Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Amazing place to work for.
Front End Packer/Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS4 January 2017
Costco was an amazing place to work for and I would recommend it to anybody. They have amazing pay raise opportunities, they pay 100 dollars a year for shoe vouchers, give away free turkeys at Christmas and give steady raises based on hours worked. They treat their employees well and are extremely fair to long-term employees regarding time off. An employee can earn up to 5 weeks vacation, depending on how long they have been working for the company, and make up to 25.00 an hour without becoming a manager. Costco also gives its employees a free executive membership, which lets them earn back on their purchases at the warehouse. There is also a yearly bonus for long-term employees.
Pros
Amazing staff, discounts, pay raises, yearly bonus
Cons
Too much gossip between managers and co workers, not enough managerial boundaries
Great Company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 February 2017
Learned excellent customer service

Workplace was safe, and I never had any trouble with my coworkers

Being able to work different jobs with in the warehouse made the job interesting, always learning something new

CSRP Program is really good allowed me to be able to go to school and work during summer and winter breaks, and reading weeks.

When I was ready to work part time they switched me over and gave me hours, and when I needed to cut back on hours all I had to do was ask.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Good Management, Competitive Salary, Good Benefits
top employers!
Front/End Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 October 2016
a typical day at work is fastpaced cashing and packing with the store jam packed everyday there is no lazying around. co workers are diverse, managers are fun.
hardest part of the job: HEAVY. to lift heavy things in fastpaced motions would deteriorate your body, but you can just apply to other departments from within. working in the front end in night shifts is having to push carts outside in a middle of a snow blizzard, you have no choice.

most enjoyable part is there's no room for boredom, free samples two fifteen minute paid coffeebreak in an eight hour shift. be one of the first people to know what's on sale for the next week.

I was a fulltime student when i worked in costco and they never allow a less than 5 shifts a week for highschool or upgrading students. they only have student particular shifts for college/university students.

once you've been hired the greater the probability to be rehired again.

Seniority culture is both a pro and a con.
Pros
seniority, benefits, good pay, many inside opportunities, opportunity to grow, could become a lifetime career
Cons
heavy, seniority
Costco is a very good place to work
Merchandiser & Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 January 2017
I enjoy most facets of my job with Costco.

A typical day includes physical labor as I work as an early morning (5:00am) merchandiser. This means that I am one of the first people in every day and am responsible for getting the business ready for open.

I have a management team that makes me feel part of a team. The majority of management I work with push me to do my best and promote my personal success. My co-workers are the best part of my job. They are genuinely good people who make my day even better.

The hardest part of my job can sometimes be the fast pace required on a daily basis. While most days are better than others, some require a great face lift on the way merchandise is presented due to the influx of new product or general wishes of management.
Pros
Free membership, benefits
Cons
Fast pace (occasionally), missed communication opportunities
Fast paced and customer (member) oriented work environment.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON15 December 2016
A typical day at Costco begins at 5am.The first 3 to 4 hours are very labour intensive.The floors have to be swept to remove all wood pieces from the floor that have been left behind from the forklifts moving skids of materials onto the floors all night.I probably walk 5 miles accomplishing this.It was tough at first,but now it has become routine with the benefit of feeling healthier as I have lost 15 lbs.The management is very appreciative of our hard work in getting the store ready for opening every morning and constantly thanks employees for doing a good job.Once the store is open I enjoy helping our customers locate items in this massive store that they cannot locate.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
working every weekend
fun environment where hard work and dedication are recognized
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2017
early mornings for stockers are easy to get used to, the workers and management are helpful and fair. good hard work was always recognized and praised. fast paced work means that as you are rarely working in the vicinity of others it is hard to get to know others on a personal level.
Pros
good and fair management, flexible shifts.
Cons
early mornings, short shifts
Fast pace but fun work place
Assistant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC15 January 2017
Although the beat you have to follow is very fast, it's easy to fall into a rhythm during a shift. The coworkers are all incredibly nice and helpful, while the management can seem a bit frigid and occasionally biased. Would not recommend if you're a student as the hours aren't incredibly flexible.
Pros
Free Membership Card, very good salary, friendly coworkers
Cons
Long hours, cold management
Great Benefits
Tire Centre Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON31 January 2017
Great benefits, but no work life balance and difficult to advance unless your willing to sacrifice your social and family life. Upper Management is only focused on producing numbers and making their bonus. Not much coaching and training and most managers don't have an education in the background that they're managing.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No Balance
Fun work place ,everyone is cooperative
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB16 February 2017
It was a nice experience working at Costco.Interacting with people on front end is an extensive experience.Being busy place time just flies. Job security and cooperation by management and coworkers is another good experience.Vacations provided by Costco and medical benefits are awesome.Pay rate is also good.
Great corporate culture and opportunities for advancement
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON15 July 2016
A typical day at work involves ensuring the cleanliness of the clothing area and interacting with coworkers to delegate responsibilities. I have learned the importance and effectiveness of teamwork in achieving goals. The management is very accommodating to the employees' needs and the coworkers very cooperative in and out of work. The hardest part of the job is the repetitive and unchallenging work while the most enjoyable part of the job is the employees and corporate culture.
Pros
Great corporate culture, opportunities for advancement, pay structure, job security
Cons
Repetitive unchallenging work
Too many Chiefs, not enough indians
Front End (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB1 June 2016
You only get ahead by being a brown nosing gossip. Hard work and honesty are not appreciated. Rude members are allowed to do or say anything to employees.

Some coworkers and most of management likes to gossip and spread stuff around.

The only really good thing about Costco and working there is the pay and the benefits.

Job is high stress and management needs a big overhaul, in fact the higher up you go the worse it is (for the most part). Most of the managers have no people skills.

Praise is rarely given, but mistakes are quick to be pointed out.

Saint John warehouse is full of sexism towards both men and women.

There are too many husband/wife, BF/GF couples and relatives working at this location and favouritism shows.

Work is very physical and requires lots of standing but overall not bad.

Work/life balance isn't great, good hours given to favourite employees.
Pros
Good pay, good benefits
Cons
see review, lots of these...
Fast Paced friendly environment
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 February 2017
Costco is a great place to work. They offer great competitive wages as well as lots of job opportunities and promotions with in the company. It is a fast paced environment with friendly staff and good management,
Sample food or other items from Costco Pwd on unpaid breakes only
Bakery/SSOP's (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON10 January 2017
* a typical day at work
- Well it's hard work it pays of at the end of the day when it is said and done

* what you learned
- To work around the others to avoid interference with your cleaning and their work and be collaborative team player with other duties responsibilities and etc...

* management
- Very well run place, looking after their employees needs as well as their customers

* your co-workers
- Most of your co-workers are helpful and understanding people are great to work with

* the hardest part of the job
- At times removing stubborn hardened flour as well as stains from the ovens and racks

* the most enjoyable part of the job
- When the work gets done and the smiles you get from the bakery manager and the management. Also sometimes when you assist customers needs as well
Pros
Very good pay. sometimes in the cafeteria free buffets
Cons
Seasonal
Fun Place to Work
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON31 January 2017
Great work environment, low starting pay, but you get steady raises the more hours you work. Great managers and co workers. I would recommend working here over any other retail job I have done.
Pros
Free membership, Steady Raises, Great Benefits and Bonuses
Cons
Hard to get hours as part time or seasonal
Great Company
Front End Assistant (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2017
Great Company to work for. Very nice compensation. I wish I could work there full-time. Management at my location was awesome! They trained me to cash in a few weeks after I started. Initially I was hired as a packer.
Customer Service / Membership Renewals (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 January 2017
Great place to work promising future but hard work. Good benefits and advancement opportunities.. Great team work and feeling work is family.
Pros
good Benefits
Cons
Hard Work
Great place to work, fun inviting atmosphere
Sales Auditor, Expense back up (Current Employee) –  Red Deer County, AB27 May 2016
Costco is a great place to work with good advancement, they have competitive salary and benefits, however it is difficult to maintain a full time position working in administration at Costco. I have learned how to work in an office environment, how to pay bills, audit sales, and work in the vault. My co workers are very pleasant people, the hardest part of my job is having to help out on the front end and pack groceries. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to fix mistakes and solve problems.
Pros
great hours
great place to work
Warehouse Laborer (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC3 January 2017
steady and secure job. nothing out of the ordinary , but great benefits. people are usually great as well. management is proactive on individual success along with the warehouse's success
Fair and Safe place to work.
Front End Cashier Assistant / Night Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Rocky View, AB27 January 2017
Very fair treatment to staff and very safe to work with very competitive benefits and has a lot of opportunity to upgrade your skills and get promoted fast.
Fast Paced Work Environment
Photo Centre Manager / Asst Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 December 2016
Working in a warehouse environment is fast paced, which I thrive off of, nothing better than always being on the go while you are helping others. Having a company with long term employees has pros and cons, it speaks volumes for the company when they are able to keep long term employees, their wages and benefits are a huge part of that, however many of those individuals have developed a sense of entitled which can be challenging at times to coop with. Being able to listen and understand how to balance multiple personalities is one of the greatest challenges as a manager.
Pros
Free Samples
Cons
Consistency

4.2