LOCATION: Model Milk
POSITION TITLE: Pastry Cook
POSITION TYPE: Full Time
START DATE: Immediately
Model Milk throws out all the checklists, preconceptions and rules that govern what a “good” restaurant should be. Instead, we have taken everything we love about restaurants, added a menu created by award-wining Chef Justin Leboe, and housed it in an incredible historical space to create the ultimate dinner party atmosphere. A Concorde Group restaurant, Model Milk offers the opportunity to work within one of Canada’s largest and most diverse hospitality companies.
Learn more at: www.modelmilk.ca
Join Model Milk’s team as a Pastry Assistant and put your skills to use in a fast-paced environment that offers exceptional career growth opportunity. Working in a dynamic team environment, the Pastry Assistant is responsible for preparing pastries. Working under the direction of the Pastry Chef and Executive Chef, the Pastry Assistant must efficiently work within a high-pressure environment to successfully support various functions or pre-set menu specifications while ensuring compliance with all safety, health and food handling guidelines.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure consistent pastry preparation and the highest calibre of food presentation, following Model Milk standards and as directed by the Pastry Chef and Executive Chef.
- Maintain ongoing communication with all departments affecting the kitchen.
- Ensure the highest level of hygiene and food safety is adhered to by all personnel in the preparation and handling of food items.
- Ensure that the kitchen area and equipment is maintained at the highest level of cleanliness at all times.
- Consistently conduct yourself in a professional and positive manner.
- Ensure all food products are stored in appropriate containers, labeled and rotated to ensure high standards of freshness, minimizing waste and maximizing quality.
- Aid in maintaining department objectives and ensure they are met and exceeded.
- Practice positive strategies to motivate fellow staff, encourage self-esteem and efficiency.
- Strive to advance your knowledge and help raise standards within department by bringing new concepts, ideas and suggestions forth.
- Respond in a positive and timely manner to all internal and external guest requests and complaints, while meeting the restaurant’s standards to exceed the guest’s expectations in addition to remaining budget conscious.
- Follow proper reporting procedures for accidents and incidents to ensure follow-up and prevention.
- Follow and adhere to all policies and guidelines, checklists, prep sheets and par sheets as assigned.
- Expedite on floor or in the kitchen as business demands.
- Complete departmental filing and attend meetings as required.
- Perform other related ad-hoc duties as required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food quality, production, handling and sanitation standards.
- Minimum of 2 years kitchen experience
- Culinary diploma will be considered in lieu of the minimum experience required.
- Understanding and ability to produce both yeast and pastry goods
- Understanding of restaurant operational procedures.
- Food Safe Certification is considered an asset.
- Minimum Grade 10 or equivalent is required with ability to perform simple math.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain relationships with associates, customers and vendors.
- Demonstrated interest, creativity and innovation in all areas relating to food.
- Self-motivated with a positive attitude and a consistent display of professionalism.
- Ability to quickly and effectively identify issues, make decisions and resolve problems.
- Strong multi-tasking and time-management skills with the ability to successfully meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain a high level of personal hygiene and workspace cleanliness.
- Strong team player, punctual for shifts and reliable to execute work as assigned.
- Ability to fluently communicate in both written and verbal English.
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / REQUIREMENTS:
Ability to endure physical requirements of the role including standing for long durations and lifting up to 50lbs.
Manual dexterity required to use knives and kitchen appliances.
Minimum of 18 years of age to handle alcoholic beverages.
Overtime as required.
HOW TO APPLY: Email
ITEMS TO INCLUDE IN APPLICATION: Resume / Cover Letter
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Will remain open until suitable candidate is found
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those who most closely match Concorde’s requirements will be contacted.
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.