Compass Group

1.2K reviews

Compass Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Not much security, do alot for no appreciation
Prep and caterer (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONJune 20, 2012
Pros: we pay 1.75 per day and can have breakfast and lunch.
Cons: they cut our hrs all the time and pay min wage and exspect so much from us
Prepare salad bar, stock cafe kiosk, stock Tim Hortons Kiosk, prepare sanwiches, and all prep for cafeteria and Tim Hortons at PRHC. I learned to do my job at a timely fashion, also do catering.
Management could be better.
My co-workers are great Iget along with people.
I really dont have a hard part its very easy same thing everyday.
Most enjoyable is we all get along so we laugh alot.

August 26, 2012

Very deceitful management will lie to employees , make promises that don't intend to keep, overwork staff, harass staff, threaten staff under pay them regarding industry rates no appreciation for any staff. This company"s management love to play GOD. Will lay you off when ever, think of only themselves and their personal gain and profit at any cost. Never in my 26 years as a Chef, have i ever encountered a company that truly lacks interpersonal skills along with understanding of the word HOSPITALITY . Beware of Compass they love to sugar coat just to get anyone regardless of experience training or certification.

January 24, 2013

I totally agree with the comment added to this. This company will lie, cheat, steal & cripple their employees and not blink an eye. In a hospital setting they do not care about the patients,or their employees, they care about one thing only and that is profit and profit only.

its fun to work here and gotta get a chance to meet different kinds of people
Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 23, 2013
Pros: making friends and learning new things
typical day at work was seeing happy people that gives me inspiration to work.
i learned a lot from communication to cashier jobs and other related to that.
Management are so supportive and appreciative.
My co-workers are team oriented and like my brothers and sisters... were like family at work.
The hardest part of my job is when i can't give my customers the impossible thing they wanted like give them free stuff and that makes them upset.
The most enjoyable part is serving my customers and give them the best of my ability to make them contented and happy when they leave at the store.
Great place, great co-workers.
Retail Associate/Server (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 9, 2015
Pros: Free food/drinks.
Cons: None.
A typical day usually would start with a meeting, going over a lot of training provided. While getting everyone involved in carefully reading every guideline. I learned that teamwork is needed in order to survive in this workplace setting. Management is good, they are very at tentative. They have good emotional intelligence. The hardest part of the job is getting the speed down, hustling to serve every customer while maintaining an upbeat attitude and great customer service. The most enjoyable part of the part of the job would have to be the employee appreciation day, getting to know your co-workers at a different level.
Fun Light Environment Workplace
Cook (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 22, 2012
Pros: free lunch, pool table, easy work
Cons: long hours
It was early mornings having to cook and serve Breakfast and cooking all day until dinner. As a student of George Brown it was basics in terms of food but developed better communication and pace of work. Strong management and daily work was great and involved fun working environment as well. Co workers were happy with what they did and easy going, and were able to play pool during our break. Hardest part of the Job was dealing with particular customers and the long hours will get to you some days. It was fun anything to do with working with food, I'm enjoying it.
seasonal
Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga OntarioNovember 12, 2014
Pros: great co workers
Cons: management was week low pay
Management was vary weak was hard for the manager to come up with a decision regarding on who is working were Always had to ask for stuff to do my job always had to run around and ask were staff was and put them to work and I was only a server not supervisor.

Pay was vary low always had to ask for my correct pay had a turn over off staff almost every month the hole year I worked their.
at the university

Management was vary rude to their employees all in all not a great place to work with done by Managers great co workers loved every second of it when I was working with co workers but Management needed to change
Saftey culture, good staff, excellant care of clients
Stock Distributer (Former Employee), Edmonton, AB, CanadaMay 12, 2013
Compass Group Canada held a strong value and culture of saftey both on and off the work sight. Very informative, and an environment of hard working staff. Enjoyable place to work, and the care and concerns of their clients on the sight was excellant as well.

We learned about keeping your mind on task while at work to avoid safety incidents. Saftey meetings were held on Wednesday mornings as well as a tool box talk review of the day and concerns at botht he begning and the end of the day. Managment was in a position of many transitions but handeled it well with the staff. Moral was upbeat.
Fun workplace because of different faces daily and coworkers.
Customer Service Ambassador. (Current Employee), Richmond, BCJune 17, 2014
Pros: free parking, medical benefits.
Cons: pay, hours, vacations, management.
Marquise customer is for those who are transiting through jobs or to have temporary work while going to school or working elsewhere. I have been employed here for the last 5 years and salary and pay raises are not up to expectations. Living in an expensive city such as Vancouver, minimum pay is not cutting it. However, coworkers and helping each other interact with thousands of passengers daily is the reward.
Individuals are treated as replaceable regardless of their contribution to the workplace
Retail Food Service Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 13, 2014
Very difficult to manage work-life balance; most days were 10 to 12 hourse long but you only get paid for 8.
Staff and management turnover is very high.
Director and District Manager do not offer support, you are required to figure things out for yourself then are disciplined if your decision was the wrong one.
Unfair treatment of unit managers e.g. gave one manager three weeks off but another one was refused.
Fast paced work place with friendly co-workers and managers
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), St. John's, NLMay 17, 2015
Extremely busy/fast paced work environment. However, people call in sick all the time, and at some point it gets really hard to work in a constant busy place with less co workers, but you can't always blame them for not coming in, the work itself it very tiring if you're doing a full time job. Most times it feels like the management is not going a great job finding enough workers, or getting their workers the benefits they need/deserves, otherwise the managers are very friendly.
Great work environment, no room for growth within company
Office Administrator (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 11, 2015
Pros: Fun staff/coworkers, lunch accomodation
Cons: Not a big enough company to grow within
I really enjoy working with this company, my team is great, my manager is a good smart man who has taught me a few things already since being with the company for a few months. But on the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any room for growing within the company and as I would like to expand my knowledge and experience, I believe it is time for me to look elsewhere for this opportunity.
Not recommended
Hospitality Associate - Victoria General Hospital (Current Employee), Victoria, BCFebruary 15, 2013
Pros: coworkers
Cons: long hours, management priorities, pay discrepancies
The job itself is easy to complete, once you learn it you know how to do it efficiently, however, this causes your time to drag on and feel mundane, management nit picks at you continually, the co workers are amazing and talking with them is always a joy, the lack of support at times causes a stressful day, but the smiles you put on the people you come in contact with makes the day go by.
A great companay to work for..my job is never boring..always changing depending on the day and the students I serve
High School Cafeteria Supervisor (Current Employee), Essex CountyAugust 17, 2015
Pros: Solid reputable company to work for..
Cons: after 20 yrs..can't think of any
Compass has been the best place for me to work..working with teenagers keeps you on your toes...Work alone at the unit , but have managed units with part time employees..just an over all great experience..have learned so much from Compass over the years
okay company, but very cheap
housing (Current Employee), fort mcmurrayMay 22, 2014
Pros: free food, good facilities
Cons: management sometimes takes themself too seriously
Camp job is OKAY. The company pays below the industry standard, and we work 20 days on and 8 off. We have had maybe 5-10 new managers a year for the last 5 years. The company is cheap, if they paid us maybe $10,000 a year more, and gave us a 18-10 schedule, they would retain employees. Bosses seem to think we should have a lot of company pride, but we are making a third the money they are.
fun environment
Cashier, Server (Current Employee), ville St. LaurentNovember 14, 2013
Pros: very understanding bosses
I enjoy my boss, coworkers and colleagues.
Typical day of work was serving customers, filling orders, inventory, lunch prep.
Management and co-workers are amazing to work with and communication was always great.
I can't really say that I am ever presented with difficult tasks. I have never really worked in an environment that was difficult or hard. I make it a point to enjoy my job and colleagues, be a team player and present trust so that even there may be situations, solutions are always there.
This is a enjoyable atmosphere to work at
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Head Office is in TorontoMay 6, 2013
Pros: cheap lunches
Cons: some weeks have long hours
In a typical day I do many jobs. Answering the phone. Fix problems
Tabulations for the Hot Meal Program. I create menus for the program. I get along well with my coworkers. I interact with the children at the High School which is one of my most favorite things to do in my day. I have been at this company for many years and have learned many things about working in the food industry. The hardest part of my job is to creat a balanced menu.
Unique work environment full of opportunity
Manager (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABMay 11, 2014
Pros: growth & learning opportunities
Cons: long hours
- minimum 10 days hours, but usually always put in overtime.
- with my position I usually got to set my own work hours. During my time there I managed the retail department I sometimes would start working at 6am and then have to go back in at 11pm.
- typically early mornings; 6 or 7am start
- very busy environment, every day brought a new challenge, so lots of problem solving
Fun workplace, diverse working atmospheres and locations
Catering Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2015
I have been working with compass group for over 3 years now. I enjoy working corporate 9-5 hours even within a hospitality environment. I feel like the people higher up in the company have a great sense of corporate responsibility, and despite the fact that are the largest food service provider in North America, there is a good sense of community and I have always felt like everyone cares about each of their employees.
Parttime evening job with great people
Concession Worker (Former Employee), Moose Jaw, SKDecember 7, 2015
Pros: Great people to work with, listening to the concerts
Cons: Rude or drunk customers
Typically an evening job with the occasional day shift. A professional attire is a must along with great personable skills. The staff and management were incredible to work with, making the shifts fly by with ease. Stressful moments occurred when there was over ordering and the cooks could only do so much at a time. The food was great and customers were very rarely dissatisfied. Memorization was key.
Four HS Sector Managers in Ontario and a separate Claims Team
Health and Safety Sector Manager (Current Employee), ONOctober 21, 2014
Pros: food service company
Cons: leisure units predominately operate 7 days a week
Sector HS Managers are accountable for units across Canada. Regional HS Managers out of Ontario do not report into Sector Managers. Travel outside of Ontario is not approved. HS Director position still vacant (8months so far) program on hold. HS Managers work in silo's without HS Director. HS Managers initiate the claims process and are expected to follow up on corrective actions.
Beware of this company
Hospitality Associate (Former Employee), Victoria, BCOctober 29, 2012
Pros: co-workers
Cons: long hours, useless management
Seems like a great job when you get hired but once you are in you will see reality. This company would make a great episode for Undercover Boss. Co-workers are awesome, management NOT so awesome. Pay is okay if you don't mind having to constantly submit paperwork for hours worked and not paid for. Staff is bitter and always complaining. Go to McDonalds for a job if you want to be respected and valued.

January 24, 2013

I am in total agreement. I worked under the private contractor in healthcare. This company does not care about the patients or their employees. They care about profit and profit only. THe patients, workers have all suffered for it.

Headquarters