Costco Pharmacy #1157
Address: 1075 St Albert Trail
St Albert, AB T8N 5Y3
Opening date: Oct 2013
Description of position:
Performs direct patient care; dispenses prescription medication and educates patients. Practices to the fullest extent of the expanded scope of pharmacy practice permitted by provincial regulations.
Daily tasks and responsibilities:
- Dispenses prescription medications and applies appropriate auxiliary labels.
- Checks prescriptions and over the counter medications for therapeutic appropriateness including but not limited to drug interactions allergies, contraindications, dose and frequency, and dosage form.
- Verifies prescriptions and refills with physicians by phone as needed and takes verbal prescriptions. Selects therapeutic substitutions when necessary.
- Obtains patient medical history and maintains confidential computer record.
- Collaborates with other health care professionals as necessary to identify and resolve drug therapy problems.
- Recruits patients for and conducts health and wellness clinic and documents interventions where permitted by provincial regulations.
- Adapts, extends, and modifies prescriptions as well as perform specific acts under the delegation or collaboration of a prescriber to the extent permitted by provincial regulations.
- Administers medications to patients by injection where permitted by provincial regulations
- Conducts full medication reviews, including but not limited to best possible medication histories and medication reconciliation and participates in medication therapy management and does patient follow-up to the extent permitted by provincial regulations
- Orders and communicates laboratory tests to the extent permitted by provincial regulations.
- Participates in a culture of patient safety by focusing on practices that reduce and eliminate prescription incidents as well as reporting and properly managing those incidents that do occur.
- Maintains professional competence through participation in a variety of continuing education initiatives and maintains required certifications in good standing.
- Educates patients on proper medication usage. Provides prompt and courteous patient care. Answers patient questions about over-the-counter medication and product location. Preserves patient confidentiality.
- Follows Costco Pharmacy’s policies, systems and procedure standards. Follows safety and security procedures.
- Acts as Pharmacist-In-Charge in the absence of the pharmacy manager and supervises pharmacy interns and students.
- This schedule may vary based on the needs of the business.
- Part time 25 hrs/week.
Qualifications (Costco-specific or industry-specific skills that candidates should possess):
- Education/Training: Bachelor of Science or Doctorate of Pharmacy required.
- Licenses/Certifications: Licensed Pharmacist in good standing in the province of work.
- Knowledge/Skills: Computer, math, patient care and member service skills required.
Indeed - 19 months ago