ConocoPhillips

ConocoPhillips Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Okay job if but don't make a mistake
Foreman (Former Employee), Western CanadaJuly 29, 2012
Pros: better than most companies
Cons: poor life and work balance, expected to donate extra hours
ConocoPhillips is your typical American big oil company with lots of policies, processes and bureaucracy. Benefits and salary are middle of the pack as they do surveys of their competitors as they don’t want to be leader or last place. I worked for them and the heritage companies they bought out for over 20 years. I progress up the ladder to a front line supervisor position, which required a lot of hard work, extra hours and sacrifices of my family time. However I did receive extra bonuses for exceptional performance, including one given to only the top 2% performers. Over the years I saw co-workers let go and found to survive in this company was to be a “yes” man. I did make a lot of friends and business contacts and a few years back I took a 6 week vacation. During this time my e-mail filled up with dirty jokes from these individuals as it the oil patch. A short time after returning to work I received a phone call one morning not to report to work as I was terminated for cause for storing inappropriate material on my company computer. I didn’t have a chance to clean up my email and was caught during a routine corporate scan. Probably by an outside consultant with a software package that didn’t look at the source of ethnic violation. Head office terminated myself and 5 other co-workers without appeal or the benefit of doubt. I’m sure if local management was involved we would have received a reprimand which would have corrected our email habits and given the same consideration as the alcoholics, drug addicts, incompetent staff I’ve seen over the years get away with murder. I – more... thought of fighting this in court but after seeing other former employees try this action and fail against Conoco’s law huge team and years of litigation decided not to. Thanks to the managerial and operational experience, plus the expensive training I’d received at ConocoPhillips over the years. I landed a better paying rewarding job with a rival oil company with a decent electronic firewall that stops all the inappropriate emails and Google searches. – less
Great work experience in oil and gas with great people
Joint Venture/ Operated Accountant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2012
Pros: flexible working hours
My work experiences at ConocoPhillips Canada certainly enhanced me to gain insight oil and gas business practices. I have an overall understanding of capital control as a function within an Oil and Gas company and the process of capital reporting and its impact on financial results.

I have successfully performed my strong analytical and financial accounting skills with expertise in SAP by resolving partner disputes and by clearing all past due operated joint venture receivables. I have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with various internal and external stakeholders, along with strong MS Office skills to provide accounting support as they need.
Large company with safety focus
Drafting (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 11, 2012
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: management and changes are extremely slow
-A lot of adminstrative systems go through in order to get work done.
-Work is plentiful but lacking detail.
-Good co-workers; difficulty with management.
-The pay is very competitive with good benefits for staff.
-Very flexible with time off.
-Ability to work independently to get job done.

About ConocoPhillips

ConocoPhillips is the world’s largest independent E&P company based on production and proved reserves. Headquartered – Read more