ConocoPhillips Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Okay job if but don't make a mistake
Foreman (Former Employee), Western CanadaJuly 29, 2012
Pros: better than most companies
Cons: poor life and work balance, expected to donate extra hours
ConocoPhillips is your typical American big oil company with lots of policies, processes and bureaucracy. Benefits and salary are middle of the pack as they do surveys of their competitors as they don’t want to be leader or last place. I worked for them and the heritage companies they bought out for over 20 years. I progress up the ladder to a front line supervisor position, which required a lot of hard work, extra hours and sacrifices of my family time. However I did receive extra bonuses for exceptional performance, including one given to only the top 2% performers. Over the years I saw co-workers let go and found to survive in this company was to be a “yes” man. I did make a lot of friends and business contacts and a few years back I took a 6 week vacation. During this time my e-mail filled up with dirty jokes from these individuals as it the oil patch. A short time after returning to work I received a phone call one morning not to report to work as I was terminated for cause for storing inappropriate material on my company computer. I didn’t have a chance to clean up my email and was caught during a routine corporate scan. Probably by an outside consultant with a software package that didn’t look at the source of ethnic violation. Head office terminated myself and 5 other co-workers without appeal or the benefit of doubt. I’m sure if local management was involved we would have received a reprimand which would have corrected our email habits and given the same consideration as the alcoholics, drug addicts, incompetent staff I’ve seen over the years get away with murder. I – more... thought of fighting this in court but after seeing other former employees try this action and fail against Conoco’s law huge team and years of litigation decided not to. Thanks to the managerial and operational experience, plus the expensive training I’d received at ConocoPhillips over the years. I landed a better paying rewarding job with a rival oil company with a decent electronic firewall that stops all the inappropriate emails and Google searches. – less
Great work experience in oil and gas with great people
Joint Venture/ Operated Accountant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 13, 2012
Pros: flexible working hours
My work experiences at ConocoPhillips Canada certainly enhanced me to gain insight oil and gas business practices. I have an overall understanding of capital control as a function within an Oil and Gas company and the process of capital reporting and its impact on financial results.

I have successfully performed my strong analytical and financial accounting skills with expertise in SAP by resolving partner disputes and by clearing all past due operated joint venture receivables. I have excellent interpersonal and communication skills to work with various internal and external stakeholders, along with strong MS Office skills to provide accounting support as they need.
Great work experience
Asset & Operating Integrity Summer student (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABSeptember 26, 2013
A calm atmosphere that was competitive and efficiency orientated at the same time. I spent over a month training and learning the dynamics of the Asset and Operating Integrity team (Grande Prairie, AB). I spent most of my time around compressor and well sites (mostly gas wells) tagging and checking equipment, mainly pressure safety valves. I also worked along with the head pipeline coordinator to discover pipeline wall loss growth through smart pig logs on excel documents. This led to myself giving the coordinator specific locations and lengths of pipeline which required repair. My time at ConocoPhillips was all that I expected and more to say the least, they gave me a great start to my career in the Oil and Gas industry.
Poor Management and low Employee Morale
Contractor (Former Employee), Central AlbertaNovember 15, 2012
Pros: not many
Cons: you give what you got and they take what they can
Managers either Micro Manage or ignore you all together. Depends who you are buddies with in the office and managment as to how for you get with the company. Its obvious to everyone that certain managers are getting kick backs from contractors for steady work. They do not support local business, they drive the small local guys out and bring in bigger companies(almost like they are paid to do this) Office staff gets catered meals multiple times a week and a fully stocked kitchen, and the field staff gets a water cooler. They always pin the blame on someone, even when they say as a company they do not do this.
Amazing company to work for but management needs adjusting.
Vehicle Maintenance Coordinator/ Fleet Manager (Former Employee), Anzac, ABSeptember 3, 2015
I give ConocoPhillips 5 stars because they are an amazing company to work for and that's the truth. I, however, would have to say it's too bad that the management is extremely inconsistent and some honestly have no idea what they are doing. It's very sad how they let some employers/contractors go. If the company knew how horrible the management was, they would be taking a second look and weeding them out.
Never a dull day as new challenges and opportunities to interact with peers happened daily
Team Lead - Records Management Services (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 19, 2015
Pros: Respected a home & work life balance
Cons: Withe the downturn in the O&G sector, job losses have recently happened.
Was a great place to work as there was always something allowed you to grow and develop new skills. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with people from all areas of the organization transferring knowledge between each other.
Good coordination between supervisor, drafting staff and Document Control
Drawing Controller (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 10, 2014
Pros: learn & lunch
Instructions and directions were very clear. It was a great team work. All the issues were discussed and resolved in weekly meeting. Personal contacts with supervisor & co-workers in sorting out the issues saved lots of time to deliver documents & drawing within the schedule time.Learned to resolve calmly under stressful situation.
Could be a great Company
Field Material Management Lead (Former Employee), Edson, ABOctober 14, 2015
Pros: Good local people
Cons: Poor supervision
ConocoPhillips has an excellent culture for employees, safety, benefits and work environment. Where they fall down is not training their supervisors in modern techniques of managing people. Some supervisors use an adolescent, knee jerk style of using comments from obscure people and band their subordinates accordingly.
Large company with safety focus
Drafting (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 11, 2012
Pros: good co-workers
Cons: management and changes are extremely slow
-A lot of adminstrative systems go through in order to get work done.
-Work is plentiful but lacking detail.
-Good co-workers; difficulty with management.
-The pay is very competitive with good benefits for staff.
-Very flexible with time off.
-Ability to work independently to get job done.
Focused on developing new talent
Crude Oil Accountant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Development of new grads
Cons: Long hours during settlement
Placed into the new grad program, which placed individuals into a position for a year at a time to get an overview of the organization. Great opportunity to work in the marketing group. Fast paced and long hours at settlement, but great exposure. SAP financial system.
Safe and respectful work environment
Instrumentation Engineering Summer Student (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 14, 2014
Pros: great company
I was fortunate to be their 2014 Instrumentation Engineering Summer Student and I found it was an invaluable experience in my young career. I enjoyed going to work each day knowing I was part of a team that was safe, respectful, and team orientated.
Fun productive environment - great experience for a summer student
Integrated Operations Technologist Summer Student (Former Employee), Red Deer, AlbertaJanuary 3, 2013
Great place to work with a very dynamic team of individuals. I was able to grow by being challenged with new tasks and learning about many different aspects of a technologists role within the Red Deer/ Eckville office.
Fun place to work.
Production Operations Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 9, 2015
Pros: Great benefits and competitive salary.
Cons: Employment retention is market cyclic.
Excellent place to work. Great co-workers. Regular amount of red tape and politics, typical of a large company. Great benefits package including flex days and 1 day off per month if you work 8.5 hours / day.
Intervention Specialist/Wellsite supervisor (Former Employee), EdsonSeptember 21, 2015
Pros: Great team atmosphere
Cons: Too many people involved in jobs
Production side is fantastic. Great guys, team leads were great as well. Warm team atmosphere in the group I was in. Some guys thought different but were long term employees and didnt know how well they had it
Productive and Challenging
Information management - Information Project Lead (Former Employee), Calgary,ABSeptember 1, 2015
Pros: Wonderful Management
Cons: Layoffs
I enjoyed my position at ConocoPhillips, and feel it was an extraordinary experience. My superiors were very helpful and considerate. I have learned a great deal from their vast knowledge and willingness to share.
New skills and knowledge
Projects Administrative Specialist (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Great co-workers
At Conoco, I learned advanced features in Excel in order to create a spreadsheet that is user friendly and easier to navigate in and out of different worksheets.
I also learned new terminology and acronyms in Construction management.
Large, stable and progressive company
Technical Writer-Editor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 26, 2016
Excellent emphasis on safety.
Requires high level of ethical behaviour.
Varied opportunity to employ editing and writing skills.
Co-workers pleasant to work with.
Work day allowed one to focus on primary responsibilities with few interruptions.
amazing morale
CM Specialist (Current Employee), Fort st john bcMarch 21, 2015
very knowledgeable supervisor
steep, challenging but rewarding learning curves every day
co workers are exceptional
hardest part of job is the learning curve
most enjoyable part of job is the independance and respect
professional support is second to none.
IT Business Analyst (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
Good working environment, benefits, vacation and salary. Employees are offered developement opportunities. Nice perks, such as, a no cost fitness centre.
Productive and high working environment
Senior Project Engineer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 27, 2015
Excellent company to work for. Co-workers with high quality results/commitment
Management team fully dedicated to the business
Beautiful people who really support and make your time there pleasant and enjoyable
Headquarters