ConocoPhillips Employee Reviews

Decent Place to work
Phase 2 Well Pad Operator (Current Employee) –  Alberta1 August 2017
I have worked here my entire Oil/ Gas career. Great people and compensation. However, the culture has declined over the last few years. I don't have the confidence that ConocoPhilips will be a desired company to work for in the future.
gone downhill and still falling
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2017
they have done layoffs every 6 months for 2.5 years and are still over staffed in some areas
managers are managing their own survival, not the business
Pros
good safety culture
Cons
no career development
Good company to work for
Electrical Engineering Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2017
I enjoyed working for ConocoPhillips Canada. Its a good company to work for. The compensation package is very good. Safety Culture at its best in ConocoPhillips.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Too Many Layers of Management
WCBU Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2017
Used to be a great company to work for but things changed a lot since the start of the downturn. No opportunity to pursue personal development and growth. Morale has been down for more than 2 years and there is no consistency of strategy and actual action.
Wonderful Experience
Lead I&C Engineer - Canada Capital Projects (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2017
Being in COP has provided a fantastic experience. I had the chance to work with a world class team , a world class leader and a top of the notch world class project!
Enjoyable colleagues to work with. Exchange of ideas and skills was free flowing.
Business Analyst - Operations Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2017
A typical day at ConocoPhillips consisted of analyzing cost data and reporting to multiple groups and the field staff to identify anomalies, be sure we were compliant with JV agreements and keeping lifting costs and capital spending within budget.

Everyday was a learning experience, either with the operations people, joint venture representatives, land and various other groups. Learning about pipeline curtailments, what we were compliant with and what were not, how the AER allocates fees for orphan well and administration fees to the oil industry are some examples.

The culture was somewhat tense but always respectful considering what the oil industry has been going through. The people were always great to work with.

Hardest part of the job were the changing priorities sent from Houston. Many hours of rework re budgets, forecasts, reporting.

As noted above, the people I worked with not just in accounting but the operation engineers, land personnel etc. were all great to work with.
Pros
People
Cons
The loss of many good people due to the commodity prices.
A great place to work.
HSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 June 2017
A good place to work where you feel supported and a valuable member of a team. Management created an atmosphere of collaboration that was visible and gave comfort doing your job in day to day activities.
Daily schedule of fun after office hours. Massage, yoga and other well being seminars are readily available.
Project Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Surmont--Anzac Alberta Canada8 June 2017
I love working with Conoco Phillips Canada at Surmont. Facilities are perfect specially the camp facilities. The camp is complete with amenities for relaxation after work. It is just like home without the family.The safety culture is exceptional. And the people are all very nice to work with.
Pros
Free camp, food, fly-in and fly out, free service trucks, free coverall and jackets.
Cons
Long work hours
Great work life balance
Regulatory Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
Conco has great work life balance with a pretty honest leadership team, however with the downturn in the oil industry in Alberta, advancement and job security are huge negatives.
Productive, great people
Cost Estimator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
Working at Conoco has provided me with an amazing opportunity experiencing many different cultures thriving in a cohesive team environment. All perspectives considered and ideas openly shared.
Was the best, now the worst
Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
Good work life balance because of the 14 on 14 off and they fly you almost anywhere in Canada,

Pay is good though they have been clawing back on bonuses, salaries, benefits and other perks.

Job Security, everyone is nervous and afraid for their jobs.

They have re organized a local plant 4 times now and are no closer to any kind of stability. Poorly managed when your people are being let go for no other reason than their incompetence.

People are getting fed up and I can see workers begin to bail. No job security, over worked, having to watching your back.

Started out first class but slid to one of the worst environments I have ever worked in.
Pros
Shift
Cons
Poor working environment
Decent company to work for
E&I Reliability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 May 2017
There is good and bad things about this company but for the most part I enjoyed my time out there. Very safety minded company. Great work life balance as the shift was 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out.
Great people and culture, but shaky future with O&G price influence
Operations Excellence Specialist, Field Based (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 April 2017
Great people to work with! Interesting work, challenging and rewarding. I worked in the field at Surmont, and it was the best place I have ever worked in my entire career. Regrettably, many people have been laid off during the downturn in O&G prices.
Pros
Great people!
Cons
Long hours, BUT two weeks on, two week off
Great Company
E I Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 April 2017
Good compensation, career development, management was well experienced. Highly recommend working for this organization, would work for them again in the future.
If needed
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
If I needed work I would go back to this company, there was not much in the way for support from the top in a few critical aspects of the company. Expectations were very high to fill in when needed on your days off and the work life balance was tilted heavily to the work side of things.
The projects were interesting and the activity fast-paced. However, that has changed.
Petroleum Systems Analyst/Senior Geologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2017
Initially the work was interesting and there was lots of activity. However, with the downturn in the market for oil and gas companies, ConocoPhillips struggled. Hence, they have exited much of Canada.
Do your 8 hours and go home
Geoscientist (Former Employee) –  Canada27 March 2017
Good place to get experience early in your career. I found there is culture issues. Seems more important to look after your career than doing what is right for the company...
Benefits
Cons
Lots of career people
Excellent workplace
B-pressure welder / Pipefitter Foreman (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB28 February 2017
This workplace had no typical day . I learned many new things about pipe fitting on this job , after I was promoted to pipe fitter foreman . As a foreman my people management skills were refined by my superiors . Safety was the main workplace culture with this job . Learning the paper work was the most difficult part of the job . The people i worked with was the most enjoyable aspect of the job .
Pros
Camp / Food
Cons
Very long travel days to camp from home
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2017
- worked with a great team of people;
- best salary I ever got from any company and benefits were great too
- you really need to sell yourself in order to be promoted; be prepared to put yourself out there and be noticed for the work you do if you want to get ahead
Pros
Positive team environment
Cons
Instability of the industry doesn't guarantee you long term job
Good work environment. Excellent people to work with
Heavy oil operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 February 2017
Good operational support and access to materials and services to meet operational mandates. Well run company that did not have the rigid corporate culture that one would expect in a such a large corporation.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ConocoPhillips. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2