ConocoPhillips Employee Reviews

If needed
HSE Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 April 2017
If I needed work I would go back to this company, there was not much in the way for support from the top in a few critical aspects of the company. Expectations were very high to fill in when needed on your days off and the work life balance was tilted heavily to the work side of things.
The projects were interesting and the activity fast-paced. However, that has changed.
Petroleum Systems Analyst/Senior Geologist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 April 2017
Initially the work was interesting and there was lots of activity. However, with the downturn in the market for oil and gas companies, ConocoPhillips struggled. Hence, they have exited much of Canada.
Do your 8 hours and go home
Geoscientist (Former Employee) –  Canada27 March 2017
Good place to get experience early in your career. I found there is culture issues. Seems more important to look after your career than doing what is right for the company...
Benefits
Cons
Lots of career people
Excellent workplace
B-pressure welder / Pipefitter Foreman (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB28 February 2017
This workplace had no typical day . I learned many new things about pipe fitting on this job , after I was promoted to pipe fitter foreman . As a foreman my people management skills were refined by my superiors . Safety was the main workplace culture with this job . Learning the paper work was the most difficult part of the job . The people i worked with was the most enjoyable aspect of the job .
Pros
Camp / Food
Cons
Very long travel days to camp from home
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2017
- worked with a great team of people;
- best salary I ever got from any company and benefits were great too
- you really need to sell yourself in order to be promoted; be prepared to put yourself out there and be noticed for the work you do if you want to get ahead
Pros
Positive team environment
Cons
Instability of the industry doesn't guarantee you long term job
Good work environment. Excellent people to work with
Heavy oil operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB17 February 2017
Good operational support and access to materials and services to meet operational mandates. Well run company that did not have the rigid corporate culture that one would expect in a such a large corporation.
Great Benefits and Training Programs
Surface Land Accounting Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2017
This workplace encourages personal growth and work/life balance.
My most enjoyable part of my job was event coordination and dealing with people.
Pros
Great Culture, Benefits, Volunteer opportunities, Training Programs, Great Pay
Great People
Senior Facilities Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
CPC promotes work life balance and has a great compensation package. Management, however, is top down but direction from management is clear.
Not a great place to work at
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2017
Not a great place to work at. Pay and benefits were high for my age and experience. Management varied greatly from role to role and greatly affected job quality. Not always a great place to work as a young engineer as sometimes not enough work and the managing of the young engineers program at the company was terrible. Rotating people into roles they did not want or forcing them to leave roles they enjoyed was quite common. Groups did not have well laid out plans which caused a lot of sitting around doing nothing.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Management of young engineers
Excellent Company to work for, great people and you are rated fairly.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Anzac, AB8 January 2017
I had an excellent experience at Conoco Phillips. Being in many industries over the last 12 years in the work force I would rate ConocoPhillips as number 1. The people are excellent, the environment to learn is hard to duplicate and the work life balance is excellent. Having the privilege of working for Conoco Phillips was great and I would jump on an opportunity within my field at this company again, no questions asked.
Pros
The people are A++, awesome learning environment, great salary, new equipment.
Cons
14 days of straight work is sometimes a hard stint.
Proactive, Highly motivated and Hardworker indivdual
Document Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
Very large professional company. Highly competitive in salary and benefits.
Well established oil and gas company. enjoyed working to professional employees.
Driving conditions on Mountainous terrain
Team lead and Driver (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 December 2016
Very good Eastern European Company. I had a very good time with the staff, they were very nice, cooperative and listens very carefully.
Wonderful atmosphere. Christmas party I never thought this is Canada
Pros
Free lunch, food
Cons
Good outstanding company when it comes to safety in the work place
Oil & Gas Safety Specialist( Contract ) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
Lots of travel to locations and meetings. Helped put Coaching program in place, Found the coach program was well respected by all crew members / Contractors. The hardest part of the job was to convince personnel to slow down at times and importance of taking the time to document JSA/HazardId's, Near misses ect ... The rewards of the job was seeing outstanding progress after a few visits and finding very little hazards on my walkarounds and attitude to documentation was improved.
Pros
Accomplishments
Cons
Lots of driving
ConocoPhillips Canada is a great employer
Drilling Waste Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
ConocoPhillips is a great company to work for.
They encourage collaboration and career growth through mentorship and teamwork.
They allow for a good work life balance.
great people, poor management
Geologist (GIT) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 December 2016
Great geologists, however poorly managed as shown by their rating compared to peers. In the past the training was great, as of lately it is non-existent.
Pros
great salary
Cons
no leadership
Enjoyed the people that I worked with
Production Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 December 2016
People are your best assets. You should value your best assets.

Laying off hundreds of people few times in one year is not a good sign of a company that you want to invest time in.
Pros
Friendships
Cons
Loyality
Great Role
Contractor role (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB25 November 2016
The 2 week on/off shift was great and the work duties were easy and stress free.
The IT mgt. is in severe need of an over-haul. This means some leads and mgt need to be replaced.
Pros
Great Work Shift and Pay
Cons
Poor communication by supervisors
Very productive
SAGD Water Treatment Operator (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 November 2016
A very fun place to work with very intelligent and honest workers. It has cool management with positive attitude. This place taught me how to work in a team as well as an individual and meeting deadlines.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
nothing
Friendly Staff & a great company to work for
Journeyman Millwright (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB24 October 2016
My time with this company was heavily based on hitting a set number of dials each day and was overseen by a outstandingly difficult manager who is no longer with the company, but was the catalyst for myself and many others to seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Professional Work environment
Supervisor & Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2016
Professional environment with adequate opportunity for knowledge share, good support for employee entertainment, good support to maintain professional certifications, work life balance mostly.
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Limited growth opportunities

Ask a question about working or interviewing at ConocoPhillips. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2