Costco Wholesale Employee Reviews

Worst company I have ever worked for
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 March 2017
Costco is by far the worst company to work for. It is filled with liars, back stabbers and people that will throw you under the bus to get ahead.
You can't trust any body there, people will pretend to be your friend just to stab you in the back to get ahead. They have a open door policy which they will use to get you to feel comfortable to talk to them but then they use it against you. Management is horrible. They call people that may be "slow" re**rd behind their backs. Do yourself a favor and don't apply there, it's not worth it!
Pros
Benifits...Thas about it.
Cons
MANAGEMENT...and other employees. To many other things to mention.
Great platform to learn about the industry
Membership Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
Its been a wonderful journey so far to be a part of one of the largest wholesale companies globally, great opportunity to learn in a fast paced organization which requires us to be multi-tasking. The most enjoyable part of this job is to meet people from all round which is something I love because of my outgoing personality. I love the management and enjoy their support in every day activities at work.
Pros
Great monetary and added benefits
Cons
Not a typical 9 to 5 job.
Productive and amazing place to work throughout university.
Produce Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON3 March 2017
Typical day would include managing sales floor, creating floor plans, interacting with members, driving sales and communicating with buying.

I've learnt several things about my self, how I work as a manager, what are my strengths and weaknesses.
-how to motivate various types of staff,
-facilitate personal and team growth by achieving goals
-extremely personal and work well with others

Culture is very family orientated, company takes care of employees.
Pros
Benefits, flexibility to move around departments
Cons
hours and working retails
Great Company
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON7 February 2017
Learned excellent customer service

Workplace was safe, and I never had any trouble with my coworkers

Being able to work different jobs with in the warehouse made the job interesting, always learning something new

CSRP Program is really good allowed me to be able to go to school and work during summer and winter breaks, and reading weeks.

When I was ready to work part time they switched me over and gave me hours, and when I needed to cut back on hours all I had to do was ask.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Good Management, Competitive Salary, Good Benefits
Extremely well maintained and enjoyable place to work
Front End Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON25 January 2017
Working as a front end assistant can be challenging at times. Knowing where the product is in the warehouse, and properly organizing the members items in the buggy. Making the connections with the members who come in on a regular basis, you learn what they tend to buy, and who their family and friends are. The management at Costco is very supportive of your future endeavours, whether they involve Costco or not. You almost create a family there.
Professional Warehouse Demo
Server (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 February 2017
We would set up for food samplings, clean area for customers. we would have a half hour break and be on our feet for 7.5 hours. it was an alright place in the beginning. But as time went on management was not always the greatest. their scheduling was never accurate, so if you thought you had a day off they would actually change the schedule on staff with out your knowledge. And everybody was a boss.
Pros
worked with my schooling
Fast paced work environment, co-workers and senior professionals are very helpful and knowledgable.
MARKETING ASSOCIATE (INTERNSHIP) (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 January 2017
I usually working on weekends due to my classes and other activities on weekdays. I started my day at the membership counter, attended department meetings and performing all over the week to complete the targets. Best part was the customer interaction. I am now more punctual, a good listener, and excellent problem solver.
Pros
Benefits and attractive salary
Cons
located outside the city
Stress free and great co-workers
Stocker (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 March 2017
I learned about the merchandise and equipment at Costco, I had the opportunity to train on the forklift and skud. The overall workplace is super friendly, my co-workers and supervisors were awesome to work and talk with. Management was very understanding about scheduling around school hours. Most enjoyable part of my job is working with my hands, lifting and feeling satisfied with how much I worked.
Great work environment
Commis au Service (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC14 March 2017
Costco is well known for it's multiple advancement options offered to it's staff based on their cultural value to promote from within which is great for their employees. This leads to a good overall motivation from their staff and also helps the process of making employees adopt your cultural values.
Pros
Advancement possibilities, Good security, good benefits
Cons
tasks can be somewhat uninteresting
Fast paced, Not to physically demanding
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 January 2017
I Learned a collection of skills such as:
- How to shrink wrap
- How to use both a cardboard and plastic compactor
- Stocking techniques such as 'facing' and rotation of perishables
- How to use a pallet jack in an efficient manner
- Importance of packaging light, soft items like bread and eggs on top of heavier items.

I also learned and was tested on a number of health risks and hazards when working with foods (raw meats especially), temperature control and the importance of a clean work environment.

While Performing non-essential duties I also learned about costumer importance to the store, and how every employee must always be vigilant to the idea that their behavior while working impacts Costco's reputation.
Pros
Friendly Work Environment, Co-Workers
Cons
Morning Shift
Fast pace but fun work place
Assistant Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC15 January 2017
Although the beat you have to follow is very fast, it's easy to fall into a rhythm during a shift. The coworkers are all incredibly nice and helpful, while the management can seem a bit frigid and occasionally biased. Would not recommend if you're a student as the hours aren't incredibly flexible.
Pros
Free Membership Card, very good salary, friendly coworkers
Cons
Long hours, cold management
Productive and fun. Well established and organized.
Service Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 January 2017
I loved the employment opportunity I had with Costco as a Seasonal staff member from Oct. '16 - Dec. '16.
Management has an open door policy and they are always approachable. I love working with the public. I would return there without doubt if I were given the opportunity. (Kitchener Store)
Pros
Staff, Management
Cons
Heavy lifting for long stretches of time.
fun environment where hard work and dedication are recognized
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 January 2017
early mornings for stockers are easy to get used to, the workers and management are helpful and fair. good hard work was always recognized and praised. fast paced work means that as you are rarely working in the vicinity of others it is hard to get to know others on a personal level.
Pros
good and fair management, flexible shifts.
Cons
early mornings, short shifts
Great Company
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS13 December 2016
I work very hard at Costco, I start early in the morning and my job is extremely physical and fast-paced. I have really amazing management, and they are very hard workers as well. They work right along side of us each day and they are great people, who lead by example.

The best part of each day is taking pride in a job well done and being appreciated for doing such hard work.

The hardest part of the day is the extremely physical demands of being a merchandiser.
Fast Paced Work Environment
Photo Centre Manager / Asst Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC8 December 2016
Working in a warehouse environment is fast paced, which I thrive off of, nothing better than always being on the go while you are helping others. Having a company with long term employees has pros and cons, it speaks volumes for the company when they are able to keep long term employees, their wages and benefits are a huge part of that, however many of those individuals have developed a sense of entitled which can be challenging at times to coop with. Being able to listen and understand how to balance multiple personalities is one of the greatest challenges as a manager.
Pros
Free Samples
Cons
Consistency
Friendly, fast paced, enjoyable work environment
Cashier/Parking Lot Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 January 2017
Working at Costco is very fast paced, energetic, and enjoyable. Most work is done independently or with few others. Work is supervised intermittently. Hours are very flexible and management is approachable, though with the large amount of employees, they often lose track of who is who.
Pros
Extra $4 per hour on sundays
Fast paced and customer (member) oriented work environment.
Maintenance Worker (Current Employee) –  Barrhaven, ON15 December 2016
A typical day at Costco begins at 5am.The first 3 to 4 hours are very labour intensive.The floors have to be swept to remove all wood pieces from the floor that have been left behind from the forklifts moving skids of materials onto the floors all night.I probably walk 5 miles accomplishing this.It was tough at first,but now it has become routine with the benefit of feeling healthier as I have lost 15 lbs.The management is very appreciative of our hard work in getting the store ready for opening every morning and constantly thanks employees for doing a good job.Once the store is open I enjoy helping our customers locate items in this massive store that they cannot locate.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
working every weekend
Great Benefits
Tire Centre Manager (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON31 January 2017
Great benefits, but no work life balance and difficult to advance unless your willing to sacrifice your social and family life. Upper Management is only focused on producing numbers and making their bonus. Not much coaching and training and most managers don't have an education in the background that they're managing.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
No Balance
Workplace friendly to employees and respectful of customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC31 January 2017
Costco is a great place where multitasking is key.

Being in one of the most difficult warehouse, various situations occur with time and employees are forced to learn to deal with them as time progresses.

This makes us perfect workers with experience dealing with stress and customer service.
Amazing place to work for.
Front End Packer/Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS4 January 2017
Costco was an amazing place to work for and I would recommend it to anybody. They have amazing pay raise opportunities, they pay 100 dollars a year for shoe vouchers, give away free turkeys at Christmas and give steady raises based on hours worked. They treat their employees well and are extremely fair to long-term employees regarding time off. An employee can earn up to 5 weeks vacation, depending on how long they have been working for the company, and make up to 25.00 an hour without becoming a manager. Costco also gives its employees a free executive membership, which lets them earn back on their purchases at the warehouse. There is also a yearly bonus for long-term employees.
Pros
Amazing staff, discounts, pay raises, yearly bonus
Cons
Too much gossip between managers and co workers, not enough managerial boundaries

4.2