upgrades, huge room for advancement
Cons: physically demanding, sometimes have to work late hours
I work the night shift and come in at different times past noon. Typically I will go and help pack carts for a few hours, especially during busy times of the day. Occasionally I will be asked to help load a larger order into a customers vehicle during this time. When it starts to approach closing time and the amount of customers slows down I am typically asked to help return items that customers didn't want, or bring them to MR in the event they were broken/unsellable. During this time if customers approach me looking for items I am expected to help them find it. When the store finally closed I will typically either help stock the food which was rather physically demanding at times or to remove and compact the many empty boxes and plastic wraps that tends to accumulate while stocking. Weekends when they close early usually go better than others and we typically finish early. Weekdays are not always smooth sailing and many of us would be asked to stay late and help if the job was unfinished. If all the work is finished I am often asked to stay behind and help sweep the floors and tidy up the shelves so that the store will be presentable in the morning.
Great co-workers, terrible management.
Cashier (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: the pay is higher than minimum wages
Cons: management
Typical Day: They had me perform different duties everyday from cashier, re-stock and front/exit doors. They always made sure you were busy.

What I Learned: I learned how to handle multiple tasks as they were given to me. This allowed me to be able to prioritize duties in the order that I found most productive.

Management: Too many people in power at Costco. This made the job harder than anticipated because there would be too many people telling me to do so many different things that overlapped each other. This would make me get into trouble because they never classified which manager was higher than the other which means, apparently, I had to do things for one person over another. This would lead to disagreements.

Co-Workers: They were nice for the most part. Very tolerable. I am not one to cause problems with co-workers because I try to make the workplace as tolerable as possible, without problems. After working at Costco I have remained friends with most of my co-workers.

Hardest Part: Listening to all the managers telling me to do very different things all at the same time, then getting in trouble for it.

Enjoyable Part: Going into work every day to see my co-workers/friends.
It's a job, not a career- overall an all-around job
Morning Stocker (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: pretty good pay, flexible with school
Cons: disorganized management, coworkers are lazy, breaks, no weekends off, hard to move up
I'm a morning Stocker, so basically I go in and stock whatever needs to get stocked at work. Being there for 1 year and 8 months has been interesting. Its nice that they care about their employees and pay you well and stuff, but I'm 21 and tend to work harder than a lot of people who have been there for years and are lazy by over-relying on you, and I'm one of few people there going to school. Management is alright, but could use some work. It took them 2 months to replace someone from our department which just means more work especially since its physically demanding. Plus you basically have to give your life to them if you want to move up. For me, they never give you weekends off unless you book it off, which i understand is their policy but at the same time doesn't seem just if they can't "hire" people at times.

hardest part of the job is some of the people you work with but its a job, I don't go there to make friends, I just do what needs to get done. The most enjoyable part is some people there make you feel at home which is nice, and satisfaction to the work you do.
Fun Environment to work in
Tire Technician (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 5, 2015
Pros: free coffee once in awhile
Cons: it gets really busy in winter and spring
I drive in cars and lift them on the lifts. Take the tires off and replace them with either new or used tires. After I change the tire I balance them. Before I put them back on the vehicle I check if the hub is clean then I put them on. After I finish putting the wheel on I ask a Tire Lead to check my work before I drive the vehicle out. I have worked on a variety of vehicles like duel wheelers, sprinter vans, trucks, and cars. What I have learned from working in the tire shop is that communication with your colleagues is really important to get the job done. I learned that in everyone in the shop plays an important role in order to be efficient. My co-workers make the shop a fun environment to be in. I can look forward to going to work because my colleagues are really fun to be around. The hardest part of working in the tire shop would be working on the duel wheelers. the most enjoyable part of the job would be working with my co-workers.
Handing out samples as a demonstrater
demonstrater (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 20, 2014
Pros: work in a great environment with great people
Cons: standing lots
Hi Everyone!!!

My name is Charlie Lapointe I am 26 years old and I was born and raised in Ottawa,Ontario I love to work in a fast paced Environment and I love to make new friend's and I have done sales basicly my whole life I started selling candy bars since the age of 11 years old I have learned to use fluent english I am great on the phone and I also learned how to talk to a client and convince him to buy the product I would be selling I get along with other people I hate working alone I am very outgoing and kind spirit I think the Hardest part of trying to sell anything if it's on the phone or it's going door to door sales is convincing the client to try and sell them something you need to learn how to speak to a client and don't take No the first time keep trying to get that client the most enjoyable part of sales is you meet different people and make a strong sense of the job.
This is a fun fast paced place to work
Front End Service Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 27, 2014
Cons: seasonal, done jan 6, 2015
A typical day is to sign in and find out were you are going to be at starting time. As the day progresses you may go from cahier to boxer outside cart fetcher.

I learned that most people are pleasant and the most kids are tired of shopping by the time they reach the till. If you have been to Costco you know it is not a quick in and out.

Management has a lot on their plate and they do a terrific job at getting everyone placed and problems sorted fast.

Co-workers are fun, you never stay with the same one too long and that gives you the change you need in your day to continue at such as fast and pleasant persona.

The hardest part of the day is always being on the move. You never stop. It takes a bit to get used to but makes your day go fast.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the constant change and learning. Costco is a fast paced place and there is always someone to help in about 2 seconds when needed.
Productive and Enjoyable workplace
Meat Assistant (Former Employee), Richmond, BCJanuary 27, 2016
Working at Costco as a seasonal employee, I wished I could've fully stayed on as a part/full-time associate. The people I work with are generally all nice people, really easy to talk to, and make the workday a little better. Typically, I would start by organizing and condensing the meat counters, and running to the coolers to see what I can bring out to the main floor. And then asking if there's anything needed to be completed afterwards. I learned how to package meat, work with the machines, learning to label the different kinds of product, and basic sanitation skills. The management in my department are nothing short of amazing. They always gave me something to do, knew how to keep me busy, and overall they're nice people who are easy to come to if I ever needed help. To me, every thing is hard before it gets easy. I guess that the hardest thing was making new adjustments to different situations.
I would say this job is most suitable as a temporary job, until you find something better.
Refunds and Membership Clerk/ Merchandise Stocker (Former Employee), Okotoks, ABFebruary 9, 2015
Costco is an alright place to work. It is a company where being an employee is just being another number. Its nothing special. You go to work, do your x amount of hours and your done. Costco is great however for allowing employees change departments more often so you get to see and work in different departments.

Management is okay. Nothing special. I personally had my few favorite managers since these specific ones were friendly and didn't just treat you like another number. Co-workers... the turn-over at costco is ridiculous so your not always going to have the same bunch of co-workers you knew when you started there. Overall, co-workers are great.

most enjoyable part of the job.... there really isn't anything that I personally would say is enjoyable about working at costco.
Big box stereotypes need not apply
Food Service Assistant (Current Employee), Nepean, ONOctober 22, 2013
Pros: great people, routine, positive environment, flexible
Cons: some late nights required, some early mornings required
Costco Wholesale is an amazing company, there's room to grow regardless of what position is initially given. The staff and managers are approachable and are helpful even in the tightest situations. Any work done within the warehouse is meant to be done as a team and not a solo operation. The warehouse also provides variety in daily tasks and routine, because it's customer based the same "stock and buy" routine is there but the amount of people that are dealt with on a daily basis changes so much, that the job feels different every time. Even though Costco is a "Big Box" retailer, it has so much more to offer, the employees are happy to be there and it loses any stereotypes given to it once you understand the company a bit more.
King of the retail jobs..
Majors Sales (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: wages, benefits, raises, job security
Cons: management tactics
A typical day is serving the Members on the sales floor.
Special duties include cleaning the fence of empty boxes, bailing those boxes, helping front end cash registers or stocking the shelves/coolers/freezers.
I learned that Costco has some excellent policies in writing that are disregarded by Management.
Management are on a different level from the staff and they let you know it. "I am your boss, hahaha!" is a direct quote from Day 1 at Costco.
My co-workers were mostly nice. A couple of them show you their true colours when they are faced with the prospect of becoming a Manager.
The hardest part of the job was trying to communicate with Management. They did their best to postpone talks, and avoid replying to inbox letters.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping Members.
Experienced with Member communication and be positive at work place no matter what happen.
STOCKER (Former Employee), MISSISSAUGA, ONMay 26, 2014
Pros: ya of course they were putting period and period cakes or fruits and even goodies ( chips, pop, ....)
Cons: -
working in COSTCO was great opportunity to get experience in work place, great people I worked with and wonderful hours.

I learned how to deal with members in business path, and also I got a good communication skills.

Management were amazing, they tough me different things, like; teaching me how to do work right in first place and to now the different between item and item.

the hardest was when I had to work in the early morning, in the cold to wait the bus, the first week was hard but then i used to it and I liked more than the evening time.

The most enjoyable was, when I used to help different department, includes Cashier, Meat, RC, and also working late at night was more than amazing to me.
Good job, bad manager
Morning Stocker (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: good pay, good work, active coworkers
Cons: disinterested, often rude manager
I worked at 4:45 (sometimes 4:15) in the morning unloading pallets and stocking shelves. I worked in the pet food aisle, and all of the food was in bulk, so the work could become laborious, which wasn't a problem for me. Apart from my manager the managers at Costco were all friendly and helpful and polite. My manager had been transferred from a different store and had a reputation for inappropriately harassing and being rude to his employees, and he lived up to it. I enjoyed stocking my aisles with merchandise, and crushing garbage in the compactor, and even waking up at 3:30 AM to go to work, but I didn't enjoy working under such a manager. Still, if I could work at Costco under a different manager I would do so as it is a good company that seems to care about it's employees.
Headquarters