ConocoPhillips Employee Reviews

Good place
Gas Field Operator (Former Employee) –  Viking, AB20 November 2017
the company was good but the lack of communication with their workers was an ongoing problem. Management was poor and too top heavy and no clear direction was ever given
I learnt a lot and worked with great people
Data Integrity specialist (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB31 October 2017
I enjoyed the challenge at this site office. I learnt a lot. When I started I didn't even know what a LSD was (Legal Land Description)
I liked the oil and gas industry perks like great wages.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Commute
Was a good place to work in Canada before the commodity downturn
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2017
Was a great company to work for. Oil/gas price tumble resulted in massive changes - including asset sales and layoffs. Management changes and the rapid company contraction has resulted in challenges for employees. May exit Canada if commodity prices remain low. Too bad.
Pros
Was great place to work
Cons
Massive changes in the last few years
The company is struggling with identity and future direction
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 October 2017
Poor leadership has lead to the company not knowing if they will continue to operate in Canada. The culture in the Canadian BU is one of sitting back and letting things happen as opposed to being pro active.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Leadership
A good place to work.
Project Engineer/Manager (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB3 October 2017
A good company in which to be an employee. Offers an environment of interesting meaningful jobs when available. Safety culture is industry leading. Is subject to the ups and downs of the oil industry as is all oil and gas companies.
Pros
Excellent company in which to work.
Cons
Affected by industry conditions beyond it's control.
good company
Director, Investment Appraisal (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2017
great place to meet people. loved working there. President was the best anyone could want. left company far too early. much to learn. very, very good company.
Pros
fun
Cons
not enough work to do
Decent Place to work
Phase 2 Well Pad Operator (Current Employee) –  Alberta1 August 2017
I have worked here my entire Oil/ Gas career. Great people and compensation. However, the culture has declined over the last few years. I don't have the confidence that ConocoPhilips will be a desired company to work for in the future.
gone downhill and still falling
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2017
they have done layoffs every 6 months for 2.5 years and are still over staffed in some areas
managers are managing their own survival, not the business
Pros
good safety culture
Cons
no career development
Good company to work for
Electrical Engineering Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 June 2017
I enjoyed working for ConocoPhillips Canada. Its a good company to work for. The compensation package is very good. Safety Culture at its best in ConocoPhillips.
Pros
Good Company
Cons
Too Many Layers of Management
WCBU Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2017
Used to be a great company to work for but things changed a lot since the start of the downturn. No opportunity to pursue personal development and growth. Morale has been down for more than 2 years and there is no consistency of strategy and actual action.
Wonderful Experience
Lead I&C Engineer - Canada Capital Projects (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 June 2017
Being in COP has provided a fantastic experience. I had the chance to work with a world class team , a world class leader and a top of the notch world class project!
Enjoyable colleagues to work with. Exchange of ideas and skills was free flowing.
Business Analyst - Operations Cost Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 June 2017
A typical day at ConocoPhillips consisted of analyzing cost data and reporting to multiple groups and the field staff to identify anomalies, be sure we were compliant with JV agreements and keeping lifting costs and capital spending within budget.

Everyday was a learning experience, either with the operations people, joint venture representatives, land and various other groups. Learning about pipeline curtailments, what we were compliant with and what were not, how the AER allocates fees for orphan well and administration fees to the oil industry are some examples.

The culture was somewhat tense but always respectful considering what the oil industry has been going through. The people were always great to work with.

Hardest part of the job were the changing priorities sent from Houston. Many hours of rework re budgets, forecasts, reporting.

As noted above, the people I worked with not just in accounting but the operation engineers, land personnel etc. were all great to work with.
Pros
People
Cons
The loss of many good people due to the commodity prices.
A great place to work.
HSE Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Alberta13 June 2017
A good place to work where you feel supported and a valuable member of a team. Management created an atmosphere of collaboration that was visible and gave comfort doing your job in day to day activities.
Daily schedule of fun after office hours. Massage, yoga and other well being seminars are readily available.
Project Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Surmont--Anzac Alberta Canada8 June 2017
I love working with Conoco Phillips Canada at Surmont. Facilities are perfect specially the camp facilities. The camp is complete with amenities for relaxation after work. It is just like home without the family.The safety culture is exceptional. And the people are all very nice to work with.
Pros
Free camp, food, fly-in and fly out, free service trucks, free coverall and jackets.
Cons
Long work hours
Great work life balance
Regulatory Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
Conco has great work life balance with a pretty honest leadership team, however with the downturn in the oil industry in Alberta, advancement and job security are huge negatives.
Productive, great people
Cost Estimator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 May 2017
Working at Conoco has provided me with an amazing opportunity experiencing many different cultures thriving in a cohesive team environment. All perspectives considered and ideas openly shared.
Was the best, now the worst
Maintenance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
Good work life balance because of the 14 on 14 off and they fly you almost anywhere in Canada,

Pay is good though they have been clawing back on bonuses, salaries, benefits and other perks.

Job Security, everyone is nervous and afraid for their jobs.

They have re organized a local plant 4 times now and are no closer to any kind of stability. Poorly managed when your people are being let go for no other reason than their incompetence.

People are getting fed up and I can see workers begin to bail. No job security, over worked, having to watching your back.

Started out first class but slid to one of the worst environments I have ever worked in.
Pros
Shift
Cons
Poor working environment
Decent company to work for
E&I Reliability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 May 2017
There is good and bad things about this company but for the most part I enjoyed my time out there. Very safety minded company. Great work life balance as the shift was 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out.
Great people and culture, but shaky future with O&G price influence
Operations Excellence Specialist, Field Based (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 April 2017
Great people to work with! Interesting work, challenging and rewarding. I worked in the field at Surmont, and it was the best place I have ever worked in my entire career. Regrettably, many people have been laid off during the downturn in O&G prices.
Pros
Great people!
Cons
Long hours, BUT two weeks on, two week off
Great Company
E I Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB21 April 2017
Good compensation, career development, management was well experienced. Highly recommend working for this organization, would work for them again in the future.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ConocoPhillips. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2