CoStar Group

CoStar Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very Nice
Initial Research (Former Employee), San Diego, CADecember 5, 2014
I had this greatest opportunity working here and will always appreciate it because there were too many fond remembrances in these 4 years.
Great work environment
Technical Support Team Leader (Current Employee), CADecember 4, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Employees are very approachable and friendly.
Fun environment including happy hours on Fridays and Buffet breakfast on Mondays.
Healthy environment. Fully stocked kitchen with fruits; granola bars; yogurts etc.and some offices includes built in gyms
Broken promises, NO job security, POOR management, HIGH expectations with NO Assistance, HIGH FAVORTISM
Advertising Consultant (Former Employee), CaliforniaDecember 3, 2014
Cons: micro manage, too corporate, daily conf calls, multiple reports daily, reps steal accounts, no comm w/ corp everything is email'd, have to account for every minute/everyday
Upon being hired I was painted this FABULOUS picture, told that it was this GREAT company to work for...as soon as CoStar purchased Apartments.com, things started to change...it became 110% corporate..nothing but #'s, reports, conference calls to the point you might as well have an ankle bracelet! Eventually we had to report to an office on Monday's....we – more... were hired as HOME OFFICE reps, not OFFICE reps!!!

My Regional lived over 2 hours away and didn't want to make the commute to assist me unless it benefit him (a party, visit someone HE knew etc.). He would only call when he was driving which would be hard to understand him on a speaker phone. TONS of favoritism as he would hire former employes that he managed from his previous job and he would hand them accounts stating they would "have a relationship with them"....

Everyone knows it takes 6 months to build relationships and I was just starting to make my sales and poof...I got released b/c my manager said I didn't "meet HIS standards" yet I met the company's goals..which for the record..CHANGED constantly! Even during my exit interview they stated that didn't sound like a valid reason. Regardless I am happy to be gone from that job. I woke up everyday with a knot in my throat.

I loved what I did. I enjoyed visiting my communities and absolutely LOVED meeting, talking and meeting with my clients. I still visit and go to lunch with several of them. They call and text me all the time. I have made so many good friends and will never forget them. Some of my co-workers and I have remained friends and others I do not care to ever hear from again. They sold in my territory and my Regional knew it was happening but he would never help me or stop it. I always felt he never wanted to see me succeed.

I don't recommend anyone to apply in the San Diego region as long as this regional is there. The job may be better in other regions as I believe a sales position is all dependent on their manager. Many other reps in other territories LOVE their job and are doing well b/c they have the support of a FABULOUS Regional! They still have all the reports, calls etc. But no office to report to!

Good Luck...not much money to be made as the territories are saturated with reps....and greedy reps...reps who steal your accounts.

*One last thing...don't expect to work 8 hr....minimum 12 hours days your first 4 months* – less
Costar
Research Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCOctober 30, 2014
Great place to begin your CRE career, decent pay, great benefits and a solid working environment
All about the sales
Territory Representative (Former Employee), Washington, DCOctober 16, 2014
Pros: commissions are strong
Cons: culture is good unless you are not hitting goals
Pure sales culture with a good training program. But if you can not sell do not apply.
Productive work place
Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: free food and beverages, a fair a mount of catered lunches and free apparel
Cons: very restricted work schedule with not much flexibility
A typical day consist of cold calling, visual demos and marketing sales consultations.

I have learned how the commercial real estate industry markets properties, and how commercial real estate professionals utilize data and analytic information to do their jobs.

My Co-workers are awesome.

The hardest part of my job is staying motivated. The position – more... allows for promotions, but the job doesn't really change and their isn't a lot of learning involved after a certain point.

I really like the people and the environment. – less
Great place to learn CRE
Research Associate II (Former Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2014
Pros: good benefits, transportation pay, stocked kitchens, flexible hours.
Cons: micro management at times, little room for promotion.
CoStar provides great entry level opportunity for recent college graduates to learn the CRE industry.

The job requires willingness to speak on the phone through out the day and create relationships with contacts in order to obtain the information that goes into the CoStar product.

CoStar is a great place to learn who the players are in the industry – more... and to figure out just where you would like to fit in in the next chapter of your professional life. The natural next step is Brokerage, but you are introduced to investors, developers, institutional clients, appraisers, etc. – less
Competitive salary, oversaturated market, no competitors.
Account Executive (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCSeptember 3, 2014
Just opened an office in this area and hired 4 sales reps out of the get go. There isn't really another company that does what CoStar does to the extent that it does. Would really enjoy working with this company if the market wasn't so saturated. There isn't enough business to go around. As the only rep in a market, would be an awesome job.
ok place to work
Research Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCAugust 25, 2014
Not the best place to work but not the worst.
The management team does a lot of micro managing. The benefits are good and you can meet good people. Not many opportunities for advancement.
Freelance position, left pretty much alone.
Freelance Photographer (Former Employee), nationwideJuly 30, 2014
Pros: good money, plenty spare time if you can work fast
Cons: no security, lonely work.
Taken on as freelance to the business on a 14 month contract.
Work had to be submitted on time, but other than that we were left alone to do it on our own initiative.
It became quite clear that I was doing the "dregs" that the employed staff couldn't/wouldn't do.
The work dried up about 6 months before the end of the contract, which left me in a very – more... difficult position that I'm yet to recover from. Luckily the money was very good and if you had the time and energy it was quite possible to double the income.
Given the chance I'd go back tomorrow, just to top up the bank account. – less
Beautiful offices, great co-workers, superb benefits
Human Resources (Former Employee), DCJune 7, 2014
Pros: benefits, location, reputation
Cons: leadership
CoStar has a lot of great energy and people who want to make a difference. I would recommend this firm to new grads and anyone with a passion for CRE.
For a seasoned employee it is a difficult place to grow as it remains a flat organization. Really ask a lot of questions of interviewers before you commit. Enjoy the benefits and don't stay there too – more... long!!! – less
Great Company
Scheduling Assistant (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 22, 2014
Great Benefits - Great Company – more... - a good place to work
Great Benefits - Great Company - a good place to work – less
You are a number and expendable
Field Research Photographer (Former Employee), San Francisco, CAApril 20, 2014
Pros: good benefits, decent pay raises
Cons: ridiculous metrics that changed weekly, no job security, micromanaged
Was once a great job but became a metric and micro-managed cesspool. Large number of field staff were once laid off in a single conference call. Six months later they were rehiring those positions at starting wages....they'd hire you back but at the minimum pay for the position. So if you had been there 7 years and worked your way up in pay....well....you – more... get the picture. Very corporate ....little real concern for the overall stability and well being of staff.....always another person in need of a job.....NEXT! – less
Great first job, metric based goals make it hard to succeed.
Research Associate (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 18, 2014
Pros: great office, location and free breakfast.
Cons: metric based goals, cold calling.
A typical day as a Research Associate at CoStar Group consists of calling through a portfolio of commercial real estate professionals to update their listing. CoStar offers a two week training program to teach the basics of the commercial real estate industry and how they want you to interact with the professionals you will be contacting. Management – more... seems to be handcuffed by directors and metric based goals that are set to keep researchers busy. Co-workers are the most enjoyable part of this position. Most everyone in the research associate role are 0-2 years out of college (because the turn over rate is so high). The hardest part of the job is cold calling and the metric based goals set by upper management. – less
CoStar Research Department Review
Market Research Manager (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 3, 2014
The researcher's primary role is to be in contact with commercial real estate (CRE) professionals on a daily basis to make sure CoStar has the most timely information regarding current listings and the latest transnational reports including sales and lease data. Associates are pushed hard to collect this data, but they are also given a lot of support – more... from their managers and directors. The company has a robust continuing education program.

CoStar is a company that gives you resources to be successful. They give you six weeks of paid training upfront. After that it really is up to you. Everyone at the associate level works a 40 hour week. Overtime is sometimes authorized. That said, they expect you to be very efficient with your 40 hour work week. Work hard, and then go have fun after the work day is over at 5:30.

While the company is 25 years old, it maintains a youthful feel. Most of the research staff is in their early to mid 20's. Managers are in their late 20's to 30's, and directors 30,s to 40's. The multiple offices across the country are in some of the best office space to be found, Class A with lots of windows, and facilities.

Not everything is perfect at CoStar. There is a lot of turnover. Most of the turnover is positive attrition with many associates leaving to work in the CRE industry, and thus becoming ambassadors for CoStar. But the work can be routine (depending on how you view it) and some people get bored. But as a manager, I can tell you the one's who get bored are the one's who do the minimum every day. They don't commit significantly to their work. If you are interested in building relationships with people and helping them with their needs, this is not a problem.

Overall it is a collaborative environment. Competitive, but fun. We push hard, and compete, but we will always stop to help a coworker. – less
BIGGEST MISTAKE I'VE EVER MADE
Territory Rep (Former Employee), Glendora, CADecember 3, 2013
Pros: food
I left a good compnay to work for CO-star whichm merged with Loopnet. This was the biggest mistake of my life. They lied about the position and how long people had worked there. Micro manage, the managers would scream at you for not getting the sale they felt you should of gotten. A sales is a Sale, what was the problem, I quit after 30 days of the – more... horror. Overall everyone I started with is leaving or have left. They changed the rules of the game. They tell you that your getting a 3 month guarantee but if you start in the middle of the month it's prorated. I don't know about the other locations but take my advice, DO NOT work for the Glendora location! If you have a job, please do not leave you job counting on this to be a start of a new career. If they make you an offer, make sure you go in a sit with someone to feel the job before accepting, If I had done this I still be with my other company. Just an overall bad experience and its put me in a very bad financial position leaving my previous employer to go to that death trap of a place. Now I have to start my career completely over. Such a joke.... high turnover – less
Great benefits and compensation
Senior Account Executive - Sales and Marketing (Current Employee), Washington, DCNovember 22, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: management
• I cover parts of three states (OH, PA, & NY) for CoStar.
• I currently have 380 subscription accounts with professionals in the following verticals: Commercial Real Estate, Appraisers, Banks, Local Governments, Tax Appeal Attorneys, and Vendors. I brought aboard 120 accounts in last three years
• 96% Year to Year Retention Rate with new and existing – more... customers. – less
Great company
Account Executive/ Outside Sales (Current Employee), Seattle, WANovember 17, 2013
Great Company. They really take care of their employees. Wonderful place to work.
I worked with a great team.
Consultant/Project Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 14, 2013
Pros: good team
Cons: no benefits
I worked with a great team.
Very dependable.
The government employees were very nice, hard working people.
Terrible place to work
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 28, 2013
Costar is the worst company I ever work. Especially, with the Resolve team that was acquired by Costar a few years ago,just express interest in growing into higher positions and you will be marked for eviction.

These people just dont keep their words and adhere to values. if you find yourself with Resolve, get yourself ready for nosy supervisors who – more... will looking over your shoulders every minute and mark you for eviction when you get ambitous of growing – less

About CoStar Group

CoStar Group, Inc. (NASDAQ — CSGP) CoStar Group (Nasdaq:CSGP) is commercial real estate's leading provider of information, – Read more