Constellation Brands

Constellation Brands Employee Reviews

Great place to work with little upward advancement opportunities
Global Category Director (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 January 2016
Company has great work life balance, they pay well and the people for the most part are hard working and friendly.

The executive level is lean and there is little room for advancement. Those that do get promoted tend to be favored at the top - rather than performance driven.
Pros
Salary, Work Life Balance
Cons
Very Political, No room for advancement
Digital Media Designer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON20 February 2017
Passionate people, fun industry to work within. Very large stable of brands offers some very unique and interesting challenges, but also keeps things fresh and varied. Lots of talented people work there and it shows in the quality of execution. My role requires wearing many hats which to me is a huge bonus but might not be to others.
Pros
Their collection of brands, great people.
The Best Wine Company
Transportation and Logistics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 March 2017
Enjoyable work place and very friendly people. Lots of opportunity for growth. Numerous programs to educate and learn. Very helpful co-workers and always willing go the extra mile.
Pros
Wine Samples
not a fun work place
sales clerk (Former Employee) –  Ontario8 October 2016
If you don't have a life, this is the place for you. Upper management frowns upon having a second job but are not willing to give more hours. There are so many rules you feel like you're working for a secret government agency. Not a fun place.
Pros
free wine
Cons
low pay
Hostile environment Managment heavy handed.
Prodution line worker (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON8 May 2016
Poorly managed production team.Never know what product is running until last minute.Head winemaker has no clue how to run a commercial winery(very large volume).Production manager is very heavy handed and is a spiteful individual.Company does not follow Collective agreement and this causes a lot of friction on the shop floor.Workers feel they get no respect from Management.Management running place into the ground.We are supposed to be the largest Winery in Canada but are run like a Mickey Mouse operation.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
toxic work environment between staff and management
Fun environment
Vineyard Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oliver, BC21 October 2016
Its a fast paced work place with the opportunity to work out in the sun and enjoy the fresh air while you work away in the orchards. Definitely a place I would recommend to others.
Management and Operations were excellent. Too bad our margins were too low.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 September 2016
Loved the job and the Supervisor.We're dissapointled our margins were too low. We were told we were being closed down because of this.
Alan Burns.
Pros
Discount on wine kits bought.
Cons
Insufficient margins
You're just a number
Store Manager Multi-Site (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 January 2014
All that matters is that you reach their targets which are generally 15% more than LY. If you don't, your a terrible employee. One shop went through 3 managers in one year because neither could meet the high targets. Why? Because and LCBO opened up next door. Had nothing to do with managers performance. Can't compete with a big-box liquor store.
Managers are paid peanuts. Avg salary for a manager is $15 an hour. Managers in similar roles else where make much more.
Pros
Free wine
Cons
Pay, no weekends off, upper mgmt always laying blame on someone else.
Terrible place to work.
Wine merchant (Former Employee) –  Paris, ON13 April 2016
Management is terrible. If there's an issue the manager doesn't address it with the person, instead she talks about those people behind their back to other merchants and customers. Instead of trying to talk to that merchant about what is being done wrong, she reduces your hours and makes you feel uncomfortable in the store until you are forced to quit. A lot of the times you are alone in the store and you cannot go to the washroom. Most company policies aren't followed, such as two merchants are supposed to be in the store during load, which is when we receive our order of wine for that week, due to safety reasons. There is never more than one person in the store during that time. There is no wine allowance. All we get is wine issues which are chosen by the company and we have to fill out a homework sheet on it and if the manager doesn't like you, she will take your issue home without telling you. The wage is not competitive, it's only .25 cents over the minimum wage which doesn't really make a difference. Its an extremely boring job and the company is terrible. You have to work a minimum 5.5 hour shift to get a break. Anything under that you don't get anything. All this company does is take advantage of you. They also don't tax you properly and when you ask for additional tax to be taken off, you get ignored and end up paying a lot of money when you have to do your taxes for that year.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, can't go to the washroom, management is terrible, slow paced
Horrible work life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario20 May 2015
The company says they care for your work life balance, but in reality they pile on work hours and have unreasonable demands. The pay is not up to par for what they demand, and they do not pay overtime. You're replaceable to them. They take 2 quarters to pay you your bonus and when you do get perks, it's a company gift card that you have to pay taxes on. Unless you don't have a family and want to live for the company, I don't recommend working here.
Pros
Paid breaks, wine.
Cons
Horrible hours, horrible management.
Dynamic and challenging place to work
Guest Services Associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON10 March 2016
Wonderful opportunity to build upon my skill set, and learned a wide range of new skills through the many and varied experiences in this hospitality & retail environment. Enjoyed my 7 years there!
Run away
sales person (Former Employee) –  Ottawa26 March 2015
The company is so badly managed. It's to bad because they have a great product and great sales people, but the management and middle management is ruining the company. Pay is awful for the liability, they like to push the law and this puts their staff at risk.They bully, and the worst management rise to the top and the competent get fired or quit. Great customers, nice stores, its too bad the company is run so badly.
Pros
usually the co workers if your lucky
Cons
middle management who treat all like garbage
it was was fun place to work and get to interact with others
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON29 August 2015
- I would open the store and count my cash
- Get the product set up for display
- Make sure all products were in the right spot with the labels showing
- Get samples ready
- Answer any questions that costumers had about a product
- Try and up sell a product
- Communicate with my co worker when they come in for their shift
- Stock product and count the stock that we have left in the back
- Fill out order sheets
- Count the cash at the end of my shift and keep all debits and visa receipts for records for management
Run fast!
store manager (Former Employee) –  kingston, on4 April 2015
Worst company i have ever worked for. Middle management bully and try to make stafff do illegal things such as serve alcohol off site to try "boosting sales" micro managed and have little regard for family life. If you like constant harrassment and never having another long weekend then this is the job for you. They promise bonus but it is paid out 6-9 months after the quarter ends.

Ive never witnessed such a poorly run company. Hopefully they will all be closed due to grocery stores being able to sell wine and beer.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
bullying, harrassment, lying middle management, broken promises, unrealisitic goals
Fast paced, Organized work enviroment
Cook (Current Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON24 November 2013
Everyday is always different it keeps you thinking. We will have different company's coming into Inniskillin and Jackson Triggs that are all looking for different experiences within the food and wine industry and that's what we strive to give.
I have become a better cook than I could have ever hoped, I have learned a lot about organizing myself in my own situations. I have also learned a lot about making sure i`m ready for anything that could happen (ie. Dietary concerns, extra people showing up, ect.)
Management makes things a little tough sometimes because there isn`t a lot of communication between front and back of the house, makes for difficult days sometimes. Co-workers are as well trained if not better than I am, most have been on the team for a long time very tight knitted group.
Hardest part of the job is trying to keep the chef happy, very high standards are set in the kitchen.
Best part of the job is the atmosphere working one on one with costumers for the most enjoyable experience we can give.
micro-management, treats staff like robots
sales rep (Current Employee) –  ottawa24 March 2014
Working in a downtown location in Ottawa, it was demoralizing everyday to aid the alcoholism of the homeless population. They would come in wasted with a tim hortons cup of change and management would insist you serve them so as to not lose a sale, EVEN THOUGH IT IS ILLEGAL! This job gets around so many legalities because they think their store level staff are stupid. The minute you bring up the labour board they threaten to take you off the schedule. They manipulate and use coercion to get you to do job tasks that you arent comfortable doing.
Pros
my co-workers
Cons
everything else
Great place to work. Great team spirit and honesty
Walkie Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 July 2013
I enjoyed working for this company. The employees and staff were so helpful and respectful to each other and made me feel welcomed. I learned to do my job quickly safely and the importance of working together as a team to help each other. We made sure that we were always aware of the strength and weakness of each other and to give a hand whenever needed. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The proximity and time was my ideal working hours since I was able to start early and finish early. I could still be home in time to greet my kids from school.
Pros
I learned a lot about the wine industry; and I developed a greater understanding and respect of it.
Cons
Not enough work to keep me there longer.
Great opportunity for growth for those driven.
Store Manager,Training Manager, Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Barrie (varied-Toronto up to Orillia12 January 2015
Watched this company grow, from a manger perspective the life work balance was very difficult however, a rewarding job. Love working with the public and this job provided such opportunities daily.
Pros
great upper management
Cons
minimal life/work balance
progressive company
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 September 2015
Since the takeover by Constellation it has put allot of progressive programming into the work environment. In my territory travel was very extensive.I worked with a great team that was very supportive to each other.
Fun workplace, great producst and people
Business Insights Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, Ontario9 January 2014
Great place to work in the Wine category.

Learned about the category, industry and the different channels in the alcohol and beverage industry.

Great management team.