Continental Currency Exchange

Continental Currency Exchange Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A Job filled with challenge, opportunity and math
Teller (Former Employee), Windsor, ONMarch 18, 2015
Pros: - the staff at the branch, dealing with happy clients, customer service, fantastic bonus structure (made hundreds extra every month for newsletter signups), flexible hours, good support from management, good training program
Cons: can be stressful dealing with money and clients, some clients were rude, learning curve
I worked at Continental Currency Exchange for over a year. They provided me with 2 raises in that time period, 1 after my probationary period, and the other 7 months in. This was much much faster than I had expected, and way better than my other jobs in the past. The job can demand a lot of you at times when it gets busy, but even that wasn’t so bad as we always had other staff members assisting. The hours are retail, so they aren’t bad at all, and management doesn’t expect much aside from amazing customer service - which should come natural to anyone who wants to deal with 20-60 people a day.

The atmosphere was absolutely amazing. We always joked around and had a great time, all while getting our work done. My fellow staff are definitely a highlight of my time at CCE, and a few of us have stayed friends since I left.

When I was interviewed for the job, I made the manager aware that I was a little hesitant with my skills. For a job dealing in currencies, I knew there would have to be lots of math. Luckily they have a great training program with 1 on 1 support, and the manager was great to make sure I was comfortable long before leaving me alone to deal with clients.

Upper management was great support for our branch as well. They provided marketing materials for campaigns, and gave us some freedom for local events in the community. The district manager also was a great tool, and could be called at any time of day on her cell. (Not sure what the other reviewer means, we got ahold of her at a moments notice every time we tried)

All in all, it was an amazing time and the only – more... reason I left was because I want to go back to school and further my education.

P.S. There is a benefits program called a PAA (Personal Account or something). It does give you a substantial benefit that you can use to treat yourself to things like shopping, massages, or food every month. Very helpful to me! Also there is a bonus given every month for signups, which was made it easy to add an extra 10-15% onto my salary. – less
Unproffesional and not worth the time.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), WhitbyJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: branch level employees for the most part
Cons: unprofessionalism, upper management, false promise for bonus, no benefits, no loyalty
Essentially it is a mom and pop shop trying to act like a big corporation.

Probably one of the most unprofessional companies I have ever worked for. There have been multiply emails that have been sent to the 'wrong' person, out right belittling and scolding of employees via email that have been sent company wide (by the district manager and other management) and the high school clique theme is in full effect.

There is one district manager (who also is the daughter of the owners of the company, go figure), for all the 17 locations but good luck trying to a hold of her as an employee. Management has to chase her in order to get approval for an increase in pay, anything that has to do with your contract or really anything that has to do with the branch itself.

Head Office - Contacting HO for any issues is like Russian roulette, hopefully you get someone who knows what they are talking about.

Their process of selection for management is questionable and there is definitely confusion as to why certain employees are hired and promoted.

There are no benefits to speak of and does not look like they are interested in obtaining any.

Promise of monthly bonus is a joke, it has been delayed upto 3 months at times, with no explanation but system issues yet they have time to take 2 weeks vacation.

False promises from the owners and especially the district manager occur on a weekly basis but yet they increase the work load but do not increase your pay.

The only light at the end of the tunnel has been my immediate co-workers.
Overall good job, but terrible at management level
Customer Service Representative/Teller (Former Employee), Barrie, ONSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: excellent rates for employees, free lunches on sunday's, decent hours.
Cons: management
It's exciting to work with so many different currencies on a daily basis, and interacting with so many people and hearing about their travels is fun. They guarantee the best rates in town, and for the most part, they deliver that. There are no service fees, and most of the currencies are available as soon as you need it.

The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with the currencies and hearing about people's travel plans. The hardest part of the job is dealing with management.

I can only speak for my branch, but the management was terrible. They try to make you feel like part of a team, all the while complaining about you behind your back.

I can only attest to what I've been through, but as far as I'm concerned, a manager should never, ever complain about an employee to another employee. That is just highly unprofessional.

It's an awesome place to go if you need your money exchanged, but as for actually working there? I'd think twice.
Horrible place to work--dont do it!
Teller (Former Employee), TorontoMarch 26, 2014
Pros: people at branch level
Cons: upper management, no benefits, low wage for expectations
Horrible horrible company to work for. Very much a nepotism type place to work. Would not recommend working here for anyone. Unless you are part of the little fake clique good luck. Poor communication from management, promises made and never kept.

Only upside was the tellers at branch level.
Horrible management
Head Teller (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: convenient locations, great coworkers.
Cons: horrible horrible management.
The job is great, you get to interact with different people. It is pretty fun but the pressure from management is horrible. I would not recommend it as a full time position to anybody. It is great for part time-students if they can take the extra stress.
enjoyed working there
Foreign Exchange Agent (Current Employee), Burlington, ONAugust 22, 2013
good work environment. nice people
friendly management
didn't like the location
Nice environment
Assistant Branch Manager (Current Employee), Burlington, ONMay 29, 2013
Great people at every branch.

Tons of opportunities to learn new things.
Rather average place to work with no benefits
Keyholder/Teller/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Burlington, ONFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: no benefits
Overall very average workplace, below average wage for the amount of responsibility