Convergys

5.4K reviews

Convergys Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Best part of job was coworkers and benefits
Customer Service Representative inbound (Former Employee), New Glasgow, NSSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: always being asked "What could you have done better"
Working at a call centre is VERY stressful, finding information for callers as quickly as possible. Typical day at work was going on the phone and taking one call right after the other. Being on the phone and constantly being timed for everything and also being recorded is hard. I enjoy helping people but definitely did not like getting penalized by their point system (which supposedly resulted in what shift and any bonuses I was eligible for) when I took the time to resolve the issue. Many times I was told I could have/should have done it faster...and that seemed to be the focus, not that I resolved the issue or gave out accurate information, but how quickly I was able to do it. The hardest part of the job wasn't in fact helping those who called, it was being reviewed and the pat phrase used by all managers was "What could you have done better?" so you are always feeling your best was never good enough. My co-workers were great tho and tried to help when needed,although they were also busy trying to meet their own metrics, and they did help relieve some of the stress. The benefits were really good tho, that is one thing I will say, as we had prescription, dental, vision, and things like massage therapy etc. Most companies seem to hire for part time and don't provide any benefits, so that was definitely a plus. I did learn that I can multi-task and handle using all kinds of different programs and could use my knowledge to find a 'back way' of finding information whenever one system didn't work. I also learned that I can be very polite and helpful on the phone even when – more... the person on the line is being rude, nasty and taking out their frustrations on me, so I guess I have more patience than I thought I did. The most enjoyable part of the job was those times when a caller had called a few times with unsatisfactory results and I was able to turn things around,get them the correct information, have their claim paid and actually take the time to resolve their issues for them....It is very satisfying to know I was able to have them get off the phone feeling happy they got me on the other side of the phone to help them. And my co-workers definitely made a huge difference. – less
Relaxed work environment, full of positive and friendly people.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Welland, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Pros: Very laid back, calm setting.
Cons: Siting in a chair all day.
A typical work day, starts with getting all your tools and programs set up on the computer. Once it's time for your shift to begin, we log into our phones ans start taking calls.

A lot of the calls are the same because we are dealing with strictly cell phones, but they're different in their own way. You will get the occasional irate customer, but many times you will find yourself and the customer laughing together.

My time at Convergys has taught me a lot about cell phone functions, various plans and promotions, how to manage talking to a customer while also working on two different computer screens. They teach you how to handle and react when someone is irate. They're training program makes you very confident in explaining how to operate a device or how to explain an account change.

The co-workers at Convergys are very fun and easy going. The work place is always filled with laughter, however it's still in a professional manner. Everyone is very friendly, and you find yourself making friends very quickly.

The hardest part of the job would have to be when you have an upset customer who is difficult to calm down and to help. I've experienced many customers who were upset with what was happening with their phone and ultimately their first reaction is to get upset, and with good reason, since they are paying for our services. It can be hard to maintain that professional tone, and to stay calm yourself. If you're having a hard time with the call, management is happy to step in and help you.

The most enjoyable part of the job is talking to people all over the – more... United States. You hear new accents, sometimes a customer will tell you about their day. I've had many calls where once their issue was solved, they then just wanted to talk. It may be over the phone but you definitely meet a lot of new and great people. I find myself always smiling and laughing along with the customer. It makes the job easier and it's nice to have that connection with someone, even if it is brief. – less
Long term job with minimal pay in over the phone customer relations
Customer Services Agent (Current Employee), Chilliwack, BCJanuary 18, 2016
Pros: Making people happy, the co-workers
Cons: Tough to constantly reach stats, low pay
When you come to work, all you mostly do is answer phones and questions from customers calling in with concerns or issues. They teach you all the resources you need and show you where to find answers for other questions that may be asked. The on-the-floor management team is great and usually do their best to make it a less-stressed work environment. The pay is on the low end of the spectrum compared to other companies who have their representatives in same or similar positions. In the limited amounts of time you are able to talk to your co-workers, you can end up making long term friendships since there is nothing else to do except talk and type notes.

The hardest part of working is constant pressure from the constant calls coming in and only able to breath during breaks and lunch while at work. There is very limited time to get extra training, check for updates/changes to the system, or even to finish notes after a call. If you are in constant que (or have constant calls waiting), you are unable to do these items and at times it might be days, or even weeks, before you have time to catch up on training, unless you are willing to use break and unpaid time to catch up.

The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with some customers, if you don't mind loosing track of your average handle time. Some have interesting stories, or bits of wisdom. Many different walks of life.
Now CONVERGSYS, formerly Stream when I was hired.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCOctober 13, 2015
Pros: Flexible shifts, somewhat decent co-workers, above average pay
Cons: Anonymous employees reporting you to HR, long hours, statistics driven, unfortunate bad documentation from other centers, few happy and calm customers, and very fast paced work.
Demanding work, very fast paced, better pay than some jobs, strict policies, if you don't mind angry customers 99.9% of the time this job is for you. It is a good starting job for your first job to put on your resume, however, this is cubicle work and it does wear you down quickly. I was working 4x10 shifts (4 days, 10 hours each, with three days off) which seems like a very long time sitting down, However, you do get great flexibility with your shifts. However, if you don't like to be a number in a statistic I highly recommend not to do this job, it's easy to get work here, make sure you can type 60 WPM (easy).
Overall, it's a line of work that will tire you out once you are on the floor answering calls. I hope one day there will be more freedom with this job position, allowing more time with customers because they are being rushed by your policies. I do not think its not necessarily a bad thing, but customers and people alike appreciate that they are getting the attention they need.
Convergys
Call Centre Customer Service (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSNovember 26, 2015
Pros: Helping 30+ people in a day
Cons: high turnover
Everyday you walk in and sit down to a large call volume so you're never bored. You take calls and then write notes about the call for future representatives to reference, if you need to speak to your supervisor or Team Leader they are easy to find and helpful. Convergys has a large turn over rate so there are always new people to meet and talk to and every few months it feels like a change over in staff. I did learn about ownership at Convergys which is something that I have taken with me through all of my jobs since. Ownership is important because once you are involved with someone's issue or have taken on a responsibility it is easier and faster for you to complete the job than hand it off to someone else. I also learned that there are many kinds of good and bad customer service. The templates help but a person can figure out what another person wants by listening to their words, voice, tone and so much more.The hardest part was trying to help store front shops who were assisting especially difficult customers but it could be done. The best part was taking the extra step in assisting someone with their issue and making them feel like they had been heard and helped as much as possible.
Good Luck Trying to Balance Work/Family Life
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Welland, ONJune 15, 2013
Pros: good experience, good people
Cons: management will not work with employees, results in a very high turnover
I didn't care much for min wage during training when they promote a higher wage in job ads for recruitment. I was okay for a while and did appreciate the recognition that I got. I was good at my job. I did get a lot of "talks" about going above and beyond for the customer because I "took too long". I'm sorry....isn't that what customer service is about. I kept ALOT of customers from cancelling their service. Then I had my first child. After returning back from mat leave it was VERY difficult to juggle work schedule and daycare schedule. I found myself having to swap shifts almost every day. Thank God for understanding co-workers!! However, I found that this was not very reliable. After TRYING to talk to TL's, HR & whomever else, they could not grasp what I was telling them and would not accommodate me (nor any other parent in the same situation), and ultimately I had to quit because a JOB will NEVER come before my child. Gained great customer service/problem solving skills and met some great people. That's about all that came out of it. I moved on to much better things as a result anyway.
Are you a masochist?
Tech Support (Former Employee), Belleville, ONApril 20, 2015
Pros: Free Christmas supper
Cons: Work/life balance, morale, empathy
You need to be slightly masochistic to work here.

The micromanagement, increasingly harder goals to reach, constantly changing regulations, low morale, and harsh HR policies make it difficult to actually like the job. The job itself isn't that bad.

You need to do your job with cookie cutter accuracy while being encouraged to be creative.

You need to work as a team member while trying to beat them in a stack rank.

You will be graded on your calls and expected to view it all as constructive criticism.

You will be expected to be VERY empathetic toward the customer while being shown very little from management.

You will be timed on everything, right down to how many seconds you take to use the bathroom.

You will be given 10 days per year only to take care of your own illness and those of your family; nearly impossible with children.

I learned quite a bit about some technical aspects of peripherals. Most of that training happened outside the training room and on actual calls; no mock calls were given to try and ease that transition.

The benefits provided were meager and didn't cover half my medications.
Please don't even think of applying here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Welland, ONDecember 14, 2014
Pros: nice friendly co-workers, full time hours
Cons: bad attitude from management, overall stress
This was overall a very stressful, disappointing job. At least it was full-time and overtime was almost always available. And my co-workers for the most part were great.
But management is terrible and they will criticize you on pretty much every aspect of your calls when you are done training and hit the call center floor. Positive feedback is pretty scarce. You will only be a number, and you will be expendable. I stayed at Convergys for 19 months and actually didn't mind it for the first 8 or 9. Then I started to see and hear things that management would do that I didn't agree with. I personally saw a co-worker and friend of mine bullied on a regular basis by one of the supervisors there. I was also accused of not doing my job properly and then it was proven that I was and hadn't done anything wrong. No apology whatsoever from the supervisor who was accusing me.
The calls themselves can be long and stressful. You'll be handling tech support, billing issues, etc.
There are alot of better places to work.
Lively
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Block 44 at Northgate Cyberzone, Muntinlupa CityDecember 9, 2013
Pros: rewards for recognition, socially events(which is free and you just need to attend) and meeting beautiful personalities.
Cons: schedule
Working in Convergys is going to a place where you help a person to use entirely his or her benefits at same time connect with the person that you talk to.

I learned that reaching your goals by working hard is not enough but you need to be socially alive in order to connect to others and have the best working environment possible.

Work Environment is really splendid in a way that the company connects the employees through recognition and social events and gatherings. Making the bond of each employee in the company strong and united. That also goes with my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job is being mentally prepared to put your patience to the limits, or even beyond the limits because connecting to our customers is not as easy as it is at times but that is also the most best part of the job, When you were able to connect to the customer and resolve the issue and you feel that the customer is not only satisfied but appreciates the work that you have done.
Converys has a good organization and respect employees
Customer Care Service (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSAugust 1, 2012
Pros: big parties( thanks giving lunch, pizza party and karaoke
Cons: everyone has different work schedule
I have worked at Convergys Call Center for over 4 years. I provided AT&T wireless services to the US customers. I was responsible for resolving customer's account inquires such as billing ,activation,order process,upselling,contact third parties,payment and semi
technical. I learned customes retention. negotiation skills,professional manner,team's/individual goal and respectation .I have to say that I was very satisfied of working with US clients and company. Convergys management has an excellent organization skills,.I had 6 supervisors ,all managers gave the clear and right directions,.The most employees were able to meet the team/company's target. The hardest part of the job was not chance to have the lunch with coworkers at the same time due to different work schedule. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping customers. customers were very satisfied with me and Customers complemented me many times.I feel appreciated.
Converys has a good organization and respect employees
Customer Care Service (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSAugust 1, 2012
Pros: big parties( thanks giving lunch, pizza party and karaoke
Cons: everyone has different work schedule
I have worked at Convergys Call Center for over 4 years. I provided wireless services to the US customers. I was responsible for resolving customer's account inquires such as billing ,activation,order process,upselling,contact third parties,payment and semi
Good starting goes down hill
Customer Service Associate/Helpdesk (Former Employee), St. John's, NLMay 6, 2014
Pros: people
Cons: mismanaged
When first starting at Convergys I had a great time. Not to date myself, but it was a decent starting wage back then.
Calls were varied from Billing to Connectivity issues; customers were varied too, but that was the hard part of the job, besides management. Some customers were nice, most were mediocre and some were down right nasty. The job was more psychological then anything; stress from the calls could ruin your day, especially if you just started your day.
Management were prone to people who were suck ups and played favoritism against other agents. if you were disliked by one manager then all of them disliked you; with the exception of one or two.
Management used to track washroom breaks and lunch breaks to the point you were under a microscope and required permission to use the bathroom. Or if you had a particularly long call send someone (inexperienced usually) to 'help' get the customer off the phone.
People as always with any job make it tolerable. I've met and am still friend with many.
After working for BCTel I found Convergys work expectations were unequal to the training we received.
Customer Service representative (Former Employee), Lethbridge, ABOctober 7, 2012
Pros: medical/dental coverage
Cons: management issues
We were not given any particular place to sit and were not allowed to keep our instruction books at our desks but had to take them home every night and so our day did not start out smoothly. Sometimes there were not enough head sets to go around and we had to stay away from our desks while we tried to find a station where head sets were available.

Our training was sketchy to begin with and we did not have time to learn on the job

Management were dictatorial and sometimes would stand beside of us and berate us while we were on an open line to a customer.

The hardest part of my job was being switched from one city to another without a moments notice when the billing changed from one city to another. I asked to be left in one city and they refused.

The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was allowed to stay in one city and talking with customers. I seemed to have a knack for working with customers.
It is what you make of it
Level II technical agent (Former Employee), Glace Bay, NSSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: incentives, employee appreciation benefits, good people
Cons: low pay, interoffice drama, tough-to-handle customers
I spent three years at Convergys and while there are good experiences and bad (as with any job), for the most part the attitude you bring to the job is the most important factor. Yes, the customer interactions can sometimes be less than stellar but the people you work with are top notch and with some exceptions, management is as supportive as they can be while still doing their job.

The wages are not great, but it is a call centre. The focus is on revenue generation and that is clear right out of the gate, but with bonuses and incentives, you can make enough to pay the bills and go out to dinner now and then.

The best part of the job is definitely the people you work with (depending on the contract you're on). If you can manage to stay away from the interoffice politics, you can come to work and sit next to people who will make the day fly by.

Overall, I would say apply to this job, but be realistic and bring a positive attitude.
it was a good experience and it was the first in a uni-lingual envireonement
Représentante au service à la clientèle (Former Employee), Welland ONJuly 11, 2014
Pros: yes during some celebration and anniversary i enjoyed the free meal
Cons: i could not hang up on customer until i resolve the issue so long hours doesn't matter
it was my first experience in a call center. Fully English, I got a bad feed back form my supervisor as I couldn't reach the target. The customer was not happy cause I could not communicate clearly with him and he was frustrated. I have learned that it is important to clearly communicate with customer to understand they need for me to be able to resolve issue. Negative feed back doesn't mean that I am not capable of doing my job but it just away of showing you that some area need to be improved. Co-worker are always friendly and ready to share they experience, manager will always be there giving you some tips to help you improve and reach the target. The hardest part is to go through the first experience and the enjoyable part is after so many years of work and endurance you will become an expert.
Challenging and demanding job for so-so pay
Technical Support Professional II (Former Employee), Chilliwack, BCOctober 5, 2015
Pros: Full time benefits
Cons: Strict 1984-style monitoring
Interesting work. I learned a lot and appreciate the training efforts made. However, the pay and benefits offered are less than the job is worth. Also, it's a very 1984 work environment where you are electronically monitored every second of every day. Staff is continuously rated and shift selection depends on ratings. This puts pressure on you if you are not naturally suited to the situation. As with any job that deals with the public, especially considering telephone anonymity, you get calls from impatient, rude and hostile people. If you're not used to that, it can be very unsettling. While efforts are made to provide technical support to staff, it is primitive, disorganized and incomplete. Tricks of the trade are often learned by asking each other which means some get important information and some don't. All-in-all, if you are well suited to the job, it can be fine. If you struggle with some aspects, you will stress out and fail.
Call Centre
Customer Care Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 21, 2015
Pros: teamwork, atmosphere, joy of getting the job done
Cons: many angry/frustrated customers (at the beginning of the call)
Excellent entry-level job. At the time wages were average, however lack of benefits were noticeable. Problem solving was the key skill in this job. I answered phone calls at a inbound call facility for Hewlett-Packard assisting their customers in computer related issues. From software installation to hardware troubleshooting.

The most enjoyable part of this job were the people that I worked with and the joy of solving problems and making the customer happy. The most difficult part of the job was also customer based. Not all problems can be solved to the satisfaction of the customer. The best way to explain that is to say this, no one calls the help desk to say how great things are going, everyone who calls is usually upset or frustrated to begin with and that makes the job somewhat stressful having to try and please an already upset individual.
Not the greatest place in the world
Inbound Customer Service (Former Employee), Welland, ONDecember 21, 2014
Pros: good benefits, alright pay
Cons: no help when you want it.
A typical day, was answering phone calls, and dealing with customers and helping them with there reason for calling.

I learned a lot about the computers and systems, and also learned a call centre job isn't for me at all.

The management was great, but at times not entirely helpful when you needed the help.

My coworkers were actually one of the main reason why I actually stayed at my job so long, cause they made it somewhat bearable to work.

Hardest part of the job would be having to deal with angry customers, and not having anyone to help me with the calls to transfer it over. Also being told to use chat for any questions, which I fully obliged to, to have no one in chat to answer any questions, to then have to use the flag and still waiting for help with any customer issues I could not resolve.

The most enjoyable part was like I said my coworkers.
Loved my job at Convergys.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), New Glasgow, NSSeptember 8, 2015
Pros: co-workers, pay, vacation, benefits, working hours.
Cons: unstable employer
Customer Sales Associate as well as administrative work. I worked at Convergys for 9 years, and I actually only called in sick 2 times. I loved my job. The co-workers were awesome. I made many friends during my time there. Convergys announced in June of 2014 that they were closing the New Glasgow, NS site at the end of September of 2014, so I had to seek other employment. I was able to secure a 6-month contract position with Sobeys Head Office which began on September 03/14. During the first week of employment with Sobeys, Convergys announced that they would be keeping the New Glasgow site open. I was very upset as Convergys were not taking any employees that had left back. They did end of closing the Convergys New Glasgow site permanently on August 27, 2015,
productive work place with sleeping lounges
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), philippinesOctober 15, 2013
Pros: free dinner, bonuses, rewards
Cons: shifting schedules
• Reaching out to customers to collect payment for past due bills
• Inform clients of overdue accounts and amount currently owed
• Ensure all customer information is correct including phone numbers and addresses
• I learned to adjust to different cultures and follow federal and state laws dealing with debt collections.

The management is so sensitive about the needs of the employees they see to it that everyone was gets what they deserves.

My co workers were so accommodating and supportive whenever i need assistance and help

In my point of view there is no easy job, any job needs dedication, focus, determination and sacrifice.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get bonuses and rewards that compensates hardwork.
Headquarters