Compass Group Employee Reviews

Terrible management and team morale
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaSeptember 23, 2016
I have never worked for a company who cares so little for their employees. They do not honor or appreciate hard work from anyone, they have no idea how to treat staff. this company is all about the numbers. The management who sit in their offices benefit while the people actually doing the work get absolutely nothing. Most of the time the management team just sits in the back and pushes papers, never mind that they are still part of the team and should be helping where necessary. The food service industry is like a machine, it's either well oiled and runs smoothly or you get that one kink that brings it all crashing down. This is what working for Compas Canada is like. Good luck and stay away!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, low pay, no appreciation, treated as replaceable all the time
good company to work for...great people
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2016
I start my day early, making soups for the day. Then begin dinner prep. By 430 pm dinner is ready for the first group of night shift clients. Service is 4 hours and we batch cook throughout the entire service so food is always fresh & hot. During service we are prepping for next days dinner as well.
I have worked with many people during my years with Compass Group and am always learning new cooking techniques and recipes.
My management team is great and very supportive. My co-workers are all team players and we always help one another out.
The toughest part of the job is being away from home for such long stretches.
I love to cook so getting paid for something I love to do is a bonus.
I will play at my breek or lunch time.
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCSeptember 17, 2016
I respect my boss and co workers.
I do my job for long hours.
I follow my supervisor instructions.
I don't get to tired.
I do on time my job. If I understand I will ask my supervisor
Pros
I eat my lunch
poor management
cook/general help (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 16, 2016
compass is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. I was sworn at twice by our food service director..we were told to do online line training at home on our own time which took approx. 18hrs and we were only compensated 2hrs. then they promote only the ones they like. This is a company I wish I had never worked with they do not give any opp to advance. If you value all your hard work in the culinary business DO NOT ever work for compass you will regret it.
Pros
hours
Cons
poor management
Stressful but with right coworkers you can achieve a lot
Food Service and Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 16, 2016
Working in food services can often be very stressful, but with the right staff and right coworkers you can achieve a lot of things and grow very much within the company.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours, low budgets
Harsh and unfair enviroment.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2016
Worked as a dish washer, their was an inspection going on so the inspector told me to stop washing dishes for a half hour. I was told to do things not allowed at my age and were dangerous, i refused and got fired.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Very little break, harsh enviroment, unclean, borderline blue collar
Great place to learn and great leadership training
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONSeptember 7, 2016
Days went by quickly, constantly busy.
I learned how to speak with different types of customers. (Worked in a hospital)
Management guided me how to present myself towards harder customers and how to deal with employee relations.
My co-workers where awesome we all got along for most of the time.
The hardest part was have my co-worker differentiate the difference between me as a friend and me as a lead hand.
Best part was the different people i got to interact with on a daily basis.
Pros
Free meals, snacks and drinks
Cons
Understaffed
Great place! Great People!
Payroll Clerk (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BCAugust 22, 2016
Co-workers are exceedingly helpful and management is supportive. The main job itself can be tedious but there are always projects to be done that allows for variety.
Excellent
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 13, 2016
In this location i got to work along side an amazing head chef. Work high end functions at the Gibsons Lounge. Staff was elite and knew there stuff. Working action stations as well as concerts and sporting events was the highlight.
Pros
Amazing head Chef!
Cons
Down time
good place to work
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 6, 2016
overall good place to work
management can be proactive sometimes to help the lower level staff to solve issues
Lousy place to work. Don't go on salary!!
Chef (Former Employee) –  CanadaJuly 31, 2016
Joined this company because I thought worked for a large company would be good for my career. Wow! What a mistake, totally regret it! Don't accept a salary position they will expect 10, 12 , 14 hour days because they get rid of hourly staff and expect the salary people to pick up the slack. Lousy staff morale. Oh, and if they try to fool you with the option of raises and bonuses don't believe it! Your raise will be minimal and only senior management gets bonuses. Not the Chef doing the work. Can't say enough to warn you away from this company!!!
Pros
Free staff meal
Cons
Long hours, lousy pay, bunch of hypocrites
Food Service Company and much more.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJuly 29, 2016
The company was great to me I had a 8 year job with and received great training and coaching. The held course through out the year to teach us better ways to teach ourselves and our staff.
Great company, Great service and Great couching.
Pros
Learned a lot in a short time
Cons
Left the company
Beware of Management
Chef (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 25, 2016
An alright company to work for. The only issue is you will be thrown under the bus by any management higher up than you. Anything will be done to protect the bosses. Even if problems are from them it will be placed on the lower managers.
Pros
Hourly Staff is Great
fun company
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 20, 2016
compass is a nice company to work for. the staff and managers are easygoing individuals and helpful when you need it.
Pros
many places in the city for work
Cons
not all places on bus route
Awesome company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 20, 2016
Great work environment, proper training provided, Competitive salary & benefits, Management is so cooperative.
Good employee appreciation, unionized job provides job security.
Pros
Good employee appreciation, unionized job
Cons
summer time its slow & less hours
productive always on the move
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 10, 2016
You always have something to do non stop business. The people are wonderful. I learned that anything is possible and you gotta keep trying for what you want.
Varied work experience to broaden skills
Business Transformation Intern (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 8, 2016
The Business Transformation team at Compass Group Canada was a very fast paced and active team, always trying to make the business run smoother with advanced technology. Every project that was introduced varied from creating apps to implementing new business intelligence, giving employees a very broad range of experience.
Very busy and challenging
Assistant Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 6, 2016
Good job. Lots of management turnover. Not a stable job.
No room to advance. Management was very closed minded because of the turnover. Co-workers were wonderful. Hardest part of the job was no communication between managers and employees. Most enjoyable part of job was the people I worked with and dealt with.
Pros
Wonderful employees
Cons
No advancement
Awful Place to work
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 16, 2016
I was working at compass group and was bullied by the manager.

I had multiple staff members and customers complain about the manager.

I even filed a complaint with the supervisor.

Shortly after my complaint I was fired for being late with no warning.

I have yet to receive my final pay (~$700) and the manager and her boss both refuse to return my emails and ignore my request for pay.

I am going to the Ontario Ministry of Labor to deal with the situation.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile Workplace
Fun workplace
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  21 Colonel Samuel Smith Park Dr,June 7, 2016
We have a really energetic and young professional in our team who keep serving at their best and customers always leave with a big smile.