CoStar Group

CoStar Group Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
All about the sales
Territory Representative (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 16, 2014
Pros: commissions are strong
Cons: culture is good unless you are not hitting goals
Pure sales culture with a good training program. But if you can not sell do not apply.
Productive work place
Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: free food and beverages, a fair a mount of catered lunches and free apparel
Cons: very restricted work schedule with not much flexibility
A typical day consist of cold calling, visual demos and marketing sales consultations.

I have learned how the commercial real estate industry markets properties, and how commercial real estate professionals utilize data and analytic information to do their jobs.

My Co-workers are awesome.

The hardest part of my job is staying motivated. The position – more... allows for promotions, but the job doesn't really change and their isn't a lot of learning involved after a certain point.

I really like the people and the environment. – less
Great place to learn CRE
Research Associate II (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: good benefits, transportation pay, stocked kitchens, flexible hours.
Cons: micro management at times, little room for promotion.
CoStar provides great entry level opportunity for recent college graduates to learn the CRE industry.

The job requires willingness to speak on the phone through out the day and create relationships with contacts in order to obtain the information that goes into the CoStar product.

CoStar is a great place to learn who the players are in the industry – more... and to figure out just where you would like to fit in in the next chapter of your professional life. The natural next step is Brokerage, but you are introduced to investors, developers, institutional clients, appraisers, etc. – less
Competitive salary, oversaturated market, no competitors.
Account Executive (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCSeptember 3, 2014
Just opened an office in this area and hired 4 sales reps out of the get go. There isn't really another company that does what CoStar does to the extent that it does. Would really enjoy working with this company if the market wasn't so saturated. There isn't enough business to go around. As the only rep in a market, would be an awesome job.
ok place to work
Research Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 25, 2014
Not the best place to work but not the worst.
The management team does a lot of micro managing. The benefits are good and you can meet good people. Not many opportunities for advancement.
Freelance position, left pretty much alone.
Freelance Photographer (Former Employee), nationwideJuly 30, 2014
Pros: good money, plenty spare time if you can work fast
Cons: no security, lonely work.
Taken on as freelance to the business on a 14 month contract.
Work had to be submitted on time, but other than that we were left alone to do it on our own initiative.
It became quite clear that I was doing the "dregs" that the employed staff couldn't/wouldn't do.
The work dried up about 6 months before the end of the contract, which left me in a very – more... difficult position that I'm yet to recover from. Luckily the money was very good and if you had the time and energy it was quite possible to double the income.
Given the chance I'd go back tomorrow, just to top up the bank account. – less
Beautiful offices, great co-workers, superb benefits
Human Resources (Former Employee), DCJune 7, 2014
Pros: benefits, location, reputation
Cons: leadership
CoStar has a lot of great energy and people who want to make a difference. I would recommend this firm to new grads and anyone with a passion for CRE.
For a seasoned employee it is a difficult place to grow as it remains a flat organization. Really ask a lot of questions of interviewers before you commit. Enjoy the benefits and don't stay there too – more... long!!! – less
Great Company
Scheduling Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 22, 2014
Great Benefits - Great Company – more... - a good place to work
Great Benefits - Great Company - a good place to work – less
You are a number and expendable
Field Research Photographer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 20, 2014
Pros: good benefits, decent pay raises
Cons: ridiculous metrics that changed weekly, no job security, micromanaged
Was once a great job but became a metric and micro-managed cesspool. Large number of field staff were once laid off in a single conference call. Six months later they were rehiring those positions at starting wages....they'd hire you back but at the minimum pay for the position. So if you had been there 7 years and worked your way up in pay....well....you – more... get the picture. Very corporate ....little real concern for the overall stability and well being of staff.....always another person in need of a job.....NEXT! – less
Great first job, metric based goals make it hard to succeed.
Research Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 18, 2014
Pros: great office, location and free breakfast.
Cons: metric based goals, cold calling.
A typical day as a Research Associate at CoStar Group consists of calling through a portfolio of commercial real estate professionals to update their listing. CoStar offers a two week training program to teach the basics of the commercial real estate industry and how they want you to interact with the professionals you will be contacting. Management – more... seems to be handcuffed by directors and metric based goals that are set to keep researchers busy. Co-workers are the most enjoyable part of this position. Most everyone in the research associate role are 0-2 years out of college (because the turn over rate is so high). The hardest part of the job is cold calling and the metric based goals set by upper management. – less
CoStar Research Department Review
Market Research Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 3, 2014
The researcher's primary role is to be in contact with commercial real estate (CRE) professionals on a daily basis to make sure CoStar has the most timely information regarding current listings and the latest transnational reports including sales and lease data. Associates are pushed hard to collect this data, but they are also given a lot of support – more... from their managers and directors. The company has a robust continuing education program.

CoStar is a company that gives you resources to be successful. They give you six weeks of paid training upfront. After that it really is up to you. Everyone at the associate level works a 40 hour week. Overtime is sometimes authorized. That said, they expect you to be very efficient with your 40 hour work week. Work hard, and then go have fun after the work day is over at 5:30.

While the company is 25 years old, it maintains a youthful feel. Most of the research staff is in their early to mid 20's. Managers are in their late 20's to 30's, and directors 30,s to 40's. The multiple offices across the country are in some of the best office space to be found, Class A with lots of windows, and facilities.

Not everything is perfect at CoStar. There is a lot of turnover. Most of the turnover is positive attrition with many associates leaving to work in the CRE industry, and thus becoming ambassadors for CoStar. But the work can be routine (depending on how you view it) and some people get bored. But as a manager, I can tell you the one's who get bored are the one's who do the minimum every day. They don't commit significantly to their work. If you are interested in building relationships with people and helping them with their needs, this is not a problem.

Overall it is a collaborative environment. Competitive, but fun. We push hard, and compete, but we will always stop to help a coworker. – less
Great first job
Research Analyst (Former Employee), Bethesda, MDFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: nice office space
Cons: mind numbing
As with any opportunity, you’ll get out of it what you put into it.
Great benefits and compensation
Senior Account Executive - Sales and Marketing (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 22, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
• I cover parts of three states (OH, PA, & NY) for CoStar.
• I currently have 380 subscription accounts with professionals in the following verticals: Commercial Real Estate, Appraisers, Banks, Local Governments, Tax Appeal Attorneys, and Vendors. I brought aboard 120 accounts in last three years
• 96% Year to Year Retention Rate with new and existing – more... customers. – less
Great company
Account Executive/ Outside Sales (Current Employee), Seattle, WANovember 17, 2013
Great Company. They really take care of their employees. Wonderful place to work.
I worked with a great team.
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 14, 2013
Pros: good team
Cons: no benefits
I worked with a great team.
Very dependable.
The government employees were very nice, hard working people.
Terrible place to work
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 28, 2013
Costar is the worst company I ever work. Especially, with the Resolve team that was acquired by Costar a few years ago,just express interest in growing into higher positions and you will be marked for eviction.

These people just dont keep their words and adhere to values. if you find yourself with Resolve, get yourself ready for nosy supervisors who – more... will looking over your shoulders every minute and mark you for eviction when you get ambitous of growing – less
A ton of metrics to meet with little guidance
Research Associate (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 21, 2013
Pros: free food, gym, coworkers
Cons: manager, work metrics, morale, no clear picture
The only reason I enjoyed my job were the coworkers on my team. My team worked very hard yet it was never enough, we would produce more work than any other team yet constantly be told we need to work on this or that. There was no guidance from our manager, the director of our region was great and supported us.

Our manager would be out of work at least – more... once every two weeks, leading us to take on his projects. He would not take responsibility or stand up for us, yet when his back was against the wall it was expected that we rally 500%.

I would not recommend making this your first choice, but if you desperately need a job then I guess a few months here wouldn't hurt. The public perception of the company was hard to deal with as well, as many clients and people you interact with daily do not like dealing with them. – less
Typical Desk Job
Research Associate II (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2013
Pros: food in the break room
Cons: over worked under paid
Daily tasks are assigned along with projects from DC headquarters
Tenant Canvassing
Commercial Real Estate Research Intern (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTAugust 16, 2013
Pros: control of work schedule
Cons: maintaining complete self-motivation
Entered Tenant information into database after physically researching the commercial real estate site myself. I learned to keep myself focused and attentive at all times during work in order to reach my goals. I worked almost completely independently so the most difficult aspects of m job were ensuring I worked as efficiently as I could the whole time – more... I was working and on that same note I loved the freedom and the ability to be as productive as I allowed myself. – less
not a good place to work
Marketing Sales Associate (Former Employee), Washington DCJuly 22, 2013
Pros: nice facility, complimentary snacks, free yoga
Cons: your just a number
i was hired and fired in June 2012. I worked 3 weeks for this company as a Marketing Sales Associate. After three weeks they determined I was not fit enough to get the job done. if you have no other options then i guess you take their offer and go with it. if you have other options, stay away from this place.

About CoStar Group

CoStar Group, Inc. (NASDAQ — CSGP) CoStar Group (Nasdaq:CSGP) is commercial real estate's leading provider of information, – Read more