Compass Group Employee Reviews in Canada

fun workplace
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  university of calgaryOctober 25, 2015
great teamwork
worked as full-time
fun to work with coworkers
helpful coworkers
caring supervisor
helpful coworkers
have union
benefits
Cons
no employee discount on food
Not a great company to work for
Food Prep, Serve, Cleaning, Dishes (Current Employee) –  Windsor, NSOctober 2, 2015
I have worked for Compass Group for 6 years . No advancement in the company in my area. No seniority when available jobs should be posted for all employee's to be able to apply for in house positions not to be given to another employee automatically
Pros
Cons
no job advancement
Fun workplace because of different faces daily and coworkers.
Customer Service Ambassador. (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 17, 2014
Marquise customer is for those who are transiting through jobs or to have temporary work while going to school or working elsewhere. I have been employed here for the last 5 years and salary and pay raises are not up to expectations. Living in an expensive city such as Vancouver, minimum pay is not cutting it. However, coworkers and helping each other interact with thousands of passengers daily is the reward.
Pros
free parking, medical benefits.
Cons
pay, hours, vacations, management.
fast paced work place with friendly co-workers and managers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Morrison, QCMay 15, 2015
The work place is very busy with thousands of customers to be served everyday. Work environment is very comfortable, with lots of space. Co- workers are very friendly and becomes a big family.

I have learned many aspects of handling customers here, angry customers, customers with disabilities, positive interaction with customers simultaneously keeping up with the work pace.

Management is very amiable.They listen to yours problems and try their best to solve them.

The hardest part of the job is spending prolonged period of hours to service customers.It gets incredibly busy at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having to meet your co workers who have become good friends and also getting to meet regular customers.
Pros
provides wide range of food items to eat with less money.
Cons
Somedays it gets vert busy.
good place
Bilingual Technical Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, ONJanuary 5, 2016
good place to work, 1 hour lunches on friday, great enviroment,
free food, ice cream, and lots of other perks.great people and managers
Great Management, Great Atmosphere/Service Culture
Supervisor / Server (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJanuary 3, 2015
Opening the restaurant was made easy by the G.M. because everything was easily accessible and kept very tidy. The patrons of the restaurant were very friendly and rarely needed to be approached but attendance to them in a timely manner was the only hard part of the job because there were so many of them at times. The co-workers I had were extremely bright and hard working; there was rarely a job left undone by the end of the night which made closing up that much easier. The only bit of frustration would come when tournaments were held in the adjoining arenas which could create a downpour of customers of up to 200 with only 3-4 servers and 2-3 cooks on duty. Needless to say this was also amazing in its own way because that meant very little splitting of the tips we earned. Personally, I was advance several times to the second to the top position of the location with 14 months of work because as long as you could show potential and work hard, advancements were made ready.
Pros
quick advancements, great people all around, good way to make money quickly
Cons
slow times in the off season, busy rushes at (sometimes) unexpected times
long hours unfair wages
Manager/Cook (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste Marie, OntarioJuly 12, 2014
WAke up at 3am go in to work off the clock to get all meals prepared for the day and caterings that are needed for that day. Will not pay over time but expect all work to be done. Iam manager, order all foods for the work, do all paperwork, cook, serve customers, all for almost minimum wage. The hardest part of the job is knowing that they want all work done, but do not want to pay for an employee that wants to provide quality food, keep standards up and complete all tasks each day. The most enjoyable part of the day is hearing how much the customers appreciate the new menus and food they are paying for and I bring them that happiness.
benefits
Cons
very long hours unpaid for
Relaxing and engaging.
Mobile Floor Steward (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 3, 2015
We were contracted by Shell Oil and Gas to make sure that all mobile desks in the office were free of garbage and had all the appropriate networking cables so that employee's could work at the mobile desks without having to clean up after another person.
Pros
Low to No Supervision, Great pay.
Cons
Only night shifts, always after 5pm.
Fast paced , industrial
Environmental Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONNovember 14, 2015
Promoted to build and run this company from the ground up. Supporting the Industrial chrome plating industry for the GMC front and rear pick up truck bumpers.
Pros
Working with a good crew
Cons
Business closed because of a recession.
Productive and dynamic
Food Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Niagara CollegeAugust 3, 2015
Great atmosphere for growth and conductivity in the college sector. Great management interaction at all levels. Lots of room to develop new skills.
Fun Light Environment Workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 22, 2012
It was early mornings having to cook and serve Breakfast and cooking all day until dinner. As a student of George Brown it was basics in terms of food but developed better communication and pace of work. Strong management and daily work was great and involved fun working environment as well. Co workers were happy with what they did and easy going, and were able to play pool during our break. Hardest part of the Job was dealing with particular customers and the long hours will get to you some days. It was fun anything to do with working with food, I'm enjoying it.
Pros
free lunch, pool table, easy work
Cons
Great employers, wonderful to work for.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 16, 2013
It was a pleasure to work for Compass Group Canada. Within a year there was opportunity for advancement. Management was extraordinary and welcoming. Downfalls included irregular shifts & pay due to on and off work.
Pros
management, staff, advancement opportunites
Cons
salary, guaranteed hours
Fun Job
Receptionist-Admin- Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga OnNovember 30, 2012
A typical day for me is Phonecalls--Property Management for issues within the office-Couriers-Mail. Just a very busy day for me. I have a little free time off an on. My Boss throws all the work on me since i have shown how capable i am.She is never in a good mood.The hardest part of my job is getting nasty phone calls but still being nice on the phone.I love Meeting and greeting clients who come come. I love helping anyone with their work. Almost everyone come to me for help for work or some issue in the office.
Pros
free time
Cons
long hours --8 am to 5 pm not flexible
a fun place to work
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 3, 2015
a fun place to work, the co-workers were great to work with
i learnt alot about cleaning and safely take out garbage
the boss did not have any problem getting his hands dirty when we were behind on are dutys
A great companay to work for..my job is never boring..always changing depending on the day and the students I serve
High School Cafeteria Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Essex CountyAugust 17, 2015
Compass has been the best place for me to work..working with teenagers keeps you on your toes...Work alone at the unit , but have managed units with part time employees..just an over all great experience..have learned so much from Compass over the years
Pros
Solid reputable company to work for..
Cons
after 20 yrs..can't think of any
Routines workplace
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 15, 2015
Not challenge at all, every day routine and dealing with same people such as coo-workers, client, and customers. Most important part of the job was learning new topics about Health and Safety, Ant - bulling and harassment workplace.
Pros
One hour break time
Cons
No life-wok balance
Terrible management, will hire ANYONE, terrible hours (Airport), luxurious environment (Airport Lounge)
Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 30, 2014
I worked for Compass for 4 years and enjoyed close to 10% of my time there. The only time I had an enjoyable experience is with no management to GET IN THE WAY, and when the more knowledgeable and competent staff were in. This place seems so desperate to hire (based on the fact that anyone, at anytime will call in sick and not show) that they literally hire anyone. Most times they have various people in from an agency that know nothing about what needs to be done, and food service suffers. They offer free food for breaks, and pay MODERATELY for kitchen work, with ZERO room for advancement. The management I encountered were completely incompetent, and literally knew nothing about what needed to happen to have food service run smoothly. Assistant managers were found watching TV, or chatting with front desk female agents instead of making sure employees were doing their jobs, or helping out when there was a big rush. Compass Group is the WORST for following through with complaints from staff about anything, the union rep is LAZY and accomplishes NOTHING. Overall I personally would never work for Compass in any magnitude ever again.
Pros
free food for breaks
Cons
management, hours, union sucks, fellow employees incompetent, food is pretty good
Individuals are treated as replaceable regardless of their contribution to the workplace
Retail Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2014
Very difficult to manage work-life balance; most days were 10 to 12 hourse long but you only get paid for 8.
Staff and management turnover is very high.
Director and District Manager do not offer support, you are required to figure things out for yourself then are disciplined if your decision was the wrong one.
Unfair treatment of unit managers e.g. gave one manager three weeks off but another one was refused.
Steady employment with benefits working with food and youth :)
Unit Manager (Former Employee) –  Orillia OntarioOctober 21, 2015
For the most part this was an excellent position to fill. Very demanding some days but very rewarding to know that one customer's day could change with a smile and a purchase of a cookie!!
Good experience for a young person
Western Fair general labourer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioAugust 19, 2014
Enjoyed working as a runner for spectators in suites at a national sporting event. I was under-age, but felt valued and praised for hard work.
Pros
pay above minimum wage