Compass Group Employee Reviews

Contracted work with too many bosses.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCFebruary 4, 2016
Operations Centre Agent - Marquise in behalf of YVR

Pros:

- Stepping stone into the aviation industry;
- Exposure to the background day-to-day operations of an International Airport;
- Great networking opportunity;
- Working with like-minded young professionals;
- Mid-range salary (better than most entry positions in the industry).

Cons:

- Everyone is your boss (Compass Canada, Marquise, YVR, Airlines, Contractors, Tenants...etc);
- Customer Service role heavy with complaints and repeating inquiries being a daily occurrence;
- Minimal advancement opportunity within Marquise and Compass Canada that is aviation related;
- Being a contractor means restricted advancement opportunity into the airport authority;
- The role is continuously given more responsibilities, grows complex, and requirements for the job are always added. But the salary is not changed to match the additional workload and liability.
Cultue
Sr. Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 29, 2016
Good working culture. Great team environment. Several management change. Diverse recruiting practice. High volume and can be demanding at times but it is a large food service company.
Pros
Great for foodies
good hours for family life
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONNovember 27, 2015
My time at Compass group was good. The people I worked with were friendly and the shifts were great for balancing home and work life. However the rate of pay was low when you consider the amount of work expected. I learned how to use my time effectively to accomplish all my required work. On going training was great and the support from management was good. The hardest part of my job was getting everything done, but as I said before strengthen my ability to time management. Although my co workers were friendly they was a lot of gossip between staff but it does teach you the ability to get along well with other and put your head down and just do your job.
Pros
Great shifts with option for over time
Cons
Gossip within staff
Terrible management and team morale
Food Service Worker (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaSeptember 23, 2016
I have never worked for a company who cares so little for their employees. They do not honor or appreciate hard work from anyone, they have no idea how to treat staff. this company is all about the numbers. The management who sit in their offices benefit while the people actually doing the work get absolutely nothing. Most of the time the management team just sits in the back and pushes papers, never mind that they are still part of the team and should be helping where necessary. The food service industry is like a machine, it's either well oiled and runs smoothly or you get that one kink that brings it all crashing down. This is what working for Compas Canada is like. Good luck and stay away!
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, low pay, no appreciation, treated as replaceable all the time
good company to work for...great people
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2016
I start my day early, making soups for the day. Then begin dinner prep. By 430 pm dinner is ready for the first group of night shift clients. Service is 4 hours and we batch cook throughout the entire service so food is always fresh & hot. During service we are prepping for next days dinner as well.
I have worked with many people during my years with Compass Group and am always learning new cooking techniques and recipes.
My management team is great and very supportive. My co-workers are all team players and we always help one another out.
The toughest part of the job is being away from home for such long stretches.
I love to cook so getting paid for something I love to do is a bonus.
Assistant Lead Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJanuary 30, 2016
If you love Hamilton and love the Hamilton Tiger Cats this place is probably the best place to work! Of course you work in the concessions but the atmosphere in the stadium is absolutely incredible. The people I worked with were amazing and all the staff is super friendly. There was a lot of disorganization with making sure we had food and scheduling. The hours were bad unless you were well liked and knew the management so you could come in and work during the week but if not you had the one day a week schedule. Overall the place was just so much fun and I highly recommend it to anybody who is looking for their first job or looking for some extra cash!
Pros
Free food
Cons
Few hours
Lousy place to work. Don't go on salary!!
Chef (Former Employee) –  CanadaJuly 31, 2016
Joined this company because I thought worked for a large company would be good for my career. Wow! What a mistake, totally regret it! Don't accept a salary position they will expect 10, 12 , 14 hour days because they get rid of hourly staff and expect the salary people to pick up the slack. Lousy staff morale. Oh, and if they try to fool you with the option of raises and bonuses don't believe it! Your raise will be minimal and only senior management gets bonuses. Not the Chef doing the work. Can't say enough to warn you away from this company!!!
Pros
Free staff meal
Cons
Long hours, lousy pay, bunch of hypocrites
Great place to learn and great leadership training
Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONSeptember 7, 2016
Days went by quickly, constantly busy.
I learned how to speak with different types of customers. (Worked in a hospital)
Management guided me how to present myself towards harder customers and how to deal with employee relations.
My co-workers where awesome we all got along for most of the time.
The hardest part was have my co-worker differentiate the difference between me as a friend and me as a lead hand.
Best part was the different people i got to interact with on a daily basis.
Pros
Free meals, snacks and drinks
Cons
Understaffed
exciting and energetic environment
Operations Manager, Simon Fraser University (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJune 6, 2016
Every day provides a new opportunity to try something creative in order to meet the extremely quickly-changing needs on the campus. Whether it's a pop-BBQ to take advantage of some good weather, or a special menu for the President's Office, the possibilities are endless.
The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help each outlet manager develop, and help them to develop their teams, growing them into future unit managers themselves.
The challenge is to always be on top of upcoming dates of events all over the campus and anticipate the needs of each unit to deliver the service needed.
poor management
cook/general help (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 16, 2016
compass is one of the worst companies I have ever worked for. I was sworn at twice by our food service director..we were told to do online line training at home on our own time which took approx. 18hrs and we were only compensated 2hrs. then they promote only the ones they like. This is a company I wish I had never worked with they do not give any opp to advance. If you value all your hard work in the culinary business DO NOT ever work for compass you will regret it.
Pros
hours
Cons
poor management
Chef supervisor
Chef Superivor (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCMarch 24, 2016
Lack of training that was promised upon hire and and no support from staff or management. Allowed buliies to continue working and the victim quit. There is no consistent work ethics policy and procedure are only being followed by those that the company wants to try get rid of.
Pros
Cons
No adequate training or consistent training for all staff lack of respect from staff
exciting
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 11, 2016
I really like how they always had another job to reach for. Advancement was always a possibility and I could take pride in my work.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
tendious
Awful Place to work
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 16, 2016
I was working at compass group and was bullied by the manager.

I had multiple staff members and customers complain about the manager.

I even filed a complaint with the supervisor.

Shortly after my complaint I was fired for being late with no warning.

I have yet to receive my final pay (~$700) and the manager and her boss both refuse to return my emails and ignore my request for pay.

I am going to the Ontario Ministry of Labor to deal with the situation.
Benefits
Cons
Hostile Workplace
Great place, great co-workers.
Retail Associate/Server (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 9, 2015
A typical day usually would start with a meeting, going over a lot of training provided. While getting everyone involved in carefully reading every guideline. I learned that teamwork is needed in order to survive in this workplace setting. Management is good, they are very at tentative. They have good emotional intelligence. The hardest part of the job is getting the speed down, hustling to serve every customer while maintaining an upbeat attitude and great customer service. The most enjoyable part of the part of the job would have to be the employee appreciation day, getting to know your co-workers at a different level.
Pros
Free food/drinks.
Cons
None.
Absolutely ridiculous
Housekeeper at a Long Term Living Facility (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONMarch 5, 2016
The pay is always short, the hours are complete bs. They tell you it's a part time job, it's actually a casual. They have the absolute worst management and are simply disorganized.
I do not recommend working for this company.
Cons
All lies, no management, pay is wrong wveyr pay cheque.
Varied work experience to broaden skills
Business Transformation Intern (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 8, 2016
The Business Transformation team at Compass Group Canada was a very fast paced and active team, always trying to make the business run smoother with advanced technology. Every project that was introduced varied from creating apps to implementing new business intelligence, giving employees a very broad range of experience.
Very busy and challenging
Assistant Manager Operations (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 6, 2016
Good job. Lots of management turnover. Not a stable job.
No room to advance. Management was very closed minded because of the turnover. Co-workers were wonderful. Hardest part of the job was no communication between managers and employees. Most enjoyable part of job was the people I worked with and dealt with.
Pros
Wonderful employees
Cons
No advancement
work environment was excellent
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABMarch 5, 2016
While working at Compass group I was able to learn a lot about the oilsands and how everything works
I was able to attend online courses to improve my management and supervisory skills
the hardest part of the job
Compass Group (Christenson Communities) (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABOctober 18, 2015
I have no problem with the co-workers nor the environment at the workplace at all. In my case as a dietary-aide it is a fulfilling job to serve nutritious food to the elderly people. The only thing that I don't like about the company is I feel like there's no stability and growth as they are very limited in terms of options and opportunity. In my example in my case I've been working there for more than a year and have not increase my hourly rate yet 'till now, no review, I've been working split shifts sometimes and the average hours are not regular every week. I asked if there's any opportunity for a full-time position and there's none but lot of part-time people in the same position. My guess is they are trying to avoid giving benefits that is why they don't like to give me full-time position.
Harsh and unfair enviroment.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2016
Worked as a dish washer, their was an inspection going on so the inspector told me to stop washing dishes for a half hour. I was told to do things not allowed at my age and were dangerous, i refused and got fired.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Very little break, harsh enviroment, unclean, borderline blue collar