Correctional Service of Canada

Correctional Service of Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Web Designer
WEB DESIGNER (Former Employee), May, ONSeptember 12, 2014
Restructuring and updating Intranet site.
Creating interactive dashboards for the department.
Okay
Correctional Program Facilitator (Current Employee), EdmontonAugust 28, 2014
Excellent pay. Little opportunity for advancement for casual employees. Difficult to be employed full time.
Excellent career if you can handle being around very dangerous people
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Prince Albert, SaskatchewanAugust 25, 2014
Pros: job security, excellent wage
Cons: shift work, dangerous environment
Started in 1995, have worked all levels of security across western Canada. Very secure career and you will never be laid off.
This career is for people that can deal with the worst in people, people that have no/little respect for you and would harm you if they could.
learning experience with staff and clients.
Shift Engineer/ Maintenance Engineer (Former Employee), Drumheller, ABJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: good benefits and stable working environment
Cons: lots of them lol
enjoyed every year. The Government is good to work for as it has the necessary supplies and equipment along with adequate budgets for important updates. Safety conscience and enjoyable working staff.
great place to work with a highly skilled work force
carpenter (Former Employee), Kingston, ONApril 17, 2013
Pros: great job
Cons: lay offs
learned something each day about carpentry from elder carpenters on site
Unique work environment with a great group of co-workers.
Storeskeeper (Former Employee), Grande Cache, ABMarch 15, 2013
Pros: work hours (8-4), free forklift operators lisence, invaluable experiance
Cons: high risk environment
The experience I had at CSC was great overall. The people were awesome and the environment taught me a lot about how I handle stressful situations.
A typical day at work included working with male offenders, a lot of collaboration with co-workers to ensure the same thing wasn't completed by different people (the environment in the warehouse was fast – more... paced and required constant communication), and some work on the machines (forklift and other equipment).
Management was excellent, I always felt like I could come to them with problems and they laid out what was expected of me in an easy to understand manner. They also allowed me to come up with my own ideas of how I thought certain things needed to be done; I wasn't babied all the time throughout the day. The co-workers were also excellent; in an environment like a prison, communication and safety are key at all times. Everyone was friendly and I didn't feel alienated in any way, it was a very stress free and comfortable environment.
The hardest part of the job was definitely working with the male offenders. The first few months were difficult because I wasn't really sure what to expect and I wasn't sure how I should treat the offenders. Over time, I accepted the fact that I was the one in charge and learned how to exercise this right which increased my leadership skills. It was also uncomfortable for a month or two because it is a high risk work environment and it took a while to feel safe. I also gained my forklift license there so I learned how to operate a forklift.
The most enjoyable part of the job was running the equipment. Once I learned how to do it properly I felt empowered. Many of the jobs that needed to be completed at the warehouse required the use of some come kind equipment, so once I gained the knowledge on how to use the equipment I felt like a more important of the team. – less
If you like having no friends and a lot of ex wives
Correctional officer (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 4, 2013
Pros: sit on your butt for 13.75 hour shifts
Cons: constant complaining and stress
If you like being scared to go into public, having to lie about where you work, will do anything for money; this is an excellent job for you

You have to marry into supervisor positions, or be a brown noser to get a promotion.

It is better to be in there, than it is to work there
dangerous but fufilling
Correctional Officer/Manager (Former Employee), Mission, BCFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: keeping the public safe
Cons: shiftwork
managing staff offenders and visitors
a lot about how people behave
senior management and middle management worked well together
very dependable and trustworthy
seeing someone get injured and seeing the victims
my staff
Demanding job with strict deadlines
Parole Officer (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 25, 2013
As a Parole Officer with Corrections, you will have excellent hours, benefits and pay.

The job is very demanding with no value given to innovative or outside-the-box thinking. You will conform, that's all there is to it. Your ideas for change will not be utilized. A pretty negative culture all-round.

I was lucky to have supervisors who did appreciate – more... the high level of effort and discipline I put into my work. – less
hectic, challenging, interesting, demanding, fulfilling work
retired from being an institutional Parole Officer (Former Employee), Agassiz, BCNovember 14, 2012
Pros: it was what i studied in university and was interested in pursuing as a career.
Cons: there was considerable unpredictability in dealing with dangerous persons.
You must maintain confidentiality for your clients, the inmates. You must maintain a respectful demeanor with the clients, as well as to your managers. You must be able to communicate effectively, not only with inmates who are not well educated or socially adept, but also with supervisors, managers, Wardens, the public, the National Parole Board, etc. – more... You must maintain sensitivity for victims and the public, as well as to inmate needs. You must understand families in distress, as well as the criminal justice system and the legal acts and laws of Canada. You must be able to work with lawyers, parole board members, other CSC employees (doctors, nurses, program officers, trades personnel, clerks, managers, chaplaincy, etc.). You must have reports done on time and you must ensure you have reflected a good analysis of the inmate's case, since you are recommending such things as conditional release to the parole board, or transfer to minimum security to the Warden of the sending institution. The job has always been extremely interesting and challenging - never a dull moment, whether working directly with inmates or working as an Executive Assistant for the Warden, or with Incident Investigations. The work has always been hectic and you must manage your time effectively, as the work is often very time sensitive. You must also be able to justify your analysis and why you are doing what you are doing. There is a lot of team work involved, as this type of work depends on many other staff being around you as well. You must be able to work with unruly and often dangerous persons, including deviant offenders, murderers, the mentally ill, and the addicted. – less
Stressful and confrontational enviroment
Correctional Officer II Kent Institution (Current Employee), BCSeptember 29, 2012
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: negative enviroment
Very good pay and benefits, but very stressful and confrontational environment. Constant conflict and very negative management support.
Agreable
Internship (Former Employee), Laval, QCNovember 19, 2013
Pros: sentiment d'aider les autres
Cons: fatiguant
Travail exigeant mentallement, Aider les detenus a se rehabiliter en les apprenant les aptitudes de vie en communauté