Compass Group Employee Reviews

School work
Caissier / Commis au service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC6 May 2017
Work advantage.

No guaranty hours.

Flexible working hours.
stressful workplace
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Ottawa5 May 2017
A typical day at work was a little bit stressful but I had some good colleagues so we were helping each other. I learned to clean the dining hall, toilet. The most enjoyable part of the job was to meet people all the time,the hardest part was when they ask you to do a task and you are not done yet, they interrupt you with another one and after that they will be shouting. It was like we are not HUMANS
Fun place to work with lots of great people!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to interact with a lot of great people...both customers and fellow employees. It is a busy store the hardest part is being efficient when ringing in customers.
Advancement is minimal, if at all.
CATERING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 May 2017
You need to be friends(or someone's partner), with senior management to move forward with this company. It is a company that would rather pay minimum wage to employees with no experience rather than focus on ser4vice excellence.
I did not learn anything here. On the contrary. I trained all of the employees under my supervision.
It was a very frustrating place to work.
Friendly environment at workplace
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Kennedy & Britannia26 April 2017
good and friendly environment ,good management ,co-worker helpful,preperation of food and plate counting is enjoyable part of job ,different type of job duties.
Great co-workers and free food, but poor management.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  London, ON25 April 2017
The only negative thing I had with this workplace was dealing with the management. They very rarely actually worked, instead they paraded around making everyone else miserable. Decreasing chances of any productivity in the workplace, they frequently brought their problems from outside of work to the workplace. It created a horribly awkward workplace when the "management" became upset because they were not getting what they wanted outside of work the way they wanted...
Pros
Free food all the time! They basically assign you a food plan, allowing you one meal and several drinks and snacks daily!
Cons
Poor management.
work place was just awesome
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 April 2017
i loved working for Compass Group, the people were awesome. never had an issue with anyone. my contract was only for a year so i had to leave. the pay was not bad
I worked with inmates
Supervisor Cook (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 April 2017
I really enjoyed this job. it payed well, the work was easy, you learned lots from the inmates. It was a very humanizing job. The only problem was working with some difficult employees.
Pros
Free food, Easy work, good wage
Cons
Inmates that do not listen, theft from inmates, difficult co-workers
Ancienne caissière de cafeteria
Caissiere (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 April 2017
J'ai travailler comme caissière dans une cafétéria en milieu scolaire et j'étais déléguer syndical en chef la gérante et l'assistante gérante c'étais nul j'ai du faire plusieurs griefs à la compagnie et j'étais à temps plein au début et j'ai quitté avec 10 hrs semaine je m'étais fait couper des heures sans préavis
Pros
J'aimais bien les etudiants
Cons
Salaire bas et gestion nul et surcharge de travail
Good Company Stuck in Office Politics
Marketing Manager, Student Engagement (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2017
Compass Canada is an amazing organization. The only problem with my experience was that the company is broken up into too many micro-departments that had different bench marks and goals. Naturally when these departments worked together their sometimes opposing agendas would lead to conflict and friction when it came to meeting timelines based on the effects of the conflict. A structure has to be put in place to create mutual beneficial relationships between the different businesses within the company to avoid such conflict.
Pros
Free Food, Good Benefits, Good Vacation Time
Cons
Unfinished hierarchical structure
worse company
Operation supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON24 March 2017
worse company to work with .. management is so pathetic and bad environment to work in.... the way they treat employees are bad and the salary sucks ...Management is not friendly and won't listen to issues ...
good benefits, full time hours
cook/manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 March 2017
Very good company to work for,I just don't like the commute.Good benefits,wages are fair.room for advancement. Full time hours.Pleasant co workers, excellent health and safety policies in place.
Pros
wages are fair, good benefits, good hours
Cons
commute is an hour long
Good to work for
Server (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC8 March 2017
Long hard hours but very friendly people. Constantly changing environment. Like learning new things and meeting new people on a daily basis. They are flexible with there scheduling and worked around my schooling. They put family first.
Pros
Lunch and Dinner included
Cons
Heavy lifting
All work and no rest
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Fraser Valley Regional District, BC26 February 2017
Almost always worked through my whole shift with no breaks. No one to pick up any slack if you don't get to every last thing. Very poor supervisor/management and always has a swinging door.
Pros
Supervisor/Staff
Cons
Always working without a break
Great Work/Life Balance!
Line Cook & Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 February 2017
Management was always changing, Pay wasn't horrible however their pay increases could be higher. Not many chances for advancement, but you are able to work independently.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management
fun
Stewart/Laundry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newfoundland and Labrador1 February 2017
was a great work experience, learned a lot and met a lot of great people along the way. nothing compares to the simple and passionate friendships made.
very demanding place to work
manager/cook/baker (Former Employee) –  across Northern Canada25 January 2017
they place too much on production, and nothing for the worker. Work hard, not enough people, unrealistic expectations from one person. People however are great and most are in good humor.
Pros
pay is not bad
Cons
long hours, never enough help
Good place as a first full-time job
Starbucks Barista (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON22 January 2017
Good pay rate, fun environment, good hours, awesome benefits. Great place to start working full-time. Very happy with this job.
Productive, efficient, and quick learner
Camp Manager (Lac Des Iles Mine) (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 January 2017
great company, offers good benefit package, with opertunity to advance.
the only disadvantage for my current employment is being away from from home half the year.
Never any advancement and very low salary
Master Chef (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB18 November 2016
I worked for three years for Compass Group, as a Supervisor of the Kitchen. I worked with people who were either skilled at their job or had no training to be there. As part of my job I was to train new employees to their station, I also was to keep the kitchen in an even run, never was I ever given any credit for my service or was I offered advancement or given a raise in pay.

Instead I was given two awards, paper certificates, for a job well done and two months later I was laid off, without cause.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no pay, no advancement, no credit for the work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Compass Group. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval