Compass Group Employee Reviews

It's a fun work place
FOOD SERVER/HOSTESS (Current Employee) –  Toronto Pearson Aiport,Terminal 13 November 2014
Receiving good benefits and learned at online training and on actual jobsite.
Pros
Meeting different people
Chartwells Food Service
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 May 2016
Great workplace, Great people, all in all an amazing experience. Working with a diverse group of people was great. The best part of the job was coming into work and serving new customers and also connecting with them.
Pros
diversity
Absolutely ridiculous
Housekeeper at a Long Term Living Facility (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 March 2016
The pay is always short, the hours are complete bs. They tell you it's a part time job, it's actually a casual. They have the absolute worst management and are simply disorganized.
I do not recommend working for this company.
Cons
All lies, no management, pay is wrong wveyr pay cheque.
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  21 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Dr,7 June 2016
We have a really energetic and young professional in our team who keep serving at their best and customers always leave with a big smile.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TORONTO ON11 July 2012
Regular working hours. Coverage of health & dental benefits. Recognises years of service every five years with a gift.
Pros
allowed to have meals for a small fee
Cons
lots of daily challenges
Parttime evening job with great people
Concession Worker (Former Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SK7 December 2015
Typically an evening job with the occasional day shift. A professional attire is a must along with great personable skills. The staff and management were incredible to work with, making the shifts fly by with ease. Stressful moments occurred when there was over ordering and the cooks could only do so much at a time. The food was great and customers were very rarely dissatisfied. Memorization was key.
Pros
Great people to work with, listening to the concerts
Cons
Rude or drunk customers
good place to work
Cashier/Server (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray13 August 2012
excellent union benefits, friendly co workers. enjoyed going to work, learned alot about food safely and kitchen safety.
Fun Light Environment Workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON22 October 2012
It was early mornings having to cook and serve Breakfast and cooking all day until dinner. As a student of George Brown it was basics in terms of food but developed better communication and pace of work. Strong management and daily work was great and involved fun working environment as well. Co workers were happy with what they did and easy going, and were able to play pool during our break. Hardest part of the Job was dealing with particular customers and the long hours will get to you some days. It was fun anything to do with working with food, I'm enjoying it.
Pros
free lunch, pool table, easy work
Cons
was a fun plce to work great co-workers
Banquet Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC14 October 2015
when i worked at the Civic Centre in Prince George for this company I worked very hard and long hours to make very little money so i left that job and looking for another job
Pros
co-workers
Cons
long hours without good pay
Fun Job
Receptionist-Admin- Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga On30 November 2012
A typical day for me is Phonecalls--Property Management for issues within the office-Couriers-Mail. Just a very busy day for me. I have a little free time off an on. My Boss throws all the work on me since i have shown how capable i am.She is never in a good mood.The hardest part of my job is getting nasty phone calls but still being nice on the phone.I love Meeting and greeting clients who come come. I love helping anyone with their work. Almost everyone come to me for help for work or some issue in the office.
Pros
free time
Cons
long hours --8 am to 5 pm not flexible
Great Management, Great Atmosphere/Service Culture
Supervisor / Server (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON3 January 2015
Opening the restaurant was made easy by the G.M. because everything was easily accessible and kept very tidy. The patrons of the restaurant were very friendly and rarely needed to be approached but attendance to them in a timely manner was the only hard part of the job because there were so many of them at times. The co-workers I had were extremely bright and hard working; there was rarely a job left undone by the end of the night which made closing up that much easier. The only bit of frustration would come when tournaments were held in the adjoining arenas which could create a downpour of customers of up to 200 with only 3-4 servers and 2-3 cooks on duty. Needless to say this was also amazing in its own way because that meant very little splitting of the tips we earned. Personally, I was advance several times to the second to the top position of the location with 14 months of work because as long as you could show potential and work hard, advancements were made ready.
Pros
Quick advancements, great people all around, good way to make money quickly
Cons
Slow times in the off season, busy rushes at (sometimes) unexpected times
very strict and performance based
ENVIROMENTAL SERVICES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 March 2016
unfortunately the company is more interested in revenue aspect only of the operations and wants nothing to to with personal growth and development
Individuals are treated as replaceable regardless of their contribution to the workplace
Retail Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 March 2014
Very difficult to manage work-life balance; most days were 10 to 12 hourse long but you only get paid for 8.
Staff and management turnover is very high.
Director and District Manager do not offer support, you are required to figure things out for yourself then are disciplined if your decision was the wrong one.
Unfair treatment of unit managers e.g. gave one manager three weeks off but another one was refused.
nice coworkers
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  George Brown college11 February 2016
easy going position with great staff and work place. no real career advantage to grow. Was laid off. Small areas for working.
Pros
people
Cons
no real advantage to career
Housekeeping/Laundry (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2016
My typical day working was Sweep, mop and wash floors

o Dust furniture, vacuum carpeting, area rugs, draperies and upholstered furniture.

o Wash and dry clothes, fold then distribute to specific patrons.
Pros
The seniors centre were nice place to work
Cons
to much work for 1 persone to do
If not for being away from you family so much would have been great job.
Camp Manager, ESS/On-Site (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BC9 February 2015
Typical day was 12 hours long, very good pay but not much of a life. We were supplied food and lodging for free and they paid for our transportation.
Pros
Free room and board.
Cons
Long hours and being away from family for so long.
Great first job that taught me how to be a hard worker
Jr. Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON20 August 2014
A normal day would start around 7am. We would prepare breakfast, pastries, lunch specials and other food items that were made fresh daily. We would also work to cater bar mitzvahs, bris' and other types of social events. As well we would cook for the high school next door.
There were always many things to do to keep busy, which made time go by quite fast. The most enjoyable part was that two days were never the same and there was always something different to expect each day.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours and the scheduling. Since things were always changing, you never knew what to expect. Some weeks would be extremely busy, while others were very slow with almost no hours.
For the most part I feel like I grew as a person and learned a lot about myself and working hard.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Schedule
Beware of this company
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 October 2012
Seems like a great job when you get hired but once you are in you will see reality. This company would make a great episode for Undercover Boss. Co-workers are awesome, management NOT so awesome. Pay is okay if you don't mind having to constantly submit paperwork for hours worked and not paid for. Staff is bitter and always complaining. Go to McDonalds for a job if you want to be respected and valued.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
long hours, useless management
Fast paced, fun work place.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 February 2016
In my experience at a Halifax location, this was a very fun and exciting job. Management could always be more attentive to the needs of employees, but it was still an enjoyable job.
fast paced work place with friendly co-workers and managers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Morrison, QC15 May 2015
The work place is very busy with thousands of customers to be served everyday. Work environment is very comfortable, with lots of space. Co- workers are very friendly and becomes a big family.

I have learned many aspects of handling customers here, angry customers, customers with disabilities, positive interaction with customers simultaneously keeping up with the work pace.

Management is very amiable.They listen to yours problems and try their best to solve them.

The hardest part of the job is spending prolonged period of hours to service customers.It gets incredibly busy at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having to meet your co workers who have become good friends and also getting to meet regular customers.
Pros
provides wide range of food items to eat with less money.
Cons
Somedays it gets vert busy.