Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Amazing place to work for.
Front End Packer/Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS4 January 2017
Costco was an amazing place to work for and I would recommend it to anybody. They have amazing pay raise opportunities, they pay 100 dollars a year for shoe vouchers, give away free turkeys at Christmas and give steady raises based on hours worked. They treat their employees well and are extremely fair to long-term employees regarding time off. An employee can earn up to 5 weeks vacation, depending on how long they have been working for the company, and make up to 25.00 an hour without becoming a manager. Costco also gives its employees a free executive membership, which lets them earn back on their purchases at the warehouse. There is also a yearly bonus for long-term employees.
Pros
Amazing staff, discounts, pay raises, yearly bonus
Cons
Too much gossip between managers and co workers, not enough managerial boundaries
Costco is a very good place to work
Merchandiser & Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 January 2017
I enjoy most facets of my job with Costco.

A typical day includes physical labor as I work as an early morning (5:00am) merchandiser. This means that I am one of the first people in every day and am responsible for getting the business ready for open.

I have a management team that makes me feel part of a team. The majority of management I work with push me to do my best and promote my personal success. My co-workers are the best part of my job. They are genuinely good people who make my day even better.

The hardest part of my job can sometimes be the fast pace required on a daily basis. While most days are better than others, some require a great face lift on the way merchandise is presented due to the influx of new product or general wishes of management.
Pros
Free membership, benefits
Cons
Fast pace (occasionally), missed communication opportunities
Fast paced and customer (member) oriented work environment.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON15 December 2016
A typical day at Costco begins at 5am.The first 3 to 4 hours are very labour intensive.The floors have to be swept to remove all wood pieces from the floor that have been left behind from the forklifts moving skids of materials onto the floors all night.I probably walk 5 miles accomplishing this.It was tough at first,but now it has become routine with the benefit of feeling healthier as I have lost 15 lbs.The management is very appreciative of our hard work in getting the store ready for opening every morning and constantly thanks employees for doing a good job.Once the store is open I enjoy helping our customers locate items in this massive store that they cannot locate.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
working every weekend
top employers!
Front/End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2016
a typical day at work is fastpaced cashing and packing with the store jam packed everyday there is no lazying around. co workers are diverse, managers are fun.
hardest part of the job: HEAVY. to lift heavy things in fastpaced motions would deteriorate your body, but you can just apply to other departments from within. working in the front end in night shifts is having to push carts outside in a middle of a snow blizzard, you have no choice.

most enjoyable part is there's no room for boredom, free samples two fifteen minute paid coffeebreak in an eight hour shift. be one of the first people to know what's on sale for the next week.

I was a fulltime student when i worked in costco and they never allow a less than 5 shifts a week for highschool or upgrading students. they only have student particular shifts for college/university students.

once you've been hired the greater the probability to be rehired again.

Seniority culture is both a pro and a con.
Pros
seniority, benefits, good pay, many inside opportunities, opportunity to grow, could become a lifetime career
Cons
heavy, seniority
Fast Paced Work Environment
Photo Centre Manager / Asst Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 December 2016
Working in a warehouse environment is fast paced, which I thrive off of, nothing better than always being on the go while you are helping others. Having a company with long term employees has pros and cons, it speaks volumes for the company when they are able to keep long term employees, their wages and benefits are a huge part of that, however many of those individuals have developed a sense of entitled which can be challenging at times to coop with. Being able to listen and understand how to balance multiple personalities is one of the greatest challenges as a manager.
Pros
Free Samples
Cons
Consistency
Fast pace but fun work place
Assistant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC15 January 2017
Although the beat you have to follow is very fast, it's easy to fall into a rhythm during a shift. The coworkers are all incredibly nice and helpful, while the management can seem a bit frigid and occasionally biased. Would not recommend if you're a student as the hours aren't incredibly flexible.
Pros
Free Membership Card, very good salary, friendly coworkers
Cons
Long hours, cold management
fun environment where hard work and dedication are recognized
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2017
early mornings for stockers are easy to get used to, the workers and management are helpful and fair. good hard work was always recognized and praised. fast paced work means that as you are rarely working in the vicinity of others it is hard to get to know others on a personal level.
Pros
good and fair management, flexible shifts.
Cons
early mornings, short shifts
Fast paced work environment, co-workers and senior professionals are very helpful and knowledgable.
MARKETING ASSOCIATE (INTERNSHIP) (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 January 2017
I usually working on weekends due to my classes and other activities on weekdays. I started my day at the membership counter, attended department meetings and performing all over the week to complete the targets. Best part was the customer interaction. I am now more punctual, a good listener, and excellent problem solver.
Pros
Benefits and attractive salary
Cons
located outside the city
Too many Chiefs, not enough indians
Front End (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB1 June 2016
You only get ahead by being a brown nosing gossip. Hard work and honesty are not appreciated. Rude members are allowed to do or say anything to employees.

Some coworkers and most of management likes to gossip and spread stuff around.

The only really good thing about Costco and working there is the pay and the benefits.

Job is high stress and management needs a big overhaul, in fact the higher up you go the worse it is (for the most part). Most of the managers have no people skills.

Praise is rarely given, but mistakes are quick to be pointed out.

Saint John warehouse is full of sexism towards both men and women.

There are too many husband/wife, BF/GF couples and relatives working at this location and favouritism shows.

Work is very physical and requires lots of standing but overall not bad.

Work/life balance isn't great, good hours given to favourite employees.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
see review, lots of these...
Costco Wholesale - Very busy, fast pace, and successful business
Front End Assistant and Merchandise (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON8 September 2016
- must be very attentive and ready to go always
- learned many front end positions and tasks, as well as merchandise
- managers have many employees to watch over and direct
- co-workers are happy for the most part
- hardest part of the job is the fast pace and constant flow of members
- most enjoyable part is member satisfaction and marketing programs to members
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
Always busy, no time to really catch a breath
Great Company
Front End Assistant (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
Great Company to work for. Very nice compensation. I wish I could work there full-time. Management at my location was awesome! They trained me to cash in a few weeks after I started. Initially I was hired as a packer.
great place to work
Warehouse Laborer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 January 2017
steady and secure job. nothing out of the ordinary , but great benefits. people are usually great as well. management is proactive on individual success along with the warehouse's success
Good Overall
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 July 2016
Very good job for students and people who are willing to learn about customer service and marketing and want to advance in the company's hierarchy. If you are someone with a strong character and don't like to be told what to do, Costco is not the right place for you. Same as any other jobs, management could be better but also look forward to excel in whatever it is that you do.
Pros
Great benefits, adjustable schedule.
Cons
work on weekends, pressure all the time, fast pace work, have to be friendly with people.
Steady Hours, Fast Pace work place.
Front End Assistant, Night Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON14 December 2016
Morning merchandise stocker required being at the work place by 4:30am each day of the week. Managers are very demanding and work place is very fast pace. Great benefits.
Pros
Stable Hours and paid breaks.
Cons
Too demanding on work pace.
Great place to work, fun inviting atmosphere
Sales Auditor, Expense back up (Current Employee) –  Red Deer County, AB27 May 2016
Costco is a great place to work with good advancement, they have competitive salary and benefits, however it is difficult to maintain a full time position working in administration at Costco. I have learned how to work in an office environment, how to pay bills, audit sales, and work in the vault. My co workers are very pleasant people, the hardest part of my job is having to help out on the front end and pack groceries. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to fix mistakes and solve problems.
Pros
great hours
good place to work as a student
Front End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON12 October 2016
When working at Costco i felt welcome. All the co-workers were friendly. The work was usual consist and repetitive, but doesn't add to much strain on your body. The break times are reasonable. They also offer benefits for students.
Pros
comfortable workeplace
Cons
short shifts
fun place, but very busy
Front End, cashier (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 November 2016
uploading and packing groceries, cash duties. many unusal hours of work. cleaning, tiding warehouse, very low pay, have to work weekends and evenings.
hired as seasonal but hoping to get on as part time then I could gert benefits.
Pros
team work
Cons
odd hours
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 October 2016
Good company, excellent benefits. Easy location to get to, friendly co-workers.

Be prepared to work hard, but also to be rewarded well for your efforts.
Enriching, overall good working conditions, but management issues and work/life balance not good
Service clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 May 2016
It was an enriching experience, but the warehouse where I worked for clearly needs a more standardized management type. What I mean is (for example) that you could get different ways of seeing and applying the same procedures depending on who (among assistant-managers and supervisors) you would addressed the question or concern. It was a fun workplace at the beginning, but it is an energy consuming atmosphere, both in the psychological and the physical sense. The benefits (assurances, paid membership cards, higher salary than the minimum, etc.) were satisfying. Anyway, I am grateful for what I learned and the challenges that allowed me to improve my skills such as productivity, communication and autonomy.
Pros
well paid for the education required, students can work only during summer
Cons
working most of the times on week-ends, hard to settle vacations
Very nice place to work
Finishing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC9 November 2016
i liked costco a lot. I learnt how to work fast in a factory environment. I learnt how to achieve goals through communication.
Pros
nice salary
Cons
might get bored of the repetition

4.2