Compass Group

1.2K reviews

Compass Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It was more of a business feel rather then a hospitality company
Associate And Dishwasher (Former Employee), Mississauga OntarioAugust 9, 2014
Pros: great staff to work with
Cons: lack off communication and no holidays
When I worked here as an Associate it wasn't all that great the jobs were always seasonal during the school season so after 9 months we were left hanging for 4 months until the new year came around to work again we were always on our toes afraid that our jobs would be taken away even though we worked by the book of hospitality and customer service their was a lack off management and communication from Managers of the company towards its team members and associates and when their was communication it was always barking back at the employee's rather then true leadership training.

I worked their for several years And I never really remember'd a happy day at work other then my team members the team members always lifted everyone's days they were the main reason why I went back several times to work at Compass group and when I was leaving compass group to go back to Culinary college compass group never really supported their staff in going back to school or exercised their appreciation for their employee's. And when I was leaving it was really hard to get my vacations pay and my final pay checks my boss always tried to push me out instead of working together.

Every morning I came in half hour sometimes a hour early'r to get ready for service and not one thank you from the boss but the team always appreciated my work and I am of theirs without the team members Compass group good luck.

All in all is this a great company to work for Not really would i go back no Im not saying that the people who run the company are bad I just had a really bad experience with one of their sales and – more... retail managers but everyone els in the company was a ok in my books Im still friends with my former co workers and we still hang out and talk – less
Management doesn't manage.
Housekeeper, Night Shift (Former Employee), K/W Region, OntarioOctober 7, 2014
Pros: not slave labour, no longer have to work there. riding a floor scrubber is fun.
Cons: more or less everything.
Most unorganized place on earth.
Given a cleaning schedule to follow, sorted by everyday things and then other things on certain days of the week. Then a higher up manager (who has never seen your schedule) asks you why you aren't doing things daily that on your list say you aren't to do daily.

The work list changes constantly and sometimes without notice.

They hired an on-call guy for multiple locations, ended up sending him to a single location for two months straight, and then to my location for my remaining time there to fill in for someone who left on extended medical leave.
He still works there and is still "on call", they hired someone to fill my position full time though.

When an employee is absent the remaining three (plus supervisor) employees are expected to do their full jobs and the work of the missing person. This will be enforced by the supervisor who will not understand why you don't have time to talk about how you should have wiped that sink counter-clockwise instead of clock-wise for the next 20 minutes.
Location depending, supervisor will do literally nothing but read the paper when he is not walking around looking for someone to chat with.

I worked hard, starting getting getting some serious knee pain. Upon returning from a few absences I was served a Termination of Employment Without Cause. I had a doctor's note; they handed me this the second I walked in the door.
Terrible management, will hire ANYONE, terrible hours (Airport), luxurious environment (Airport Lounge)
Cook (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 30, 2014
Pros: free food for breaks
Cons: management, hours, union sucks, fellow employees incompetent, food is pretty good
I worked for Compass for 4 years and enjoyed close to 10% of my time there. The only time I had an enjoyable experience is with no management to GET IN THE WAY, and when the more knowledgeable and competent staff were in. This place seems so desperate to hire (based on the fact that anyone, at anytime will call in sick and not show) that they literally hire anyone. Most times they have various people in from an agency that know nothing about what needs to be done, and food service suffers. They offer free food for breaks, and pay MODERATELY for kitchen work, with ZERO room for advancement. The management I encountered were completely incompetent, and literally knew nothing about what needed to happen to have food service run smoothly. Assistant managers were found watching TV, or chatting with front desk female agents instead of making sure employees were doing their jobs, or helping out when there was a big rush. Compass Group is the WORST for following through with complaints from staff about anything, the union rep is LAZY and accomplishes NOTHING. Overall I personally would never work for Compass in any magnitude ever again.
Great Management, Great Atmosphere/Service Culture
Supervisor / Server (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: quick advancements, great people all around, good way to make money quickly
Cons: slow times in the off season, busy rushes at (sometimes) unexpected times
Opening the restaurant was made easy by the G.M. because everything was easily accessible and kept very tidy. The patrons of the restaurant were very friendly and rarely needed to be approached but attendance to them in a timely manner was the only hard part of the job because there were so many of them at times. The co-workers I had were extremely bright and hard working; there was rarely a job left undone by the end of the night which made closing up that much easier. The only bit of frustration would come when tournaments were held in the adjoining arenas which could create a downpour of customers of up to 200 with only 3-4 servers and 2-3 cooks on duty. Needless to say this was also amazing in its own way because that meant very little splitting of the tips we earned. Personally, I was advance several times to the second to the top position of the location with 14 months of work because as long as you could show potential and work hard, advancements were made ready.
Great first job that taught me how to be a hard worker
Jr. Sous Chef (Former Employee), Vaughan, ONAugust 20, 2014
Pros: fun work environment
Cons: schedule
A normal day would start around 7am. We would prepare breakfast, pastries, lunch specials and other food items that were made fresh daily. We would also work to cater bar mitzvahs, bris' and other types of social events. As well we would cook for the high school next door.
There were always many things to do to keep busy, which made time go by quite fast. The most enjoyable part was that two days were never the same and there was always something different to expect each day.
The hardest part of the job was the long hours and the scheduling. Since things were always changing, you never knew what to expect. Some weeks would be extremely busy, while others were very slow with almost no hours.
For the most part I feel like I grew as a person and learned a lot about myself and working hard.
Very friendly company to work for
Heavy Duty Cleaner (Current Employee), London OntarioDecember 14, 2012
i dont see the need for all the negative reviews i've seen so far, ive been with Compass Canada for almost a year and havent felt more welcomed in a job. (not to mention--needed; which is alwaays nice to know)
when you're to the point in your occupation where, you can be replaced, but you;re company / client is going to try everything in their power to keep you -- then , you KNOW you;re where you need to be.
co-workers ? awesome. friendly and laid back
management ? could be a little perked up but they try their hardest for how long theyve been here..
most enjoyable ? knowing how much of an impact my job/ abilities do for the client and people around me during my time at work.
hardest part of my job .. ? driving floor machine :) [ no big

yes, i am a heavy-duty cleaner. not kitchen help, as you would assume ...

January 24, 2013

Not sure who you work under, but where I work, the company lies, cheats,steals and cripples their employees. Sure, fellow employees are awesome, but Hitler looks like an angel compared to the Company I worked for., The company I worked for only cares about profit and nothing else, theydo not care about the needs of the patients or their employees.

Clients should do homework before hiring compass
cook (Current Employee), bownmanville ontAugust 26, 2012
Pros: time to go home
Cons: my god where do i begin
Deceitful, liars, low pay overworked understaffed. Managers not professionally trained, unskilled, pawn their duties off to employees. I have never encountered a company so unprofessional with high expectations from their staff with no rewards. Throws new staff into their job without any trainer or orientation and with hire anyone just to have a "body" present. Clients should really find out what they are getting before contracting this company there is a reason why they bid the lowest in the contracts, they are the lowest of them all. Over work ,under staff, manipulate, and unappreciated their employees. Wake up Clients read reviews, think do you want to be in the same category as Compass? I hope this review wakes up people.

October 10, 2012

I agree with this statement...this is the worst company to work for.

the hardest part of the job
Compass Group (Christenson Communities) (Current Employee), Sherwood Park, ABOctober 18, 2015
I have no problem with the co-workers nor the environment at the workplace at all. In my case as a dietary-aide it is a fulfilling job to serve nutritious food to the elderly people. The only thing that I don't like about the company is I feel like there's no stability and growth as they are very limited in terms of options and opportunity. In my example in my case I've been working there for more than a year and have not increase my hourly rate yet 'till now, no review, I've been working split shifts sometimes and the average hours are not regular every week. I asked if there's any opportunity for a full-time position and there's none but lot of part-time people in the same position. My guess is they are trying to avoid giving benefits that is why they don't like to give me full-time position.
fast paced work place with friendly co-workers and managers
Cashier (Current Employee), Morrison, QCMay 15, 2015
Pros: provides wide range of food items to eat with less money.
Cons: Somedays it gets vert busy.
The work place is very busy with thousands of customers to be served everyday. Work environment is very comfortable, with lots of space. Co- workers are very friendly and becomes a big family.

I have learned many aspects of handling customers here, angry customers, customers with disabilities, positive interaction with customers simultaneously keeping up with the work pace.

Management is very amiable.They listen to yours problems and try their best to solve them.

The hardest part of the job is spending prolonged period of hours to service customers.It gets incredibly busy at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having to meet your co workers who have become good friends and also getting to meet regular customers.
Great Atmosphere
HOUSING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Fort MacKay, AlbertaJune 3, 2014
Pros: free meals and living.
Cons: long hours (10-12 hours per shift 20 days straight)
A typical day at work was filled with different tasks from checking guests in and out of camp rooms, to reporting and taking phone calls. I learned how to navigate several new computer programs, various computer skills and office related tasks. I worked with wonderful people, who I will cherish as friends for years to come. The hardest part of the job was the various shifts I was working, and being across the country/away from my family. The most enjoyable part of the job was that I met new people every single day. We checked up to hundreds of guests in per day, and several different companies from various places stayed in our camps.
Fast paced
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 31, 2013
Pros: had schedule at beginning of season, great tips, mingled with customers
Cons: staffing was inconsistent, lack of communication throughout company
Compass Group is seasonal for me. So when I was working there (when the Ivor Wynne Stadium was up) I was a shift supervisor. I would set up/clean my zone and prepare for customers. I learned that I work well under pressure and in a fast paced environment. I also learned that I am a good leader and deli gator. I normally had 2-3 people that I was in charge of managing for the duration of the shift. Making sure they were also on top of things, such as preparing food, making sure beverages were topped up and cleanliness and keeping busy. The hardest part of the job was that it was seasonal. The most enjoyable part of the job was the energy of it.
good hours for family life
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee), Stoney Creek, ONNovember 27, 2015
Pros: Great shifts with option for over time
Cons: Gossip within staff
My time at Compass group was good. The people I worked with were friendly and the shifts were great for balancing home and work life. However the rate of pay was low when you consider the amount of work expected. I learned how to use my time effectively to accomplish all my required work. On going training was great and the support from management was good. The hardest part of my job was getting everything done, but as I said before strengthen my ability to time management. Although my co workers were friendly they was a lot of gossip between staff but it does teach you the ability to get along well with other and put your head down and just do your job.
Has great possibilities , room for growth
Chef Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 4, 2014
Pros: it is a job i enjoy
Cons: some of the hours, or additional paper work
Communication is advertised , but not alway's done .
Management support is minimal .
Finding additional or new staff seems to be a constant issue.
Finding GOOD staff to hire is difficult in the food area .
It is a great place to deal directly with the employee's of the company and see them enjoying what you have produced .
Catering functions are alway's a nice break from a regular day .
I enjoy cooking and creating new items .
The hardest part would be dealing with staff that phone in at the last minute and cant come to work , and you must cover that shift your self .
Alright place to work, not my choice in salary or managment
Kitchen Assistant/Cafeteria Assistant (Former Employee), Kanata, ONAugust 1, 2012
Pros: free lunch, lots of contact with other people
Cons: managment
A typical day at work consisted of the same thing everyday, prepare salad bar, deli bar, breakfast, etc. I learned lots about cooking and dealing with issues and people i didnt expect to come in contact with. A got along good with a lot of my co workers although i had a hard time some times with the other employee i worked with in the kitchen as she was further fired. There wasnt much in the job i couldnt handle i really loved seeing all of the customers everyday since we had the same ones so i got used to everyone and pretty much knew there orders.
Team based work environment, with a strong demand for customer satisfaction, and first class service.
Lounge Cook (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 25, 2013
Pros: free meals, great pay, awesome customers.
Cons: poor work hours (evenings), no definite finish time, poor management of staff.
Working here provided me with customer relations experience through the handling of orders and responding to "special needs" individuals who may have had complaints and/or dietary limitations. I was in charge of a multitude of logs that ensured the highest standards were kept, as well as organizing them in a way that was convenient for fellow staff, management, and auditors. I enjoyed all of the time spent with customers, handling orders, as well as engaging in conversation to ensure that standards were kept, and the most enjoyable experience was obtained.
Worst place to work
Counterhelp (Current Employee), TorontoMarch 12, 2013
Pros: minimal prices for lunch
Cons: management. short staffed.
Never have i seen a company that cut employees hours here and there just to save a few bucks and expect the ones working to work like a horse because they are to cheap to pay people to do work. Expect to work like a maniac to get things done! And management give hours to the one they like.Doesnt matter of your experience or what you do. Stay away!! Very very cheap company. Quantity not quality should be their motto. Theyre heavy on health and safety but the way the foods are put out there make you want to puke. If the paying customers only knew....
Fun Job
Receptionist-Admin- Mailroom Clerk (Current Employee), Mississauga OnNovember 30, 2012
Pros: free time
Cons: long hours --8 am to 5 pm not flexible
A typical day for me is Phonecalls--Property Management for issues within the office-Couriers-Mail. Just a very busy day for me. I have a little free time off an on. My Boss throws all the work on me since i have shown how capable i am.She is never in a good mood.The hardest part of my job is getting nasty phone calls but still being nice on the phone.I love Meeting and greeting clients who come come. I love helping anyone with their work. Almost everyone come to me for help for work or some issue in the office.
Good place to work. I am at the niagara college cafeteria.
Food Service Worker (Current Employee), Welland, ONOctober 21, 2013
Pros: like working with people
Cons: not enough hours a week and too many lay-offs when school is out make it hard to budget
It is like working an assembly line with food. I am working at the subway station at niagara college and I beleive every students are eating subs these days. My co-workers are pleasent and fun to work with. We work well as a team.I've learned safe handling of foods and to keep everything properly sanitized. The students are very pleasent and patient because the line-up for subway is always very long and we do our best to serve them pleasently and as quick as we can.
long hours unfair wages
Manager/Cook (Current Employee), Sault Ste Marie, OntarioJuly 12, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: very long hours unpaid for
WAke up at 3am go in to work off the clock to get all meals prepared for the day and caterings that are needed for that day. Will not pay over time but expect all work to be done. Iam manager, order all foods for the work, do all paperwork, cook, serve customers, all for almost minimum wage. The hardest part of the job is knowing that they want all work done, but do not want to pay for an employee that wants to provide quality food, keep standards up and complete all tasks each day. The most enjoyable part of the day is hearing how much the customers appreciate the new menus and food they are paying for and I bring them that happiness.
Not much security, do alot for no appreciation
Prep and caterer (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONJune 20, 2012
Pros: we pay 1.75 per day and can have breakfast and lunch.
Cons: they cut our hrs all the time and pay min wage and exspect so much from us
Prepare salad bar, stock cafe kiosk, stock Tim Hortons Kiosk, prepare sanwiches, and all prep for cafeteria and Tim Hortons at PRHC. I learned to do my job at a timely fashion, also do catering.
Management could be better.
My co-workers are great Iget along with people.
I really dont have a hard part its very easy same thing everyday.
Most enjoyable is we all get along so we laugh alot.

August 26, 2012

Very deceitful management will lie to employees , make promises that don't intend to keep, overwork staff, harass staff, threaten staff under pay them regarding industry rates no appreciation for any staff. This company"s management love to play GOD. Will lay you off when ever, think of only themselves and their personal gain and profit at any cost. Never in my 26 years as a Chef, have i ever encountered a company that truly lacks interpersonal skills along with understanding of the word HOSPITALITY . Beware of Compass they love to sugar coat just to get anyone regardless of experience training or certification.

January 24, 2013

I totally agree with the comment added to this. This company will lie, cheat, steal & cripple their employees and not blink an eye. In a hospital setting they do not care about the patients,or their employees, they care about one thing only and that is profit and profit only.

Headquarters