LOCATION: National Westhills
POSITION TITLE: Head Chef
REPORTS TO: General Manager
POSITION TYPE: Full Time
START DATE: Immediately
National is where big, boisterous personalities hang their hats for fine food and a huge selection of beer and spirits that celebrate the small lot North American producer. A place filled with Calgarians who embrace being Calgarians, National Westhills is the place to be, whether it’s for a few beers after work with friends, a big night of fine food and drinks or a weekend brunch. A Concorde Group restaurant, National Westhills offers the opportunity to work within one of Canada’s largest and most diverse hospitality companies.
Join National Westhills team as Head Chef and put your culinary skills to use in a fast-paced environment that offers continual career growth opportunity. As the back-of-house team lead, the Head Chef is responsible for managing the daily culinary operations of the National kitchen and directing the planning, preparation and cooking of food. Reporting to the General Manager and Head Office, you will gain valuable experience lending your creativity and leadership skills to execute menu development, maintain smooth service and oversee the entire kitchen operations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop innovative recipes and menus for National food operations.
- Continually read, create, write, calculate and tweak recipes.
- Supervise all aspects of food production including testing, training and execution while ensuring costing standards are maintained.
- Complete inventory counts and purchasing while also introducing new products.
- Understand completely all food costs, inventories, scheduling, payroll, ordering and receiving procedures.
- Take full and final responsibility for all job actions including recruitment, promotions, transfers, discipline and terminations adhering to National policies and procedures.
- Set production goals and job expectations for all kitchen staff.
- Provide training, coaching, mentorship, motivation and direction to all kitchen staff, continually striving to develop staff in all areas of culinary and leadership skills.
- Ensure all time lines and quality standards are maintained within all stations and take action to guarantee these standards will consistently be met.
- Ensure proper lines of communication between chefs and coworkers to provide a knowledgeable harmonious station and kitchen.
- Maintain and ensure all safety, sanitation and departmental policies and procedures are adhered to, ensuring the department operates in compliance of all relevant laws.
- Respond in a positive and timely manner to all internal and external guest requests and complaints, while meeting National standards to exceed the guest’s expectations in addition to remaining budget conscious.
- Provide assistance in kitchen and on line when required.
- Maintain composure and professionalism at all times, handling employee concerns and issues and ensuring kitchen personnel are supported and prepared for peak hours.
- Execute ad-hoc duties as required.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a kitchen within a similar leadership role.
- Food Safe Certification is required.
- Culinary degree or equivalent from an accredited institution is considered as asset.
- Innovative thinker with experience creating recipes and developing menus.
- Expert knowledge of food quality, production, presentation, handling and sanitation standards.
- Practised leadership skills in a culinary environment and demonstrated ability to manage a culinary team while positively influencing employee behaviour.
- High skill level in executing all duties and tasks assigned to kitchen personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to organize efficient work schedules and work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to maintain control and composure in difficult and stressful situations.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and ability to successfully meet deadlines within a fast-paced environment.
- Strong team player, punctual for shifts and reliable to execute work as assigned.
- Ability to fluently communicate in both written and verbal English
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to endure physical requirements of the role including standing for long durations and lifting up to 50lbs.
- Manual dexterity required to use knives and kitchen appliances.
- Minimum of 18 years of age to handle alcoholic beverages.
- Overtime as required.
HOW TO APPLY: Please respond to this post, listing the position title in the subject line, and attach you resume for review.
ITEMS TO INCLUDE IN APPLICATION: Resume / Cover Letter
CONTACT NAME: Amanda
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: Will remain open until suitable candidate is found
If you feel that you are uniquely qualified for this position please respond to this post, listing the position title in the subject line, and attach you resume for review.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those who most closely match Concorde’s requirements will be contacted.
All applicant information submitted will be reviewed by Salopek & Associates Ltd. and will remain in strict confidence.
This job description is intended as a summary of the primary responsibilities and qualifications for this position. The job description is not intended as inclusive of all duties an individual in this position might be asked to perform or of all qualifications that may be required either now or in the future.