Constellation Brands Employee Reviews in Canada

Hostile environment Managment heavy handed.
Prodution line worker (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMay 8, 2016
Poorly managed production team.Never know what product is running until last minute.Head winemaker has no clue how to run a commercial winery(very large volume).Production manager is very heavy handed and is a spiteful individual.Company does not follow Collective agreement and this causes a lot of friction on the shop floor.Workers feel they get no respect from Management.Management running place into the ground.We are supposed to be the largest Winery in Canada but are run like a Mickey Mouse operation.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
toxic work environment between staff and management
Horrible work life balance
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 20, 2015
The company says they care for your work life balance, but in reality they pile on work hours and have unreasonable demands. The pay is not up to par for what they demand, and they do not pay overtime. You're replaceable to them. They take 2 quarters to pay you your bonus and when you do get perks, it's a company gift card that you have to pay taxes on. Unless you don't have a family and want to live for the company, I don't recommend working here.
Pros
Paid breaks, wine.
Cons
Horrible hours, horrible management.
Terrible place to work.
Wine merchant (Former Employee) –  Paris, ONApril 13, 2016
Management is terrible. If there's an issue the manager doesn't address it with the person, instead she talks about those people behind their back to other merchants and customers. Instead of trying to talk to that merchant about what is being done wrong, she reduces your hours and makes you feel uncomfortable in the store until you are forced to quit. A lot of the times you are alone in the store and you cannot go to the washroom. Most company policies aren't followed, such as two merchants are supposed to be in the store during load, which is when we receive our order of wine for that week, due to safety reasons. There is never more than one person in the store during that time. There is no wine allowance. All we get is wine issues which are chosen by the company and we have to fill out a homework sheet on it and if the manager doesn't like you, she will take your issue home without telling you. The wage is not competitive, it's only .25 cents over the minimum wage which doesn't really make a difference. Its an extremely boring job and the company is terrible. You have to work a minimum 5.5 hour shift to get a break. Anything under that you don't get anything. All this company does is take advantage of you. They also don't tax you properly and when you ask for additional tax to be taken off, you get ignored and end up paying a lot of money when you have to do your taxes for that year.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, can't go to the washroom, management is terrible, slow paced
it was was fun place to work and get to interact with others
Wine Merchant (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONAugust 29, 2015
- I would open the store and count my cash
- Get the product set up for display
- Make sure all products were in the right spot with the labels showing
- Get samples ready
- Answer any questions that costumers had about a product
- Try and up sell a product
- Communicate with my co worker when they come in for their shift
- Stock product and count the stock that we have left in the back
- Fill out order sheets
- Count the cash at the end of my shift and keep all debits and visa receipts for records for management
Run away
sales person (Former Employee) –  OttawaMarch 26, 2015
The company is so badly managed. It's to bad because they have a great product and great sales people, but the management and middle management is ruining the company. Pay is awful for the liability, they like to push the law and this puts their staff at risk.They bully, and the worst management rise to the top and the competent get fired or quit. Great customers, nice stores, its too bad the company is run so badly.
Pros
usually the co workers if your lucky
Cons
middle management who treat all like garbage
Run fast!
store manager (Former Employee) –  kingston, onApril 4, 2015
Worst company i have ever worked for. Middle management bully and try to make stafff do illegal things such as serve alcohol off site to try "boosting sales" micro managed and have little regard for family life. If you like constant harrassment and never having another long weekend then this is the job for you. They promise bonus but it is paid out 6-9 months after the quarter ends.

Ive never witnessed such a poorly run company. Hopefully they will all be closed due to grocery stores being able to sell wine and beer.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
bullying, harrassment, lying middle management, broken promises, unrealisitic goals
progressive company
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 2, 2015
Since the takeover by Constellation it has put allot of progressive programming into the work environment. In my territory travel was very extensive.I worked with a great team that was very supportive to each other.
micro-management, treats staff like robots
sales rep (Current Employee) –  ottawaMarch 24, 2014
Working in a downtown location in Ottawa, it was demoralizing everyday to aid the alcoholism of the homeless population. They would come in wasted with a tim hortons cup of change and management would insist you serve them so as to not lose a sale, EVEN THOUGH IT IS ILLEGAL! This job gets around so many legalities because they think their store level staff are stupid. The minute you bring up the labour board they threaten to take you off the schedule. They manipulate and use coercion to get you to do job tasks that you arent comfortable doing.
Pros
my co-workers
Cons
everything else
Avoid if you can; they cut your working hours and under pay you!
Production Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJuly 14, 2015
I was temping in R J Spagnols, Kitchener for 10 days to cover for a sick worker. I must say that fellow employees are a better than the usual crowd you expect meeting in factory settings. Working hours from 7 AM till 5:30 PM (10 hour days). They don't have a clock in machine, rather, if you're not at your work station at 7 AM sharp, they cut 15 minutes pay from your pay!!! The wine making kits line has to operate from 7 till 5.30 with no stoppage. A perm comes and takes over from you for the 2 breaks and 1 lunch break. You keep working most of the times beyond 5.30 PM. If you have other arrangements like what happened to me once, the production manager didn't like it at all. Next day, I was 10 mins late for the morning shift because of an early morning accident on the 401 and I commute from Guelph. The same day, a worker asked me to stay beyond 5.30 PM to finish the batch. I accepted, I inquired about payment, he informed me that they round up the overtime minutes if less that 15, to 15 mins. Next day, the manager himself asked me to stay beyond 5.30, for which I accepted and stayed for 30 mins.
However, much to my amazement, when I got the email that informs me about the hours I worked, I noticed that they cut 30 minutes from my overtime pay. I emailed the manager, only to inform me that I've been late twice (which is a lie) as I was late only once and @ 7.10 precisely, I was there on my work station! What does he do? He forwards the email thread to the temp agency that gave me the assignment, compalining about me that I was twice late. So, I remembered, that on Wednesday
  more... morning, I had to urinate before my work shift started, this entailed a delay of 1 minute only from being physically at my work station. The management considered it another delay and cut 15 minutes from my already measly pay of $12 Hr!!!
what happened to this world? is there no compassion for hard working people any more? Management spend their day sitting down on their desks in an AC room, while us workers, have to sweat it out on the shop floor as they're too tight to invest in an AC system for their workers on the shop floor!
This experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and made me realize how some companies treat their workers (especially temps) as slaves, R J Spagnols Kitchener is one of those companies. Avoid if you can, unless you like to be stripped of your hard earned money!!!!
Pros
Relaxed and good work colleagues
Cons
Ruthless management who cares none about temps
Great place to work. Great team spirit and honesty
Walkie Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 6, 2013
I enjoyed working for this company. The employees and staff were so helpful and respectful to each other and made me feel welcomed. I learned to do my job quickly safely and the importance of working together as a team to help each other. We made sure that we were always aware of the strength and weakness of each other and to give a hand whenever needed. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The proximity and time was my ideal working hours since I was able to start early and finish early. I could still be home in time to greet my kids from school.
Pros
i learned a lot about the wine industry; and i developed a greater understanding and respect of it.
Cons
not enough work to keep me there longer.
never boring
Key holder and Guest service associate (Former Employee) –  Niagara-on-the-Lake, ONMay 6, 2015
It was a great place to work for a student, lots of different skills needed and used to work in this environment. Lots of new things to learn, great job for a "people person"
Fun workplace, great producst and people
Business Insights Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJanuary 9, 2014
Great place to work in the Wine category.

Learned about the category, industry and the different channels in the alcohol and beverage industry.

Great management team.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 15, 2012
Busy all day long - time flew by.
Just learned a new JDE 9.0 system - so new challenges to keep the job exciting.
Good people to work with - lots of team players.
Hardest part of the job was meeting dealines and most enjoyable part was completing the deadlines - at the end of the day felt good about self as all was accomplished

Comment – June 4, 2014

HEARD THAT SOME PEOPLE LOST THEIR JOBS UNFAIRLY AFTER MANY YEARS OF HARD WORK. JOBS WENT TO THE U.S. - SINCE LEARNING NEW GLOBAL COMPUTER SYSTEM KEPT CONTRACT PEOPLE AND PEOPLE WITH SHORT TERM EMPLOYMENT AND LET GO LONG TIME EMPLOYEES. LOTS OF FAVOURITISM. SO SAD FOR THESE PEOPLE. NO A/P JOBS IN NF ANYMORE.

Good First Job
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Oliver, BCDecember 23, 2014
-Drama with co-workers
-Not challenging
-Lots to do in 8 hours
-Not well managed
-Not up to date equipment
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
not challenging
Good Company to Work For
Quality Assurance/Quality Control Lab Tech (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCOctober 2, 2014
I enjoy working at Constellation Brands. It is a positive and safe workplace.
environnement de travail agréable