Compass Group Employee Reviews

Great Work/Life Balance!
Line Cook & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2017
Management was always changing, Pay wasn't horrible however their pay increases could be higher. Not many chances for advancement, but you are able to work independently.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management
fun
Stewart/Laundry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador1 February 2017
was a great work experience, learned a lot and met a lot of great people along the way. nothing compares to the simple and passionate friendships made.
very demanding place to work
manager/cook/baker (Former Employee) –  across Northern Canada25 January 2017
they place too much on production, and nothing for the worker. Work hard, not enough people, unrealistic expectations from one person. People however are great and most are in good humor.
Pros
pay is not bad
Cons
long hours, never enough help
Good place as a first full-time job
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 January 2017
Good pay rate, fun environment, good hours, awesome benefits. Great place to start working full-time. Very happy with this job.
Productive, efficient, and quick learner
Camp Manager (Lac Des Iles Mine) (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 January 2017
great company, offers good benefit package, with opertunity to advance.
the only disadvantage for my current employment is being away from from home half the year.
Never any advancement and very low salary
Master Chef (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB18 November 2016
I worked for three years for Compass Group, as a Supervisor of the Kitchen. I worked with people who were either skilled at their job or had no training to be there. As part of my job I was to train new employees to their station, I also was to keep the kitchen in an even run, never was I ever given any credit for my service or was I offered advancement or given a raise in pay.

Instead I was given two awards, paper certificates, for a job well done and two months later I was laid off, without cause.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no pay, no advancement, no credit for the work
Poorly run.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 October 2016
My job at Compass Group was a newly created position, and no one really knew what to do with me. Customer volume demanded an extra management body on site to help with efficiency and training. My manager was ill suited for his position and was unable to teach me much at all. The company had people in customer service positions with now experience and with a poor attitude towards learning the craft.
Pros
Lots of room for advancement
Cons
Poor management team, unrealistic expectations, poor training regimen
cashier
Part time retail sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 October 2016
worked as a cashier for the pan am games during the 2015 summer. My job was serving customers there food and cashing them out.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
really busy
Day to day job with no advancement opportunities
Head Custodian (Current Employee) –  Apsley, ON4 October 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job is the kids.
Working Monday to Friday is a bonus and having weekends off.
The job can be very demanding at times.
Overall a good company to work for.
Executive Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 October 2016
Good Company to work for . Work life balance and good benefits.
valuable and on going training provided. Good support system. Good job security and lot of opportunity.
Food service mississauga
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 October 2016
The location I worked has the worst management I have ever worked for. The turn around is so high that I am shocked that the upper management has not changed it up.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Management, wage
Terrible management and team morale
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  British Columbia23 September 2016
I have never worked for a company who cares so little for their employees. They do not honor or appreciate hard work from anyone, they have no idea how to treat staff. this company is all about the numbers. The management who sit in their offices benefit while the people actually doing the work get absolutely nothing. Most of the time the management team just sits in the back and pushes papers, never mind that they are still part of the team and should be helping where necessary. The food service industry is like a machine, it's either well oiled and runs smoothly or you get that one kink that brings it all crashing down. This is what working for Compas Canada is like. Good luck and stay away!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, low pay, no appreciation, treated as replaceable all the time
good company to work for...great people
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2016
I start my day early, making soups for the day. Then begin dinner prep. By 430 pm dinner is ready for the first group of night shift clients. Service is 4 hours and we batch cook throughout the entire service so food is always fresh & hot. During service we are prepping for next days dinner as well.
I have worked with many people during my years with Compass Group and am always learning new cooking techniques and recipes.
My management team is great and very supportive. My co-workers are all team players and we always help one another out.
The toughest part of the job is being away from home for such long stretches.
I love to cook so getting paid for something I love to do is a bonus.
I will play at my breek or lunch time.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 September 2016
I respect my boss and co workers.
I do my job for long hours.
I follow my supervisor instructions.
I don't get to tired.
I do on time my job. If I understand I will ask my supervisor
Pros
I eat my lunch
poor management
cook/general help (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 September 2016
compass is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. I was sworn at twice by our food service director..we were told to do online line training at home on our own time which took approx. 18hrs and we were only compensated 2hrs. then they promote only the ones they like. This is a company I wish I had never worked with they do not give any opp to advance. If you value all your hard work in the culinary business DO NOT ever work for compass you will regret it.
Pros
hours
Cons
poor management
Stressful but with right coworkers you can achieve a lot
Food Service and Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 September 2016
Working in food services can often be very stressful, but with the right staff and right coworkers you can achieve a lot of things and grow very much within the company.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours, low budgets
Harsh and unfair enviroment.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2016
Worked as a dish washer, their was an inspection going on so the inspector told me to stop washing dishes for a half hour. I was told to do things not allowed at my age and were dangerous, i refused and got fired.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Very little break, harsh enviroment, unclean, borderline blue collar
Great place to learn and great leadership training
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON7 September 2016
Days went by quickly, constantly busy.
I learned how to speak with different types of customers. (Worked in a hospital)
Management guided me how to present myself towards harder customers and how to deal with employee relations.
My co-workers where awesome we all got along for most of the time.
The hardest part was have my co-worker differentiate the difference between me as a friend and me as a lead hand.
Best part was the different people i got to interact with on a daily basis.
Pros
Free meals, snacks and drinks
Cons
Understaffed
Great place! Great People!
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC22 August 2016
Co-workers are exceedingly helpful and management is supportive. The main job itself can be tedious but there are always projects to be done that allows for variety.
Excellent
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 August 2016
In this location i got to work along side an amazing head chef. Work high end functions at the Gibsons Lounge. Staff was elite and knew there stuff. Working action stations as well as concerts and sporting events was the highlight.
Pros
Amazing head Chef!
Cons
Down time