Core Laboratories Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Hard work with minimal apprecciation from any supervisor or manager
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 7, 2015
Lots of heavy lifting and hard work is required, but supervisors and/ or management would not commend it the majority of the time because they are never around. I actually enjoyed my job with this company but was absolutely stunned by how little attention they pay to their employees. No matter how hard you work or how bad you wanted to move up in the company they would ignore your requests, and make promises to you about advancement seemingly just to keep you quiet. I did like my job with this company, but since my superiors weren't around to notice who does what and which people are the most effective employees, it did not help to secure confidence within any of us in this company.
Great working environment, friendly staff,
Laboratory technician (Former Employee), 2810 12 street neJuly 7, 2014
I think the supervisor was a really great person, it was a very safe place to work and they where really appreciative to workers
Unprofessional and disorganized
Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary / EdmontonMay 24, 2014
Pros: learning and travel experience
Cons: poor safety standards, hazardous environment, bad management, low pay
Technicians and Engineers wait for calls to varying sites around Alberta and sometimes abroad (Africa, Middle East, etc.) and a person could be away for weeks or months in a row without notice. Work involves staying on rig sites for lengthy periods of time, which could amount to 5-6 days in a row WITHOUT SLEEP except for a few quick naps here and there in a truck with same clothes on, even though camp accommodation is provided you'll miss the bed as there is no way you return to camp. Immediately after completing the task you are asked to go to another rig site under a state of extreme fatigue, – more... malnutrition and serious lack of hygiene.

The working groups are unprofessional, unethical, they swear and curse each other openly and the environment is disappointing. Management is distant from the rest, usually everyone interacts with one person only and they have no clue who the rest are. Backstabbing is the norm, jealousy is in the air all the time.

The hardest part of the job is the extreme cold or heat that you work under, with the lack of sleep that could be for days, with the greatest risk of an accident (someone already died in a car crash at the company a few years ago), bad co-workers and extremely poor life-work balance. EXTREMELY POOR SAFETY STANDARDS.

Since work was seasonal, me and a few of my colleagues (70%) of the team quit all at once because we didn't get any jobs for months in a row with only a base salary. That's why this company seeks new graduates DESPARATE for work and makes them work HAAAAAARD in order to get what they can before hiring newer people the next season.

The most enjoyable part of the job, let's be fair, is technology itself. You'll learn about downhole sensor systems, but not so much in depth. Basically you're as good as an installer when it comes to gaining skills. Finally, they pay a base salary (very low one) and a field bonus (quite fair, at the cost of great effort) and the opportunities to travel around the world (to poor and war torn countries with oil and gas exploration opportunities). – less
Specific and routine work, very less challenging
Lab Technologist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 4, 2012
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: temporary position
Had nice people to work with, had a lot of stress but never been boring.