Core Laboratories

Core Laboratories Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Unprofessional and disorganized
Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary / EdmontonMay 24, 2014
Pros: learning and travel experience
Cons: poor safety standards, hazardous environment, bad management, low pay
Technicians and Engineers wait for calls to varying sites around Alberta and sometimes abroad (Africa, Middle East, etc.) and a person could be away for weeks or months in a row without notice. Work involves staying on rig sites for lengthy periods of time, which could amount to 5-6 days in a row WITHOUT SLEEP except for a few quick naps here and there – more... in a truck with same clothes on, even though camp accommodation is provided you'll miss the bed as there is no way you return to camp. Immediately after completing the task you are asked to go to another rig site under a state of extreme fatigue, malnutrition and serious lack of hygiene.

The working groups are unprofessional, unethical, they swear and curse each other openly and the environment is disappointing. Management is distant from the rest, usually everyone interacts with one person only and they have no clue who the rest are. Backstabbing is the norm, jealousy is in the air all the time.

The hardest part of the job is the extreme cold or heat that you work under, with the lack of sleep that could be for days, with the greatest risk of an accident (someone already died in a car crash at the company a few years ago), bad co-workers and extremely poor life-work balance. EXTREMELY POOR SAFETY STANDARDS.

Since work was seasonal, me and a few of my colleagues (70%) of the team quit all at once because we didn't get any jobs for months in a row with only a base salary. That's why this company seeks new graduates DESPARATE for work and makes them work HAAAAAARD in order to get what they can before hiring newer people the next season.

The most enjoyable part of the job, let's be fair, is technology itself. You'll learn about downhole sensor systems, but not so much in depth. Basically you're as good as an installer when it comes to gaining skills. Finally, they pay a base salary (very low one) and a field bonus (quite fair, at the cost of great effort) and the opportunities to travel around the world (to poor and war torn countries with oil and gas exploration opportunities). – less
Specific and routine work, very less challenging
Lab Technologist (Current Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 4, 2012
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: temporary position
Had nice people to work with, had a lot of stress but never been boring.
Understanding basic Routine Core Analysis
Internship (Former Employee), KuwaitAugust 31, 2014
The CoreLab internship was a 3 week familiarization and training program on Coring, Core Description and Rock Typing. A typical day included working and understand the different types of Rcal methods given below. It involved on-the-job training on core handling such as core-to-log depth shift estimation, core preservation, labeling, slabbing, plugging, – more... solvent cleaning & drying as well as routine core analysis which included Spectral Gamma Logging, and measurement of plugs’ grain density, helium porosity, and permeability via Core Measurement System. The management, as the co-workers, was incredibly friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job was to understand the concepts of measuring poro-perm which hadn't been studied at the time. The most enjoyable part was the hands on experience gained in every measurement methodology. – less
stable company
Business Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 20, 2014
Enjoyed working at Core Lab. The reason I left was due to relocating from TX to OK.
enjoyable
Lab Analyst (Former Employee), Shah Alam, M10July 7, 2014
Pros: yes
Cons: yes
Overall I've learn how to manage people base on diffrent critiria
Improve my life style througt management.Better knowlegde.
Managerial favoritism
Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Houston, TXMay 2, 2014
Pros: location close to my house
Cons: see above
The management in the Consolidations department showed constant favoritism to the employee of the same race and gender as the manager - even going so far as to supply the other employee with lunches and hold 'private' meetings in their native language (not English). The favored employee would also be allowed to sit in the manager's office for multiple – more... days per month and review the work of others, while the other team member would have to complete to work of the favored employee. – less
A good job for a recent graduate
Core Analyst (Former Employee), Denver, CONovember 20, 2013
Pros: travel
Cons: job security, healthcare, no benefits
A typical day in the lab would consist of gathering data from rock samples, processing and organizing those samples, and entering data.
A typical day in the field would consist of driving long distances at random hours, heavy manual labor collecting core from well sites, and driving it back to Denver.

I learned a lot about the oil and gas industry, – more... especially in regards to rig operations. Scientific theories, measurements, and procedures were good takeaways as well.

The management at the Denver branch could use some improvement. All new employees come from a staffing agency, and after they are fully trained they refuse to hire most in order to save money on benefits, taxes, etc. However, there are a few managers that have a ton of responsibility and handle it well.

The hardest part of the job was being away from home 75% of the time. However, this is the only way to make the job fiscally logical as the pay increases to an appropriate amount while in the field.

I really enjoyed getting to see new parts of the country, and the other employees were great people. – less
Fun work atmosphere with great co-workers
Lab Technician core analyst (Current Employee), Denver, CONovember 5, 2013
Pros: i like everyone i work with
Cons: currently temporary employment status, little to no notification of field work, away from home long periods of time
My typical day:
Observe running samples and base future tests off of what has been and needs to be ran. Based on that information, I would unload sample cells and load sample cells with either the sample or the standard that would correlate to the given sample. After which I would go through the start-up procedure to start the test. If sample is not – more... in the form in which is needed, sample preparation would be required.

Being my first job out of college I have learned how to work in a professional environment and have professional relationships.

The management that I have worked with has been great at the supervisor level. The higher levels of management is lacking in a definitive plan or direction in which the company should go, therefore affecting the employees and their status with the company.

The hardest part of my job would be the lack of benefits. Being though a staffing agency for duration of my employment has kept me from earning PTO or health care through Corelab. Another difficult part of my job is having to be ready to leave at a moments notice, always, and being gone an extended amount of time.

The most enjoyable part of my job would definitely be the people I work with. We are all around the same age and have much in common and have been able to share ideas about work that generally improve the quality of work or working conditions. – less
Very fun and safety oriented place to work.
Supervisor (Former Employee), Godley, TXNovember 5, 2013
Pros: training, great working environment.
Cons: no cons
Worked with explosives every day. Co-workers always looked out for one another with safety in mind.
Professional Workplace
Oilfield Supervisor (Current Employee), Midland, TXJuly 26, 2013
Pros: great money
Cons: long work hours
Always learning new things, Make a difference, always follow safety procedures.
Workplace
Analyst (Former Employee), TexasJuly 19, 2013
Pros: steady work, some very knowledgeable technical managers
Cons: no life work balance, advancement opportunity not always based on skill, little - no work culture
If one is dedicated, inspired and overachieving, plan to go nowhere unless you are one of the "chosen". As an experienced analyst, one can spend a mininmum of 40-70 hours in the lab, depending on lab staffing and projects. Expect NO life & work balance unless you are in a managment role, Bottom line: Many many managers, void of leaders...
Productive, Interesting and Informative
Trainee Geologist (Former Employee), Karachi. PakistanApril 21, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: short break, medicle.
Software and other things
Good Management
Good Co workers
Nothing hard
i enjoyed every part of it
Poor Management and a bad work environment.
Manufacturing Technician II (Current Employee), Tulsa, OkJanuary 30, 2013
Pros: hard to find any pros with this company unless you are one of the chosen favorites.
Cons: poor pay, poor benefits and a lack of any organization as a company.
If you want to work for a place that has poor or no management and zero communication between departments then this is the place for you. Also find it hard to believe they are an equal opportunity employer when certain employees have their own special company policies to accommodate them only, allowing them to work schedules others aren't allowed to. – more... Along with paying them for living expenses every month as others get nothing. Corporate seems to not be able to pay vendors with any regularity causing necessary parts to not be delivered on time. This results in their inability to deliver products to their customers within the expected timeframes. – less
Great teamwork environment.
Technical Sales Representative (Former Employee), Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2013
Pros: keep your own schedule
Cons: company locations across town from one another
Leader in the highly competitive petroleum analytical lab field. Prospective clients knew of Core's reputation and made my sales job easier. Lab analysis quality was very good and capabilities wide-ranging.
Planning and chairing the annual client problem-solving meeting was the most fun.
Those Texans love moving herds.
Core Analyst (Former Employee), Denver, COJanuary 26, 2013
Pros: nice per diem while on the road and a lot of overtime.
Cons: no advancement or work-life balance.
This is a great job for someone that is looking to make quick money in a short period, but you will find yourself training employees that are going to replace you as you replaced the people that trained you. Only half of the people that were there when I started stayed around. They have very high turnover and will work you through a temp agency for – more... years if you let them. I worked there for 10 months and my final straw was that I was training new employees for them and still working through the temp agency. This should never happen. – less
Unpredicable job
Core Analyst I (Former Employee), New Orleans, LAJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: healthcare
Various degrees of busy/slow periods, making the job unpredictable and chaotic. Long hours into the morning left me with little time for a life outside of work.
Tracer jobs not worth the pay
Field Rep 1 (Former Employee), Sidney,MtDecember 11, 2012
Pros: company vehicle, food reimbursment and mostly good coworkers
Cons: sleep in your truck, pay is not inline with hours, coordinator acts like he runs the district
I was a tracer in Sidney,Mt for over a year. when I got interviewed I knew for a time , long hours were the norm.Nothing changed in a year and a half when we still averaged 400 hours a month no matter how many tech they hired. You sleep in your truck for 7-10 days regularly and personal hygeine,forget it. The coordinator would only want you when he – more... knew youd be done to ship you to the next job with little or no time off between jobs. The coordinators son even works there and the coordinator regullates the jobs you do and thereby controls your "bonus"pay. Can anyone say nepotism? Funny how management in Texas doesn't care about these things.When work finally slowed down this year , instead of allowing you time to recuperate they starting sending us to other districts to do jobs and if you didnt go they said you quit!! – less
Poor Management? more like NO MANAGEMENT!!
Lab Technician (Former Employee), TexasNovember 7, 2012
Pros: brand new facility
Cons: poor management
I worked in the lab at a Texas location. There were 3 managers, 2 supervisors, and 2 employees during the day shift. At night and on weekends, it was only 2 employees. When something went wrong, or something came up we were tolded to "Call Someone". Leaving messages at 2:30 a.m. while the customer waits is just unheard of!

The Manager/Supervisors are – more... supposed to go over the test results PRIOR to them being sent out. This simply does not happen at night or on weekends.

Too many problems to list. it's one thing to deal with issues that arise, and another to ignore them week after week. The same problems week after week, day after day and nothing gets done about it. I couldn't take it anymore!! – less
Bad benefits, poor work environment
Core Analyst (Current Employee), HoustonOctober 3, 2012
Pros: overcrowded building
Cons: too many to list
What kind of company would reduce their employees sick time and vacation company wide? A very poorly managed dead end company like Core Labs. For a company that's coming out of its most profitable year in history that's one cheapskate move that says "We don't care about our employees".

October 6, 2012

Corelab has gone from a traditional model with sick time and vacation as separate pools of time to draw from, to a paid time-off model. With paid time-off you actually get an increase in the amount of days allotted to you, and you don't have to feign illness to use them. Everyone across the board received a boast in their PTO and your exact PTO depends on your seniority or whether your salaried or not. In my case (2.5 yrs, salary) I actually received an additional 11 days of PTO! So my vacation in essence went from 10 days to 21 days! I don't know about you, but a month of vacation rocks! People who call in sick all the time are upset about these changes because these type of people typically use sick-time as paid time off. Now everyone must draw their first two days from the PTO bank before they can start drawing from their sick bank. If your not the type of person who calls in every Moday, a paid-time off model is awesome. You get to keep that bank of time and use it however you like. And yes, there is an extended illness bank for times when people are truly ill for long periods of time.

Research Lab.
MAINTENANCE WORKER (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 31, 2012
Reseach on fuel,water ,oil, dirty,fat etc.etc. pickup and deliver to clients before deaqd line.