Cossette Employee Reviews

Great Culture
DIGITAL MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2017
There is a good balance of work hard play hard at the agency. It's packed with talent and amazing people. Things are kept light with ping pong tournaments or a round of pool. The range of clients helps to keep the work diverse and never boring.
Pros
Flexability
Cons
Long Hours
Idéalisation
infographie et idéation (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC23 May 2017
expérience de travail et premier stage en entreprise.
A fun place to work
Media Strategist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 October 2016
Cossette Media and Cossette overall has a great workplace environment with lounge space, a great patio and flexibility on bringing dogs into the office.

Life is better at Cossette Media if you work on one of their flagship brands as they tend to staff them more appropriately for the amount of work that exists.

At times it feels like Cossette Media is just along for the ride within the larger agency.

Overall it is a fun place to be but you will work hard and long for your paycheque that will be about average for the industry.
Pros
Great culture, neat location, friendly management
Cons
periodic long hours, don't retain top talent
Cossette
Brand Director (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 May 2016
- lack of training & support
- no work/life balance
- co-workers were friendly and generally nice but management and supervisors were only out for themselves
Great place to grow
Media Intern (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2016
Not a place to be if you don't have passion for an advertising industry.
Hours are flexible as long as you meet the requirements.
Fun, casual environment but a high turnover at all levels.
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2015
Long, long hours for anyone below VP level.

I didn't actually learn any new hard skills with this position, however on the soft skills side it was nice to collaborate with other EAs instead of being the sole agency assistant. The team of admins could work together and offer support, which was great because it is usually a such a thankless job. Unfortunately, the admins are greatly taken for granted by most (with a select few being the exception to the rule).

The company has had some growing pains with the sale to Blue Focus. Too much shuffling around of senior staff and a high turnover for everyone below. What Cossette could use, is a present and invested leader as well as some further investment (better educational initiatives, higher pay, etc.) in its present staffers.

It's not great for morale when senior staff "work from home" for half the week while people in their respective departments are working in-office until midnight.

There are a handful of VPs I hope to see promoted to even more prominent leadership positions at the Toronto office (people who lead their teams with integrity - I think they'd do great things), however I feel the highest level senior staffers are a bit out of touch with their teams and aren't that present.

Less senior staff experience a bit of a sink or swim atmosphere, they could definitely use more mentors. I think that would lead to less turnover overall.

The HR dept. is amazing and full of wonderful people who will support and listen to you if you have any questions or concerns.

Hardest part is a very real lack of work / life
  more... balance. Also, Liberty Village in the middle of winter is depressing.

Most enjoyable aspect is that you make a ton of very true friends, although they often leave for other agencies. It's the nature of the biz, though.
Pros
Free pop, coffee, tea. Fun coworkers. Great HR.
Cons
Long hours. Restructuring. Location.
Not all that its cracked up to be
PM (Former Employee) –  King Street On29 October 2015
Worked there on a contract with promise to go full time.
In the end I decided I didn't want the full time and told them no thanks. The money they were offering was way below pay grade and not worth the amount of time you would have to spend 12+ hours.

*** Lots of Politics***

Some of the accounts people were not very smart either, but there developers (which they are lucky to have) were amazing.

Bottom line: there are a lot of upper management (VP/Directors) that are getting paid to do nothing but sit in their big offices. They should be spending this money on talent and proper project managers and paying them well.

They did have some cool clients but other then that meh... There are many better agencies where a person with talent could work.
Pros
Free drinks in the fridge + parties
Cons
Salary / Accounts not Knowledable / Politics
Happy Creative Department
Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Liberty Village, Toronto5 February 2015
The best thing I can say about Cossette is that it inspires, motivates and retains its creative personnel very well. If you think of it, creative people are the engine of an ad agency. We had major accounts and plenty of them, and the challenges were high but manageable as I delegated projects evenly throughout the creative department.

Creative Directors led the efforts of the younger team members, and when support was needed, it was there. I saw a lot of hard work occurring daily.
Pros
Great space in Liberty Village, great culture, frequent get togethers
Cons
Not as exciting a job as producing had been.
Fantastic Place to Work
Media & Data Analytics Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2014
Great culture with entrepreneurial atmosphere that is second to none.
Pros
Flex Hours, No Corporate Structure, Bagel Mondays, Open Concept Office Space
Cons
Salaries Could be Higher, Competing against Advertising Behemonths
Dynamic, creative and fun place to work
Business analyst (Current Employee) –  Drummond, QC17 August 2014
Cossette is a great company where the meaning of work is not related to static and boring office work.

Cossette is one of the leading maketing and advertising company in North America and a great company where learning is never ending.

I have the opportunity to meet and work with intelligent and creative people in the digital marketing industry that make me grow as a digital business professional every day. I've been challenged and push to improve myself and I am grateful of it.

I enjoy every part of my job and responsibilities. My favorite activities are directly connected with the client. I love the preliminary analysis and business needs gathering. I like to understand the client and end user needs in order to improve the solution he or she is working with.

As this is the favorite part of my job, it is also the hardest and most challenging one because understanding the client needs is a complex activity. As some client do not always understand the technology they are working with, some do not necessarily understand their own needs or do not express them clearly which could lead to some misunderstanding.

The great thing about my job is that I have the chance to work with multidisciplinary teams (development, digital strategy, integration...) and to learn from each one of these stakeholders.

Another great opportunity is working on several projects and client at a time. This gives me the opportunity to earn on the specificity of diverse industries like insurance, cosmetics, pluming, rail transportation...

I am really passionate about my work and there
  more... is not a day that goes by without learning something new which makes it interesting every day.  less
Fast Paced and Challenging
Director, Account & Operation Financials (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 July 2014
Great Canadian based marketing and communications organization.
In a word: Soul Sucking
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto20 April 2014
Working at Cossette has been the worst 2+ years of my life. The place is a revolving door of talent and the company does little to keep anyone - no raises, no chance for advancement - they'd rather bring in outsiders than promote from within.

The pay is insulting, you're required to work overtime for free and the benefits do not make up the difference.

The clients are horrible, upper management is a joke (complete dinosaurs out of touch with current trends and devoid of any digital know how)

The only saving grace are the parties and copious amounts of free booze - they have to keep us liquored up so we don't realize how horrible everything is.

Can't wait to leave this place.
Pros
Free booze and lots of it
Cons
Long hours, weekend work - no overtime pay, no chance for advancement or raises
Beaucoup de travaille
Technicienne aux comptes payables (Former Employee) –  Montréal1 July 2012
C'est ce que j'aimais , que j'avais toujours quelques choses à faire.
Il n'y avait pas de temps morts.
Pros
belle place de travaille
Cons
pas d'avancements
Good ambience. Awesome people.
Media Payables Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 June 2012
I liked working at Cossette Communications because of the people and the ambience.
Pros
cold days lunch would be provided