ConocoPhillips Employee Reviews

Great work life balance
Regulatory Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
Conco has great work life balance with a pretty honest leadership team, however with the downturn in the oil industry in Alberta, advancement and job security are huge negatives.
Productive, great people
Cost Estimator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
Working at Conoco has provided me with an amazing opportunity experiencing many different cultures thriving in a cohesive team environment. All perspectives considered and ideas openly shared.
Was the best, now the worst
Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
Good work life balance because of the 14 on 14 off and they fly you almost anywhere in Canada,

Pay is good though they have been clawing back on bonuses, salaries, benefits and other perks.

Job Security, everyone is nervous and afraid for their jobs.

They have re organized a local plant 4 times now and are no closer to any kind of stability. Poorly managed when your people are being let go for no other reason than their incompetence.

People are getting fed up and I can see workers begin to bail. No job security, over worked, having to watching your back.

Started out first class but slid to one of the worst environments I have ever worked in.
Pros
Shift
Cons
Poor working environment
Decent company to work for
E&I Reliability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 May 2017
There is good and bad things about this company but for the most part I enjoyed my time out there. Very safety minded company. Great work life balance as the shift was 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out.
Great people and culture, but shaky future with O&G price influence
Operations Excellence Specialist, Field Based (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 April 2017
Great people to work with! Interesting work, challenging and rewarding. I worked in the field at Surmont, and it was the best place I have ever worked in my entire career. Regrettably, many people have been laid off during the downturn in O&G prices.
Pros
Great people!
Cons
Long hours, BUT two weeks on, two week off
Great Company
E I Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 April 2017
Good compensation, career development, management was well experienced. Highly recommend working for this organization, would work for them again in the future.
If needed
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
If I needed work I would go back to this company, there was not much in the way for support from the top in a few critical aspects of the company. Expectations were very high to fill in when needed on your days off and the work life balance was tilted heavily to the work side of things.
The projects were interesting and the activity fast-paced. However, that has changed.
Petroleum Systems Analyst/Senior Geologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2017
Initially the work was interesting and there was lots of activity. However, with the downturn in the market for oil and gas companies, ConocoPhillips struggled. Hence, they have exited much of Canada.
Do your 8 hours and go home
Geoscientist (Former Employee) –  Canada27 March 2017
Good place to get experience early in your career. I found there is culture issues. Seems more important to look after your career than doing what is right for the company...
Benefits
Cons
Lots of career people
Excellent workplace
B-pressure welder / Pipefitter Foreman (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB28 February 2017
This workplace had no typical day . I learned many new things about pipe fitting on this job , after I was promoted to pipe fitter foreman . As a foreman my people management skills were refined by my superiors . Safety was the main workplace culture with this job . Learning the paper work was the most difficult part of the job . The people i worked with was the most enjoyable aspect of the job .
Pros
Camp / Food
Cons
Very long travel days to camp from home
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2017
- worked with a great team of people;
- best salary I ever got from any company and benefits were great too
- you really need to sell yourself in order to be promoted; be prepared to put yourself out there and be noticed for the work you do if you want to get ahead
Pros
Positive team environment
Cons
Instability of the industry doesn't guarantee you long term job
Good work environment. Excellent people to work with
Heavy oil operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 February 2017
Good operational support and access to materials and services to meet operational mandates. Well run company that did not have the rigid corporate culture that one would expect in a such a large corporation.
Great Benefits and Training Programs
Surface Land Accounting Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2017
This workplace encourages personal growth and work/life balance.
My most enjoyable part of my job was event coordination and dealing with people.
Pros
Great Culture, Benefits, Volunteer opportunities, Training Programs, Great Pay
Great People
Senior Facilities Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
CPC promotes work life balance and has a great compensation package. Management, however, is top down but direction from management is clear.
Not a great place to work at
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2017
Not a great place to work at. Pay and benefits were high for my age and experience. Management varied greatly from role to role and greatly affected job quality. Not always a great place to work as a young engineer as sometimes not enough work and the managing of the young engineers program at the company was terrible. Rotating people into roles they did not want or forcing them to leave roles they enjoyed was quite common. Groups did not have well laid out plans which caused a lot of sitting around doing nothing.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management of young engineers
Excellent Company to work for, great people and you are rated fairly.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB8 January 2017
I had an excellent experience at Conoco Phillips. Being in many industries over the last 12 years in the work force I would rate ConocoPhillips as number 1. The people are excellent, the environment to learn is hard to duplicate and the work life balance is excellent. Having the privilege of working for Conoco Phillips was great and I would jump on an opportunity within my field at this company again, no questions asked.
Pros
The people are A++, awesome learning environment, great salary, new equipment.
Cons
14 days of straight work is sometimes a hard stint.
Proactive, Highly motivated and Hardworker indivdual
Document Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Very large professional company. Highly competitive in salary and benefits.
Well established oil and gas company. enjoyed working to professional employees.
Driving conditions on Mountainous terrain
Team lead and Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 December 2016
Very good Eastern European Company. I had a very good time with the staff, they were very nice, cooperative and listens very carefully.
Wonderful atmosphere. Christmas party I never thought this is Canada
Pros
Free lunch, food
Cons
Good outstanding company when it comes to safety in the work place
Oil & Gas Safety Specialist( Contract ) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
Lots of travel to locations and meetings. Helped put Coaching program in place, Found the coach program was well respected by all crew members / Contractors. The hardest part of the job was to convince personnel to slow down at times and importance of taking the time to document JSA/HazardId's, Near misses ect ... The rewards of the job was seeing outstanding progress after a few visits and finding very little hazards on my walkarounds and attitude to documentation was improved.
Pros
Accomplishments
Cons
Lots of driving
ConocoPhillips Canada is a great employer
Drilling Waste Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
ConocoPhillips is a great company to work for.
They encourage collaboration and career growth through mentorship and teamwork.
They allow for a good work life balance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ConocoPhillips. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2