Compass Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace because of different faces daily and coworkers.
Customer Service Ambassador. (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 17, 2014
Marquise customer is for those who are transiting through jobs or to have temporary work while going to school or working elsewhere. I have been employed here for the last 5 years and salary and pay raises are not up to expectations. Living in an expensive city such as Vancouver, minimum pay is not cutting it. However, coworkers and helping each other interact with thousands of passengers daily is the reward.
Pros
free parking, medical benefits.
Cons
pay, hours, vacations, management.
Great Atmosphere
HOUSING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Fort MacKay, AlbertaJune 3, 2014
A typical day at work was filled with different tasks from checking guests in and out of camp rooms, to reporting and taking phone calls. I learned how to navigate several new computer programs, various computer skills and office related tasks. I worked with wonderful people, who I will cherish as friends for years to come. The hardest part of the job was the various shifts I was working, and being across the country/away from my family. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I met new people every single day. We checked up to hundreds of guests in per day, and several different companies from various places stayed in our camps.
Pros
free meals and living.
Cons
long hours (10-12 hours per shift 20 days straight)
okay company, but very cheap
housing (Current Employee) –  fort mcmurrayMay 22, 2014
Camp job is OKAY. The company pays below the industry standard, and we work 20 days on and 8 off. We have had maybe 5-10 new managers a year for the last 5 years. The company is cheap, if they paid us maybe $10,000 a year more, and gave us a 18-10 schedule, they would retain employees. Bosses seem to think we should have a lot of company pride, but we are making a third the money they are.
Pros
free food, good facilities
Cons
management sometimes takes themself too seriously
Unique work environment full of opportunity
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMay 11, 2014
- minimum 10 days hours, but usually always put in overtime.
- with my position I usually got to set my own work hours. During my time there I managed the retail department I sometimes would start working at 6am and then have to go back in at 11pm.
- typically early mornings; 6 or 7am start
- very busy environment, every day brought a new challenge, so lots of problem solving
Pros
growth & learning opportunities
Cons
Individuals are treated as replaceable regardless of their contribution to the workplace
Retail Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2014
Very difficult to manage work-life balance; most days were 10 to 12 hourse long but you only get paid for 8.
Staff and management turnover is very high.
Director and District Manager do not offer support, you are required to figure things out for yourself then are disciplined if your decision was the wrong one.
Unfair treatment of unit managers e.g. gave one manager three weeks off but another one was refused.
Independent Work
Food Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2014
A day starts off by counting your pouch and verifying your cash, then you are either driven or walked to your designated cart. There you spent long hours standing, sometimes in the shade, sometimes in the sun, and breaks usually are 4 hours into the shift. When the shift ends is decided on the day of, during the shift, therefore it is never certain. That would be a typical day.
fun environment
Cashier, Server (Current Employee) –  ville St. LaurentNovember 14, 2013
I enjoy my boss, coworkers and colleagues.
Typical day of work was serving customers, filling orders, inventory, lunch prep.
Management and co-workers are amazing to work with and communication was always great.
I can't really say that I am ever presented with difficult tasks. I have never really worked in an environment that was difficult or hard. I make it a point to enjoy my job and colleagues, be a team player and present trust so that even there may be situations, solutions are always there.
Pros
very understanding bosses
Good place to work. I am at the niagara college cafeteria.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Welland, ONOctober 21, 2013
It is like working an assembly line with food. I am working at the subway station at niagara college and I beleive every students are eating subs these days. My co-workers are pleasent and fun to work with. We work well as a team.I've learned safe handling of foods and to keep everything properly sanitized. The students are very pleasent and patient because the line-up for subway is always very long and we do our best to serve them pleasently and as quick as we can.
Pros
like working with people
Cons
not enough hours a week and too many lay-offs when school is out make it hard to budget
its fun to work here and gotta get a chance to meet different kinds of people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 23, 2013
typical day at work was seeing happy people that gives me inspiration to work.
i learned a lot from communication to cashier jobs and other related to that.
Management are so supportive and appreciative.
My co-workers are team oriented and like my brothers and sisters... were like family at work.
The hardest part of my job is when i can't give my customers the impossible thing they wanted like give them free stuff and that makes them upset.
The most enjoyable part is serving my customers and give them the best of my ability to make them contented and happy when they leave at the store.
Pros
making friends and learning new things
This is a enjoyable atmosphere to work at
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Head Office is in TorontoMay 6, 2013
In a typical day I do many jobs. Answering the phone. Fix problems
Tabulations for the Hot Meal Program. I create menus for the program. I get along well with my coworkers. I interact with the children at the High School which is one of my most favorite things to do in my day. I have been at this company for many years and have learned many things about working in the food industry. The hardest part of my job is to creat a balanced menu.
Pros
cheap lunches
Cons
some weeks have long hours
Not much security, do alot for no appreciation
Prep and caterer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJune 20, 2012
Prepare salad bar, stock cafe kiosk, stock Tim Hortons Kiosk, prepare sanwiches, and all prep for cafeteria and Tim Hortons at PRHC. I learned to do my job at a timely fashion, also do catering.
Management could be better.
My co-workers are great Iget along with people.
I really dont have a hard part its very easy same thing everyday.
Most enjoyable is we all get along so we laugh alot.
Pros
we pay 1.75 per day and can have breakfast and lunch.
Cons
they cut our hrs all the time and pay min wage and exspect so much from us
Alright place to work, not my choice in salary or managment
Kitchen Assistant/Cafeteria Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONAugust 1, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of the same thing everyday, prepare salad bar, deli bar, breakfast, etc. I learned lots about cooking and dealing with issues and people i didnt expect to come in contact with. A got along good with a lot of my co workers although i had a hard time some times with the other employee i worked with in the kitchen as she was further fired. There wasnt much in the job i couldnt handle i really loved seeing all of the customers everyday since we had the same ones so i got used to everyone and pretty much knew there orders.
Pros
free lunch, lots of contact with other people
Cons
managment
Fun Light Environment Workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 22, 2012
It was early mornings having to cook and serve Breakfast and cooking all day until dinner. As a student of George Brown it was basics in terms of food but developed better communication and pace of work. Strong management and daily work was great and involved fun working environment as well. Co workers were happy with what they did and easy going, and were able to play pool during our break. Hardest part of the Job was dealing with particular customers and the long hours will get to you some days. It was fun anything to do with working with food, I'm enjoying it.
Pros
free lunch, pool table, easy work
Beware of this company
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCOctober 29, 2012
Seems like a great job when you get hired but once you are in you will see reality. This company would make a great episode for Undercover Boss. Co-workers are awesome, management NOT so awesome. Pay is okay if you don't mind having to constantly submit paperwork for hours worked and not paid for. Staff is bitter and always complaining. Go to McDonalds for a job if you want to be respected and valued.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
long hours, useless management
Fun Job
Receptionist-Admin- Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga OnNovember 30, 2012
A typical day for me is Phonecalls--Property Management for issues within the office-Couriers-Mail. Just a very busy day for me. I have a little free time off an on. My Boss throws all the work on me since i have shown how capable i am.She is never in a good mood.The hardest part of my job is getting nasty phone calls but still being nice on the phone.I love Meeting and greeting clients who come come. I love helping anyone with their work. Almost everyone come to me for help for work or some issue in the office.
Pros
free time
Cons
long hours --8 am to 5 pm not flexible
Worst place to work
Counterhelp (Current Employee) –  TorontoMarch 12, 2013
Never have i seen a company that cut employees hours here and there just to save a few bucks and expect the ones working to work like a horse because they are to cheap to pay people to do work. Expect to work like a maniac to get things done! And management give hours to the one they like.Doesnt matter of your experience or what you do. Stay away!! Very very cheap company. Quantity not quality should be their motto. Theyre heavy on health and safety but the way the foods are put out there make you want to puke. If the paying customers only knew....
Pros
minimal prices for lunch
Cons
management. short staffed.
Saftey culture, good staff, excellant care of clients
Stock Distributer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, CanadaMay 12, 2013
Compass Group Canada held a strong value and culture of saftey both on and off the work sight. Very informative, and an environment of hard working staff. Enjoyable place to work, and the care and concerns of their clients on the sight was excellant as well.

We learned about keeping your mind on task while at work to avoid safety incidents. Saftey meetings were held on Wednesday mornings as well as a tool box talk review of the day and concerns at botht he begning and the end of the day. Managment was in a position of many transitions but handeled it well with the staff. Moral was upbeat.
Productive, fun, fast paced, trying different food, diversity
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Different locationsOctober 7, 2013
A typical day will start with manager labour and going to production line then to customer service. I have learned how to deal with workers and manage them on day to day basis.
share our success with other managers, building a respectful relationship.
The hardest part of the job was unpredictable long hours, load of work.
Trying new products and new recipes.
Pros
having food at work
Cons
unpredictable hours
Not recommended
Hospitality Associate - Victoria General Hospital (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 15, 2013
The job itself is easy to complete, once you learn it you know how to do it efficiently, however, this causes your time to drag on and feel mundane, management nit picks at you continually, the co workers are amazing and talking with them is always a joy, the lack of support at times causes a stressful day, but the smiles you put on the people you come in contact with makes the day go by.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
long hours, management priorities, pay discrepancies
I worked serving alcholic beverages.
BEER/LIQUOR BARTENDER (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONNovember 19, 2012
When I arrived I would first get the cash float for the day, count it & sign for it.
Then when I arrived at my station I would have to count all the different wine or liquior bottle & sign off for the counts.
When the doors opened for service I would serve the customers.
At the closing of the day I would then count & record what was sold from or inventory. As well I would have to count the money in the till & balance with the money room.