LOCATION: National Westhills
POSITION TITLE: Sous Chef
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
POSITION TYPE: Full Time
START DATE: Immediately
National Westhills is where big, boisterous personalities hang their hats for fine food and a huge selection of beer and spirits that celebrate the small lot North American producer. A place filled with Calgarians who embrace being Calgarians, National Westhills is the place to be, whether it’s for a few beers after work with friends, a big night of fine food and drinks or a weekend brunch. A Concorde Group restaurant, National Westhills offers the opportunity to work within one of Canada’s largest and most diverse hospitality companies.
Join National’s team as a Sous Chef and put your culinary skills to use in a fast-paced environment that offers exceptional career growth opportunity. As second-in-charge in the kitchen, the Sous Chef is responsible for coordinating the daily culinary operations of the National kitchen and assists in planning and organizing the preparation and cooking of food. Working alongside the Executive Chef, you will gain valuable experience assisting in menu planning and costing and will be responsible for overseeing all kitchen administration activities in the absence of the Executive Chef.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee all aspects of food production, including involvement in menu planning and costing.
- Administration of kitchen in assistance to the Executive Chef, including purchasing and work schedules.
- Ensure consistent food preparation, production and the highest calibre of food presentation, taking advantage of all opportunities to improve upon both.
- Maintain and ensure all departmental and National’s policies and procedures are adhered to; ensuring department operates in compliance of all relevant laws.
- Supervise all kitchen staff; allocating tasks so that they will be done efficiently and ensuring all workers are aware of their responsibilities.
- Ensure proper foreseeability within all stations to confirm product is managed properly in order to execute prep procedures and service in a cost and time effective manner.
- Supervise and assist with food production to ensure all quality standards are maintained in all food and beverage areas.
- Ensure the highest level of hygiene and food safety is adhered to by all personnel in the preparation and handling of food items.
- Ensure all kitchen items ordered from suppliers are correct and checked for quality as per National standards
- Place orders with suppliers – ensure cost control of all food and beverage items.
- Ensure all inventory of food and equipment is accounted for and secured upon closing of kitchen.
- Provide coaching, mentorship and leadership to all Cooks within the kitchen assisting with work, training and development, including overview and updates on policies and procedures.
- Provide assistance on line daily.
- Create work schedules for all kitchen staff and assign work and duties accordingly.
- Conduct pre-shift meetings with front stage and back stage – communicating upcoming functions for whole day, products that are out/short, daily features and soup testing.
- Maintain composure and professionalism at all times, ensuring kitchen personnel are supported and prepared for peak hours.
- Follow proper reporting procedures for accidents and incidents to ensure follow-up and prevention.
- Complete all departmental filing.
- Execute ad-hoc duties as required.
- Minimum 3 years experience in a kitchen within a similar leadership role.
- Food Safe Certification is required.
- Culinary degree or equivalent from an accredited institution is considered as asset.
- High skill level in executing all duties and tasks assigned to kitchen personnel.
- Expert knowledge of food quality, production, presentation, handling and sanitation standards.
- Practised leadership skills in a culinary environment and demonstrated ability to manage a culinary team while positively influencing employee behaviour.
- Demonstrated ability to organise efficient work schedules and work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to maintain control and composure in difficult and stressful situations.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to successfully meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of personal hygiene and workspace cleanliness.
- Active interest in cooking and developing a culinary career.
- Strong team player, punctual for shifts and reliable to execute work as assigned.
- Ability to fluently communicate in both written and verbal English.
- Flexibility to perform shift work on a 24-hour rotating roster as required.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to endure physical requirements of the role including standing for long durations and lifting up to 50lbs.
- Manual dexterity required to use knives and kitchen appliances.
- Minimum of 18 years of age to handle alcoholic beverages.
- Overtime as required.
HOW TO APPLY: Please respond to this post, listing the position title in the subject line, and attach your resume for review.
ITEMS TO INCLUDE IN APPLICATION: Resume / Cover Letter
CONTACT NAME: Amanda
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Will remain open until suitable candidate is found
If you feel that you are uniquely qualified for this please respond to this post, listing the position title in the subject line, and attach your resume for review.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those who most closely match Concorde’s requirements will be contacted.
All applicant information submitted will be reviewed by Salopek & Associates Ltd. and will remain in strict confidence.
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.