Correctional Service of Canada Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKMay 31, 2016
Exceptional branch of government to work for, everyone was very accommodating and helpful during my contract. Staff assisted me with my job as best as they could.
Pros
Exceptional staff
Cons
So many positions
Looking for a Rewarding Career then Look Elsewhere
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Beaver Creek Insitution, Gravenhurst, ONMay 23, 2016
While the pay and benefits are second to none and the pension plan is considered the "gold" standard the job itself has very little rewards. In a typical day as a Correctional Officer you can be expected to conduct walks and counts of the Institution, conducting searches of physical spaces and offenders or in emergency situations responding to alarms. The work itself tends to get very boring and you will receive little help from Management who for the most part tend to be self serving and view Officers with disdain.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Cons
Can be boring, Shiftwork, Ineffective Management
secure employment at a cost
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Warkworth, ONMay 4, 2016
a great job in terms of security. staff cohesion is mediocre at times.
overall a toxic work environment in which you are constantly under stress and the threat of danger to your personal safety is a real and daily threat.
Pros
pay and job security
Cons
long hours and it sucks the life from your soul
The team was great and the cause even better
Aboriginal Program Officer (Current Employee) –  Bowden Institution Bowden AlbertaApril 11, 2016
Would work as a team to brainstorm how to better understand and create equity in the work place. Work with senior management to create and implement best practices in this area.
Pros
Great team, great cause
Cons
Timeframes sometimes.
Intense work environment
Investigations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONFebruary 1, 2016
Demanding work environment, lots of opportunity to learn new skills, great exposure to many different and challenging tasks,
Pros
some travel
Cons
reduced staffing due to budget claw-backs makes for more work with less staff, This should be a short term problem only
Very dissatisfied with that 3-month term work experience!! Horrible.
Assistant to the Assistant Warden Operations (Former Employee) –  Gravenhurst, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Very dysfunctional work environment. Serious deficiency in training new people, especially persons like myself who are entirely new to Corrections.
Pros
Pay and work hours
Cons
Highly stressful due to the lack of training and support
Great Learning Experience
Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJune 15, 2015
Learned a lot and found out that help desk is the right career path for me. Self improved picking up new skills and also got to meet a lot of interesting people.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Budget cuts
A good paying job but not a career
Primary Worker (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONOctober 17, 2014
great pay, okay benefits, good vacation time. Terrible management.
Web Designer
WEB DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  May, ONSeptember 12, 2014
Restructuring and updating Intranet site.
Creating interactive dashboards for the department.
Okay
Correctional Program Facilitator (Current Employee) –  EdmontonAugust 28, 2014
Excellent pay. Little opportunity for advancement for casual employees. Difficult to be employed full time.
Excellent career if you can handle being around very dangerous people
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SaskatchewanAugust 25, 2014
Started in 1995, have worked all levels of security across western Canada. Very secure career and you will never be laid off.
This career is for people that can deal with the worst in people, people that have no/little respect for you and would harm you if they could.
Pros
job security, excellent wage
Cons
shift work, dangerous environment
learning experience with staff and clients.
Shift Engineer/ Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Drumheller, ABJanuary 23, 2014
enjoyed every year. The Government is good to work for as it has the necessary supplies and equipment along with adequate budgets for important updates. Safety conscience and enjoyable working staff.
Pros
good benefits and stable working environment
Cons
lots of them lol
great place to work with a highly skilled work force
carpenter (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 17, 2013
learned something each day about carpentry from elder carpenters on site
Pros
great job
Cons
lay offs
Unique work environment with a great group of co-workers.
Storeskeeper (Former Employee) –  Grande Cache, ABMarch 15, 2013
The experience I had at CSC was great overall. The people were awesome and the environment taught me a lot about how I handle stressful situations.
A typical day at work included working with male offenders, a lot of collaboration with co-workers to ensure the same thing wasn't completed by different people (the environment in the warehouse was fast paced and required constant communication), and some work on the machines (forklift and other equipment).
Management was excellent, I always felt like I could come to them with problems and they laid out what was expected of me in an easy to understand manner. They also allowed me to come up with my own ideas of how I thought certain things needed to be done; I wasn't babied all the time throughout the day. The co-workers were also excellent; in an environment like a prison, communication and safety are key at all times. Everyone was friendly and I didn't feel alienated in any way, it was a very stress free and comfortable environment.
The hardest part of the job was definitely working with the male offenders. The first few months were difficult because I wasn't really sure what to expect and I wasn't sure how I should treat the offenders. Over time, I accepted the fact that I was the one in charge and learned how to exercise this right which increased my leadership skills. It was also uncomfortable for a month or two because it is a high risk work environment and it took a while to feel safe. I also gained my forklift license there so I learned how to operate a forklift.
The most enjoyable part of the job was running the equipment.
  more... Once I learned how to do it properly I felt empowered. Many of the jobs that needed to be completed at the warehouse required the use of some come kind equipment, so once I gained the knowledge on how to use the equipment I felt like a more important of the team.  less
Pros
work hours (8-4), free forklift operators lisence, invaluable experiance
Cons
high risk environment
If you like having no friends and a lot of ex wives
Correctional officer (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 4, 2013
If you like being scared to go into public, having to lie about where you work, will do anything for money; this is an excellent job for you

You have to marry into supervisor positions, or be a brown noser to get a promotion.

It is better to be in there, than it is to work there
Pros
sit on your butt for 13.75 hour shifts
Cons
constant complaining and stress
dangerous but fufilling
Correctional Officer/Manager (Former Employee) –  Mission, BCFebruary 22, 2013
managing staff offenders and visitors
a lot about how people behave
senior management and middle management worked well together
very dependable and trustworthy
seeing someone get injured and seeing the victims
my staff
Pros
keeping the public safe
Cons
shiftwork
Demanding job with strict deadlines
Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJanuary 25, 2013
As a Parole Officer with Corrections, you will have excellent hours, benefits and pay.

The job is very demanding with no value given to innovative or outside-the-box thinking. You will conform, that's all there is to it. Your ideas for change will not be utilized. A pretty negative culture all-round.

I was lucky to have supervisors who did appreciate the high level of effort and discipline I put into my work.
hectic, challenging, interesting, demanding, fulfilling work
retired from being an institutional Parole Officer (Former Employee) –  Agassiz, BCNovember 14, 2012
You must maintain confidentiality for your clients, the inmates. You must maintain a respectful demeanor with the clients, as well as to your managers. You must be able to communicate effectively, not only with inmates who are not well educated or socially adept, but also with supervisors, managers, Wardens, the public, the National Parole Board, etc. You must maintain sensitivity for victims and the public, as well as to inmate needs. You must understand families in distress, as well as the criminal justice system and the legal acts and laws of Canada. You must be able to work with lawyers, parole board members, other CSC employees (doctors, nurses, program officers, trades personnel, clerks, managers, chaplaincy, etc.). You must have reports done on time and you must ensure you have reflected a good analysis of the inmate's case, since you are recommending such things as conditional release to the parole board, or transfer to minimum security to the Warden of the sending institution. The job has always been extremely interesting and challenging - never a dull moment, whether working directly with inmates or working as an Executive Assistant for the Warden, or with Incident Investigations. The work has always been hectic and you must manage your time effectively, as the work is often very time sensitive. You must also be able to justify your analysis and why you are doing what you are doing. There is a lot of team work involved, as this type of work depends on many other staff being around you as well. You must be able to work with unruly and often dangerous persons, including  more... deviant offenders, murderers, the mentally ill, and the addicted.  less
Pros
it was what i studied in university and was interested in pursuing as a career.
Cons
there was considerable unpredictability in dealing with dangerous persons.
Stressful and confrontational enviroment
Correctional Officer II Kent Institution (Current Employee) –  BCSeptember 29, 2012
Very good pay and benefits, but very stressful and confrontational environment. Constant conflict and very negative management support.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
negative enviroment
Agreable
Internship (Former Employee) –  Laval, QCNovember 19, 2013
Travail exigeant mentallement, Aider les detenus a se rehabiliter en les apprenant les aptitudes de vie en communauté
Pros
sentiment d'aider les autres
Cons
fatiguant

4.4