Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Amazing place to work for.
Front End Packer/Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS4 January 2017
Costco was an amazing place to work for and I would recommend it to anybody. They have amazing pay raise opportunities, they pay 100 dollars a year for shoe vouchers, give away free turkeys at Christmas and give steady raises based on hours worked. They treat their employees well and are extremely fair to long-term employees regarding time off. An employee can earn up to 5 weeks vacation, depending on how long they have been working for the company, and make up to 25.00 an hour without becoming a manager. Costco also gives its employees a free executive membership, which lets them earn back on their purchases at the warehouse. There is also a yearly bonus for long-term employees.
Pros
Amazing staff, discounts, pay raises, yearly bonus
Cons
Too much gossip between managers and co workers, not enough managerial boundaries
Great Company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 February 2017
Learned excellent customer service

Workplace was safe, and I never had any trouble with my coworkers

Being able to work different jobs with in the warehouse made the job interesting, always learning something new

CSRP Program is really good allowed me to be able to go to school and work during summer and winter breaks, and reading weeks.

When I was ready to work part time they switched me over and gave me hours, and when I needed to cut back on hours all I had to do was ask.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Good Management, Competitive Salary, Good Benefits
top employers!
Front/End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2016
a typical day at work is fastpaced cashing and packing with the store jam packed everyday there is no lazying around. co workers are diverse, managers are fun.
hardest part of the job: HEAVY. to lift heavy things in fastpaced motions would deteriorate your body, but you can just apply to other departments from within. working in the front end in night shifts is having to push carts outside in a middle of a snow blizzard, you have no choice.

most enjoyable part is there's no room for boredom, free samples two fifteen minute paid coffeebreak in an eight hour shift. be one of the first people to know what's on sale for the next week.

I was a fulltime student when i worked in costco and they never allow a less than 5 shifts a week for highschool or upgrading students. they only have student particular shifts for college/university students.

once you've been hired the greater the probability to be rehired again.

Seniority culture is both a pro and a con.
Pros
seniority, benefits, good pay, many inside opportunities, opportunity to grow, could become a lifetime career
Cons
heavy, seniority
Costco is a very good place to work
Merchandiser & Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 January 2017
I enjoy most facets of my job with Costco.

A typical day includes physical labor as I work as an early morning (5:00am) merchandiser. This means that I am one of the first people in every day and am responsible for getting the business ready for open.

I have a management team that makes me feel part of a team. The majority of management I work with push me to do my best and promote my personal success. My co-workers are the best part of my job. They are genuinely good people who make my day even better.

The hardest part of my job can sometimes be the fast pace required on a daily basis. While most days are better than others, some require a great face lift on the way merchandise is presented due to the influx of new product or general wishes of management.
Pros
Free membership, benefits
Cons
Fast pace (occasionally), missed communication opportunities
Fast pace but fun work place
Assistant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC15 January 2017
Although the beat you have to follow is very fast, it's easy to fall into a rhythm during a shift. The coworkers are all incredibly nice and helpful, while the management can seem a bit frigid and occasionally biased. Would not recommend if you're a student as the hours aren't incredibly flexible.
Pros
Free Membership Card, very good salary, friendly coworkers
Cons
Long hours, cold management
fun environment where hard work and dedication are recognized
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2017
early mornings for stockers are easy to get used to, the workers and management are helpful and fair. good hard work was always recognized and praised. fast paced work means that as you are rarely working in the vicinity of others it is hard to get to know others on a personal level.
Pros
good and fair management, flexible shifts.
Cons
early mornings, short shifts
Great Benefits
Tire Centre Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON31 January 2017
Great benefits, but no work life balance and difficult to advance unless your willing to sacrifice your social and family life. Upper Management is only focused on producing numbers and making their bonus. Not much coaching and training and most managers don't have an education in the background that they're managing.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No Balance
Fast paced and customer (member) oriented work environment.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON15 December 2016
A typical day at Costco begins at 5am.The first 3 to 4 hours are very labour intensive.The floors have to be swept to remove all wood pieces from the floor that have been left behind from the forklifts moving skids of materials onto the floors all night.I probably walk 5 miles accomplishing this.It was tough at first,but now it has become routine with the benefit of feeling healthier as I have lost 15 lbs.The management is very appreciative of our hard work in getting the store ready for opening every morning and constantly thanks employees for doing a good job.Once the store is open I enjoy helping our customers locate items in this massive store that they cannot locate.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
working every weekend
Worst company I have ever worked for
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 March 2017
Costco is by far the worst company to work for. It is filled with liars, back stabbers and people that will throw you under the bus to get ahead.
You can't trust any body there, people will pretend to be your friend just to stab you in the back to get ahead. They have a open door policy which they will use to get you to feel comfortable to talk to them but then they use it against you. Management is horrible. They call people that may be "slow" re**rd behind their backs. Do yourself a favor and don't apply there, it's not worth it!
Pros
Benifits...Thas about it.
Cons
MANAGEMENT...and other employees. To many other things to mention.
Fun work place ,everyone is cooperative
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB16 February 2017
It was a nice experience working at Costco.Interacting with people on front end is an extensive experience.Being busy place time just flies. Job security and cooperation by management and coworkers is another good experience.Vacations provided by Costco and medical benefits are awesome.Pay rate is also good.
Productive and amazing place to work throughout university.
Produce Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON3 March 2017
Typical day would include managing sales floor, creating floor plans, interacting with members, driving sales and communicating with buying.

I've learnt several things about my self, how I work as a manager, what are my strengths and weaknesses.
-how to motivate various types of staff,
-facilitate personal and team growth by achieving goals
-extremely personal and work well with others

Culture is very family orientated, company takes care of employees.
Pros
Benefits, flexibility to move around departments
Cons
hours and working retails
Great platform to learn about the industry
Membership Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
Its been a wonderful journey so far to be a part of one of the largest wholesale companies globally, great opportunity to learn in a fast paced organization which requires us to be multi-tasking. The most enjoyable part of this job is to meet people from all round which is something I love because of my outgoing personality. I love the management and enjoy their support in every day activities at work.
Pros
Great monetary and added benefits
Cons
Not a typical 9 to 5 job.
Fast Paced friendly environment
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 February 2017
Costco is a great place to work. They offer great competitive wages as well as lots of job opportunities and promotions with in the company. It is a fast paced environment with friendly staff and good management,
Great work environment
Commis au Service (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC14 March 2017
Costco is well known for it's multiple advancement options offered to it's staff based on their cultural value to promote from within which is great for their employees. This leads to a good overall motivation from their staff and also helps the process of making employees adopt your cultural values.
Pros
Advancement possibilities, Good security, good benefits
Cons
tasks can be somewhat uninteresting
Great corporate culture and opportunities for advancement
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 July 2016
A typical day at work involves ensuring the cleanliness of the clothing area and interacting with coworkers to delegate responsibilities. I have learned the importance and effectiveness of teamwork in achieving goals. The management is very accommodating to the employees' needs and the coworkers very cooperative in and out of work. The hardest part of the job is the repetitive and unchallenging work while the most enjoyable part of the job is the employees and corporate culture.
Pros
Great corporate culture, opportunities for advancement, pay structure, job security
Cons
Repetitive unchallenging work
Too many Chiefs, not enough indians
Front End (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB1 June 2016
You only get ahead by being a brown nosing gossip. Hard work and honesty are not appreciated. Rude members are allowed to do or say anything to employees.

Some coworkers and most of management likes to gossip and spread stuff around.

The only really good thing about Costco and working there is the pay and the benefits.

Job is high stress and management needs a big overhaul, in fact the higher up you go the worse it is (for the most part). Most of the managers have no people skills.

Praise is rarely given, but mistakes are quick to be pointed out.

Saint John warehouse is full of sexism towards both men and women.

There are too many husband/wife, BF/GF couples and relatives working at this location and favouritism shows.

Work is very physical and requires lots of standing but overall not bad.

Work/life balance isn't great, good hours given to favourite employees.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
see review, lots of these...
Sample food or other items from Costco Pwd on unpaid breakes only
Bakery/SSOP's (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON10 January 2017
* a typical day at work
- Well it's hard work it pays of at the end of the day when it is said and done

* what you learned
- To work around the others to avoid interference with your cleaning and their work and be collaborative team player with other duties responsibilities and etc...

* management
- Very well run place, looking after their employees needs as well as their customers

* your co-workers
- Most of your co-workers are helpful and understanding people are great to work with

* the hardest part of the job
- At times removing stubborn hardened flour as well as stains from the ovens and racks

* the most enjoyable part of the job
- When the work gets done and the smiles you get from the bakery manager and the management. Also sometimes when you assist customers needs as well
Pros
Very good pay. sometimes in the cafeteria free buffets
Cons
Seasonal
Fun Place to Work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON31 January 2017
Great work environment, low starting pay, but you get steady raises the more hours you work. Great managers and co workers. I would recommend working here over any other retail job I have done.
Pros
Free membership, Steady Raises, Great Benefits and Bonuses
Cons
Hard to get hours as part time or seasonal
Fast-Paced environment with good benefits,
Parking Lot Attendant (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB2 March 2017
Costco is busy, but not unbearable! With the friendly staff and constructive managers the day flies by. Regardless of the department you will always have something to do!
Pros
Benefits, Internal Hire, Advancement, Raises
Cons
Customer Service / Membership Renewals (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2017
Great place to work promising future but hard work. Good benefits and advancement opportunities.. Great team work and feeling work is family.
Pros
good Benefits
Cons
Hard Work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Costco Wholesale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2