Reports To: Executive Director
Job Status: Full-time for 1 year with possibility for extension
Location: Western Canada (flexible within a variety of major centers)
WestGrid is one of four regional HPC consortia that operate and support Compute Canada’s national platform of supercomputing resources, which brings together computer and data facilities, computational expertise, and hundreds of academic researchers to tackle some of Canada’s biggest research challenges. Compute Canada serves a user community across the country in disciplines ranging from the sciences and engineering to arts and humanities. The partner institutions and resource centres that comprise the national platform are hubs of interdisciplinary computational research. Together, these distributed computing facilities work collaboratively to provide the expertise and resources necessary to give Canada’s researchers and innovators access to world-class technologies.
As one of Compute Canada’s largest regional divisions, WestGrid encompasses 15 partner institutions across British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Its user community is supported by a distributed and cohesive team of technical staff and system architects.
The Finance and Administration Manager manages the day to day financial and administration requirements for WestGrid. The position reports to the WestGrid Executive Director (ED) and works closely with the Executive Committee, Chief Technology Officer (CTO) and operational staff. The Finance and Administration manager acts as the liaison with WestGrid Partner Institutions in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba on all matters with respect to funding agreements, accounting and management.
Functions & Responsibilities
The Finance and Administration Manager will have duties related to Financial Management as well as Administrations. They will be responsible for but not limited to:
- Financial Management, budget preparation and submission to ED and Compute Canada
- Ensuring that CFI financial requirements as identified by the funding partners and agreements are met by the finance operations of all WestGrid member institutions
- Tracking and reporting on capital, operations and maintenance costs and ensuring appropriate allocation against funding sources
- Managing external funding contracts and participating in Compute Canada’s Finance and Administration committees.
- Reviewing revenue and expenditures, analyzing banner finance reports and designing spreadsheets to assist with the preparation of financial reports.
- Recommending and maintaining accounting procedures to ensure adequate control of financial activities.
- Maintaining day-to-day financial control of the services within required cost centres.
- Ensuring all financial transactions are properly administered and work with Compute Canada on appropriate accounting principles and financial regulations
- Preparing and reviewing detailed budgets for approval by the ED and Compute Canada.
- Making regular reports to the ED, Compute Canada, institutions and required committees on expenditures and any variations from budgets.
- Ensuring that all financial reporting obligations are met in relation to submissions for funding, for contracts and any other initiatives.
- Recommending financial controls where appropriate
- Overseeing the day to day finance and administration of WestGrid’s virtual head office
- Maintaining WestGrid’s relationship with the Research Services Office at the University of Alberta and all partner institutions.
- Tracking all software licensing and maintenance contract terms and costs
- Acting as liaison with other departments and universities
- Approving WestGrid purchases & disbursements
The successful candidate will have the following education, skills and abilities:
- 5-7 years of experience in accounting, financial management and general office administration
- An accounting designation (CA, CMA, CPA or CGA) or equivalent experience
- Experience with financial management and reporting in a multi funding agency model
- Experience contacting and working with senior officials, both internal and external
- Familiarity with Federal funding programs; experience with CFI policies and procedures would be an asset
- Ability to work independently in a high pressured environment, demonstrating effective time management skills
- Software proficiency – MS office/Banner Finance
- Proven leadership and management ability in the areas of Finance and Administration.
- Ability to work on own initiative, prioritize work, handle pressure and take day-to-day decisions on the running of the organization.
- Ability to develop, monitor and maintain management information systems and procedures.
- Experience of financial responsibility for a budget, including experience related to accounting principles and guidelines, end of year accounts and liaison with auditors.
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing, by video and over the telephone with individuals and with a wide variety of organizations and audiences
- Ability to research, analyze and interpret complex information and produce clear verbal and written reports
- Experience in project management/planning would be an asset
- Experience in management of research funding would be an asset
- Ability and willingness to travel regionally and nationally when required
- Ability to work from a home-based office
How to Apply
Candidates interested in applying for the role, should send their expression of interest and resume by email quoting the name of the position. We thank all applicants, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Indeed - 6 months ago