ConocoPhillips Employee Reviews in Canada

Variety of experiences
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  SurmountJanuary 22, 2015
Conoco Phillips was a pleasure to work for. They identified job requirements prior to starting with awesome training sessions in Calgary for a month prior to project starting. Management was very approachable and I had full support of management when dealing with issues in the field.
Pros
variety of experiences
Cons
some hse team members were difficult to work with
Okay job if but don't make a mistake
Foreman (Former Employee) –  Western CanadaJuly 29, 2012
ConocoPhillips is your typical American big oil company with lots of policies, processes and bureaucracy. Benefits and salary are middle of the pack as they do surveys of their competitors as they don’t want to be leader or last place. I worked for them and the heritage companies they bought out for over 20 years. I progress up the ladder to a front line supervisor position, which required a lot of hard work, extra hours and sacrifices of my family time. However I did receive extra bonuses for exceptional performance, including one given to only the top 2% performers. Over the years I saw co-workers let go and found to survive in this company was to be a “yes” man. I did make a lot of friends and business contacts and a few years back I took a 6 week vacation. During this time my e-mail filled up with dirty jokes from these individuals as it the oil patch. A short time after returning to work I received a phone call one morning not to report to work as I was terminated for cause for storing inappropriate material on my company computer. I didn’t have a chance to clean up my email and was caught during a routine corporate scan. Probably by an outside consultant with a software package that didn’t look at the source of ethnic violation. Head office terminated myself and 5 other co-workers without appeal or the benefit of doubt. I’m sure if local management was involved we would have received a reprimand which would have corrected our email habits and given the same consideration as the alcoholics, drug addicts, incompetent staff I’ve seen over the years get away with murder. I  more... thought of fighting this in court but after seeing other former employees try this action and fail against Conoco’s law huge team and years of litigation decided not to. Thanks to the managerial and operational experience, plus the expensive training I’d received at ConocoPhillips over the years. I landed a better paying rewarding job with a rival oil company with a decent electronic firewall that stops all the inappropriate emails and Google searches.  less
Pros
better than most companies
Cons
poor life and work balance, expected to donate extra hours
Productive and high working environment
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Co-workers with high quality results/commitment
Management team fully dedicated to the business
Beautiful people who really support and make your time there pleasant and enjoyable
amazing morale
CM Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort st john bcMarch 21, 2015
very knowledgeable supervisor
steep, challenging but rewarding learning curves every day
co workers are exceptional
hardest part of job is the learning curve
most enjoyable part of job is the independance and respect
professional support is second to none.
Safe and respectful work environment
Instrumentation Engineering Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 14, 2014
I was fortunate to be their 2014 Instrumentation Engineering Summer Student and I found it was an invaluable experience in my young career. I enjoyed going to work each day knowing I was part of a team that was safe, respectful, and team orientated.
Pros
great company
Great work experience in oil and gas with great people
Joint Venture/ Operated Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2012
My work experiences at ConocoPhillips Canada certainly enhanced me to gain insight oil and gas business practices. I have an overall understanding of capital control as a function within an Oil and Gas company and the process of capital reporting and its impact on financial results.

I have successfully performed my strong analytical and financial accounting skills with expertise in SAP by resolving partner disputes and by clearing all past due operated joint venture receivables. I have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with various internal and external stakeholders, along with strong MS Office skills to provide accounting support as they need.
Pros
flexible working hours
Poor Management and low Employee Morale
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Central AlbertaNovember 15, 2012
Managers either Micro Manage or ignore you all together. Depends who you are buddies with in the office and managment as to how for you get with the company. Its obvious to everyone that certain managers are getting kick backs from contractors for steady work. They do not support local business, they drive the small local guys out and bring in bigger companies(almost like they are paid to do this) Office staff gets catered meals multiple times a week and a fully stocked kitchen, and the field staff gets a water cooler. They always pin the blame on someone, even when they say as a company they do not do this.
Pros
not many
Cons
you give what you got and they take what they can
Working Quality Fiber Optic Install of over 60km
Quality Lead / TO Coordination (Current Employee) –  Surmont 2, Chemco ElectricMarch 25, 2014
A normal day will be a review of contractor & sub-contractor documents. Normal problem solving during the day. Prepare the heading section of check sheets for field fill in. Review and Track any returned check sheets Transfer to clean copy, scan & file. Visit work area for fiber install. Note an issues that are observed and contact appropriate individual / 's for a solve to the issue. Update for Logs for Transmittal,RFI, NCR. Search and review of new information released by client. Forward this information to the PM for approval. Etc.
Good coordination between supervisor, drafting staff and Document Control
Drawing Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 10, 2014
Instructions and directions were very clear. It was a great team work. All the issues were discussed and resolved in weekly meeting. Personal contacts with supervisor & co-workers in sorting out the issues saved lots of time to deliver documents & drawing within the schedule time.Learned to resolve calmly under stressful situation.
Pros
learn & lunch
No Issues
HSE Advisor, Frontier Medex (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurrayJuly 27, 2014
No issues. Worked in delineation and construction projects
Pros
work environment good
Cons
some long hours
Oil and Gas Company
Material Management Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 28, 2015
ConocoPhillips is a fast paced growing international oil and gas company
Great Work Place
4th Class Coop Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 31, 2015
Great work place to be , good people and excellent safety record.

About 63 kms from fort mcmurray.

Fly in fly out with 14/14 schedule
Great workplace, great safety culture
construction Superintendent (Former Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 5, 2014
A lot of good people to work with, the culture there was remarkable and being a young manager I learned a lot.
great place to work safe and organized
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABJanuary 16, 2015
• With years experience as a Construction Supervisor/ Coordinator and assisting Project Management i really would like to take this knowledge and use it about this company.
• Working closely under the guidance and direction of the Project Manager to learn systems and methods.
• Assist in plan and spec analysis in order to provide clear, trackable and coordinated interpretations of the design/drawings for construction.
• Research and recommend solutions to design document problems, including conflicts, interferences and errors/omissions.
• i would Act as liaison with subcontractors in expediting drawings and related information.
• i Maintain accurate and up-to-date logs (RFI, Vendor/Subcontractor, Purchase, Owner etc.), track responses and advise the Superintendent of the status of
RFIs.
• Obtain quotations for Notices of Change,Maintain and update the Shop
Drawing Log, review Shop Drawings and submittals.
• Coordinate submittals and procure all close-out documents including
warranties and Operating and Maintenance Manuals.
• Monitor field work, including contract work, to ensure compliance with
company standards, procedures, specifications and codes.
• Participate in the continuous updating and accurate generation of as-built
documents.
• Assist with the research and preparation of field change requests to
resolve design issues. Conduct quality control activities in accordance with instructions, inspection programs, using specified control measuring and testing equipment.
• Support construction work as required.
• Understand and perform document control functions in accordance
  more... with on site policy and procedures, including tracking and creating of RFIs, transmitting and tracking of submittals, compose agreements, and maintain project expediting list.
• Attend project coordination and owner/contractor/architect/engineer meetings as requested or required.
• Present oneself as a great experience at surmount 2
Pros
great pay
Cons
travel to work was dreadful
Busy, Busy and Stressful
Document Management Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2012
The team I manage I a great, well defined team. It's very busy all the time not much time for training or career development
Lunch and Learn
MOC Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABApril 30, 2013
ConocoPhillips Canada is simply the best and excellent in all manner.
All employees are helpful to each other .
The latest facility for meeting and presentation
Employing latest technology in the process
Friendly environment
typical day is efficient, productive.
I learn cooperation and coordination and learn diet control too!
Most enjoyable after completing the assigned work
Fun and productive workplace.
Camp maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABDecember 29, 2012
Excellent but there isn't enough hours to dispense. Learned many aspect of time management, workplace structure, meeting deadlines, and meeting new faces.
Wellsite Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 7, 2013
Conoco provides a safe work place. I drilled multileg directional wells for observation purposes. Reported with wellview and morning confrence calls to management.
Fun productive environment - great experience for a summer student
Integrated Operations Technologist Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AlbertaJanuary 3, 2013
Great place to work with a very dynamic team of individuals. I was able to grow by being challenged with new tasks and learning about many different aspects of a technologists role within the Red Deer/ Eckville office.
Good company
Sustainable Development Engagement Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 17, 2014
ConocoPhillips is a good place to work and they hire good people.