Compass Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Great co-workers
Dishwasher &Kitchen Help (Former Employee) –  Toronto MuseumSeptember 3, 2015
I really enjoyed performing my duties. I appreciated all the support from my co-workers. I was very dedicated to my position and always performed to the best of my ability.
Pros
Always busy
Cons
Taking out garbage
Fun place to work
Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TORONTO ONJuly 11, 2012
Regular working hours. Coverage of health & dental benefits. Recognises years of service every five years with a gift.
Pros
allowed to have meals for a small fee
Cons
lots of daily challenges
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, ONJune 30, 2015
Management very good. Daily log check and payroll hours. Unfortunately losing a contract I was unable to stay. People their were great to work with.
Pros
Nice environment
Cons
Downsizing
good place to work
Cashier/Server (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurrayAugust 13, 2012
excellent union benefits, friendly co workers. enjoyed going to work, learned alot about food safely and kitchen safety.
Fun Light Environment Workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 22, 2012
It was early mornings having to cook and serve Breakfast and cooking all day until dinner. As a student of George Brown it was basics in terms of food but developed better communication and pace of work. Strong management and daily work was great and involved fun working environment as well. Co workers were happy with what they did and easy going, and were able to play pool during our break. Hardest part of the Job was dealing with particular customers and the long hours will get to you some days. It was fun anything to do with working with food, I'm enjoying it.
Pros
free lunch, pool table, easy work
Not recommended
Kitchen Staff / Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  North YorkMay 13, 2015
Very unpleasant work place as well as bad management and staff; I won't recommend it to anyone.
You will be standing on your feet for over 8 hours of the day as well as the break and lunch some times you force to not take them as it is very busy and always short staff to save salaries.
Very busy organization!
Director of Food and Beverage Services, (Current Employee) –  LondonJuly 1, 2015
Great staff to work with. Incredibly busy company that continues to grow. Hours can be tough, but company allows for entrepreneurship.
Great first job that taught me how to be a hard worker
Jr. Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONAugust 20, 2014
A normal day would start around 7am. We would prepare breakfast, pastries, lunch specials and other food items that were made fresh daily. We would also work to cater bar mitzvahs, bris' and other types of social events. As well we would cook for the high school next door.
There were always many things to do to keep busy, which made time go by quite fast. The most enjoyable part was that two days were never the same and there was always something different to expect each day.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours and the scheduling. Since things were always changing, you never knew what to expect. Some weeks would be extremely busy, while others were very slow with almost no hours.
For the most part I feel like I grew as a person and learned a lot about myself and working hard.
Pros
fun work environment
Cons
schedule
Professional office work environment
Corporate Concierge (Current Employee) –  TD Canada Trust 380 Wellington St. London, ONMay 4, 2015
A typical day at work:
Assist bank employees in all aspects of their work day.
Communicate with vendors to keep everything stocked.

Management is extremely helpful and is willing to answer any question I may have.

I have weekly meetings with my manager and co-workers
Fun Job
Receptionist-Admin- Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga OnNovember 30, 2012
A typical day for me is Phonecalls--Property Management for issues within the office-Couriers-Mail. Just a very busy day for me. I have a little free time off an on. My Boss throws all the work on me since i have shown how capable i am.She is never in a good mood.The hardest part of my job is getting nasty phone calls but still being nice on the phone.I love Meeting and greeting clients who come come. I love helping anyone with their work. Almost everyone come to me for help for work or some issue in the office.
Pros
free time
Cons
long hours --8 am to 5 pm not flexible
Individuals are treated as replaceable regardless of their contribution to the workplace
Retail Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2014
Very difficult to manage work-life balance; most days were 10 to 12 hourse long but you only get paid for 8.
Staff and management turnover is very high.
Director and District Manager do not offer support, you are required to figure things out for yourself then are disciplined if your decision was the wrong one.
Unfair treatment of unit managers e.g. gave one manager three weeks off but another one was refused.
Terrible management, will hire ANYONE, terrible hours (Airport), luxurious environment (Airport Lounge)
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 30, 2014
I worked for Compass for 4 years and enjoyed close to 10% of my time there. The only time I had an enjoyable experience is with no management to GET IN THE WAY, and when the more knowledgeable and competent staff were in. This place seems so desperate to hire (based on the fact that anyone, at anytime will call in sick and not show) that they literally hire anyone. Most times they have various people in from an agency that know nothing about what needs to be done, and food service suffers. They offer free food for breaks, and pay MODERATELY for kitchen work, with ZERO room for advancement. The management I encountered were completely incompetent, and literally knew nothing about what needed to happen to have food service run smoothly. Assistant managers were found watching TV, or chatting with front desk female agents instead of making sure employees were doing their jobs, or helping out when there was a big rush. Compass Group is the WORST for following through with complaints from staff about anything, the union rep is LAZY and accomplishes NOTHING. Overall I personally would never work for Compass in any magnitude ever again.
Pros
free food for breaks
Cons
management, hours, union sucks, fellow employees incompetent, food is pretty good
great fast-paced job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BCJune 14, 2015
this job was very fast paced and very demanding. it was very long and exhausting hours. coworkers were very fun to be around, everyone there loved to have fun.
Pros
50% meals
Cons
long exhausting hours, far location
Management was amazing as were the co-workers.
Food Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONMarch 31, 2015
-Clean, stock, serve customers and clean.

-Customer satisfaction is the top priority.

-Management was excellent, we were always taken care of and fully informed of upcoming events.

-Absolutely loved everyone i worked with.

-Getting to and from work

-Our team was like a family.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
transportation
Great place to work. Well trained staff and daily training schedule. Management very supportive. Co-worker great to work with. The hardest part is wh
Food Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 19, 2015
Great place to work.
Well trained staff and daily training schedule.
Management very supportive.
Co-worker great to work with.
The hardest part is when we close for the Xmas holiday and Summer.
The best part of the job is, when you are envoled with your work so much that you tend to get lost with time.
Pros
free parking, day off at x.mas, summer, leiu days
Cons
package.
Not recommended
Hospitality Associate - Victoria General Hospital (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCFebruary 15, 2013
The job itself is easy to complete, once you learn it you know how to do it efficiently, however, this causes your time to drag on and feel mundane, management nit picks at you continually, the co workers are amazing and talking with them is always a joy, the lack of support at times causes a stressful day, but the smiles you put on the people you come in contact with makes the day go by.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
long hours, management priorities, pay discrepancies
Great Atmosphere
HOUSING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Fort MacKay, AlbertaJune 3, 2014
A typical day at work was filled with different tasks from checking guests in and out of camp rooms, to reporting and taking phone calls. I learned how to navigate several new computer programs, various computer skills and office related tasks. I worked with wonderful people, who I will cherish as friends for years to come. The hardest part of the job was the various shifts I was working, and being across the country/away from my family. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I met new people every single day. We checked up to hundreds of guests in per day, and several different companies from various places stayed in our camps.
Pros
free meals and living.
Cons
long hours (10-12 hours per shift 20 days straight)
seasonal
Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga OntarioNovember 12, 2014
Management was vary weak was hard for the manager to come up with a decision regarding on who is working were Always had to ask for stuff to do my job always had to run around and ask were staff was and put them to work and I was only a server not supervisor.

Pay was vary low always had to ask for my correct pay had a turn over off staff almost every month the hole year I worked their.
at the university

Management was vary rude to their employees all in all not a great place to work with done by Managers great co workers loved every second of it when I was working with co workers but Management needed to change
Pros
great co workers
Cons
management was week low pay
line cook
Kitchen Helper/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 14, 2015
served client, do breakfast , diner and lunch. I learn how to cook in this company.The hardest part of the job was when you have a rush you need to go really fast.
Beware of this company
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCOctober 29, 2012
Seems like a great job when you get hired but once you are in you will see reality. This company would make a great episode for Undercover Boss. Co-workers are awesome, management NOT so awesome. Pay is okay if you don't mind having to constantly submit paperwork for hours worked and not paid for. Staff is bitter and always complaining. Go to McDonalds for a job if you want to be respected and valued.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
long hours, useless management

Comment – January 24, 2013

I am in total agreement. I worked under the private contractor in healthcare. This company does not care about the patients or their employees. They care about profit and profit only. THe patients, workers have all suffered for it.