Con-way

Con-way Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Transport and operate equipment load unloading .
Longhaul truck trailer driver and operator (Current Employee), State of KuwaitJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: enough 30 minute
Cons: must be paid regular daily hour according by law moredone that overtime pay.
Load unload and operate equipment doing to stucking soil or stone.all kind of dumptruck loading all kind of soil or stone.must be load in safety procedure to aware possible accident.
Exciting place to learn the industry
CITY DRIVER PICKUP AND DELIVERY / LINEHAUL (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 20, 2013
Pros: friendliest team and excellent management
Cons: wages could increase in the ltl industry
A typical day at work would include loading LTL freight into the trailers, hooking up a set of 3 trailers and driving it to a meet and turn
i.e.) Sweet grass, MT from Calgary, AB and Back.
I have learned quite a bit from this company including how to deal with customs documents and learning how to handle different types of freight being handled especially – more... the dangerous goods.
The hardest part of the job is the long hours.
Most enjoyable part would definitely be getting to know your customers and establishing a bond with them to maintain a good image for your company and yourself. – less
Fast pace environment.
Truck Driver/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Windsor ONJuly 8, 2013
Pros: profit sharing.
Cons: sometimes work was overwhelming.
Unload incoming freight, and re-load for local deliveries.
Each day was different.
Some co-worker a pleasure to work with, others were more difficult.
Hardest part of the job was trying to maneuver a 48' trailer in downtown streets.
Management was there for support.
Good company
Driver Sales Rep (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBSeptember 25, 2012
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: you earn ur pay
Picking up and delivering frieght, working frieght on dock and breaking and loading trailers.
OTR truck driver
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Joplin, MOJune 30, 2014
Work day 14 hour on duty.11 hours driving.
To many hours for the pay
Management talked to on the phone
co-workers none in truck alone.
Hardest part shift in driving from AM to PM
Enjoyed going home
Decent COmpany
FREIGHT OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Trenton, NJJune 30, 2014
Pros: decent pay
Cons: longhours
Management in this company are mostly older not very friendly.
Drivers are mostly friendly and easy going.
Not the best place to work unles you enjoy a negative atmosphere
Sr. Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee), North Richland Hills, TxJune 28, 2014
Pros: fun parties, activities
Cons: low work morale, awful training, not a team oriented atmosphere
The training was awful, I sat beside a girl for 3 days then she moved to a whole different dept, so I was thrown to the sharks. One of the ladies on my team was a drama queen, If you put on lotion she would put on show by coughing up a lung, she was under the impression someone made her the boss. She complained about EVERYTHING and I couldn't continue – more... to work in such a negative, unfulfilling workplace. – less
not great
Freight Operations Manager (Former Employee), plainfieldJune 28, 2014
Cons: hours
not great pay management good benefits and bonus to move up you have to transfer all over the country
Poor Safety
Forklift Operator/ Freight Handler (Former Employee), LaSalle, ILJune 26, 2014
Very rarely did a day go by without a hit to there safety record...
A good starter job
Material Handling Team Lead (Former Employee), South Bend, INJune 22, 2014
The management was nice and caring. Typical day unload and load truck until they are all done. Co-workers were all nice for the most part, some drivers were not the nicest.
OVER TIME
Driver Sales Representative (Former Employee), Fontana, CAJune 20, 2014
Pros: team player
HOURLY WAGES GOOD
DOCK AND DRIVER BENEFITS
FREE LUNCH
MATCH 401 K
THREE WEEKS VACATION ANNUAL AND ROLL IT OVER
UNIFORM
worst place to work
driver (Current Employee), PennsylvaniaJune 17, 2014
Pros: nothing!
Cons: dock worker 90% of the time not going to drive
This place starts you at a great rate but you are ether working 14+hours a day or not working at all I have worked here for 2 years and 90% of my time has been on a forklift. Through the winter don't count on working because you won't. The benefits are horrible and there management is the same you are on what they call a flex board you are on call from – more... 4 pm to 4 am or 4 am to 4 pm Monday through Saturday they tell you that you have holidays off but you work them. This is the worst job I have ever worked in my life! 99% of new hires quit within 3 months just ask them in your interview.......looking for another job now that's why I'm on this site... – less
Co-workers make the job
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Warren, MIJune 15, 2014
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: shifts are bid by seniority every year, so if you are new you are at risk of losing your shift/job every year.
I have excellent co-workers who really fill in the training gaps where the company leaves off. Great pay and benefits, unheard of these days in fact.
Downhill
Freight Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), OHJune 13, 2014
Pros: steady paycheck
Cons: long hours, no creativity, no voice.
CCX the precursor to Con-way was a great place to learn and grow. However, since the branding change and growth of the company front line supervisors have no voice and are constantly forced to accept new programs that have no basis and achieve no goals.
Con-Way in flux.
Driver (Current Employee), MinnesotaJune 13, 2014
Cons: no pension. terrible vehicle maintenance.
Con-ways tried and true no touch management style has succumb to the corporate world. Recently installed shift monitors and in cab cameras that are looked at every time they go off (not just referenced after an accident) installed at the end of the year, in loo of paying worker bonuses, lead to driver coaching and possible reprimands. Annual bids mean – more... annual change and every year they try the same old strategy's that didn't work last year.

There system is tight and works well until a small problem arises then it fails region wide. This could be weather or a management fail at one facility, that causes late departures, will affect an entire region. Sadly a management fail is more common than weather. – less
Could be so much more...
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), United StatesJune 10, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: everything else (please see my full review)
This company has the potential to be an amazing company. At this time they are in a cost saving downswing and the employees are suffering.

When I started several years ago the company seems to have things figured out. They were implementing Lean and the culture/morale was good. I enjoyed coming to work and the people I worked with.

Since then the – more... Con-way has rolled out program after failed program. Service centers are barely recovered from one morale crushing program when corporate forces out the next. They are outsourcing IT and have started making moves to centralized billing. My location is hemorrhaging business because of many of these changes.

Within 3 months of being employed at this company I received my first Letter of Instruction for an infraction they couldn't even prove. Let me put this into perspective, I am in my late 30s and have NEVER received any sort of discipline from a job. I never even had detention in school. It almost felt like they were making a case to terminate me from the second I walked in the door. All the while the true offenders (typically, but not always in a supervisor or management position) get by unscathed. Please don't think this is a disgruntled employee trying to damage a company's reputation. I am truly sincere when I warn potential employees that the company is struggling at this time. It is my honest hope that they can get things turned around because they really do have potential.

If you are young and intend to use this job as a stepping stone then you can gain some valuable experience. Just do not expect to be at this company long term unless they turn things around. – less
Dependent on what you are looking for.
Operations (Current Employee), MIJune 6, 2014
Pros: competitive pay and benefits
Cons: lack of management involvement, equating to lots of changes that do not correlate well with the reality of the business operations.
A great place to learn, if you are self driven.
The company had a great reputation when I came here and seemed to really care about everyone. Over the last year working in operations, there have been a lot of changes and no one seems to care about fixing the problems anymore.
Good Place to Work
Analyst (Former Employee), MichiganJune 3, 2014
Pros: flexible, caring company, solid benefits.
Cons: lack of opportunity
Pretty easy job overall, got boring. Management seems to care but nothing seems to change. Felt as though I was promised opportunity when I interviewed but nothing seems to come to fruition.

Friendly and helpful staff/management for the most part seemed to offset a lot of the issues.
Conway prides itself on keeping employees happy.
Billing Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), King of Prussia, PAMay 30, 2014
Pros: always have events and parties including lunch for employees.
Cons: any lateness or absence is on a point system.
Excellent pay and Benefits, evening hours just didn't work for me with a family at home. At times I wouldn't get home until 1am.
good first leg to star transportation
Driver (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 29, 2014
Pros: the peers an the customers
I really believe that anyone wanting to get into transportation that Conway is the way to go. The peers are great and team work is great.

1 2 3 4 5

About Con-way

Con-way Inc. is a freight transportation and logistics services company headquartered in Ann Arbor, Mich. Con-way delivers industry-leading – Read more